What a difference at our club in only a few months

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints58
Club Player

Re: What a difference at our club in only a few months

Would we still be in Line to try and pick up Bing in next season trade I think his contact is expiring end of 23 with a player swap and draft picks.
I really think that he would be the difference with us he can play forward or back as we need him.

Killa
Club Player

Very early days

We have lost some class experience (albeit they were not able to be regularly on the park) and have added a Free Agent from WB and a handful of 18 year olds

And, in terms of our key position players both back and forward plus in the ruck, we rely on these 18 year olds plus who was recruited last year and who have yet appeared at AFL level being Heath and Adams

I will change that assessment to very, very early days

Given a better run with injuries we will improve

But in my view, to really be in the mix, so pushing into September not merely getting there, we require a bit more

That bit more may be on our List - and we will find out - but they are all young, very young

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Killa wrote: Thu 01 Dec 2022 7:47pm Very early days

We have lost some class experience (albeit they were not able to be regularly on the park) and have added a Free Agent from WB and a handful of 18 year olds

And, in terms of our key position players both back and forward plus in the ruck, we rely on these 18 year olds plus who was recruited last year and who have yet appeared at AFL level being Heath and Adams

But in my view, to really be in the mix, so pushing into September not merely getting there, we require a bit more

That bit more may be on our List - and we will find out - but they are all young, very young
These players having a consistent impact, and being best 22, will be essential (not all, but most):

- Butler (back to 2020 form)
- Higgins
- Hayes
- Gresh
- Coffield
- Jones
- King
- Hunter Clark

Perhaps the optimists here are confident that the revamped coach set-up will extract the best possible return from those above. There's a good chance this will happen, and I was really excited a few weeks ago, but now I'm settled, I'll reserve judgement till the first few rounds

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 01 Dec 2022 8:21pm

These players having a consistent impact, and being best 22, will be essential (not all, but most):

- Higgins
- Hayes
- Gresh
- Coffield
- Jones
- King
- Hunter Clark

Perhaps the optimists here are confident that the revamped coach set-up will extract the best possible return from those above. There's a good chance this will happen, and I was really excited a few weeks ago, but now I'm settled, I'll reserve judgement till the first few rounds
I think we are quietly excited because from May we had only one good win. We also beat a hopeless Eagles and fell in against the Hawks who were coming home all over us after we blew a big lead.
We were arguably the second worst performing club June - September; easily the most underperforming.
Now we have hope. It seems the boil lanced.
We might not make finals but we are in a position to live up to our list's potential and become competitive.
June to September 22 was so discouraging and depressing.
Hence we are coming off a low base but future looks bright (er).

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 01 Dec 2022 9:30pm
Killa wrote: Thu 01 Dec 2022 7:47pm ..
These …
I think we are quietly excited because from May we had only one good win. We also beat a hopeless Eagles and fell in against the Hawks who were coming home all over us after we blew a big lead.
We were arguably the second worst performing club June - September; easily the most underperforming.
We might not make finals but we are in a position to live up to our list's potential and become competitive.
Agree, agree, agree!

Our Happy Time lasted from March 27th to April 30!
34 days.

By the time we hit the bye we still looked good on paper, but we were shot.

How we managed to still be in calculations mathematically towards the end was amazing.

But we have to acknowledge one significant fact about Season ‘22 under Ratts. We were fit!!
We ran out games!! For a while..

Later, it seemed we had one great quarter a game.

But it was dismal.

Overall..a bleak and ominous horizon.

What a fantastic and high we are in now!
And we haven’t even played, yet alone win a game!

Because we know we were wrong, right from the time Lyon left for Freo.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 01 Dec 2022 1:05pm
Teflon wrote: Wed 30 Nov 2022 10:53pm
B.M wrote: Wed 30 Nov 2022 10:48pm Toce made the recruiting decisions

Gallagher keeps the list under the cap
Who develops list strategy ???
You can’t make recruiting decisions in isolation without one…
Think gags has done ok tbh
Don't think that's just a single individual, it'd be a team effort - head of football ops, coaches, head of recruitment, list manager???

I went looking for a full staff list but couldn't find it on the Saints website, but if you're interested, Google found this, not entirely up to date:

https://www.signalhire.com/companies/st ... /employees
How it develops a team thing
Whose accountable not a team thing
Is that Gags??

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 01 Dec 2022 9:30pm

- Higgins
- Hayes
- Gresh
- Coffield
- Jones
- King
- Hunter Clark

Spot on!
Blind Freddy knows we have a long way to go and it’s not too 4 next year geezus
It’s about what the club has put in place
Every saints fan I’ve read (apart from a few on here who like to pot the club constantly and just won’t admit they hate Lyon…hi Scoll!..) we’re flat out dejected when we re-signed cuddles….they knew we were going nowhere and he’d lost players
Lyons no certainty…but he’s far and away a better bet than Brett!
The biggest thing I’m excited about is we have made a hard, unpopular decision and said stuff the media we’ll do what’s best for us.
Plus we’ve brought in some talented coaches and off field support and (if you believe the judges) drafted well..
Long way to go - ofcourse, but the path suddenly looks clearer

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 30 Nov 2022 10:39pm Yes Joffa still larger than life on BF
Good question on credit I’m going to say all for now
Yes we had some luck but you still have to take the pick/make the call and resist out smarting yourself (which I think we’ve done previously!)
Exciting times
Hard work starts now

Toce was the guy on the phone fielding offers from other clubs on draft night. So that points to him being the one deciding on value and who to take, or not.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....