Long Wants Out

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Long Wants Out

mad saint guy wrote: Wed 14 Sep 2022 4:57am
Scollop wrote: Wed 14 Sep 2022 1:29am
Long lost confidence under Richo and regained it when Ratts showed faith in his ability. Ben’s strengths helped the Saints earn a finals spot in 2020. Go and checkout the Eastern Memorial Saintsational voting each round in 2020. Ben earned best on ground several times from various posters. He had a very good year personally in 2020 and also very good when compared to his team mates who played alongside him in the backline

He polled in one game in 2020. 4 votes in round 16. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100622&hilit=eastern+memorial

Just like how he polled in one game in 2022. In 2021 he polled in 0 games. So over 49 games and 3 seasons he was deemed to be in our top 5 players twice.
I see what you did there

According to your criteria, you’d have got rid of most of our promising youngsters and also you’d have tossed Jack Sinclair out the door too. He only polled a 2 vote once all year for 2020 and only polled in one game in 2019

viewtopic.php?p=1786785#p1786785

Each week in the fan forum award only the top 5 players are recognised. If you compare the Eastern award to the Trevor Barker award for this year, most fans don’t rate the Skunk. He didn’t get in the top 10 in the Eastern but he finished 4th in the TB Medal

In my original statement I meant that I understand he didn’t poll well in the actual award as summarised purely by the end results. I meant if you look at each round in 2020 where people gave their votes you’d see Ben being recognised. Ben Long received individual votes in various weeks even when he didn’t get in the top 5. Anyway …who gives a flying fk about an anonymous posters’s opinion… Here’s a summary of our backline boys from 2020. Ben’s stats are comparable to his peers. Do you want to throw all them out too?!

https://www.saints.com.au/news/829262/b ... ers-emerge

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 14 Sep 2022 6:59am

I see what you did there

According to your criteria, you’d have got rid of most of our promising youngsters and also you’d have tossed Jack Sinclair out the door too. He only polled a 2 vote once all year for 2020.

Each week in the fan forum award only the top 5 players are recognised. If you compare the Eastern award to the Trevor Barker award for this year, most fans don’t rate the Skunk. He didn’t get in the top 10 in the Eastern but he finished 4th in the TB Medal

In my original statement I meant that Ben Long received individual votes in various weeks even when he didn’t get in the top 5. I understand he didn’t poll well in the actual award as summarised purely by the end results. I meant if you look at each round in 2020 where people gave their votes you’d see Ben being recognised. Anyway …who gives a flying fk about an anonymous posters’s opinion… Here’s a summary of our backline boys from 2020. Ben’s stats are comparable to his peers. Do you want to throw all them out too?!

https://www.saints.com.au/news/829262/b ... ers-emerge
You're the one who brought up the SS award, not me.

Since you brought up the TB award, he's also never finished top 10 in that. Coffield and Clark both finished top 10 in their third season.

Ben Long is not a promising youngster. He's 25 and has been below the level of a GOP for the vast majority of his career. I would be happy to retain him cheaply but if he's getting a significantly better contract offer from another team he should take it, and we should try to improve our draft position.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

You’re the one who called most of his games crap and reckon he’s no good and reckon he’s only played 1 good game in his career

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 14 Sep 2022 7:34am You’re the one who called most of his games crap and reckon he’s no good and reckon he’s only played 1 good game in his career
It's time players like Long and also the club have a fresh start.

It can be a good thing for both parties.

After 5 years what more is there to see.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 14 Sep 2022 8:09am
Scollop wrote: Wed 14 Sep 2022 7:34am You’re the one who called most of his games crap and reckon he’s no good and reckon he’s only played 1 good game in his career

Agreed

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I've got no doubt any other team will get more out of Ben than we have.

That said, his trade value is late 2nd at best.

If it's to GC I would be asking a first round pick swap plus a 3rd.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Feels like another player we've under/mis utilised that will go on and thrive somewhere else.

The list is growing.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote: Wed 14 Sep 2022 9:31am I've got no doubt any other team will get more out of Ben than we have.

That said, his trade value is late 2nd at best.

If it's to GC I would be asking a first round pick swap plus a 3rd.
Not a bad idea

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Im sorry to lose Ben I really rated him, but he is obviously been offered more $$$ etc.,Plus I expect GCS will use him to replace Rankine as a small forward.

At present GCS have a heap of second round picks the earliest #25 & #31, I think the club will be asking for one of those. I expect the Saints will then flick the pick received to a third club for a targetted player. GCS will also end up with picks #5 & #7 in the draft, I expect North to split their pick #1 to get Clark to the club ie pick #7 might be in the frame.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Wed 14 Sep 2022 11:06am, edited 2 times in total.

older saint
SS Life Member

Ability to move up in first round is attractive as we lack top line talent.

its a guessing game at the moment as CG will get Adel 1st plus for Rankine and if Hill goes to North i would expect a second back - which they will need to get a 3rd club involved in.

If no one want sin then lets go to the draft - offload players who aren't top 10 (projected 2023/2024) and get creative and set 1st and second round players in

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I don't think a 2nd round pick which he's not worth more likely 3rd round.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Banger9798
SS Life Member

We should ask for their pick 24

That last game versus Sydney showed what he can do.

He is 25, developed and fit now.

He will be an excellent HBF, which is where we would've settled him if we weren't playing Hill Clark, Coffield there who were all supposed to be midfielders

I don't know where him being ranked as a 3rd rounder comes from. Early second or threaten them that we let him walk through the PSD to Norf.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

For what it's worth, speaking with a couple of players last night, no one thinks Clark is going anywhere other than Europe with the boys, London then Octoberfest.

Coffield, Paton and Clark are as thick as thieves. They want to stay together at St Kilda.

P.S.: NW(A)M is a ripping, quiet, polite, unassuming person. He loved a recent trip to Bali with the boys. I think, hope, he signs on long term next season all things bring equal.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

f*** GC and all their compo picks.
If they're offering him over the top $$ , then they can bloody well compensate us.

Sick of us getting bent over the barrel by everyone.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 14 Sep 2022 11:13am For what it's worth, speaking with a couple of players last night, no one thinks Clark is going anywhere other than Europe with the boys, London then Octoberfest.

Coffield, Paton and Clark are as thick as thieves. They want to stay together at St Kilda.

P.S.: NW(A)M is a ripping, quiet, polite, unassuming person. He loved a recent trip to Bali with the boys. I think, hope, he signs on long term next season all things bring equal.
Good news Ghostlike, and thanks for breaking up my rant.

Any other news from the night?

axcellence
Club Player

Long + third rounder (45) for a GC’s last second round pick (pick 34).

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Coffield was in good spirits, his knee is progressing really well. The Club is keeping him to his recovery, not rushing him and not allowing him to rush the recovery. On track for a full pre season. Felt he was finally in his best shape prior to doing his knee. Expects and wants to play in the back half but will play wherever the Club needs him to. Company line I know but a genuinely good bloke to chat with. Good size about him!

I observed Hill amongst all the players, genuinely having a good time. They were all smiling and laughing with him.

Ming is a massive unit and very good with every person who approached him to chat and get a selfie. Agree with B.M., he could use another 10kg, not much more and he will be very hard to stop.

I did love Sincs drive by on Ratts re 2020, not sure Ratten did but spoke the truth and spoke well during his acceptance.

Geary was a legend with the way he spoke, very emotional but self deprecating and funny.

Ratten appears to have a two word mantra going into this pre season and next season, I just can't think of them at the moment but effectively a need to be more resilient for longer. When I remember those words I'll post them. I know Teflon will be on the edge of his seat 😉

EDIT:

"Competitive Stamina" appears to be the mantra - I guess stay in the game longer / stay in the game when challenged...hopefully stay in the season when challenged.
Last edited by Ghost Like on Wed 14 Sep 2022 1:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Another "potential as a solid foundation with flashes of brilliance and even the highly coveted, effective disposals to advantage, when held in just the right light"

He walks for nothing I'd most likely scenario...GC can draft but risk losing to North

North will win this battle when Hill heads that way.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

i reckon there is a lot more to see from Long
he is on the up...if we lose him it will be to our disadvantage.
we will regret losing him. Bookmark this..I am willing to be called out if wrong.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Wed 14 Sep 2022 12:34pm

i reckon there is a lot more to see from Long
he is on the up...if we lose him it will be to our disadvantage.
we will regret losing him. Bookmark this..I am willing to be called out if wrong.
He needs a fresh start and we need to try another player on the list.

What makes you think he is on the up?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Ben had a break out year in 2020. Apart from discipline issues and just bad luck with some typical MRO decisions that crucified him and our club, he looked like he would take his game to another level in 2021

He should have continued playing as a half back flanker in 2021 in my opinion, but he was thrown back into the small forward role and our start to the year in 2021 was awful for any player who was playing in our forward line.

I think he lost some trust from team mates and from the coaching staff and it took him a while to regain that trust

I think he realised that he had to get better in certain areas and there has been incremental improvements in his games. He certainly has learned to control his temper and his aggression is now not an issue for free kicks or 50 metre penalties the way it seemed to be in early 2021

I also think this year that he realises he needs to embrace what ever role the coach wants him to perform. I think he also regained some of his confidence with set shot kicking and his snap shots on goal. Maybe it all comes to down to hard work too. Maybe his overall fitness is at a very good level now

darylcowie
Club Player

Wise decision, because they're on the way up with plenty of cap space now that Rankine is gone.
He might even fill that role for them too!

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I think it’s likely that Ben Long was told he wouldn’t be offered a new contract at St Kilda.

I also think this decision was made months ago.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Wed 14 Sep 2022 1:47pm I think it’s likely that Ben Long was told he wouldn’t be offered a new contract at St Kilda.

I also think this decision was made months ago.
Bzzzzzzz. Wrong!

I just posted a link from the Saints website. Read it

“Ben has had a contract offer from the Club for a number of months now, so we’re naturally disappointed to receive this news, particularly as we believe Ben has a lot of good football in front of him,” Head of List Management James Gallagher said.