Votes v Freo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: Votes v Freo

Sainter_Dad wrote: Thu 14 Jul 2022 9:42pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 14 Jul 2022 7:07pm You missed the 5 votes I gave Membrey… oh well my bad…I should have voted properly

Might have got Roma up against Seb… Not that it matters that much in the scheme of things…

Actually I’m joking. I think I would have had Steele, Battle, Crouch and Sinclair above Marshall.
LOL - sorry Scollop - I have NEVER counted single 5s - it skews the count too much - and in a vote tally that there were only 226 voted cast if two people cast votes as 5s only it can change the entire count.

You sir submitted a Donkey Vote!
Maths is not my strong suit S_D but I can't work that out. Why is a simple 5 vote with no other votes skewing your count? When people can divide their 15 votes any way they like, why does only giving 5 to one player "change the entire count"?

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 15 Jul 2022 2:33pm
bangaulegend wrote: Thu 14 Jul 2022 9:48pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 14 Jul 2022 7:07pm You missed the 5 votes I gave Membrey… oh well my bad…I should have voted properly

Might have got Roma up against Seb… Not that it matters that much in the scheme of things…

Actually I’m joking. I think I would have had Steele, Battle, Crouch and Sinclair above Marshall.
LOL - sorry Scollop - I have NEVER counted single 5s - it skews the count too much - and in a vote tally that there were only 226 voted cast if two people cast votes as 5s only it can change the entire count.

Just a quick message to say thanks Sainter Dad for doing an incredible job .
LOL - it takes away from Crunching numbers all day - to ..... crunch numbers!
Pretty much knocking off work to cart bricks. :wink: But thanks anyway

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 15 Jul 2022 8:31pm

Maths is not my strong suit S_D but I can't work that out. Why is a simple 5 vote with no other votes skewing your count? When people can divide their 15 votes any way they like, why does only giving 5 to one player "change the entire count"?
LOL Ghost.
The count was:

54 Battle
43 Crouch
28 Steele
20 Sinclair
17 Ross
15 Marshall
12 Jones
7 Butler
5 Billings
5 Ryder
5 Webster
4 Membrey
4 Wood
3 Higgins
2 Hill
2 King

lets say 4 people decide to just give 5 votes to Jones but none to others - He jumps to 32 and 3rd - but if they also allocate the other 10 votes it become more like an even distribution curve.
Similarly - 15 votes of 1 is basically a wasted vote

It is more vital to take this into account when there is a low vote count as the 5's become more precious.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 15 Jul 2022 8:50pm
Ghost Like wrote: Fri 15 Jul 2022 8:31pm

LOL Ghost.
The count was:

54 Battle
43 Crouch
28 Steele
20 Sinclair
17 Ross
15 Marshall
12 Jones
7 Butler
5 Billings
5 Ryder
5 Webster
4 Membrey
4 Wood
3 Higgins
2 Hill
2 King

lets say 4 people decide to just give 5 votes to Jones but none to others - He jumps to 32 and 3rd - but if they also allocate the other 10 votes it become more like an even distribution curve.
Similarly - 15 votes of 1 is basically a wasted vote

It is more vital to take this into account when there is a low vote count as the 5's become more precious.
But that's their vote isn't it. You may pick one for 5 but the other 4 have no bearing whatsoever, would that be ignored? I notice you included votes for players that people were taking the p155 about. How is that different?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad, I thought Wilkie's effort tonight (4 quarters) was the only one truly worthy of votes, all 5. Should I not be able to express that?

Having said that, I'll give my 5,4,3,2,1 because I don't believe in splitting votes.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 15 Jul 2022 11:42pm Sainter_Dad, I thought Wilkie's effort tonight (4 quarters) was the only one truly worthy of votes, all 5. Should I not be able to express that?

Having said that, I'll give my 5,4,3,2,1 because I don't believe in splitting votes.
I set the guidelines from my experience over the past 13(?) years of tallying the votes as below:
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 27 Mar 2022 7:44am Welcome to a new year of the Trophy

Anyway the guidelines:
- Voting is open to all
- one post per poster
- 15 points available for distribution
- please vote Best on downwards (voting for position ie 1. Best on will result in your Best on getting 1 vote)
- abnormal voting (eg 15 to the one player) will be excluded
- please use the players name - or well known nickname - I have had some imaginative nominations in the past
- votes for umpires or opposition will be excluded

Thank you
Have fun
Stay Safe - Stay Sane

Just a reminder of past winners:

2008: Nick Riewoldt
2009: Lenny Hayes
2010: Lenny Hayes and Brendon Goddard
2011: Nick Dal Santo
2012: Lenny Hayes
2013: Leigh Montagna
2014: Lenny Hayes
2015: Jack Steven
2016: Jack Steven
2017: Seb Ross
2018: Jack Steven
2019: Rowan Marshall
2020: Jack Steele
2021: Jack Steele

Sainter_Dad!!!
I think it is implied that a single vote will not be included - but if you would like I will make it clearer next time.
[/quote]

I think it is implied that a single vote will not be included - but if you would like I will make it clearer next time.

Is this 5 for Jones?
The Fireman wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 12:30pmJones
If I count that and Membrey the votes change to:

54 Battle
43 Crouch
28 Steele
20 Sinclair
17 Ross
17 Jones
15 Marshall
9 Membrey
7 Butler
5 Billings
5 Ryder
5 Webster
4 Wood
3 Higgins
2 Hill
2 King

Therefore:
5 Battle
4 Crouch
3 Steele
2 Sinclair
.5 Ross
.5 Jones

Does splitting the 1 vote to two half votes mean that much when it opens the vote up to inconsistencies????
Ghost Like wrote: Fri 15 Jul 2022 11:42pm Sainter_Dad, I thought Wilkie's effort tonight (4 quarters) was the only one truly worthy of votes, all 5. Should I not be able to express that?

If you want to vote:
5 - Wilkie
and then distribute votes to 10 other players at 1 each - I cannot stop you - but as I said just voting 5 for one player skews the result

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!