Jack Hayes - ACL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Hayes - ACL

meher baba wrote: Sat 23 Apr 2022 9:27am He showed enough already to prove that he is worthy of an extended contract, and the club has done the right thing by him and for itself.

I’m not sure that he would have been a regular first team selection if he had nor been injured, so his loss is not catastrophic for our chances this year. But he was a terrific backup player. He’ll definitely be missed.
He was our third ruck and due the injury toll that rucks take he would have got very frequent games as he did.
He lacks height but reminds me of Paul Harding a guy who had ruck craft but was just too short to be a dominant ruckman at AFL level.
But that was probably not required.
A second ruck only needs to contest when the opposition goes to their second ruck.
He just needs to compete against their first ruck occasionally where the job is to COMPETE in a manner to stop the opposition ruck from getting a free hit out.

That is what happened at throw ins when Battle had to take over first ruck duties.
Battle tried but was unable to disrupt the opposition rucks.
The Saints lost the hit outs 19 to 72
That's a compete mauling
Fortunately clearances only 36 to 46
But then if you take all the stats where St Kilda only led in handballs & marks you would not believe the score line.

Even after applying disposal efficient to disposals gives GWS the edge.
The one thing St Kilda had was superior coaching.

9 years and still Leon Cameron has not taught GWS to defend, how to attack, how to play as a team, how to play with system.
Too much talent gifted by the AFL made a poor coach competitive over those 9 years.
Giants cabinet should be full of trophies.
They will be a threat if they ever get just an ordinary coach.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Sat 23 Apr 2022 10:09am Even after applying disposal efficient to disposals gives GWS the edge.
The one thing St Kilda had was superior coaching.

9 years and still Leon Cameron has not taught GWS to defend, how to attack, how to play as a team, how to play with system.
Too much talent gifted by the AFL made a poor coach competitive over those 9 years.
Giants cabinet should be full of trophies.
They will be a threat if they ever get just an ordinary coach.
They were a threat under Leon Cameron in the past. It's not exactly clear what's happened to them, other than that - having lost Jeremy Cameron - their forward line doesn't have enough potency to produce goals out of the good work done by their midfield and half back line to win the ball. And, yes, there is something more wrong with them than that, and the coach has to take a fair degree of responsibility for that. Their fitness is down, their morale is down, and they don't move the ball forward with the sort of zip as we and the other better clubs are able to do.

in short, they're a mess. Remember the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth on here and BF when the unlikely rumours that we were about to sign Kelly proved to be untrue. Who cares so much now? (And, yes, I reckon he'd be a much better performer now if he had come to us, but Jones and Crouch are doing ok for us so far.)

The AFL has a big problem here. They are about to enter into new negotiations for TV rights which they hope to finalise by the end of the year. And that means it's now too late to do anything about GWS's list before then (they desperately need a decent full forward, if nothing else). It's the AFL's fault: they should have somehow found a way to stop J Cameron going to the Cats, which did nothing for the AFL in terms of its business strategy. I think they believed GWS was strong enough as it was, but they were wrong. A GWS floating around the bottom of the table is a complete waste of time and energy. Although Max King wouldn't solve the AFL's and GWS's immediate problems, if I were St Kilda I'd still be looking for a way right now to secure him for a long, long time.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Trixilver
Club Player

meher baba wrote: Sat 23 Apr 2022 10:30am The AFL has a big problem here. They are about to enter into new negotiations for TV rights which they hope to finalise by the end of the year. And that means it's now too late to do anything about GWS's list before then (they desperately need a decent full forward, if nothing else). It's the AFL's fault: they should have somehow found a way to stop J Cameron going to the Cats, which did nothing for the AFL in terms of its business strategy. I think they believed GWS was strong enough as it was, but they were wrong. A GWS floating around the bottom of the table is a complete waste of time and energy. Although Max King wouldn't solve the AFL's and GWS's immediate problems, if I were St Kilda I'd still be looking for a way right now to secure him for a long, long time.
Does it strike anyone else as odd that a team who are not doing so well is bad for the AFL? Isn't that some kind of conflict of interest/corruption that the AFL be concerned and potentially step in to fix things to get a specific team performing well? Perhaps Ryder's suspension would have only been one week if we weren't playing GWS this week.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Trixilver wrote: Sat 23 Apr 2022 10:38am
meher baba wrote: Sat 23 Apr 2022 10:30am The AFL has a big problem here. They are about to enter into new negotiations for TV rights which they hope to finalise by the end of the year. And that means it's now too late to do anything about GWS's list before then (they desperately need a decent full forward, if nothing else). It's the AFL's fault: they should have somehow found a way to stop J Cameron going to the Cats, which did nothing for the AFL in terms of its business strategy. I think they believed GWS was strong enough as it was, but they were wrong. A GWS floating around the bottom of the table is a complete waste of time and energy. Although Max King wouldn't solve the AFL's and GWS's immediate problems, if I were St Kilda I'd still be looking for a way right now to secure him for a long, long time.
Does it strike anyone else as odd that a team who are not doing so well is bad for the AFL? Isn't that some kind of conflict of interest/corruption that the AFL be concerned and potentially step in to fix things to get a specific team performing well? Perhaps Ryder's suspension would have only been one week if we weren't playing GWS this week.
Its essential to the future of the game for it to have a strong presence in NSW. Without that presence, the money for broadcast rights will be significantly less. It’s probably going to be less in future anyway, due to increased competition for viewers and advertising rights.

I don’t like it any more than you do, but AFL is a business.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift