How 17 clubs missed chance to snare Saints gun

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: How 17 clubs missed chance to snare Saints gun

skeptic wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 6:57pm
Teflon wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 6:44pm So watching Pies V Dees
Couple things stand out
1. We are nowhere near these 2 - their midfields just win stoppage after stoppage on the move
2. I think it could be the GF and Dees look the goods
3. N Daicos - one of the best youngsters I’ve seen cone into the game BUT …for all his possessions….1 score involvement???
4. I think I’d rather 23 from Owens 12 contested and 2 goals thanks
I fear Melbourne more than Collingwood but I’m not convinced that either’s best is so much better than ours.

What really grinds my gears is the issue of timing. RTB’s 2009 team would not lose a game by under 30 points this season and to be honest… the GT led team in 04 would pbly win this season as well.

Really seems like a weak season to me and I reckon it’s open up to any of the better teams if they turn up at the right time
Watching Melb set up around the ball …win it…flick out to runners and move the ball effectively…and every time they went inside 50 they looked dangerous…
Yes, they are better than us
They will take the game on against us…won’t be pushed sideways by our zone …think they have us covered talent wise considerably unfortunately
If we cone to play we’ll mane it a grind …but you gotta score and we still haven’t mastered that balance imo

“Yeah….nah””
TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

I think we structure well like Melbourne behind the ball. But going forward we need to inject more class and skill. Watching today gave me some hopes. I agree with Teflon that Daicos is a special kid but it’s mainly cheap stats such as kick ins, one-two handballs and freebies outside of contests. You do the old industry super fund and compare the pair with Mitchito, he wins his own ball, beats players one on one contests and kicks beauties. We are building. Ross will clean out the waste of space in the club at the end of the year and build a nucleus of players that will take us forward.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 7:46pm
Couple things stand out
1. We are nowhere near these 2 - their midfields just win stoppage after stoppage on the move
3. N Daicos - one of the best youngsters I’ve seen cone into the game BUT …for all his possessions….1 score involvement???
I fear Melbourne more than Collingwood but I’m not convinced that either’s best is so much better than ours.

What really grinds my gears is the issue of timing. RTB’s 2009 team would not lose a game by under 30 points this season and to be honest… the GT led team in 04 would pbly win this season as well.

Really seems like a weak season to me and I reckon it’s open up to any of the better teams if they turn up at the right time
Watching Melb set up around the ball …win it…flick out to runners and move the ball effectively…and every time they went inside 50 they looked dangerous…
They will take the game on against us…won’t be pushed sideways by our zone …think they have us covered talent wise considerably unfortunately
If we cone to play we’ll mane it a grind …but you gotta score and we still haven’t mastered that balance imo
I reckon we’re a power mid short still…
Take a Tim Taranto and slot him into our midfield and I reckon we’d be a major show

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 8:18pm
Couple things stand out

Take a Tim Taranto and slot him into our midfield and I reckon we’d be a major show
I agree. I see a lot of posts about Harry himmelberg and TDK. We need to go after Darcy Parish.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 8:22pm
Couple things stand out

I agree. I see a lot of posts about Harry himmelberg and TDK. We need to go after Darcy Parish.
Parish isn’t a “power” mid he’s not even best at Bombers Merrett is
No thanks
I’m only interested if it’s a De Goey type but younger
Otherwise get me into top 10 picks in the draft
The kids nowadays are ready to go in 2 …you pay them base ….build a team with them
I’m not sold that ring ins work for tbh ….we end up chewing way to much of our cap cause we have to pay overs to get them interested…then they don’t live up to the hype and you have Brad Hill scenario again
Get kids - Owens NAS Windy Hammer we can build around
You also get 10 years if they’re good enough …not something that’s 28 already
North a will be scary in a few seasons …
Hawks too
We’ll be middling with ageing top ups if we aren’t careful right smack bang bear bottom when Tassie come in for a compromised draft ….just where you don’t want to be
Go hard now for kids

“Yeah….nah””
realdeal
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 3:53pm
John Ralph wrote: From Dan Hannebery’s megabucks deal, to Billings-over-Bontempelli and McCartin-over-Petracca, it makes for grim reading.
FFS, can the Billings/Bontempelli choice be killed once and for all?

Nobody...I repeat Nobody would have taken Bont at pick 3.
Rather than continually bagging the Saints for taking the obvious player at pick three, why not praise the Bulldogs for the big risk in taking a player at overs?

Uninformed, sloppy journalism trying to pick the low hanging fruit!
Totally agree. And it was 10 years ago! Every club has a similar story in that time.

Still hurts though 🤦‍♂️

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

King Max wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 7:00pm Where’s that from?
https://www.copyright.com.au/

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Couple things stand out

Agree. If we played Michito as a power mid - which I reckon he can do - then we’d be a power forward short I guess. I still have high hopes for Windhager, however. Plus Phiilpou in another 12-18 months.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 10:09pm
Couple things stand out

Agree. If we played Michito as a power mid - which I reckon he can do - then we’d be a power forward short I guess. I still have high hopes for Windhager, however. Plus Phiilpou in another 12-18 months.
I must say I’d love to see Owens start centre square alongside Steele Crouch as pure bull mid
Think he’d shake the joint up
Surely with Hammer King Membrey (reserve) etc we can cover him up forward??
Even if he drifts fwd …

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 10:15pm
bigcarl wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 10:09pm
Couple things stand out

I must say I’d love to see Owens start centre square alongside Steele Crouch as pure bull mid
Think he’d shake the joint up
Surely with Hammer King Membrey (reserve) etc we can cover him up forward??
Even if he drifts fwd …
Well that’s what I would have done last week, but we won well without anyone having to make that hard call.

But it’s definitely got to be an option if there’s any more disasters like the Hawthorn game.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Agree
Watching Melb today without Oliver…scary
Owens is a point of difference hes gotta go midfield surely

“Yeah….nah””
King Max
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 9:25pm
King Max wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 7:00pm Where’s that from?
https://www.copyright.com.au/
I couldn’t find what you have copied, but I did find this:
https://www.copyright.com.au/about-copy ... ght-myths/

If it’s on the internet, anyone can use it Copyright is not ‘waived’ when you publish text or images on the internet. You can decide how you would like people to use your online content. Guidelines for using online text and images usually appear on a website’s ‘terms of use’ page.

Sorry about the formatting. It didn’t copy right.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

John Ralph wrote: From Dan Hannebery’s megabucks deal, to Billings-over-Bontempelli and McCartin-over-Petracca, it makes for grim reading.

Rather than continually bagging the Saints for taking the obvious player at pick three, why not praise the Bulldogs for the big risk in taking a player at overs?

That’s because Billings has not come close to being the player he was expected to be at pick 3.

Yes, Bont was a smokey and not as highly rated as Billings, but it doesn’t change the fact that at best, Billings has shown glimpses, whereas Bont at one pick later is a superstar.

Billings has been with the club since 2013 and has never been an All Australia and never polled strongly in our B&F. If he was up for trade now, we’d be lucky to get a pick in the top 20 for him. Also, at ten years in the system, he’s not going to get better.

Simply saying that no one was going to take Bont in the top 3 doesn’t change the fact that we need and we got a GOP at best, whereas the Dogs (knowing what few other clubs knew) made a bold call and were rewarded with a superstar.

We then tried to buck the trend the following year by taking Petracca and the result was even worse.

Who the heck was in charge of recruitment during that period???

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Couple things stand out
I'm not saying that we're better than either team, but last time we played Collingwood we were +6 for clearances, +3 for centre clearances and +21 for contested possessions. Without our number one mid as well. If King plays we would have won that game.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 8:39pm
TheGreatZacsby wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 8:22pm
Couple things stand out

Parish isn’t a “power” mid he’s not even best at Bombers Merrett is
No thanks
I’m only interested if it’s a De Goey type but younger
Otherwise get me into top 10 picks in the draft
The kids nowadays are ready to go in 2 …you pay them base ….build a team with them
I’m not sold that ring ins work for tbh ….we end up chewing way to much of our cap cause we have to pay overs to get them interested…then they don’t live up to the hype and you have Brad Hill scenario again
Get kids - Owens NAS Windy Hammer we can build around
You also get 10 years if they’re good enough …not something that’s 28 already
North a will be scary in a few seasons …
Hawks too
We’ll be middling with ageing top ups if we aren’t careful right smack bang bear bottom when Tassie come in for a compromised draft ….just where you don’t want to be
Go hard now for kids
When you put it like that Teflon I agree. You reckon we need to clear some duds off the list and get some draft capital. We need to get in on this mega deal multiple club trade with Harley Reid. Even if we turn our current pick 13 into a top 10 I would be thrilled.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 1:54pm
bigcarl wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 12:10pm How 17 clubs missed chance to snare Saints gun

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 6b94e6da6b

After a string of draft horror stories, finally it’s St Kilda’s rivals wondering about the steal that everyone missed
Two things...
1. Hindsight drafting is the easiest game in town. There are no prizes for retrospective draft selections.
2. Whilst I appreciate the desire to share a good news story with your fellow forumites, please don't post a link that is behind a paywall. I can't speak for others, but I cancelled my HS subscription years ago because of the complete Murdoch news bias. No, I am not a lefty, but I do want a balanced view in the news that I read/watch. The people there were perplexed when I cancelled and told them why. They even offered to drop the price to $1/week. I told them that they weren't listening and it wasn't about the money.
So you don't want to read the article anyway. Others might.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 3:59pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 1:54pm
bigcarl wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 12:10pm How 17 clubs missed chance to snare Saints gun

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 6b94e6da6b

After a string of draft horror stories, finally it’s St Kilda’s rivals wondering about the steal that everyone missed
Two things...
1. Hindsight drafting is the easiest game in town. There are no prizes for retrospective draft selections.
2. Whilst I appreciate the desire to share a good news story with your fellow forumites, please don't post a link that is behind a paywall. I can't speak for others, but I cancelled my HS subscription years ago because of the complete Murdoch news bias. No, I am not a lefty, but I do want a balanced view in the news that I read/watch. The people there were perplexed when I cancelled and told them why. They even offered to drop the price to $1/week. I told them that they weren't listening and it wasn't about the money.
I put it up because I’m aware that some forumites have a HS subscription or otherwise read the paper. Since you won’t read it, why would it bother you?

As you said, it’s a good news St Kilda story. What is not to like about that?
Exactly.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Tue 13 Jun 2023 12:56am

That’s because Billings has not come close to being the player he was expected to be at pick 3.

Yes, Bont was a smokey and not as highly rated as Billings, but it doesn’t change the fact that at best, Billings has shown glimpses, whereas Bont at one pick later is a superstar.

Billings has been with the club since 2013 and has never been an All Australia and never polled strongly in our B&F. If he was up for trade now, we’d be lucky to get a pick in the top 20 for him. Also, at ten years in the system, he’s not going to get better.

Simply saying that no one was going to take Bont in the top 3 doesn’t change the fact that we need and we got a GOP at best, whereas the Dogs (knowing what few other clubs knew) made a bold call and were rewarded with a superstar.

We then tried to buck the trend the following year by taking Petracca and the result was even worse.

Who the heck was in charge of recruitment during that period???
Again, given the information at the time, every club in the land would have taken Billings at pick three.
Billings was an elite user of the ball and a natural leader.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/450712/28-d ... k-billings
Far more speculation with Bontempelli...https://www.afl.com.au/news/117000/26-d ... ontempelli

It shows me that player development is just as, if not more, important than the picking the right player in the first place.
We have sucked at developing talent.

It's easy to re-write history after the fact.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 4:05pm
bigcarl wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 3:59pm I put it up because I’m aware that some forumites have a HS subscription or otherwise read the paper. Since you won’t read it, why would it bother you?
If you're going to post it for sharing, why not post the article like Sanctorum did?
Well, I don't usually for the reasons that if you hate the Murdock press , why should you get a free read.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 4:47pm
King Max wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 4:26pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 4:05pm
bigcarl wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 3:59pm I put it up because I’m aware that some forumites have a HS subscription or otherwise read the paper. Since you won’t read it, why would it bother you?
If you're going to post it for sharing, why not post the article like Sanctorum did?
It infringes copyright laws and it’s a pain in the ass.

Thanks bigcarl.
Copyright is not infringed if you credit the author of the work...Which was done.
It robs Murdoch of some revenue! Reason enough to post it here!
No, not right. You can't post the whole article.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Tue 13 Jun 2023 7:54am
Couple things stand out
I'm not saying that we're better than either team, but last time we played Collingwood we were +6 for clearances, +3 for centre clearances and +21 for contested possessions. Without our number one mid as well. If King plays we would have won that game.
1 game doesn’t make a winter…
I think you’ll find we’ve come back to the pack a bit …Pies not do much …
We beat Geelong last year King kicked 5 - were we better than Cats? ??
As Lyon says W/L are outcomes
Better to look at “how” we are winning and right now (even after a gutsy win in Sydney) I still think our scoring and midfield stoppage work is sub par
Lowest PF in the 8 ….

“Yeah….nah””
Sanctorum
Club Player

Back to the original topic, my vote for worst draft selection of all time was in 2006 when St Kilda took David Armitage, a relatively unknown from Mackay in Qld, ahead of Jack Riewoldt who had expressed a strong desire to team up with his older cousin at Moorabbin.

Became an absolute star....just imagine if he had played for the Saints in the 2010 GF, the year he kicked 78 goals for Richmond!!!

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Who could we target in the trade period?

I know TDK is the talk, but we could go after a young gun midfielder. like Anderson from GC?
Could be worth a 5 year deal

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 13 Jun 2023 3:01pm Back to the original topic, my vote for worst draft selection of all time was in 2006 when St Kilda took David Armitage, a relatively unknown from Mackay in Qld, ahead of Jack Riewoldt who had expressed a strong desire to team up with his older cousin at Moorabbin.

Became an absolute star....just imagine if he had played for the Saints in the 2010 GF, the year he kicked 78 goals for Richmond!!!
Even prior to the draft, midfielders like Armitage are a dime-a-dozen. He was no Judd by any stretch.
Good key position forwards, however, are very rare.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Tue 13 Jun 2023 4:18pm Who could we target in the trade period?

I know TDK is the talk, but we could go after a young gun midfielder. like Anderson from GC?
Could be worth a 5 year deal
I doubt he’d come but I’m a big fan of Serong from Freo