Raph Clarke

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

Just to add to the "debate".

Some may recall that last year Lyon referred to the prospect of having 2 6 foot 2 or more running mid-fielders, in R. Clarke and Gilbert.

If the coach says that, well why would you disregard him?

I have a feeling that Gilbert may be asked to assume full back (194 cm) - unless someone else arrives over the next season or two.

But I see R. Clarke (188 cm) as a genuine utility, capable of giving great flexibility to the side.

If they both finish up as the 6 foot 2 plus running mid-fielders Lyon has referred to them as, well and good.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
The_Dud wrote:
To the top wrote:The Dud, Clarke did the disciplined thing by punching - obvioiusly there was no voice so he took the safe option, allowing players to congregate around the ball following the throw in.

Holding the guys jumper, well in these times who hasn't been pinged for that? In fact, he was stiff to get caught because it was well before the ball arrived, and the guy cannoned into Blake's back. Plus it was monentary and had no influence on the play - not that that is the rule!
when he punched the ball out of bounds it was blatantly deliberate, and he got pinged for it, rightly so. should have taken the mark, 5 meters in the clear

and one thing that annoys me about all backmen, not just him, is holding the jumper. the coach should sit down the back line before each game, and drill into their heads "Do not hold your opponents jumper or put your hands anywhere near their back!" It is one of the most frustrating things to watch

The thing is, he aint getting any better, really. These were the same things we were arguing about 2 years ago. I know its a NAB cup game, and I have no problem with playing him in that role, but IMO he hasn't shown enough to get a game in the proper season ahead of blokes like CJ, Blake, Geary, Armo or even Fiora or Birss
I would suggest that Raph Clakre isn't in competition for spots against CJ, Fiora, Geary, Armo or Birss.....So your opinion on weather those players have past R Clarke or not is insignificant.
ok, look at it this way then

Max, S Fisher, Goose, Gilbert, L Fisher, Gram, Baker and Blake are all ahead of him at the moment just looking at players who play in defence

this guy is living on potential, if he was taken pick 60 in the draft and his brother didn't also pay in the team, he wouldn't be getting as easy a ride as he does

i want to see him succeed, but not if the team has to carry him

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

The_Dud wrote: ok, look at it this way then

Max, S Fisher, Goose, Gilbert, L Fisher, Gram, Baker and Blake are all ahead of him at the moment just looking at players who play in defence

this guy is living on potential, if he was taken pick 60 in the draft and his brother didn't also pay in the team, he wouldn't be getting as easy a ride as he does

i want to see him succeed, but not if the team has to carry him
If Raph had been taken at pick 60, and his brother weren't on the team, he'd be getting a much softer ride. We'd be saying taller players take time, and be far less concerned with him developing vs. stepping in and being a star. We wouldn't be at all concerned with whether he realised enough of his potential to be kept or let go at end of year.

Friday night we saw all the worst of Raph. Struggling in one on one matchups in defense, not thinking his way through the play, and one sided. Based on the preseason, it's tough to put Raph into the round 1 team.

I like him playing loose, I like him taking set kicks, and I like what he can do at ground level, but if he's going to play in the defensive 50 he simply can't give away that many opportunities, and there's been no sign that we want to/can play him anywhere else.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
congorozides
Club Player

To the top wrote:Just to add to the "debate".

Some may recall that last year Lyon referred to the prospect of having 2 6 foot 2 or more running mid-fielders, in R. Clarke and Gilbert.

If the coach says that, well why would you disregard him?

I have a feeling that Gilbert may be asked to assume full back (194 cm) - unless someone else arrives over the next season or two.

But I see R. Clarke (188 cm) as a genuine utility, capable of giving great flexibility to the side.

If they both finish up as the 6 foot 2 plus running mid-fielders Lyon has referred to them as, well and good.
Gilbert has gone passed Raph im afraid.
Gilbert shows Raph what could be. Intensity. Tackling. Decision-making. Gilbert has flown past Raph on the development stakes. I dont disregard what RL says, but it was probably wishful thinking of what COULD be. But only Raph can make it come true.

rexy
SS Life Member

intersting side note to Friday nights last quarter was that what he saw when he looked up was completely alien. No Gherig, Kosi or Roo. We have 5 guys who I consider to be quality running defenders, Sam Fisher, Brendan Goddard, Sam Gilbert, Raph Clarke and Jason Gram. Gram Gilbert and Fisher choose to unload the ball long when they see no other option. Goddard and Raph choose to hold on to the ball and wait when in the same boat, it makes their mistakes look alot worse.

I do not know what the coaches instruction is so I dont know who is right and wrong.

Maybe this year?
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

hAyES wrote:If Raph gets a game this year I will be very disappointed in the selectors.

Agreed.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

congorozides wrote: Gilbert has gone passed Raph im afraid.
Gilbert shows Raph what could be. Intensity. Tackling. Decision-making. Gilbert has flown past Raph on the development stakes. I dont disregard what RL says, but it was probably wishful thinking of what COULD be. But only Raph can make it come true.

Gilbert is way past Raph.
People say Raph could be a great running half-back but the fact is Raph is quite slow. He lopes around and often gets caught because he is a poor deicision maker. On top of this his disposal by foot and hand is terrible (hes not alone there though). The only time Raph looks decent is when he plays as a loose man in defense and even then he's not that effective because his disposal/decision-making is poor.