A COVID Cup is a Dud

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

minneapolis
Club Player

Re: A COVID Cup is a Dud

B.M wrote: Thu 23 Sep 2021 12:44am So us making the finals last season was worthless?

Okay, so am I supposed to be happy we didn’t make the finals this season?!

I’m confused?!?!

Seriously l, I’d give my left nut to be in Melbourne’s position right now.
I would like to as well but I lost mine in a bet.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote: Thu 23 Sep 2021 3:08am
Vortex wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 3:02pm
kosifantutti wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 2:38pm
Yorkeys wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 1:47pm On that general theme, the 57 year Melbourne drought angle is an arguable stat I think, although of course a romantic notion of triumph after long term failure.

AFL started in 1990 I think with a couple of teams from interstate, Crows in 1993? then Freo and Port later. So its not anything like it was in '64 i.e. plenty of significant changes to the comp Victorian teams play in since Dees last saluted. Further and notwithstanding that the last two years' comp has been the best compromise the AFL could be expected to come up with and all power/credit to it, there have been other issues like the long standing almost random uneven draw, all the salary cap rorts by bigger clubs over time, the drug rumours around Geelong and the actual drugging of Essendon players.

Saying its 57 years of comparable contests is disingenuous. Sure the MFC seniors have not won the comp it has competed in since then but each time there is a significant change to a comp the clock surely resets to zero. The 57 years since meme is simply not comparing like with like, fair?
Whichever way you look at it, it’s been 55 years since we won a flag and it will be 56 by the time we get another chance. Lots of people here have been supporting the club right through that time. I can’t remember feeling any different when the Eagles joined or any of the other changes.

And I wouldn’t give a rat’s tossbag what other people said about COVID cups if we had snagged it last year or this year.
Some people are happy with meat and some people think Spam is meat.
Spam was invented in Minnesota so we think it is meat. (I like it fried when camping).
I love fried animal gizzards too but I prefer real meat.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

roskilde wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 11:04pm Oh great this pathetic argument again. Last year embarrassing people who espouse this rubbish were saying 'Saints are only doing well cause COVID hurr durr asterisk cup'

This year we struggled but now the narrative is 'COVID Asterisk cup cause Treloar feels build up different to GF hurr durr'.

Sad.

If anything these two tough years make the achievement all the more special. The asterisk in this case should be to indicate what an outstanding achievement it was in difficult times to stay strong and win a cup not a mark of diminishment.
If the Dogs win they are the only team that can claim they were disadvantaged in difficult times, Melbourne not so much.
And so it won't surprise if the Dogs get smashed as a result and then Melbourne should have two asterisk next to their flag.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

And every Victorian team who beats an interstate team in the GF should have an asterisk next to theirs... :roll:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I doubt the supporters of Melbourne, after winning their 13th flag or the supporters of the Bulldogs, after winning their 3rd flag, or the clubs themselves, will give a toss about asterisks.

That's a cling on for those who barrack for clubs who have only one flag in their long dismal existence. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Thu 23 Sep 2021 1:10pm I doubt the supporters of Melbourne, after winning their 13th flag or the supporters of the Bulldogs, after winning their 3rd flag, or the clubs themselves, will give a toss about asterisks.

That's a cling on for those who barrack for clubs who have only one flag in their long dismal existence. :lol:
Lots of disappointed fans and family and friends who can't participate in the buildup or the game. Probably suits the fans who only watch footy on TV because fortunately for them the Media use a lot of smoke and mirrors to trick the audience into believing everything is normal.

I'd be shattered if I couldn't go to the parade or the GF if we were in it and I would possibly be most devastated if I couldn't go to Moorabbin after the GF if we won the flag and couldn't celebrate with supporters and the club and the players.

But hey I'm guessing the Melbourne players and fans will be happy for the players to celebrate their victory in a hotel room on their own...afterall that is what every player dreams of.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If I had to be locked up in a prison cell for a week and miss the entire build up and game for StK to win a premiership

I’d be happy to

Going to a GF could be the best day of your life, or as was the case in 97 the worst day of mine!!!!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 23 Sep 2021 2:31pm If I had to be locked up in a prison cell for a week and miss the entire build up and game for StK to win a premiership

I’d be happy to

Going to a GF could be the best day of your life, or as was the case in 97 the worst day of mine!!!!
Mine too. After the game I was seated next to a smirking Adelaide supporter in full gear on a plane bound for Canberra.

I told him if he said one word to me I wouldn't be responsible for what happened to him.
The smirk quickly disappeared. The journey continued in peace.
Last edited by saynta on Thu 23 Sep 2021 9:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 23 Sep 2021 2:31pm If I had to be locked up in a prison cell for a week and miss the entire build up and game for StK to win a premiership

I’d be happy to

Yeah I suppose different strokes for different folks, sharing the dream is what it's about for most. I'm guessing you're
loving lockdown and the solitude.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

So the GF is illegitimate because people can't go to the parade??

Surely this is just trolling at this point?!?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Not loving lockdown

Can’t play golf

It’s f***ing my cricket pre season

And I am missing going to work!!!!

Solitude?!?!
I’ve got two teenage kids at home!!! No solitude there!!!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 23 Sep 2021 6:51pm Not loving lockdown

Can’t play golf

Solitude?!?!
Make love to your wife

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

magnifisaint wrote: Thu 23 Sep 2021 8:15pm

Can’t play golf

Solitude?!?!
Make love to your wife
But what's he going to do for the other 23 hours & 58 minutes :wink:

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Thu 23 Sep 2021 8:21pm
magnifisaint wrote: Thu 23 Sep 2021 8:15pm

Can’t play golf

Solitude?!?!
Make love to your wife
But what's he going to do for the other 23 hours & 58 minutes :wink:
Bask in the afterglow of 2 minuutes well spent

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 23 Sep 2021 11:09am And every Victorian team who beats an interstate team in the GF should have an asterisk next to theirs... :roll:
In a national competition, all teams are interstate teams.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 23 Sep 2021 3:51pm So the GF is illegitimate because people can't go to the parade??

Surely this is just trolling at this point?!?
+1

I can't be arsed responding to the op directly

<edited by mods>

I suppose next he'll be saying the kids that graduated from uni or got their HSC have not really earned it

I googled vortex and this is what I came up with (try it yourself and add another word like toilet or coronavirus just for fun)

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/toil ... les-2020-6

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/16/heal ... shing.html

<1 day ban for negative commentary on another poster>

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 23 Sep 2021 11:14pm
The_Dud wrote: Thu 23 Sep 2021 11:09am And every Victorian team who beats an interstate team in the GF should have an asterisk next to theirs... :roll:
It's interesting isn't it how after all these years how so many Victorians still view the game as being a Victorian game, what's it been, 31 years since the game was made national.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Not a truly national game until you have teams from the ACT, NT and Tasmania in the competition.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 8:59am
It's interesting isn't it how after all these years how so many Victorians still view the game as being a Victorian game, what's it been, 31 years since the game was made national.
So why do Victorian teams get to play the GF at their home ground every year? Massive disadvantage to travelling teams. Compromised results, put an asterisk next to them. Sad.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Still dominated by Victoria

10 teams
GF in Melbourne
AFL commission in Vic
AFL operations in Vic
50% of draftees from Vic
No Team from Tas

It’s the VFL with interstate teams IMO

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 11:00am Still dominated by Victoria

10 teams
GF in Melbourne
AFL commission in Vic
AFL operations in Vic
50% of draftees from Vic
No Team from Tas

Yeah as I say, your view is a prevailing one still dominated by Victorians from the pre 1990 era and if you listen to people from outside Victoria they'll be quick to tell you the comp is compromised due to its Victorian centricity.

IMO Tasmania will get a team at the expense of one or more Victorian clubs, the obvious choice is ours and/or North.

10 clubs in Victoria is the elephant in the room when it comes to voting on a Tasmanian team.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I don't know about you but I was more than happy with the 12 team VFL competition. The best in Australia.

The AFL only came about because the Head Honchos in collaboration with the TV guys wanted to play games on Sundays but the Victorian Government wouldn't let them because of the VFA lobby.

Result was they shifted games to Sydney and then shifted the Sth Melbourne team to sin city lock stock and barrel.

Only problem was that only provided games for two Sundays a month, hence the AFL was born. WA and SA were pissed off with Victoria stealing all their best players so were more than willing to join.

I am still pissed off.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 12:23pm I don't know about you but I was more than happy with the 12 team VFL competition. The best in Australia.

The AFL only came about because the Head Honchos in collaboration with the TV guys wanted to play games on Sundays but the Victorian Government wouldn't let them because of the VFA lobby.

Result was they shifted games to Sydney and then shifted the Sth Melbourne team to sin city lock stock and barrel.

Only problem was that only provided games for two Sundays a month, hence the AFL was born. WA and SA were pissed off with Victoria stealing all their best players so were more than willing to join.

I am still pissed off.
I'd be lying if I said I don't occasionally reminisce about footy at the old suburban grounds and the way things were at Moorabbin however I'm also cognisant of this capatilist economic model we are born into and how making money is mankind's primary pursuit so there will never be any tuning back.

Having said that I also often wonder about a business model that will someday support boutique grounds. As we know sometimes things can go full circle.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 8:59am
That's right. I don't think the Eagles, Crows et al see themselves as interstate teams.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 11:00am Still dominated by Victoria

10 teams
GF in Melbourne
AFL commission in Vic
AFL operations in Vic
50% of draftees from Vic
No Team from Tas

Lol.

GF in Melbourne?!