Trevor Barker Awards Night

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trevor Barker Awards Night

1. Jack Sinclair (174 votes)
2. Callum Wilkie (153 votes)
3. Jack Steele (124 votes)
4. Tim Membrey (103 votes)
5. Seb Ross (102 votes)
6. Brad Crouch (93 votes)
=7. Jade Gresham (91 votes)
=7. Bradley Hill (91 votes)
=7. Max King (91 votes)
10. Josh Battle (68 votes)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Wed 14 Sep 2022 8:17am
Yorkeys wrote: Tue 13 Sep 2022 11:44pm Yes congrats.
Some talent in that top 10
Looking good!
The only problems with the top 10 is .....

1 vote can be awarded by 4 coaches (the Saints website says 5 - but on the night I am sure they said 4) for a player who played role effectively. So at the end of the season you would expect a player who had played 22 games to have a pass mark of 4 x 1 x 22 = 88 votes.

Sincs won with 173 and the top 10 was rounded out by 68 votes - or effectively a player who only played role effectively 3/4 the time he took the field.

Kind of sums up our season - or am I being too harsh??
Trouble with that is, Sincs was the only player to score votes in all 22 rounds, according to saints.com.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Posted in the Long thread but probably better here...

Coffield was in good spirits, his knee is progressing really well. The Club is keeping him to his recovery, not rushing him and not allowing him to rush the recovery. On track for a full pre season. Felt he was finally in his best shape prior to doing his knee. Expects and wants to play in the back half but will play wherever the Club needs him to. Company line I know but a genuinely good bloke to chat with. Good size about him!

I observed Hill amongst all the players, genuinely having a good time. They were all smiling and laughing with him.

Ming is a massive unit and very good with every person who approached him to chat and get a selfie. Agree with B.M., he could use another 10kg, not much more and he will be very hard to stop.

I did love Sincs drive by on Ratts re 2020, not sure Ratten did but spoke the truth and spoke well during his acceptance.

Geary was a legend with the way he spoke, very emotional but self deprecating and funny.

Ratten appears to have a two word mantra going into this pre season and next season, I just can't think of them at the moment but effectively a need to be more resilient for longer. When I remember those words I'll post them. I know Teflon will be on the edge of his seat 😉

EDIT:

"Competitive Stamina" appears to be the mantra - I guess stay in the game longer / stay in the game when challenged...hopefully stay in the season when challenged.
Last edited by Ghost Like on Wed 14 Sep 2022 1:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 14 Sep 2022 11:42am
Sainter_Dad wrote: Wed 14 Sep 2022 8:17am
Yorkeys wrote: Tue 13 Sep 2022 11:44pm Yes congrats.
Some talent in that top 10
Looking good!
The only problems with the top 10 is .....

1 vote can be awarded by 4 coaches (the Saints website says 5 - but on the night I am sure they said 4) for a player who played role effectively. So at the end of the season you would expect a player who had played 22 games to have a pass mark of 4 x 1 x 22 = 88 votes.

Sincs won with 173 and the top 10 was rounded out by 68 votes - or effectively a player who only played role effectively 3/4 the time he took the field.

Kind of sums up our season - or am I being too harsh??
Trouble with that is, Sincs was the only player to score votes in all 22 rounds, according to saints.com.
That is exactly what I am saying - YOU GET A VOTE FOR PLAYING YOUR ROLE EFFECTIVELY

So we don't even (according to our coaches) have more than 1/2 a dozen player who can 'Play their role effectively'

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
StPeter
Club Player

It might have been very close if Steele played every game.

On my reckoning, Steele missed 6 games and scored 124 over 16 games (average of 8 per game)

Assuming Steele averaged 8 votes per game for the 6 matches missed it would bring his final tally to 172.

Sincs won with 174 !

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote: Wed 14 Sep 2022 1:06pm It might have been very close if Steele played every game.

On my reckoning, Steele missed 6 games and scored 124 over 16 games (average of 8 per game)

Assuming Steele averaged 8 votes per game for the 6 matches missed it would bring his final tally to 172.

Sincs won with 174 !
See your point - but on my guestimate - it was 4 games (there was a bye if you are taking it by rounds) - so attributing the ratio would have finished on 151/2

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 14 Sep 2022 11:34am
Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 14 Sep 2022 11:22am I was surprised to see Hill in the top 10, although the majority of his votes were in winning games. With the coaches giving the votes obviously someone still rates him - even if a lot of us dont.
Just shows that many on here are f****** poor judges, something I have been saying all along.
So you are the pre-eminent judge of all players mentioned on the site? :roll:

No one has said he cant play as a wingman - its just he is a liability in defence and in one on one contests. As I mentioned he collected most of his votes in winning games, and as expected didnt give a peep when the heat was on. Coaches are not always the best or least biaised individuals to make the calls, but you keep feeding your own triffling agendas.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 12:07am
Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 14 Sep 2022 11:22am I was surprised to see Hill in the top 10, although the majority of his votes were in winning games. With the coaches giving the votes obviously someone still rates him - even if a lot of us dont.
Just shows that many on here are f****** poor judges, something I have been saying all along.

No one has said he cant play as a wingman - its just he is a liability in defence and in one on one contests. As I mentioned he collected most of his votes in winning games, and as expected didnt give a peep when the heat was on. Coaches are not always the best or least biaised individuals to make the calls, but you keep feeding your own triffling agendas.
Look at you! Still trying to qualify Hill’s recognition. Winning games bull s***. ‘He only got points in wins’… yeah, fair weather, cruiser right!?

Is that it?

Hill was a major reason we got propelled into the 8 and 4 this year. ( did we reach the 4, f*** it, good enough)

Still, we have to find excuses as to why he possibly have been rated equal 7th!

I don’t care about Hill, but I care about our inbuilt, inbred defeatism.

I grew up adoring our cult heroes.. including those seasons we won four games.

When will see what contributes to winning?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

'Playing their role effectively'
IMHO, the coaches' judgements are flawed- we've seen how badly our forwards and mids play.
Poor ineffective entries into F50.
Forwards' tactics and running patterns being inefficient and/or being countered by oppo defenders.

I think the coaches, apart from Boris, have misunderstood each player's role.

Just my 2 cents

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

What’s Brett’s mantra for the coaches?
“It’s not us…ask the players..”

“Yeah….nah””
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 12:56am 'Playing their role effectively'
IMHO, the coaches' judgements are flawed- we've seen how badly our forwards and mids play.
Forwards' tactics and running patterns being inefficient and/or being countered by oppo defenders.

Just my 2 cents
Wondering how you isolate one coach as performing while the rest suffer from flawed judgment.

Interesting that Geelong transformed their game plan this year by moving the ball with far more urgency, particularly out of defense while we became more stagnant.

Was slow safe ball movement a Boris direction?
Is this why he is no longer at Geelong?

The above re Boris is tongue in cheek, however I fail to understand the angst toward, Lade, Rath etc when I doubt the majority of us on this forum have a clue when it comes to judging the performance by the assistants/ staffers.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
takeaway
Club Player

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 8:06am
WellardSaint wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 12:56am 'Playing their role effectively'

Just my 2 cents
Wondering how you isolate one coach as performing while the rest suffer from flawed judgment.

Interesting that Geelong transformed their game plan this year by moving the ball with far more urgency, particularly out of defense while we became more stagnant.

Was slow safe ball movement a Boris direction?
Is this why he is no longer at Geelong?

The above re Boris is tongue in cheek, however I fail to understand the angst toward, Lade, Rath etc when I doubt the majority of us on this forum have a clue when it comes to judging the performance by the assistants/ staffers.
Exactly. I referred to this in another post. Forumites can watch the players out there and make their own judgements on their performance. For coaches, all they can do is get out the scapegoat dartboard.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 12:14am
Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 12:07am

Look at you! Still trying to qualify Hill’s recognition. Winning games bull s***. ‘He only got points in wins’… yeah, fair weather, cruiser right!?

Is that it?

Hill was a major reason we got propelled into the 8 and 4 this year. ( did we reach the 4, f*** it, good enough)

Still, we have to find excuses as to why he possibly have been rated equal 7th!

I don’t care about Hill, but I care about our inbuilt, inbred defeatism.

I grew up adoring our cult heroes.. including those seasons we won four games.

When will see what contributes to winning?
Yep he is that good he will be playing for North next year... Im sorry but he is a culture killer. When you are asking all other players to put their bodies on the line you cant have the highest paid player being a 'squib' and being favoured by the coaches it creates issues.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Thu 15 Sep 2022 11:21am, edited 1 time in total.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Anyone got the full list of player votes, I’ve seen the top 10 but I like to see who else got votes

Club Player

Agree with Impatient Sainter re Hill. Culture killer sadly.