Jarrod Brander

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

diddley
Club Player

Re: Jarrod Brander

IluvHarvey wrote: Tue 19 Oct 2021 10:53am For me there are three questions we need to ask?
1. Does he walk into the best 22?
2. Is he a Back up Key Backman?
3. Is he a Back up Ruckman?

For me these are the three areas we need to look at for any DFA.

The answers are no, no and no.

Pass for me.
I absolutely agree with you here when discussing trade and drafting.
But when referring to Free Agents (especially DFAs) I think the risk is minimal, with a higher capacity for reward.
While I think that Frawley and McKernan were essentially a fail this year, nothing was lost, and they got cut at the end of the year. I’m not upset about any of this.
But when you consider the cost involved in getting Hill (and say McCartin) to the team, whether it was the right or wrong thing to do, it adds extra layers of expectations every time, and therefore there is more to lose.
I see that there is nothing to lose picking up a few of these DFAs who have lacked opportunity in the hardest 2 years to show what you can do when given the chance.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jarrod Brander

IluvHarvey wrote: Tue 19 Oct 2021 10:53am For me there are three questions we need to ask?
1. Does he walk into the best 22?
2. Is he a Back up Key Backman?
3. Is he a Back up Ruckman?

For me these are the three areas we need to look at for any DFA.

The answers are no, no and no.

Pass for me.
I'd soften the first one to state "Does he walk into the best 22, or put genuine pressure on those in it to perform?"