Hannebery to play next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hannebery to play next week

asiu wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 12:33pm
I have a feeling he’ll play on next season too.
mmmm
me2
No, H needed to play 50 matches in the first four seasons to trigger the fifth.
Dan's currently played 15 matches with 7, plus hopefully finals, to go this season.
If we do make finals and he can help us to win one that would be a great outcome, especially based on what we've seen.

He took a haircut this season so that was positive. He didn't have to do that.

With finals he may end up playing 5 games this season I'd suggest. And if he plays his final match for us in a final that would be a fitting way for him to finish off his career.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
ace
Saintsational Legend

mmmm
me2
If he plays next year he should be rookied and have a pay deal that exceeds rookie minimum pay only for matches actually played.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

In the past month, I have not:
- Called for the coach or coaches to be sacked
- Called for players to be sacked
- Called for the President or Board to be sacked
- Done a dummy spit

I have however questioned selection integrity, as I am a firm believer performance at the lower level requires elevation or the morale can quickly fall away if a player is not provided fair opportunity. I think Byrbes, Highmore & Sharman (to a lesser extent) have been ignored when their form warranted selection. I don't think any of the 3 are great players and all 3 may not make the grade consistently, they just need to be selected when tearing it up at Sandy, particularly when the seniors were struggling.

I have been very disappointed over the last 4 weeks, but disappointment comes with the territory of being a Saints fan :)

I will however scream like a 12 year old girl bitten by a spider if Hannebery plays on next year and or is selected ahead of Windhager, NMW, Owens, Byrbes, etc for the remainder of the season, assuming those guys are performing well enough to retain their place.

Ratten played tough with Billings & Wood and did not elevate Geary, so I have some faith that Hannebery will need to earn his spot.

If Hannebery is gifted a game on reputation and pay packet and is not forced to be among the best in Sandy for 2-3 weeks it will prove a farce.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

ace wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 1:18pm
mmmm
me2
If he plays next year he should be rookied and have a pay deal that exceeds rookie minimum pay only for matches actually played.
No, why waste a rookie deal on a guy who has barely been able to get on the park in 4 years and has been average when he has?

Saintmike65
Club Player

I write this post with some trepidation given Hannebery’s history.
Watching training last Tuesday afternoon, it was blatantly obvious how good he is, despite barely playing for a long time.
His movement, encouragement, ball use on show…in fact a cut cut above most of his teammates.
No one on this forum can question his work ethos, if there’s any justice, May he get a decent run at it for the remainder of the season..he could make a real difference to us!!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Sun 03 Jul 2022 10:43am I write this post with some trepidation given Hannebery’s history.
Watching training last Tuesday afternoon, it was blatantly obvious how good he is, despite barely playing for a long time.
His movement, encouragement, ball use on show…in fact a cut cut above most of his teammates.
No one on this forum can question his work ethos, if there’s any justice, May he get a decent run at it for the remainder of the season..he could make a real difference to us!!
I don’t think there’s any commentary suggestive of his lack of talent.
A fit and firing Hannebery pbly elevates us into a top 4 side. It’s doubtful even his harshest critics would deny that. It’s always been length of contract juxtapose with his ability to get/stay on the park and reach the standards we know he’s capable of.

Not that dissimilar to Jones… we’ve seen him reach a standard where he’s almost elite a bunch of times. Getting there isn’t the issue… it’s staying on the park and producing regularly at the level.

Would be a huge boon for us if Dan can lead the way into September. Would almost make the previous four years worth it.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

I'd be happy for him to play midfield alongside Bytal and Owens for the remainder of the season. Hopefully get them deep into a VFL final series.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Injuries happen in AFL footy - part of it.

Hannebery is quality when fit, cannot be denied - you don’t become a triple AA if you can’t play.

He still is and was banged up when we got him, which was a risk

But the fact we took a punt on a gun and all it cost was pick 29 sliding to pick 38 (Battle)

I think was wort the punt. At the time no other player was remotely interested in joining us!

Sydney took a massive punt on Paddy McCartin … worth the risk imo … a potential gun for FA

B.M
Saintsational Legend

It’s not like giving up a first round draft pick for a lazy piss drinking woman basher

Which we have done!

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 06 Jul 2022 8:37am Injuries happen in AFL footy - part of it.

Hannebery is quality when fit, cannot be denied - you don’t become a triple AA if you can’t play.

But the fact we took a punt on a gun and all it cost was pick 29 sliding to pick 38 (Battle)

I think was wort the punt. At the time no other player was remotely interested in joining us!

Sydney took a massive punt on Paddy McCartin … worth the risk imo … a potential gun for FA
Don't agree with a lot of that.

- We gave up to much in the trade.
- We paid him too much to be at the club.
- It is a massive bust.
- It was widely known he was not in great shape when he arrived and mentioned on here prior to the trade.

Hannebery came on big money, how much we don't know but enough information in media and elsewhere suggests the sum was large and this was a salary dump for Sydney. Hawthorn dumped Hodge, Mitchell, Birchall, Lewis for nothing picks and all gave far better service to their new club (and I'd wager) on far less cash than Hannebery.

What player(s) were we potentially able to recruit but did not with the cash that went to Hannebery?

How have Sydney taken a massive risk on Mc Cartin?
Tried him out in the VFL team before offering him a rookie contract.
May turn out to be a masterstroke by the Swans.
May turn ugly, too early to know.

There was no finacial risk and no currency on the trade.

Hannebery was a super player, AFL gun.
But that was 6- 7 years ago.
He has been average in his 15 games in the last 4 years and nobody knows if he is still of value or the game has passed him by.

Hell, 6 years ago I wasn't requiring blue tablets for round 2.
Things change over time!

There is no body of work that provides any evidence at all to support an assertion Hannebery can still play at an elite level.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 2:33pm
Ratten played tough with Billings & Wood and did not elevate Geary, so I have some faith that Hannebery will need to earn his spot.

If Hannebery is gifted a game on reputation and pay packet and is not forced to be among the best in Sandy for 2-3 weeks it will prove a farce.
Are you forgetting who currently runs the show as the head of the footy department?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 06 Jul 2022 9:07am
B.M wrote: Wed 06 Jul 2022 8:37am Injuries happen in AFL footy - part of it.

Don't agree with a lot of that.

- We gave up to much in the trade.
- We paid him too much to be at the club.
- It is a massive bust.
- It was widely known he was not in great shape when he arrived and mentioned on here prior to the trade.

Hannebery came on big money, how much we don't know but enough information in media and elsewhere suggests the sum was large and this was a salary dump for Sydney. Hawthorn dumped Hodge, Mitchell, Birchall, Lewis for nothing picks and all gave far better service to their new club (and I'd wager) on far less cash than Hannebery.

What player(s) were we potentially able to recruit but did not with the cash that went to Hannebery?

How have Sydney taken a massive risk on Mc Cartin?
Tried him out in the VFL team before offering him a rookie contract.
May turn out to be a masterstroke by the Swans.
May turn ugly, too early to know.

There was no finacial risk and no currency on the trade.

Hannebery was a super player, AFL gun.
But that was 6- 7 years ago.
He has been average in his 15 games in the last 4 years and nobody knows if he is still of value or the game has passed him by.

Hell, 6 years ago I wasn't requiring blue tablets for round 2.
Things change over time!

There is no body of work that provides any evidence at all to support an assertion Hannebery can still play at an elite level.
Yep, totally agree.

Even tho we didn't give up much in draft capital we gave up way too much in cap space.

Deal should have been 3 years on a lot less cash, no one else was interested in him, and with good reason.

Hannebery would slot in to our midfield somewhere after Steele and Crouch at the moment, maybe battling with Jones and Ross, a long way from his AA glory days.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 06 Jul 2022 10:30am
Hannebery would slot in to our midfield somewhere after Steele and Crouch at the moment, maybe battling with Jones and Ross, a long way from his AA glory days.
My guess he would not slot in at all.

He'd be lucky to get a game.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 06 Jul 2022 4:09pm

I think that if (by some miracle) he got fit enough to play AFL again he would be in, purely because our midfield is so thin. After Steele and Crouch it's pretty bleak, no automatic selections from there.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 06 Jul 2022 4:16pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 06 Jul 2022 4:09pm

I think that if (by some miracle) he got fit enough to play AFL again he would be in, purely because our midfield is so thin. After Steele and Crouch it's pretty bleak, no automatic selections from there.
He didn't even play as a pure mid when he was fit.

Agree, midfield stocks are thin..

Bytel and Byrnes forgettable seasons so far..
Jones, minus the odd highlight, ditto
Hunter, say no more, bless
Ross better in '22 (still limited), Crouch hard-worker
Sincs - emergency only, too much to lose switching from HB
Gresh is the magic pill that is like a kid on a skateboard
HIggo and Butts didn't go there..

So in that sense, a player of Hanner's pedigree, yep, a cert. Reality?? It 'aint 2014.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

The valuable lesson to be learned here is there are no shortcuts. Buyer beware ...

We need to fully focus on robust, young, healthy, skillful midfielders ... and not ignore/overlook them in future drafts - especially when they are top 10 picks.

Will we learn from this ... we are St Kilda, after all??

amusingname
Club Player

samoht wrote: Wed 06 Jul 2022 4:38pm The valuable lesson to be learned here is there are no shortcuts. Buyer beware ...

We need to fully focus on robust, young, healthy, skillful midfielders ... and not ignore/overlook them in future drafts - especially when they are top 10 picks.

Agree with what you are saying, but what if there are no young, healthy, skillful midfielders on the market, or who will come to the club, what do we do? It also has to be remembered we had to spend the cap at that time after a few years of being below it, which the AFL won't allow for more than a few because of competitive balance. We had to start paying players and we didn't really have anyone who we could front end on the list already and save for the following years.

Just had a quick look at that years trade period and some of the mids (or can play mid) that came to melbourne clubs:

Shiel - We tried, he chose the bombers
Polec - went to north, big time failure
Aaron Hall - reasonable at times
Dom Tyson - delisted by north
Beams - Thank god no
Gary Rohan - Playing forward at cats
Dahlhaus - same as Rohan
Tom Scully - didnt last long, wasnt interested in saints
Wingard - could have been an option, more forward though at hawks - they gave up a first round pick and Ryan Burton for him.

I am probably missing people from this period, but i dont see obvious options that we missed out. I suspect our cap position made us need to bring in someone of reputation and experience and Dan was pretty much it. A good payday for Dan, hasn't worked out that well for the team.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote: Wed 06 Jul 2022 6:09pm
samoht wrote: Wed 06 Jul 2022 4:38pm The valuable lesson to be learned here is there are no shortcuts. Buyer beware ...

Agree with what you are saying, but what if there are no young, healthy, skillful midfielders on the market, or who will come to the club, what do we do? It also has to be remembered we had to spend the cap at that time after a few years of being below it, which the AFL won't allow for more than a few because of competitive balance. We had to start paying players and we didn't really have anyone who we could front end on the list already and save for the following years.

Just had a quick look at that years trade period and some of the mids (or can play mid) that came to melbourne clubs:

Shiel - We tried, he chose the bombers
Polec - went to north, big time failure
Aaron Hall - reasonable at times
Dom Tyson - delisted by north
Beams - Thank god no
Gary Rohan - Playing forward at cats
Dahlhaus - same as Rohan
Tom Scully - didnt last long, wasnt interested in saints
Wingard - could have been an option, more forward though at hawks - they gave up a first round pick and Ryan Burton for him.

I am probably missing people from this period, but i dont see obvious options that we missed out. I suspect our cap position made us need to bring in someone of reputation and experience and Dan was pretty much it. A good payday for Dan, hasn't worked out that well for the team.
Pretty sure Boomer Harvey would have made a comeback for that sort of dough!
Couldn't possibly have gotten any less value for money!

SaintWiki
Club Player

Well, I've read all the viewoints but my view is simplisic. We all know we are almost certainly not going to win the flag and we'll be lucky to get in the eight anyway, so if the selection committee reckons he's ok to go, I'm quite happy to take a punt. What can we lose?

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

So what if the trade off is not playing Mitchito?

I. E. go future investment or try to recover sunk costs?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I thought Dan might play six games this year , late season.
Now, I'm not even sure of that.

We might go down the gurgler in the next month, and then I'd expect, among other things, ceremonial games for Geary, Hanners, games for Connolly, Bytel and others who will be given some game time for the sake of development or for a final chance.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Just pick the best 22

If Owens is in that, he gets a game

If not, he plays VFL

I’d like to wager that a fit Dan Hannebery would have more influence on games than any of our younger fringe players.

He might never be fit - but if he is - and he gets through 2 VFL games - he is a definite imo

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Then our medi-sub will be on edge, knowing it's just a matter of when.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

If Hannas does a hammy, in his first and last game this year, but helps get into a Elimination Final, job done. 12 games, 4 half-games. 40 million dollars. Anyhow, have a Winfield.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

The worst part of all this is the bloke who was supposedly most instrumental in getting him, gets a promotion not the KHYBER!