How did the scorps go?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:C Jones is no 'certainty' to come in.

Minimal changes. M Gardiner to come in for R Clarke is probably as close to a certainty as you can get.
I agree !!

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

borderbarry wrote:Maybe Ferg for L.Fish? M.Rix for Blake? not sure about that one though.
Great, one dud in to replace another! Brilliant!

ballbaker

was at the game
cj was great
charlie just fair
rix & mcevoy good ruck combo
woody some strong marks and goals
robert eddy had task on justin berry, seemed to do well bu berry kicked 4
jimmy gwilt played well
goose is struggling, few strong marks but ordinary below his knees, played whole game
ferg was excellent bar once standing back from marking opportunity
dempster & birss ok
mini solid

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ballbaker wrote:goose is struggling, few strong marks but ordinary below his knees, played whole game
sad really. will he ever get back to what he was?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
ballbaker wrote:goose is struggling, few strong marks but ordinary below his knees, played whole game
given that this would seem to be the first game where he has played virtually every minute I guess they will be really looking at how his foot/ feet recover and his recovery.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
4ever_saint
Club Player

i think the important thing we need to remember when looking at goose is that he broke his leg in 2006. when you compare his recovery to that of nathan brown, they are sorta following a similiar pattern and i think it will take at least until season 2009 for goose to return to 2005/2006 form. i do strongly believe that he will be in full form sooner or later (hopefully sooner rather than later).

unfortunately though i dont think ross lyon has the same faith in him that grant thomas had, so there will be probably less pressure for him to come back- which could be a good thing for his recovery. i guess the only thing we can do is wait and see.

how many rounds do you suppose he is away from playing again?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
given that this would seem to be the first game where he has played virtually every minute I guess they will be really looking at how his foot/ feet recover and his recovery.
don't worry. i haven't forgotten him.

i just hope the heirachy hasn't either. goose can play and the sooner he gets back to his best the better it will be for st kilda.

i hope rossy is giving him encouragement and showing some faith.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saw this report on Casey's Website:
http://www.scorpions.com.au/match-repor ... ivals.html

Interesting snippet on Howards's BOG in the twos.

Scorpions Prevail Over Local Rivals

Saturday night saw the first game under lights at Casey Fields.

It was Frankston who strarted strongly, but failed to make an impact on the scoreboard, before Casey ran out eventual winners. Club champions Jason Caples and Steve Harrison were in the rooms before the game to present debutants Joel Galvin and Ryan Creed their game day jumpers.

The first quarter saw the intensity high as the Dolphins tried to assert themselves in the contest. Casey struggled to hit their targets, and as a result, Frankston had 11 shots on goal, to just 4 by the Scorpions.

Casey 1. 3. 9
Frankston 2. 9. 21

A better effort by Casey in the second term saw the team kick four majors, Matthew Ferguson and Alex Silvagni were controlling the backline well, which allowed Clinton Jones to work hard through the midfield to gain plenty of possesion. The decision making and skill level in the second quarter, while still not convincing, was much better and at the main break the Scorpions went in with their noses ahead.

Casey 5. 8. 38
Frankston 3. 12. 30

The third quarter saw the Scorpions come out with some added grunt and better execution of their skills.
Joel Galvin came on the ground and made an impact with some dash through the midfield and around half forward, while Michael Rix was working tirelessly in the ruck allowing Ben McEvoy to drift forward and take a couple of strong pack marks. Captain for the day James Wall, was finding it at ease at both ends of the ground, snagging a major while also dictating play when in the backline. Robert Eddy was playing an unselfish role on Frankstons goal sneak Justin Berry. This meant the Scorpions were able to slam 6 goals, while the Dolphins accuracy in front of the sticks was till costing them.

Casey 11.11. 77
Frankston 6. 18. 54

The last quarter saw the sting go out of the game and the Scorpions were able to eventually run out winners by 38 points. It was a pleasing result for the Scorpions who showed that they can grind out a win despite not being at the top of their game. Matthew Ferguson was named Best on Ground, and continues to gain confidence with game time.
Casey 1.3 5.8 11.11 16.14-110

Frankston 2.9 3.12 6.18 9.18-72

Casey Scorpions

Goal Kickers: J. Allen 3, M. Rix 2, C. Dunne 2, B. McEvoy 2, M. Ferguson, A. McQualter, S. Garrubba, J. Gwilt, J. Wall, R. Eddy, R. Creed
Best Players: M. Ferguson, A. Silvagni, C. Jones, J. Wall, R. Eddy, J. Galvin
Frankston

Goal Kickers: J. Berry 4, L. Clark 2, T. Dickson 2, S. Pollard
Best Players: M. Marigliani, A. Eames, J. Berry, T. Dickson, C. Barker, A. Lee

Our reserves season got underway, and Frankston were able to hang on in an exciting finish to win by 8 points. Casey kicked 5 unanswered goals in the last term, and showed signs of what they are capable of. Ben Waite kicked 3 majors and Brad Howard's zip and skill saw him with best on ground honours.

Casey Scorpions

Goal Kickers: B. Waite 3, P. McGrath 2, D. Noy 2, J. Steven 2, J. Singh, E. Panozza, B. Vernon
Best Players: B. Howard, E. Connors, J. Steven, B. Vernon, J. Matheson, P. Mercoulia

Frankston

Goal Kickers: R. Gabriel 3, M. Lourey 2, P. Whelan 2, D. White 2, M. Krakouer, K. Foggi, L. Potts, T. Lloyd
Best Players: B. Barry, K. Foggi, B. Dunne, M. Bosward, D. Comben, D. Luxa
Casey 3.2 6.6 7.8 12.11
Frankston 4.5 10.5 13.12 13.13

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Good to hear that some old champs from the scorps came down to present the jumpers.

Good sign that eddy is being trained defensively as a backman as well as in the midfield. Needs to have more then his endurance to make the level and since his skills by foot can be dodgy a defensive side could see him elevated at years end.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Good to see Howard, Steven and Connors play well in the 3rds.
Important that they dominate down that low so they force their way up through form rather than potential.

iceman
Club Player

just re saintsRrising's bold highlights, Ferguson has played some absoloute rippers for Springvale/Casey, it's just a shame he can't stay on the track for long enough. If the saints are looking for someone to give 100%, 100% of the time, this is the man!

Re Howard, i'm still not sure whether this is a conidence etc. or just lack of game smarts, yes he got BOG in Casey 2's but, you would expect this someone whos been in the system this long. He probably will play 1's this week for Casey.
It always seems people rave about his pace, but does that matter when he's getting to the contests a second too late anyway?
Hopefully this is the kickstart he needs!