CLINTON JONES

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:
People liked him because he looked like Riewoldt.
MSG...you obviousy don't like CJ...so why not leave it at that????
you can say that again.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:MSG...you obviousy don't like CJ...so why not leave it at that????

In the WAFL he cannot have been the complete hack you make out as he did well in the WAFL voting for B& F overa couple of years. Now no guarantee to make in the AFL.....but you do not poll well putely because you can run quick.
I never said that he was a complete hack at WAFL level. His endurance, pace and effort (which are AFL quality) made up for his poor skills and decision-making (which are just ok at WAFL level and pathetic at AFL level).

I have nothing against him as a person, but as a footballer I hope that he never takes the field for St Kilda again. If he does take the field and dominates I will be happy to be labelled a complete moron with no football knowledge whatsoever, but up until now he has shown nothing to suggest that will happen.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Third behind Priddis (dominating for the Eagles) and Bandy (former 100 game AFL player) in the Sandover Medal.

Plus two B&F's in a finals team at South Freo.

There was obviously something to work with ... he would have been in the best 650 footballers in Australia.

He was worth a punt and we had to try him in the AFL.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:He was worth a punt and we had to try him in the AFL.
I agree that he was worth a try. His case was similar to Andrew Swallow at the Kangaroos. Ball magnet, had the body for AFL and a very good attitude, but just couldn't kick the footy. Swallow would have gone top 10 in the draft if his kicking was better, but ended up slipping into the 40's.

As soon as he got to the Kangaroos they corrected the error in his kicking and Swallow all of a sudden was a very good AFL player. It seems that Jones' problem is more than just technique and won't be fixed.

Jones was certainly worth the punt, but it is a punt that hasn't payed off. Like most rookies, he just isn't good enough at AFL level.

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

mad saint guy wrote:
redwhite&blackblood wrote:I seem to remember another 23/24 yo who had terrible disposal skills when we drafted him. We persisted with this player and now whilst his disposal isn't great he has been a fantastic servant to the club, his work rate could never be questioned and he did improve in his disposal. We had to allow time to this guy to get his footing in the highest level of the game as well and it has paid off.

Thommo was an ordinary kick, but Jones is a pathetic kick and a terrible decision-maker. Thommo cemented his spot in our best 22 in his first year. Jones has had about 3 effective kicks in his first year.
CJ will get better if he is coached along and given the time to develop to the higher level of AFL he can contribute in the future. Remember he has come from a reasonable standard competition but not a comp that is anywhere near the AFL level of play. He has been injured during the season which will through any player off a touch and since he doesn't have the experience and understanding of the much faster AFL level he is going to make mistakes.

The injury has done nothing. He is playing the exact same quality of footy as he was in his first 3 games. People liked him because he looked like Riewoldt and didn't mind that he turns it over every time he touches it because we were winning when he was playing. Now that we're losing people are waking up to what a horrible player he is.
Is his disposal that much worse than Blake, X.Clarke, L.Fisher, McQualter and Thompson.
Yes.
He shouldn't play next week. He has had 2 more games got a little more of a taste of the highest level and now it is time to give an Armitage a couple of games before the end of the year. If we don't give these guys a taste they will never get used to the speed of the AFL. The AFL game is so quick that players have to learn to make quick decisions some players have that naturally but most have to develop it over several consecutive weeks.
He shouldn't play next week, or any other week.

His decison-making was awful in the WAFL, but he got by because of his endurance and pace. It was still shocking after several years in the WAFL, so I dout that it will ever be acceptable in the AFL.
A lot on here seem to think because he is 24 he should be a ready made player and not be afforded the same time we will give the likes of Armo, Allen, Howard to develop players develop at different speeds. Attard is another in the same boat a rookie whose disposal at times is very average and he rarely touches the ball are we suggesting he be delisted? No because we look at him as say he is a tagger and stopping his man is his job. The only people that know the true role for CJ are the coaches and the playing group he may be doing what RL expects of him for his 4 and 5th AFL game.
He isn't expected to step straight in and start dominating, but he has been playing the game his whole life and playing senior footy since he was a teenager. Of course he shouldn't be given the same amount of time as the 17 year olds that we drafted last year. These guys are straight out of playing junior/local footy and need to add a fair bit of size until they can be judged properly.

Attard is a tagger, and therefore his disposal does not have to be brilliant. Hopefully it does improve, but he doesn't embarrass himself every time he touches the footy. Jones is an outside midfielder/half forward. The most important aspect of his game is his disposal. If CJ is in the team to add a bit of comedy for neutral viewers then he is doing his job, but if it has anything to do with positively contributing to our team then he is failing miserably.
Thank you for your opinion. I beg to differ and think we should be giving players at least 2 years to develop from the rookie list that is why it was introduced. CJ obviously had to have something to offer for the club to put him on the Rookie list and he must impress RL enough to get promoted and continue to get a game. So in all reality your biased opinion means absolutely nothing to the STKFC. I would hope that someone shows CJ your comments so he can put his head down work harder on his game!

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

redwhite&blackblood wrote:So in all reality your biased opinion means absolutely nothing to the STKFC.
Everything written here means absolutely nothing to the St Kilda Football Club. And how is my opinion biased?
I would hope that someone shows CJ your comments so he can put his head down work harder on his game!
So do I.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
I have nothing against him as a person, but as a footballer I hope that he never takes the field for St Kilda again. If he does take the field and dominates I will be happy to be labelled a complete moron with no football knowledge whatsoever, but up until now he has shown nothing to suggest that will happen.
:wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Far from convinced yet. Unfortunately I didn't get to see the game last night (is there anywhere on the net I can watch/download it?) and only listened last week, so I've only seen him in the Richmond game. His skills and confidence were certainly better than in 2007, but still not AFL quality. If he continues to improve and also manages to hold his cool in the H&A season then we've got a very handy player on our hands, but from what I've seen he still has a way to go to before getting into the best 22.

He's competing with Blake, R.Clarke, Fiora, Birss, Geary and Armitage for a spot on the bench at the moment and I would have him behind all of them.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:
:wink:
Its funny because he racked up like 23 disposals, and he was still s***.

No one argues against his ball winning ability....Its just people like myself dont want he to actually get the ball.

Batnoe

He didnt play bad last night

he is still learning the speed of AFL football

I think MSG is in love with himself and no one else

MSG, look in the mirror again will you.........maybe you are more like Clint Jones than you think and that is why you dont like him!

Sainterone
Club Player

Well, he's definitely improved from last season.... and that's good :)

He may not get a game in R1 but he's in there competing (and he is a good back-up).

He is starting at a "late" age and he "can't kick" - reminds me of another guy mentioned earlier in this thread - the great Thommo - what a servant for the Saints... he did all right for a guy who started late and couldn't kick...

I'm hoping that Jones might develop similarly - even if he played half of the games that Thommo played - he'd be a useful footballer for the Saints.

...and (depite his cutesy blond locks) he chases and tackles hard - good attributes for any footballer :lol:

Let's hope that MSG might be wrong on this one - I will say, however, that MSG has a very good football brain for one so young and I look forward to reading his posts.... You can't be right all of the time... :lol:

GO SAINTS

NICK RIEWOLDT - 444 GOALS FROM 200 MATCHES
STEPHEN MILNE - 440 GOALS FROM 216 MATCHES
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Some egg on faces in this thread.

MSG and Spinner here is a emoticon especially for the two of you.

No make it four emoticons.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Oh how I love seeing know alls get their comeuppance.

How Sweet :D :D :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Some egg on faces in this thread.

MSG and Spinner here is a emoticon especially for the two of you.

No make it four emoticons.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Oh how I love seeing know alls get their comeuppance.

How Sweet :D :D :D
Haha...Pretty confident after a couple of pre-season matches.

-Remember when CJ won a free kick on the wing.
-Goes back behind the mark.
-Doesn't know what to do with it so tries to run around.
-Puts himself under pressure.
-Forcible kicks a snap to no one towards the boundary on his left boot.
-Boundary throw in results.

He found how to apply pressure on himself from a free kick.

Its not just his disposal, its the pressure he put on himself and more importantly the pressure he creates when he gives the ball to team mates.

Hopefully he will adjust (and adjust a lot) to the speed and tempo of AFL through experience.

But I wouldn't be calling it like you have above, off the back of some pre-season games in which are taken half seriously by officials. 8-)

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

A couple more for you spinner :wink:

Red faces all round :oops: :oops:

As I said in another thread, I am sure Jones will put i a shocker in a future game, I haven't called anything. I just think some people go off half cocked in bagging a player thats all.

You mentioned the free kick on the wing. You look at his negatives, what about his chase down of Dick, he numerous tackles and chase downs, his run and receive and carry and crumb (admittedly his snap was poor for a point) of about 100 metres?

His good far outweighed the bad and while he is still learning and was put under pressure, he has play about 5 AFL games.

His biggest problem in this League is that he is so left sided that the good players will use that against him. He may well be corralled onto his right side and that will make him ineffective, however while his speed holds out he may be able to get away with it.

He will never be a champion, but may be able to add something to a team that has been very one paced over the past few years.

Sorry Spinner, I just hate the way some young players are whipping boys at our club.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Don't think anyone needs a red face over Jones just yet. He's been better than I can recall in these preseason games (wouldn't be too shocked to see him get a game in h&a), but his kicking is waaaay off.

The way he's chasing and tackling, could see him being a useful tagger, but i still hate seeing him with the ball.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Reality should be faced now instead of getting hopes up... Clint is a good honest tryer, who should be commended for his efforts.. But he is not up to the level required.. If he gets a spot in the side, we aint gonna go very far...

His disposal is not the worst part.. his decision making is deploarble, and this cannot be fixed.. he can work on endurance, skills, even courage, but under fire, you cannot un-muddle the mind.. As a rookie, he was/is worth a spot, but tackling and speed can only get you so far... He gets the ball far to much for my liking, as every time he does, it is a certain 50/50 next possie, at best...

Great intentions, just not good enough IMO..

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Reality should be faced now instead of getting hopes up... Clint is a good honest tryer, who should be commended for his efforts.. But he is not up to the level required.. If he gets a spot in the side, we aint gonna go very far...

His disposal is not the worst part.. his decision making is deploarble, and this cannot be fixed.. he can work on endurance, skills, even courage, but under fire, you cannot un-muddle the mind.. As a rookie, he was/is worth a spot, but tackling and speed can only get you so far... He gets the ball far to much for my liking, as every time he does, it is a certain 50/50 next possie, at best...

Great intentions, just not good enough IMO..
he is good at getting the ball, but his passing, kicking, is terribad.

last night was a MASSIVE improvement on the week before.

IMO he should feign an injury every time he gets a free kick.

his tacking is much better, his making space is much better.

however he sells his team mates into trouble far too often.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

What's funny is every Essendon fan I've spoken to thinks he's an absolute gun.

They only remember the good.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Yeah, I had an Essendon fan say the same thing to me last night too. Checked his stats in the paper, was credited with 23 possessions, 5 tackles & 1 clanger. So much for his poor disposal. :roll: I think there is a place in the side for him when we play the "fast" teams like Essendon, Adelaide & the Doggies.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

As long as we don't confuse him for another Clinton Jones who is the nephew of one Dean Jones !!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:What's funny is every Essendon fan I've spoken to thinks he's an absolute gun.

Yes...they all wanted to know who that No 38 was that was ripping them up....

Plus reading BigFooty....Jones get more praise than on Saints Forums....

Cannot help but think it is beacuse the Dons fans did not have preconceived ideas of what Jones was...they just judged him on what he did on the night.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
firthy
Club Player

Remember when we all used to cover our eyes when one Stewie Loewe got the ball , especially anywhere near goal. CJ is an honest fair dinkum goer , an invaluable back up player. Support him and the rest of our team of goers.

Please let me live long enough to see it happen.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:What's funny is every Essendon fan I've spoken to thinks he's an absolute gun.

Yes...they all wanted to know who that No 38 was that was ripping them up....

Plus reading BigFooty....Jones get more praise than on Saints Forums....

Cannot help but think it is beacuse the Dons fans did not have preconceived ideas of what Jones was...they just judged him on what he did on the night.
true, i didn't think his disposal was any worse last night than half the players on the field

like how Roo is seen as a bad kick for goal because of 1 season, and Milne is seen as a bad tackler with no second efforts, some things just stick to players, no matter how irrelevant they have become

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

As the great "Scoop" said just recently, Clint is like one of those cricketers who gets a gig in the shorter versions of the game because he can field. Bats a bit, bowls a bit, but fields like no other.

I reckon his nick name oughta be "Victa". He's getting a gig 'cos he just mows people down. Good on him, he's having a crack, playing to his strengths.

We can spend our entire lives revelling in the negatives. Alternatively, we can actually enjoy a young fella trying to make a go of things in a competetive outfit. The young bloke's no champion but he's moving forward. Good on him.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
1989 saint
Club Player

i think jones is to stagnent, slow to make decisions and dosnt have a right boot.

he is quick and flukes tackles, but other than that, dosnt seem to have much more in the arsenal, should look to either play him in a dyre emergancy if we are depleted by injury or trade him off at end of season

Should have won the premiership in '04, '05, went nowhere in '06, wasted '07, wish for a win in '08

FOX FOOTY ---- LEST WE FORGET CHANNEL 506