INs & OUTs v Swans

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: INs & OUTs v Swans

Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 12:53am This might sound wierd but I think the obvious changes are Steele in and NWM out and someone out for DMac which is Byrnes so from there it's a question of who comes in for Marshall who will either be dropped for under preforming or for having an injury that needs rest, take your pick but probably a little from column A and a little from column B.

Bringing Sharman in would be a mistake I feel, looks good at VFL level, but looks VFL level in the big time. Got to keep backing this side now especially after Ratts unloaded on the team. On paper we had our best team for the year against the Bombers, with Steele back in it will almost be our best team on paper for many years so let's see what they've got. Exciting times ahead.
Sharman hasn't been huge contributor in his senior games this season, but is more value than Higgins, Butler or Clark's efforts the other night

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 8:34am
Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 12:53am This might sound wierd but I think the obvious changes are Steele in and NWM out and someone out for DMac which is Byrnes so from there it's a question of who comes in for Marshall who will either be dropped for under preforming or for having an injury that needs rest, take your pick but probably a little from column A and a little from column B.

Bringing Sharman in would be a mistake I feel, looks good at VFL level, but looks VFL level in the big time. Got to keep backing this side now especially after Ratts unloaded on the team. On paper we had our best team for the year against the Bombers, with Steele back in it will almost be our best team on paper for many years so let's see what they've got. Exciting times ahead.
Sharman hasn't been huge contributor in his senior games this season, but is more value than Higgins, Butler or Clark's efforts the other night
As I said in another thread, it's looking like Sharman is good at VFL level but not so good at AFL level. The other players you mention are proven AFL performers who had a bad game...along with nearly every other player so a bit of a different situation with regards to Sharman and proving he belongs on an AFL field just yet.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 8:55am

As I said in another thread, it's looking like Sharman is good at VFL level but not so good at AFL level. The other players you mention are proven AFL performers who had a bad game...along with nearly every other player so a bit of a different situation with regards to Sharman and proving he belongs on an AFL field just yet.
Sharman has started 7 games and kicked 13 goals (2 goals a game average at AFL level) ...... if you want to keep making a fool of yourself .... please crack on ....

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 9:33am

Sharman has started 7 games and kicked 13 goals (2 goals a game average at AFL level) ...... if you want to keep making a fool of yourself .... please crack on ....
and yet he can't get a game in a side that is desperately screaming out for a tall forward, maybe give Ratts a call and set him straight.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 9:37am

and yet he can't get a game in a side that is desperately screaming out for a tall forward, maybe give Ratts a call and set him straight.
So he isn't getting a game because the Match Committee think he is useless or he isn't getting a game because the Match Committe prefer a small forward set up and like to watch King getting mauled by 2 or 3 defenders every week?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 9:51am
Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 9:37am

So he isn't getting a game because the Match Committee think he is useless or he isn't getting a game because the Match Committe prefer a small forward set up and like to watch King getting mauled by 2 or 3 defenders every week?
This is purely my opinion from the cheap seat, he's not getting a game because he's not AFL standard even though it looks very clear we could use a player with one of his basic physical attributes...his height. I think being tall alone doesn't get you a game though...unless you are RoMa.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

But Butler isn't AFL standard and is quite a bit shorter?
Dan's ongoing selection may be part of our equal opportunity program, the need to make Jack and Dan feel part of the group.
Cooper may already be emotionally stable (seems to be), bolstered by the fact he takes marks and kicks goals in his professional role.
Jack and Dan must be feeling a little insecure being out marked, out paced, dropping the ball, being bumped and falling over all the time for no apparent reason.
Its kind of the umps to let Jack get occasional goals from pushes in the back right in front as his catching and kicking from outside the square has been a little off lately.
They need the security of being picked regardless. Cooper is just quietly effective/consistent either in the VFL or his AFL cameos. He's ok in the VFL and Vortex running the your not up to it Cooper campaign doesn't seem to bother him, just keeps catching the ball and kicking goals content that Vortex knows best, the selectors have the greater good in mind and he still gets paid and can go on hols in September because funnily enough the AFL side doesn't kick winning scores against good defences (sometimes Max does but not the fwd line as a collective) to get to play after August. But the group is tight, no recriminations, several causes championed, coaches secure, admin positions succession plans ticking over.
Plenty to work on though, coaches will put on their thinking caps over the long break. No lateral thinking of course but will work on plugging the leak that keeps telling the opposition we will almost always kick it to Max, even though we have tried to keep that secret. We will find the informer and deal with them...how do the opposition seem to know every game what our plan is ??

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 8:26am OUT - Clark, Byrnes, Long, Butler

IN - Steele, DMac, Sharman, Highmore
Thought Long was ok tbh and brought the heat in them compared to Butler and we’ll need that physical presence against swans

OUT: Butler, Webster, Byrnes, NWM, Higgins
IN: Steele, DMac, Sharman, Highmore,Owens or Windhager

I think Owens/Windy gives us tad more versatility resting forward and some toughness and can run through middle occasionally - if Membrey continues to fail and Higgins fires at VFL then swap but both are now on notice

So forward set up is
1. King (lead ffs)
2. Sharman (block of games)
3. Membrey (lead elsewhere ffs)
4. Rest ruckman (do something if doing nothing add a Billings down there which gives us flexibility)
5. Long (Gresham rest there occasionally pressure/score)
6. Owens/Windhager/Billings (pressure/score)

Let Clark find touch on HBF I’d rather we rotate Sincs on ball occasionally
Long and Gresham (rotating) bring forward pressure
Hill liability down back needs to play wing Billings bench (rotate HF? Owens/Windhager?)

Backs
1. Howard (no kick in duties)
2. Wilkie
3. Paton
4. Highmore
5. Clark
6. Sinclair

Last chance Tim
Notice: Jones/Ross

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Where is this place in the forward line one can go to rest, it sounds like there are park benches and trees for shade in our forward line.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 12:17pm Where is this place in the forward line one can go to rest, it sounds like there are park benches and trees for shade in our forward line.
It’s called a rotational plan
Or after 7 games we could make space by declaring Sharman a bust????

“Yeah….nah””
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Before Friday, we had the 3rd lowest Points Against.
A lot of us think that Boris has done an amazing job with the backmen. Except for Dougal, who continues to disappoint.

We need the foreward and midfield coaches to work out where the hell we're going wrong, and fix it

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 4:39pm Before Friday, we had the 3rd lowest Points Against.
A lot of us think that Boris has done an amazing job with the backmen. Except for Dougal, who continues to disappoint.

We need the foreward and midfield coaches to work out where the hell we're going wrong, and fix it
We are bottom 4 league for transition
We have 1 inside forward game plan 38% time to 50 gamer Max King
These coaching clowns have had long enough to work it out - that’s what worries me about rushing to extend contracts now….why??????
Boris done well with defensive side imo

“Yeah….nah””
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

our issues are midfield (not much to do there we simply dont have the quality so we develop the kids and hope we can pick up a good one in preseason) and our forward system - we look a lot better with that extra tall (hayes or coops) rather than having all of long, gresh, higgins, and butler running around in there. on form its obvious butler is the out. long plays for his pressure game. higgins needs to be told to start bringing that same pressure. and on transition players need to be told if king isn't leading then honour sharman's leads.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Bruce G McAbee
SS Hall of Fame

Remember when we did something different and played Hill as a high half forward against Hawthorn.
He kicked 4, we kicked our highest score for the season and played our best 4 quarter game.
But for some reason, we decided this didn't work and put Hill back to half back.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 5:05pm our issues are midfield (not much to do there we simply dont have the quality so we develop the kids and hope we can pick up a good one in preseason) and our forward system - we look a lot better with that extra tall (hayes or coops) rather than having all of long, gresh, higgins, and butler running around in there. on form its obvious butler is the out. long plays for his pressure game. higgins needs to be told to start bringing that same pressure. and on transition players need to be told if king isn't leading then honour sharman's leads.
Great post totally agree
I’d go a step further and let Membrey and Higgins know we can’t carry both and certainly without any impact fight it out
Sharman becomes forward no 2 for a solid block of games
Resting ruck 3
Honestly I know many won’t like it but I’d trade Membrey …28 and in decline as genuine forward threat our flag chances are at least 2 years away and I suspect based on talent in that time blues , bombers , pies will pass us….
We are in some strife and need to make some really hard calls

“Yeah….nah””
saintbob
SS Life Member

Outs: Byrnes, Paton, Jones, Butler, Higgins and NVM

Ins: Steele , Owens, Windhager, Sharman, McKenzie and Highmore

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 11:35pm Outs: Byrnes, Paton, Jones, Butler, Higgins and NVM

Like it
Swap Paton for Webster and I’m onboard
Think Paton does a better shut down job on smalls

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 12:43am
saintbob wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 11:35pm Outs: Byrnes, Paton, Jones, Butler, Higgins and NVM

Like it
6 changes, yeah it's not amateur hour just yet.

Jones and Higgins out ain't going to happen either, not unless we are tanking now.

Steele and DMac are the obvious ins.

There will only be 2 changes, 3 absolute tops unless Ratts has thrown the towel in already for the year but I suspect he thinks we can still make 7th or 8th and maybe play a finals game.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Ratts out, Lade in.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Jones has to be dropped.

His repeated inability to contest, chase and spread is a liability.

I watched him closely on Friday night and only twice did he push to cover his opponent or space when we turned the ball over. He spent the vast majority of his game time just running up and down the centre square.

Furthermore, since his return to the midfield three games ago, our centre clearance numbers have been the worst in the competition. I know this coincides with Steele's absence, but Jones is not the answer in the middle.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 10:12am Jones has to be dropped.

I watched him closely on Friday night and only twice did he push to cover his opponent or space when we turned the ball over. He spent the vast majority of his game time just running up and down the centre square.

Furthermore, since his return to the midfield three games ago, our centre clearance numbers have been the worst in the competition. I know this coincides with Steele's absence, but Jones is not the answer in the middle.
That’s totally unacceptable.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 7:55am

Like it

Jones and Higgins out ain't going to happen either, not unless we are tanking now.

There will only be 2 changes, 3 absolute tops unless Ratts has thrown the towel in already for the year but I suspect he thinks we can still make 7th or 8th and maybe play a finals game.
Amateur hour?
Cooper Sharman - AFL finished after 7 games?
Righto…

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 10:12am Jones has to be dropped.

Until we have a midfield that pushes Jones out and makes Ross a fill in only we’ll struggle

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 10:17am
Vortex wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 7:55am

Like it

Amateur hour?
Cooper Sharman - AFL finished after 7 games?
Righto…
Wanting to drop 6 players including Jones is a gem.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

This week will be the first opportunity for Ratts to field the strongest team (on paper), since he took over the job.

I doubt even a coach from the country league will be dropping 6 or more players in the context of where we are at.

It's a chance to challenge this supposedly strongest team on paper to prove they are a finals side.

If they fail the challenge then that is Ratts mandate to be ruthless at season's end and cut the players who he thinks can't help us win some silverware.

Crapping the pants this week and dropping a 3rd of your side is not the week to go amateur hour.