No more Ben King ….

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: No more Ben King ….

I don’t fully agree with the idea that he isn’t a good fit your our needs. Our needs are what?
To patch up a blanket or quilt that is very medium quality. I think getting Ben would create a new frame of thinking - a new and better frame to assess needs.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I don't like the idea that getting one high profile player will fix everything. It never does. What would he cost? Two first round draft picks and a second rounder? That could quite possibly rob us of more value in the end.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 10 Mar 2022 7:22pm I don’t fully agree with the idea that he isn’t a good fit your our needs. Our needs are what?
To patch up a blanket or quilt that is very medium quality. I think getting Ben would create a new frame of thinking - a new and better frame to assess needs.
He is seriously injured and about to have 12 months of. Couldn't be further from what we need. I get the upside for the future but sorry we may as well bring back Trout to set the deal up.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

It was a nice thought bring Bing & Ming together but as soon as he did his knee I knew it was never gunna happen & I seriously doubt it ever will now. Lets just move on & set our sites on gun mid IMO anyway

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Well I'm disappointed.
Together they would be unstoppable and give us a massive advantage.
Hopefully he comes to us down the track.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Well I'm disappointed.
Together they would be unstoppable and give us a massive advantage.
Hopefully he comes to us down the track.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

An amazing double act and a massive drawcard. Pity it doesn't loo like happening.

wally
Club Player

I think it’s great that he made a decision and signed up . End of story. The media speculation and carry on would have done everyone’s head in including this forum

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

two year extension tells me he is keeping options open whilst securing his financial future. plenty of time in his career to play at the saints. and at the end of the extension we'll know whether he truly recovered from his injury. you'd have to be a true prick to leave a club in which you played out your final year on the sidelines at their expense. he's done the right thing by them and him.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

desertsaint wrote: Fri 11 Mar 2022 7:22am two year extension tells me he is keeping options open whilst securing his financial future. plenty of time in his career to play at the saints. and at the end of the extension we'll know whether he truly recovered from his injury. you'd have to be a true prick to leave a club in which you played out your final year on the sidelines at their expense. he's done the right thing by them and him.
Agree with this. I'm sure this opens up plenty of other options for us in the short term.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Fri 11 Mar 2022 7:22am two year extension tells me he is keeping options open whilst securing his financial future. plenty of time in his career to play at the saints. and at the end of the extension we'll know whether he truly recovered from his injury. you'd have to be a true prick to leave a club in which you played out your final year on the sidelines at their expense. he's done the right thing by them and him.
From what I've heard via a source close to the club, the 2 year deal was always what was being negotiated long before he did his knee. The deal includes the promise of a mega 5 year deal at the end of the 2 years. The wheels would have to fall off the club for Ben not to take that deal is my reading of the situation.

There seems to be this assumption Ben himself shares the same fairytale desire to play for StKilda as some of the fans but from what I hear he couldn't be more happy at the GC. This point alone seems to be impossible for Victorian's to understand. There even a couple of people at our club who were involved in attempts to lure him to the club who will attest to his happiness at the GC.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 11 Mar 2022 9:30am
From what I've heard via a source close to the club, the 2 year deal was always what was being negotiated long before he did his knee. The deal includes the promise of a mega 5 year deal at the end of the 2 years. The wheels would have to fall off the club for Ben not to take that deal is my reading of the situation.

There seems to be this assumption Ben himself shares the same fairytale desire to play for StKilda as some of the fans but from what I hear he couldn't be more happy at the GC. This point alone seems to be impossible for Victorian's to understand. There even a couple of people at our club who were involved in attempts to lure him to the club who will attest to his happiness at the GC.
Yes, he has played 53 games and is injured and all their young stars are poised to commit after he does.
By the time his new deal is done he won't have 100 games under his belt and will have pocketed around $4m but the big 5 year mega deal is dangling in the background. Sounds like a lets 'suck it and see' deal to me. I wish them both the best of luck.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 11 Mar 2022 10:33am

Yes, he has played 53 games and is injured and all their young stars are poised to commit after he does.
By the time his new deal is done he won't have 100 games under his belt and will have pocketed around $4m but the big 5 year mega deal is dangling in the background. Sounds like a lets 'suck it and see' deal to me. I wish them both the best of luck.
I think the industry corrected itself after the Boyd era of paying young players mega deals before their time. I believe the AFL stepped in.

I think conventional wisdom now is to only offer the mega deals post 100 games and/or around the mid twenties age bracket.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 11 Mar 2022 11:20am
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 11 Mar 2022 10:33am

I think the industry corrected itself after the Boyd era of paying young players mega deals before their time. I believe the AFL stepped in.

I think conventional wisdom now is to only offer the mega deals post 100 games and/or around the mid twenties age bracket.
Conventional wisdom and the GCS? Surely those 2 things have no place in the same thread.
Reality is, they set the price of $800k + on Ben's head before he turned 20, after only 12 games.
You can call it Ambassadorial funds, 2 year agreements or what ever you like, this part of the business has nothing to do with success or loyalty and given the covid discount of 20%, that's Boyd money, all the way.
Now he is going into a year of rehab, far from home and family and his girlfriend is about to move in. Maybe he should have a beer with Tom. No pressure at all.
Like I said, they'll have to suck it and see.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

I understand the lure of the gc. Moved here in Dec 2019. Still here. Wouldn't have even contemplated a move to Melbourne - bad weather, overcrowded, polluted, despotic politicians, thuggish police, terrible traffic, expensive housing, s*** beaches, ugly lbuildings, boring landscape. Etc, etc.
If i was Ben i'd stay. But melbourne peeps are strangely strongly defensive about their city and obviously love it. So who knows?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saynta
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Fri 11 Mar 2022 2:24pm

I understand the lure of the gc. Moved here in Dec 2019. Still here. Wouldn't have even contemplated a move to Melbourne - bad weather, overcrowded, polluted, despotic politicians, thuggish police, terrible traffic, expensive housing, s*** beaches, ugly lbuildings, boring landscape. Etc, etc.
If i was Ben i'd stay. But melbourne peeps are strangely strongly defensive about their city and obviously love it. So who knows?
I agree with you. World's most livable city? What a load of crap.

I would be more worried about Ben trying to lure his brother north.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

The story goes that Simon Lethlean overrode the recruiting team to draft Max King rather than Conner Rozee.

Seems to me that Lethers will now be rubbing his hands together planning to get Ben to StKFC as a free agent when he comes off contract .

If we play finals the next couple of years then why wouldn’t Ben want to live out his child hood dream?

Like Lynch before him, Ben will want to play finals.
I’ve got no doubt we will be his first preference.
By re-signing he’s given us a couple of years to prove to him that we are worthy.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I live only part time in Melbourne these days, I spend as much time as I can in the tropic state. Born and raised in Melbourne and still have a house close to Moorabbin but spend as little time there as possible. I haven't been back since the Pandemic hit. It's like the Pandemic never happened where I live in Qld.

Ben loves it at the GC and why wouldn’t he. Great place for a fella in his 20s getting paid big coin and the world at his feet. Max would be jealous.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I can still see a time when Ben and Max are playing for the same team, i think it's more likely it will be the Gold Coast Suns rather than the Saints. :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Suns have talent and good coach if he is given a fair crack (yes you Hun). Melb has horrendous traffic. No brainer at the salary he is getting.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Sad news would’ve been absolutely fantastic for our club

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

I'm saddened. I would love to see the king towers of morrabbin....but as I posted Sept 8,2021 from my crystal ball....Ben is a twin who does not want to be constantly measured against his brother...every play, every move, every haircut....not to mention all BS cutesy names the fans, forums, teammates, media etc etc would come up with ....

No identity of his own forever one of two.....but we aren't smart enough to package it in such a way that he'd be somewhat protected... because the club's PR are frothing to make a damn mockery of his life....

I'm glad he's got space to be Ben...and when he's back up and gunning he will NEVER come to St Kilda.

That's the sad truth. If we wanted him we needed to sacrifice everything to grab them both at the draft.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 11 Mar 2022 4:42pm

I live only part time in Melbourne these days, I spend as much time as I can in the tropic state. Born and raised in Melbourne and still have a house close to Moorabbin but spend as little time there as possible. I haven't been back since the Pandemic hit. It's like the Pandemic never happened where I live in Qld.

Ben loves it at the GC and why wouldn’t he. Great place for a fella in his 20s getting paid big coin and the world at his feet. Max would be jealous.
Sounds like you've invented a new life for yourself Vortex, congratulations. I must ask why all the other fellas in their 20's haven't hung around? The only thing that's changed about the GC in the last 20 years is that it's become less attractive.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 11 Mar 2022 9:03pm

Sounds like you've invented a new life for yourself Vortex, congratulations. I must ask why all the other fellas in their 20's haven't hung around? The only thing that's changed about the GC in the last 20 years is that it's become less attractive.
So you spend a bit of time at the GC yourself GL? Business or pleasure, or both?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 11 Mar 2022 9:03pm

Gold Coast?
Toon town for tourists wouldn’t p!ss on it
Seriously devoid of any culture and tacky theme parks
I do like Sunshine Coast
But I like service overseas and price better than both
On footy - 2 years options open maybe he knows Clarko in the frame ??
Anyway move on fix the midfield talent gap

“Yeah….nah””