IMO/IMHO

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

It's useful for pointing out that something is subjective and that you would be open to the possibility of someone else having a differing viewpoint.

Pretty simple really, it's much more polite than stating everything you say as hard facts.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

IMO the weirdest thread of the year so far :wink:

Before Im 85
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Just one of the quirks of language called TXTspeak or netspeak.

IMO or IMHO is one I can actually live with, honestly.

asiu

human progress is a wonderful thing ...

its the imhFo 'ers that have gone out of their way to calm what has at times been a saint eat saint cubby house

and good on em ....much nicer place to hang around

its all about the history of the place buzzard....(which is a lot longer than 4 months) .....its not hard

Raven
Club Player

I usually get really nitpicky about this kind of thing on forums but for some reason this doesn't bother me, I even do it myself.

As others have said, I believe it's because saying IMO/IMHO reinforces that you're not arguing with someone because they're wrong or for the sake of arguing, but you're simply stating your opinion as opposed to theirs. It's kind of like saying "don't get annoyed at me because I'm opposing you, I'm just stating my opinion".

It's not as if you're reinforcing that you are actually stating your opinion in case someone was wondering.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Raven wrote:It's kind of like saying "don't get annoyed at me because I'm opposing you, I'm just stating my opinion".
exactly. it is sort of a polite way of saying "i'm right and you are wrong" :P

Huzzad
Club Player

Well I thank you all for your thoughts, I just still find it a little redundant that is all. I'm not asking you to stop using it, just wanted to initially point out that it was irritating me because I viewed it as pointless and rather self-evident that what was being said was obviously going to be the person's honest opinion, as opposed to their uncle's second cousin or whatever.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Huzzad,

Interesting point you raise.

I don't mind 'IMO' and 'IMHO' as I feel it is often used to say 'look, it's only my opinion...'

I think to that end, it serves a purpose.

Seeing people come on an tlk lk this hwvr is mch wrs i fink lol omg did u c dals bd @ trning 2dy omg hes so cute dally pls pst smthing on my myspc i luv u evr...

Look, I'd much rather we wrote everything out in full and used some basic paragraphs and punctuation, but it's not going to happen.

So my advc is 2 jst del wif it & dnt wry abt it cs its here 2 sty omg add my on fcebk & msn pls :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink:

That really brings down the standard of the forum, to my mind. But a few IMO/IMHO can probably be let go...although I very much understand your point, and yes, it probably should be a given.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Huzzad
Club Player

Thanks for understanding Everton. Pretty much nailed my point on the head.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews