Thomas, Saints in stalemate over payment dispute

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GrumpyOne

savatage wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Bevan Shorluey wrote:
Huzzad wrote:Read this a few minutes ago and was dissapoitned to hear that this is still not resolved. For goodness sake Thomas, you are not homeless. Sell your $1million dollar house, get one you can actually afford and stop draining money away from the club. True men cop it on the chin and move on. Things end badly, get over it. I'm sure you make enough from the media now.
Is that what you'd do if your employer shafted you and held onto your entitlements?
if i signed a declaration saying i got payed the monies owed i would

seriously its money grubbing at its worst , and without making my self sound like B4E its a absoulute slap in the face to all the st kilda players who took only a % of their wages while we were in the hole of almost bankrupty who still today havent recived their full payments

Grant Thomas you serioulsy are making the suporters of the club you say you love hate you .

pay the bastard off then errect a sign with his face on it saying "NOT WELCOME ANYMORE"
Yep, yep, yep, yep, yep.

If he's so desperate for money, he should've hung onto his Age "writer's" job. $1,000 a week that he arrogantly said he didn't need.
Arrogance - that just about sums it up in one word.

bozza1980
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Bevan Shorluey wrote:
Huzzad wrote:Read this a few minutes ago and was dissapoitned to hear that this is still not resolved. For goodness sake Thomas, you are not homeless. Sell your $1million dollar house, get one you can actually afford and stop draining money away from the club. True men cop it on the chin and move on. Things end badly, get over it. I'm sure you make enough from the media now.
Is that what you'd do if your employer shafted you and held onto your entitlements?

seriously its money grubbing at its worst , and without making my self sound like B4E its a absoulute slap in the face to all the st kilda players who took only a % of their wages while we were in the hole of almost bankrupty who still today havent recived their full payments

Grant Thomas you serioulsy are making the suporters of the club you say you love hate you .

pay the bastard off then errect a sign with his face on it saying "NOT WELCOME ANYMORE"
Unfortunately we no longer live in the days where people played, coached or ran football clubs for the love of it.

If the club owes Grant Thomas money we should pay him, if the club owes Grant Thomas money he is not wrong to ask for it.

So take the passion out of the argument here guys, if he is owed money he is owed money end of story and the club, not Grant Thomas, have acted in a dishonest and inappropriate way.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Bevan Shorluey wrote:

Unfortunately we no longer live in the days where people played, coached or ran football clubs for the love of it.

If the club owes Grant Thomas money we should pay him, if the club owes Grant Thomas money he is not wrong to ask for it.

So take the passion out of the argument here guys, if he is owed money he is owed money end of story and the club, not Grant Thomas, have acted in a dishonest and inappropriate way.
Obviously the new Board, who had nothing to do with the case originally, feel that he is not owed the money. They have already shown that they have no desire to blindly support decisions made by the previous Board, so it seems to me that they feel GT's claim is not warranted. If it was, they certainly would have paid him out, considering they have already put in a contingency in the 2007 accounts for such a payment.

The Peanut
Club Player

Grant Thomas was shunted on in a hell of hurry - invited to a meeting and told to hop it - GT is a tough coot but that was a shock of a lifetime for him. Surely he has a case that he didn't have an appropriate amount of time to make a rational decision in that moment.

Neverthless he is pushing it a bit with the extras - especially for someone who loves the club so much.

He is owed 100 - the 170 extra entitlements shouldn't be paid in my view - unless they are clearly stated in his contract.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote:Grant Thomas was shunted on in a hell of hurry - invited to a meeting and told to hop it - GT is a tough coot but that was a shock of a lifetime for him. Surely he has a case that he didn't have an appropriate amount of time to make a rational decision in that moment.

Neverthless he is pushing it a bit with the extras - especially for someone who loves the club so much.

He is owed 100 - the 170 extra entitlements shouldn't be paid in my view - unless they are clearly stated in his contract.

but he reject the 100g's payout. That says everything really.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

if i sign a contract then a few weeks later think to myself s*** shouldnt of signed that its too bad the club should not be made to pay for something he signed he got just cause he though about it and decided he shouldnt of signed .

sure if hes owed money then yes all money owed should be payed but as reported he signed that he had no claim to any money so therefore to me he is owed nothing

i understand people dont play or work for the love of the club anymore but GT is the one who came out and said he bleeds for the club ...maybe he ment he's going to bleed the club

go away GT your undoing all the good memories of your time at st kilda

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
karnaby
Club Player

bozza1980 wrote: Unfortunately we no longer live in the days where people played, coached or ran football clubs for the love of it.

Sadly I agree with you Bozza. I really wish that this can be resolved promptly & that the club can move on without this bloddy distraction.

It is all too easy for some to suggest that he either accepts a token payment or pisses off empty handed. Equally the other POV is to just pay him out & be done with it. Unfortunately the mid point really needs to be assessed by someone qualified to do so & that potentially means going to court.

I don't want to see him get money which he isn't due to get however I recognise his right to get what is due to him. I'm not in any position to assess the legitimacy of his claim & I sincerely doubt that anyone else around here has enough information to do so either. People can moralise all they like but that is not going to go one inch towards solving the problem.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

mischa wrote:That article sounds like a word for word copy of the crap written on here :roll: :roll: :roll: No bias there :roll: No wonder they're a major sponsor! At least RL has nothing to fear from 'The Age'!
nice one mischa.

Now go jump back into bed and start dreaming about loverboy again.

FFS get a clue....show some respect for respected Journalists!

Open up just one eye, even partially and you may see some daylight.

I'm sick of your biased crap and never ending love of GT.

Come on barks, let's give this bloke mischa an education on ethics and what stats decs actually mean.

Obviously Thomas and mischa both don't have a clue.

As for GT - if I was running the club and he wanted to become a member, I'd reject the application.

Great St.Kilda Man....ohh my rectum hurts!!!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
The most confusing sentence I've ever read.

bozza1980
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:if i sign a contract then a few weeks later think to myself s*** shouldnt of signed that its too bad the club should not be made to pay for something he signed he got just cause he though about it and decided he shouldnt of signed .

sure if hes owed money then yes all money owed should be payed but as reported he signed that he had no claim to any money so therefore to me he is owed nothing
Obviously GT's lawyers believe the contract renouncing his right to annual leave etc is not worth the paper it is written on.

Basically they've fired the bloke then asked that he sign away his entitlements. In my opinion, this is bad faith on behalf of the club.

At the end of the day it is looking decidely more likely that this is heading to the courts for a decision, not a good result for GT or the club.

So our club finds itself in a very familiar position with a long serving coach dismissed and the club trying to refuse him entitlements.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote: Basically they've fired the bloke then asked that he sign away his entitlements. In my opinion, this is bad faith on behalf of the club.
I'm not sure it happened in that order. My understanding is that the agreement for the $100K payment was signed on the day of the sacking. The stat dec for the leave entitlements was actually signed up to a week before the sacking, from my understanding, without being in the room.

I agree though. If he's owed, pay him and move on.

But I think that there is some severe doubt that he is actually owed more than the $100K and that will be where Denny Crane and Alan Shore are required.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
saintwill66
Club Player

I agree with Peanut, GTs demands are excessive and contradict his statements that he really loves the club. If he feels badly done by then he should adopt the attitude of his former team-mates who accepted just a few cents in the dollar of what they were owed years ago when the club was in a bad way. Surely he realises that every dollar he extracts from St Kilda will mean a dollar less that the club will have to spend on winning a premiership.

It seems a bit rich to claim that he signed a Stat Dec under duress. He has vast experience in the world of business as well as football politics, and he of all people would be fully aware that he could not be compelled to sign any documents he did not want to sign. I have no doubt that he signed quite voluntarily at the time, but then changed his mind when he thought he could go for more. I will be very surprised if his extended claim, beyond the $100,000 will stand up in a court of law.

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

What's the point in barks posting...........

He's been more or less correct in his opinions on this pathetic saga all along (imo of course).

Some people need to realise that the selfish actions of this bloke (GT) goes against everything this Club stands for.
Last edited by TimeToShineFellas on Thu 20 Dec 2007 3:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Re: Thomas, Saints in stalemate over payment dispute

Stephen Rielly | December 20, 2007 "The Age"

HE HAS been gone for more than 12 months but it will be some time yet before St Kilda and Grant Thomas disentangle themselves.

Notwithstanding the change of leadership that occurred at Moorabbin in October, the terms of the divorce between the former coach and club remain contested, with two recent attempts by the board of new president Greg Westaway to resolve the dispute failing.

It is understood the Saints offered Thomas approximately $100,000 two weeks ago to settle his claim against the club; a two-part writ asking for a total of $276,000 which was served in September.

The approach, which was rebuffed, is believed to have been made on the club's behalf by former director and player Michael Nettlefold who has made a return to Moorabbin and may yet rejoin the board.

Yesterday morning, a further attempt to settle the claim and finally turn the page on a controversial period in the club's history failed, when representatives of both parties were brought together but parted without a deal.

The writ, which was served on the then St Kilda administration of Rod Butterss on September 5, includes a demand for $100,000 that Thomas claims was promised to him upon his sacking in 2006 on the condition that he did not criticise the club or anyone representing it.

The $100,000 settlement, which was meant to be paid last March, was allegedly offered by Butterss, then football director Mark Kellett and chief executive Archie Fraser, who remains with the club.

A further $167,000 is being sought for what Thomas has claimed are annual leave and public holiday entitlements, although the former coach signed a statutory declaration while he was still at the club which stated he had taken all the annual leave he was owed. Thomas has since claimed that he was pressured to sign that declaration.

Thomas said at the time of his unexpected departure almost 15 months ago that he could never hurt St Kilda and vowed to maintain a dignified silence but the Butterss board argued that he failed to honoUr this promise and engaged lawyer Nick Stretch to defend its decision to withhold the money.

On one occasion, Butterss publicly accused Thomas of attempting to undermine the club through a whispering campaign against members of the board and said the ex-coach had sought to interfere in the affairs of a number of players.

The then president, who spectacularly fell out with the coach in 2005 and later pursued the return of more than $1 million he personally loaned to him in 2001, was then ousted himself by Westaway and his Footy First ticket, who are understood to have allocated funds for a settlement with Thomas in the 2007 accounts.

St Kilda would not comment yesterday and Thomas could not be contacted.
FACT

Thomas sought to include $500,000 bonus when negotiating his last contract if he delivered a premiership

The board refused but agreed to a $500,000 bonus on top of the $500,000 he was already on if he delivered two premierships, with this to be paid in the second premiership year

( IMHO Thomas was looking for an easy way to pay back the 1,000,000 loan to Butterss, using football club money)

As Thomas sought to include a performance based aspect into his contract the board countered this with one of it's own > that Thomas could have his contract terminated at any time without any contractual payout obligation

Thomas signed off on and agreed to this!

When Thomas was exited out, the St.Kilda football club was not obligated to pay Thomas one cent

BUT Butterss STUPIDLY agreed to pay silence money to Thomas to go quietly

Perhaps Butterss had a few skeletons of his own that he wanted kept hush hush

Anyway this payment of $100,000 was not an obligation in the terms of Thomas's contract, but silence money to go away and be silent

They should not have been allowed to do this as this was not part of the initial contract and was simply just hush money

That Thomas on SEN amongst other things for example was saying things such as" the best way to beat Maguire is to.............." was not appreciated by the previous board

btw, it is interesting to note that during Thomas's time in Warnnabool, apparently he and Maguire's father became NOT the best of friends

Grant Thomas has been paid over 2.5 million for his services already

Thomas claims he would never do anything to hurt the club, yet he is now suing the St.Kilda Football Club for money which includes the figure of $176,000 which he's already signed a stat dec stating he's already been paid

The St.Kilda Football Club have agreed to pay out the $100,000 in hush money that Butterss offered him, but even this is not enough for Thomas

FAIR DINKUM :roll:

Many ex- players back in the 80's took 22.5 cents in the dollar to keep the club in existence and without their sacrifice there wouldn't be a St.Kilda Football Club for Thomas to sue in the first place

At that time guess who took every cent owing to him, yes Thomas took 100 cents in the dollar and then pissed off to North when at the time there was more money to made there

Grant Thomas should be happy to take another $100,000 which was simply hush money which Butterss should never have offered this in the first place, BUT even this is not enough and even though Thomas signed a stat dec stating he has recieved all of his holiday pay and annual leave entitlements he is now claiming he was pressured into signing this and wants more FOOTBALL CLUB money to line his pockets with

Grant Thomas you are a parasite

If you're still desperate to meet me, I'm more than happy to catch up :idea:

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
asiu

why would butterrs put $100,000 worth of 'hush' money on the table in the first place ?

just wish gt a merry christmas ......ebenezer

c'mon, u can do it

:P

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:BUT Butterss STUPIDLY agreed to pay silence money to Thomas to go quietly

Big Bingo. Huge. Spot on the money. This wasn't about GT possibly criticising the club. It was RB protecting his turf. Rod wanted his skeletons and position to remain.
barks4eva wrote: btw, it is interesting to note that during Thomas's time in Warnnabool, apparently he and Maguire's father became NOT the best of friends
Not true. Goose snr and GT were and are good friends. In fact, many of GT's St Kilda staff came from his days at Warrnambool including Billy Couch (property and brother of Paul) & Sandy Morrison (runner).

You don't need to continually bring up the 1980s stuff though as it is well known that GT will look after number one. Can't fault him for that though. Football is a job to them, not a club. They are employees.

If you thought you were wronged by your employer, you wouldn't not fight it.

However, I think he's wrong, but defend his right to fight.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

saintwill66 wrote:I agree with Peanut, GTs demands are excessive and contradict his statements that he really loves the club. If he feels badly done by then he should adopt the attitude of his former team-mates who accepted just a few cents in the dollar of what they were owed years ago when the club was in a bad way. Surely he realises that every dollar he extracts from St Kilda will mean a dollar less that the club will have to spend on winning a premiership.
EXACTLY, but it was always about Grant Thomas ONE with the St.Kilda Football Club a very distant second

It seems a bit rich to claim that he signed a Stat Dec under duress. He has vast experience in the world of business as well as football politics, and he of all people would be fully aware that he could not be compelled to sign any documents he did not want to sign. I have no doubt that he signed quite voluntarily at the time, but then changed his mind when he thought he could go for more. I will be very surprised if his extended claim, beyond the $100,000 will stand up in a court of law

EXACTLY

It's an obvious try to bleed even more money off the clubs bottomline

What sort of buffoon signs a stat dec stating he's already been paid all holiday and annual leave entitlements and then sue's the club saying he hasn't been paid and that he was pressured into signing?

Unfortunately the same buffoon that ran our football department like a chook raffle

Anyone who thinks that Thomas can be pressured into signing away his annual leave entitlements is also a fair dinkum buffoon, this is just another blatant lie from the "little johnnie man" who quite frankly should be happy with the $100,000 hush money the Club has offered, and like little johnnie dissapear into the sunset

Afterall the St.Kilda football club has already paid Thomas over 2.5 million and still he's trying to bleed more off the bottomline

It should not be forgotten that Grant Thomas was on $500,000 from the get go, with no previous AFL coaching experience, in what he himself has said was a flawed process

As a member who has just shelved out almost $1,000 three days ago, which includes a second membership that I largely buy to help the club out, quite frankly I'm appalled at this leech's behaviour

Is this how membership money should be spent?

I will be very angry with the St.Kilda Football Club if they give into this parasite and pay him even one cent towards his $176,000 try on for holiday pay and annual leave entitlements, which he's already signed a stat dec stating he isn't owed

Grant Thomas IMHO you are SCUM!

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

You seriously disappoint me B4E.

Not a todger tugger, wacky tracky dacky or a Boy Wonder Bundy in two posts.

What is going on?

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:BUT Butterss STUPIDLY agreed to pay silence money to Thomas to go quietly

SENsaintsational wrote: Big Bingo. Huge. Spot on the money. This wasn't about GT possibly criticising the club. It was RB protecting his turf. Rod wanted his skeletons and position to remain.

It was very obvious that this was the case from day one when this questionable payout offer was made!

Thomas legally binding contract had been paid out in full!

The $100,000 hush money is Football Club money and Butterss had NO right to offer this in the first place

The actions of these two have in my opinion cost this club big time

I have no doubt that Butterss wanted only good for the St.Kilda Football Club but having aligned himself so closely with Thomas, who he then fell out with, it became his poisoned chalice

Thomas was always in it for himself as priority numberr one which is evidenced by his latest actions

Thomas talks of selflessness, love for the club and "I would never do anything to hurt the football club" yada yada but his actions hardly back it up

barks4eva wrote: btw, it is interesting to note that during Thomas's time in Warnnabool, apparently he and Maguire's father became NOT the best of friends
Not true. Goose snr and GT were and are good friends.

Ok I might be wrong on this, BUT that's not what I've heard!

GrumpyOne

SENsaintsational wrote:You seriously disappoint me B4E.

Not a todger tugger, wacky tracky dacky or a Boy Wonder Bundy in two posts.

What is going on?
Puberty?

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Ah, that explains all the pimple cream adverts coming through the spambots!

mischa
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
The most confusing sentence I've ever read.
Don't you mean the dumbest? Goes for the whole post! :roll:
saintspremiers wrote:Now go jump back into bed and start dreaming about loverboy again.
Now it's a real shock to see someone starting an idiotic thread entitled "Thank You John Howard" holding those views. Where are the mods when you need them?
saintspremiers wrote: FFS get a clue....show some respect for respected Journalists!
ROFL Now I know you're mad. I repeat, nope no bias there :roll: :roll: :roll: Doesn't Carol Ann work at "The Age"? :roll:
bozza1980 wrote: Obviously GT's lawyers believe the contract renouncing his right to annual leave etc is not worth the paper it is written on.
An intelligent point. Surely he/they wouldn't be pursuing it otherwise :?:
A distinction has to be made between what GT is potentially owed vs. the hateful propaganda of what the "haters" just assume is correct. They have zip, zero, nothing to go on. And these are the ppl who actually pretended they were supporters of the club, when GT was the coach. :roll: :roll: Yeh, right. The sad reality is just the opposite-Walls and Smith Hucksters and the truth is coming home to roost.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

mischa wrote:. And these are the ppl who actually pretended they were supporters of the club, when GT was the coach. :roll: :roll:
I'd really like some clarification on this statement, if you would be so kind. :?:

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

HALLELUJAH!

People are finally seeing GT for what he really is.

Perhaps he should go and sort out his financial matters with Mr Butterrs first :idea:

I really hope this pigdog never returns to the club in any shape or form :evil:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Bevan Shorluey wrote:

exactly......bet the posters on here berating thomas would be the first ones to squeal like stuck pigs if their employer tried to shaft them......as i have said all along ..the courts will sort it out..

interesting to see that the same posters who initially were saying give him nothing..as that's what he is owed, now seem to concede that the club owes him at least 100 grand.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.