Once pre-season starts.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Once pre-season starts.

Scollop wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 9:19am I think Ratts was on a path of building his team in his way… and I think he had the wisdom and the eye to pick the right talent to get us back into finals quickly. He made mistakes with the topping up strategy at the end of 2020, but I think the whole club was behind the move when we got so close in 2020.

I think the review was probably something that Ratts commended and the recent changes to the coaching structure were the only changes that should have been made. Just like the list that he inherited, he also inherited McGlynn, Lade and Sexton.
I think you're right, from the outside looking in Ratts certainly was a positive influence on the club and his results, without being world beating, were as expected. I don't think anyone has come out and said he was a poor coach.

But without being a fly on the wall during the review, there's not much else we as outsiders can contribute.

There is a path of thinking that leads to the review being targeted at Ratts, and certainly the Ernie Merrick interview points at that.

But if we are not able to trust in the thorough investigation involving a large amount of senior leaders including the President, then the implication is that the club is rotten to the core and is dead. I cannot believe that.

In short: If there was a pre-conceived notion of our poor form from a lack of "hard edge" on Ratts, and our review was designed with that outcome in mind - that should shake the club to its core.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Anyone see the vision of RTB talking to Hunter and someone else?
Hunter was staring at RTB in the same way any of us would stare at Lenny or Harves.
Hanging off his every word...
🙆‍♂️

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Otiman wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 1:22pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 9:19am I think Ratts was on a path of building his team in his way… and I think he had the wisdom and the eye to pick the right talent to get us back into finals quickly. He made mistakes with the topping up strategy at the end of 2020, but I think the whole club was behind the move when we got so close in 2020.

I think the review was probably something that Ratts commended and the recent changes to the coaching structure were the only changes that should have been made. Just like the list that he inherited, he also inherited McGlynn, Lade and Sexton.
I think you're right, from the outside looking in Ratts certainly was a positive influence on the club and his results, without being world beating, were as expected. I don't think anyone has come out and said he was a poor coach.

But without being a fly on the wall during the review, there's not much else we as outsiders can contribute.

There is a path of thinking that leads to the review being targeted at Ratts, and certainly the Ernie Merrick interview points at that.

But if we are not able to trust in the thorough investigation involving a large amount of senior leaders including the President, then the implication is that the club is rotten to the core and is dead. I cannot believe that.

In short: If there was a pre-conceived notion of our poor form from a lack of "hard edge" on Ratts, and our review was designed with that outcome in mind - that should shake the club to its core.
We'll get a redacted summary of the review, which will resemble the Pentagon's recent reports on UAPs (UFOs) so we'll be none the wiser.
We don't know the exact details around the sacking of the last numpty in charge (demeaning a Saints official? no, he's at the Dees now) and we'll never be privy to these events either.
Just rumours and innuendo.

FQF

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 26 Oct 2022 6:46pm
cwrcyn wrote: Wed 26 Oct 2022 3:55pm It seems the hands-off president finally became the hands-on president.

Much depends on our performance at the draft this year and next (and next year's trade period). If we blow, it, we'll be in a fair bit of trouble half way through Lyon's contract and the usual suspects in the media will be frothing at the mouth in anticipation of a kill.

Bottom 4 team next year? You're expecting a massive drop off then?
I was prior to the circus coming to town.

Nothing changes with a new coach, our list drops away significantly after about 10 to 12, and you could mount a strong argument from about 8 to 10 WITH reference to a side capable of being a sustained top 4 side.

Prior to R1 I thought our list could reach as high as 6th if we had an absolute perfect run with injuries, our jeckle and hyde season validated that early observation.

The same prediction can be applied to next season however adjusted to be even more challenging due to a new coaching regime, que reference to Collingwood's season, probably not comparing apples with apples though.

The list is in shocking condition and clearly the club is embarking on a rebuild of some magnitude and the circus coming to town has successfully put a curtain around the elephant in the room.

Could you have imagined the neuclonic explosion if instead the club had of announce 12 days ago the club was embarking on a rebuild BUT without the circus act.

The members would have demanded Bassett's head on a platter.

Having said all of that, I congratulate Bassett for masterminding one of the best Harry Houdini acts I have seen in a very very long time.

Let the rebuild begin.
The last 56 years have proven we are not very good at rebuilds, Bassat is obviously hoping this is the one time history doesn't repeat.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 9:20pm
cwrcyn wrote: Wed 26 Oct 2022 3:55pm It seems the hands-off president finally became the hands-on president.

Much depends on our performance at the draft this year and next (and next year's trade period). If we blow, it, we'll be in a fair bit of trouble half way through Lyon's contract and the usual suspects in the media will be frothing at the mouth in anticipation of a kill.

Nothing changes with a new coach, our list drops away significantly after about 10 to 12, and you could mount a strong argument from about 8 to 10 WITH reference to a side capable of being a sustained top 4 side.

Prior to R1 I thought our list could reach as high as 6th if we had an absolute perfect run with injuries, our jeckle and hyde season validated that early observation.

The same prediction can be applied to next season however adjusted to be even more challenging due to a new coaching regime, que reference to Collingwood's season, probably not comparing apples with apples though.

The list is in shocking condition and clearly the club is embarking on a rebuild of some magnitude and the circus coming to town has successfully put a curtain around the elephant in the room.

Could you have imagined the neuclonic explosion if instead the club had of announce 12 days ago the club was embarking on a rebuild BUT without the circus act.

Having said all of that, I congratulate Bassett for masterminding one of the best Harry Houdini acts I have seen in a very very long time.

Let the rebuild begin.
The last 56 years have proven we are not very good at rebuilds, Bassat is obviously hoping this is the one time history doesn't repeat.
If you were a betting man and using the past 56 years as your race guide, would you back Bassett to bring home the flag with his latest move, which has been a repeat of the same mistake made over the past 56 years ?

It's easy to push all of your chips in when they are other peoples chips.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 30 Oct 2022 7:41am
bobmurray wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 9:20pm

Let the rebuild begin.
If you were a betting man and using the past 56 years as your race guide, would you back Bassett to bring home the flag with his latest move, which has been a repeat of the same mistake made over the past 56 years ?

It's easy to push all of your chips in when they are other peoples chips.
It's the great unknown at the moment, by the end of 2023 Bassatt could be spitting chips.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

What we do know is the chips under Ratten we’re already cashed in
The club was going nowhere
Anyone who has inside knowledge at the club has confirmed it
You do 1 of 2 things in that scenario
1. You carry on, let Brett/Rath/Gafs/Lethlean take footy where we were going….(pretending we were a whisker off top 4 challenger)
Or
2. You make change - bring in structure, seasoned football people involved in success elsewhere abd “own” your error (don’t think I’ve heard anyone critical of Bassatt on that score)

Will it work? Who knows
1 wasn’t I know that.
It feels like the club grew a pair abd I applaud them for that and having a crack
Not 1 person in media has come out and said we’ve a mistake and should’ve stuck with Ratten….why????
They might not like the circumstances but they know the decision is right

“Yeah….nah””