Help North Melbourne to stay in Melbourne ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I agree 100% with OWTS that it will be an extremely sad day when the Kangas are finally forced to merge or relocate (and, alas, I think it is a matter of when rather than if).

Tradition and local affiliations are crucial elements of any sporting competition. I'd hate to see us adopt the American model in which the owners of sporting teams can arbitrarily decide to move them from one city to another.

That said, what other long-term hope is there for the Kangas other than relocation? Teams with a dwindling supporter base have typically turned their circumstances around by improving their on-field performances: for example, the Sainters since the early 1990s (for the most part).

But the Kangas have generally been an extremely strong team over the past 30 years or so (they were mostly cellar-dwellers before that time). Yet they have never had a large supporter base (the Kangas fan who claimed otherwise is dreaming). There has always been a major problem arising from the geographical overlap between the Bombers' supporter base and the potential one for the Kangas.

Realistically, the only viable long-term solution for the club is to find a new supporter base. Personally, I thought that the Canberra option was better than the Gold Coast: Canberrans will attend live sporting events in droves, whereas Gold Coast inhabitants seem to prefer watching sport in an air-conditioned room.

Anyway, I would love to see the Kangas turn it around and establish a viable future for themselves in Melbourne. But how are they going to do this?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
JeffDunne

Not sure how people come to the conclusion that North relocating somehow puts us in a stronger position.

It will be one more club ahead of us in the AFL's pecking order, one more club ahead of us financially and one more interstate game. If you think the AFL are going to send them there and allow them to be uncompetitive then you're kidding yourself. I believe we are already being scheduled to play one of their 4 games on the Coast next year.

IMO it will simply put us closer to being in the position the Kangaroos are today - struggling to match other clubs off the field.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Moving away from Melbourne is the only way to win a flag.

Until of course, the AFL decide to allocate one in Melbourne - or if Collingwood are ever good enough to take advantage of their 'draw'.

Non-Melbourne clubs have a huge headstart. Huge.

Every non-Melbourne club, should play finals every year. With roughly 10 genuine home games a year, against genuine away teams, you only need to pinch two wins on the road and you're in. When you do come to Melbourne, you play at one of 2 grounds.

Then when do you do make the 8, you get real home finals.

The AFL will prop you up, throw a bit more $ your way in the salary cap if it suits their agenda - and you're laughing.

The question is, are Melbourne clubs still the clubs we grew up with?

If North Melbourne still really North Melbourne? They're not called that anymore, they don't play where North Melbourne did and they don't wear the same jumper North did.

The Saints are pretty much the same.

It's not our game anymore.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Not sure how people come to the conclusion that North relocating somehow puts us in a stronger position.
One theory (although I don't subscribe to it) could be the reduction of a competitor in the already highly congested Melbourne AFL market for membership and more importatntly corporate Sponsorship.
JeffDunne wrote: It will be one more club ahead of us in the AFL's pecking order, one more club ahead of us financially and one more interstate game. If you think the AFL are going to send them there and allow them to be uncompetitive then you're kidding yourself. I believe we are already being scheduled to play one of their 4 games on the Coast next year. .
Agree, when relocating the Kangaroos will become the AFL's new love child. Rightly or wrongly the AFL must support the team that relocates as I would doubt the Coast let alone QLD has the interest in AFL (at this stage of the games development) to support two clubs.
JeffDunne wrote:IMO it will simply put us closer to being in the position the Kangaroos are today - struggling to match other clubs off the field.
Do you mean facilities such as Moorabbin redevelopment or staff structure?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
GrumpyOne

We should have a whip round amongst our forum members, and buy the Kangas for our VFL team.

About 100 shares at $20 each should do it.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

I feel bad they are in dire straits, but they've been in strife for a while and if its a choice between move to the Gold Coast or fold for good, I know what I'd choose in thier position.

Its pretty inevitable at this point, 9 teams in one city cannot possible survive in a national competition, the Roos are next on the block purely because of thier lack of money.

I'm not interested in buying a membership if thier own supporters won't. :roll:

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:
I'm not interested in buying a membership if thier own supporters won't. :roll:

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
JeffDunne

If you believe the surveys, North Melbourne have a higher % of supporters as members than any other club.

Now before anyone says "they should then relocate if they don't have enough supporters", ask yourself, would they have any more members if based on the GC than they do now?

Of course they wouldn't.

However they'd be getting a lot more financial support from the AFL, will get concessions that could cost us players (if not our best player) and will result in St Kilda playing less games in Melbourne.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

i have thought about buying a roos membership for a while, but i feel like i could upgrade my saints membership, and give my coin to the club that means more to me..

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:i have thought about buying a roos membership for a while, but i feel like i could upgrade my saints membership, and give my coin to the club that means more to me..

Or .......... You could put your hard earned into the Saintsational Player Sponsorship !!

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Eastern, fonz_#15 is actually doing a lot of the groundwork for the sponsorship in terms of contacting the club next week etc.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
nick_nexus
Club Player

The sooner the Kangas and the Dogs cease to exist the better for us. Get rid of them I say. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Grant Thomas was the best coach St.kilda ever had.
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Yes, obviously they're about as much loved as your good self nick_nexus. :roll:

sax
Club Player

NO WAY!!!! I wouldn't help out any other club!!!!
I'm a Saints supporter living in SA and I never want the Saints to move, but hell, the sooner the Roos move, the better off we'll be.
When are you Vics gonna work out it's a National comp now, & Victoria's not big enough for ten teams!

Roos to Gold Coast +
Dogs to Darwin +
Hawks to Tassie +
????? to Canberra =
6 teams in Vic, A TRUE National Competition & MORE corperate & sponsorship dollars for the SAINTS!!!!!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote:NO WAY!!!! I wouldn't help out any other club!!!!
I'm a Saints supporter living in SA and I never want the Saints to move, but hell, the sooner the Roos move, the better off we'll be.
When are you Vics gonna work out it's a National comp now, & Victoria's not big enough for ten teams!

Roos to Gold Coast +
Dogs to Darwin +
Hawks to Tassie +
????? to Canberra =
6 teams in Vic, A TRUE National Competition & MORE corperate & sponsorship dollars for the SAINTS!!!!!

can't argue with your line of reason......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
JeffDunne

stinger wrote:

Roos to Gold Coast +
Dogs to Darwin +
Hawks to Tassie +
????? to Canberra =

can't argue with your line of reason......
I can. :D

I certainly understand if people don't want to help another club, but it's nonsense to suggest more sponsorship dollars would be available to us if there were less teams in Melbourne.

Sponsors aren't pouring millions into football for regional exposure - they are after a national audience and more interstate teams would mean less national exposure for us (IMO). Less exposure means less sponsorship $$$'s.
Last edited by JeffDunne on Thu 25 Oct 2007 4:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Roos to Gold Coast +
Dogs to Darwin +
Hawks to Tassie +
????? to Canberra =
We will then have up to 9 interstate trips a year. That will really get people going on here.

helsy3
Club Player

sax wrote: Roos to Gold Coast +
Dogs to Darwin +
Hawks to Tassie +
????? to Canberra =
And now pop St Kilda where the ???'s are. And then imagine how that would make you feel.

Anyway, last word from me. Apologies to the dude who was abused by North supporters, even tho I have no idea who they were................. And thanks to those who've actually thought about the issue in an empathetic manner, rather than the good old BUT HOW WILL IT AFFECT ME Gen X warcry.

The North people will fight the good fight.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

They are an unviable nothing rabble of a club.

The sooner they relocate or fold the better.

I couldn't give a stuff about them.

They won flags in 96 and 99 and still have no supporters...they don't deserve to exist.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:I

Realistically, the only viable long-term solution for the club is to find a new supporter base. Personally, I thought that the Canberra option was better than the Gold Coast: Canberrans will attend live sporting events in droves, whereas Gold Coast inhabitants seem to prefer watching sport in an air-conditioned room.

Anyway, I would love to see the Kangas turn it around and establish a viable future for themselves in Melbourne. But how are they going to do this?
..they actually turned around and shat on the act government and the canberra community.......whores , that's all they are.....can be bought by whoever pays the most......

sax
Club Player

[quote="plugger66"][quote="sax"]NO WAY!!!! I wouldn't help out any other club!!!!

Roos to Gold Coast +
Dogs to Darwin +
Hawks to Tassie +
????? to Canberra =
6 teams in Vic, A TRUE National Competition & MORE corperate & sponsorship dollars for the SAINTS!!!!![/quote]

We will then have up to 9 interstate trips a year. That will really get people going on here.[/quote]

WE Should have UP TO 9 interstate trips a year, just like we should have 30 rounds a year (which will never happen), just like every other team SHOULD, it's a national competition people, NOT the VFL anymore!!!!!!

helsy3
Club Player

stinger wrote:
..they actually turned around and shat on the act government and the canberra community.......whores , that's all they are.....can be bought by whoever pays the most......
Sheesh Mr Happy, you make it so hard to not reply :?

sax
Club Player

[quote="JeffDunne"][quote="stinger"][quote="sax"]NO WAY!!!! I wouldn't help out any other club!!!!

Roos to Gold Coast +
Dogs to Darwin +
Hawks to Tassie +
????? to Canberra =
6 teams in Vic, A TRUE National Competition & MORE corperate & sponsorship dollars for the SAINTS!!!!![/quote]..

can't argue with your line of reason......[/quote]
I can. :D

I certainly understand if people don't want to help another club, but it's nonsense to suggest more sponsorship dollars would be available to us if there were less teams in Melbourne.

Sponsors aren't pouring millions into football for regional exposure - they are after a national audience and more interstate teams would mean less national exposure for us (IMO). Less exposure means less sponsorship $$$'s.[/quote]

That's RUBBISH, absolute CRAP!!!!!!

With a club in every state there'd be alot more national exposure for everyone. It's not so much the sponsors, it's the corporate dollar we'd pick up, 6 teams instead of 10, memberships would increase over time also.

Look, I AM a South Australian, I've supported the Saints for 28 of my 33 yrs on this planet (maybe longer, can't remember), & I've been a member for 15.
I've seen first hand how much easier it is for less clubs in a city to attract Dollars, be it corperate, membership or sponsorship.

You'd get more people at Home games, because with less clubs in Melb, supporters could get a tad starved, you'd also get a few members jumping ship from relocated clubs.

I understand you don't want to lose the VFL, but it's not the VFL anymore, it's the AFL, a national competition, & I'm sorry to say that eventually clubs are going to be forced to relocate for their own survival, & could play up to 9 interstate games a season.

What I'm trying to say is as Saints supporters, we should be thinking of our own clubs interests, make sure WE have enough members & dollars, so we're not one of the clubs that are eventually FORCED to relocate!!!!!!

OH, And can someone PLEASE tell me how to highlight the quotes? I'm a tad computer illiterate! :oops: :oops:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

helsy3 wrote:
stinger wrote:
Sheesh Mr Happy, you make it so hard to not reply :?
what have i said that was wrong or even a tiny bit incorrect...?????nothing.....

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Canberrans will attend live sporting events in droves, whereas Gold Coast inhabitants seem to prefer watching sport in an air-conditioned room.
The comparitiove crowd figures for the NRL sides beg to differ, Canberra Raiders have awful attendance, as did Norf when they played anyone but Sydney at Manuka.