1. Hodge 2. Ball 3. Judd

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Re: 1. Hodge 2. Ball 3. Judd

barks4eva wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote: we should all pitch in and purchase a rope for barks as it might be of assistance to both us and him if he was not on this earth

lovely
have you ever posted something positive...not criticized every decision that has turned out wrong???

you always hop on the decisions that turned out poorly and roll with it

the people that are able to make those decisions do so as they are successful in life...you aren't...you fail...please try again

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

1 Judd

2 Hodge

3 Ball

Hopefully it turns around later down the track.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:1 Judd

2 Hodge

3 Ball
More like

1 Judd
2 Hodge

daylight

3 Ball

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Everything said about Luke Ball is accurate, indisputable facts.

With the benefit of early hindsight Judd would have been the best choice.

With today's hindsight, given that Judd may never regain his former glory, Bartel taken by Geelong at No 8 or Mitchell taken by Hawthorn at 36 may have been better.
Gary Ablett jnr was off limits, gifted to Geelong under the father son at a lazy pick 40. Matthew Scarlett, Tom Hawkins, Mark Blake, Nathan Ablett, Adam Donohue also gifted under the father son. Missed Ben Cousins only because he had a choice of father son clubs.

Dal Santo would have been better to take with pick No 5 and X Clarke left to pick No 13.

Another indisputable fact is that Luke Ball did not draft himself at No 2.
X Clarke did not draft himself at No 5,
Also Dal Santo did not wait until No 13 and Maguire until No 21, Montagna until No 37 before nominating for the draft.

Clubs use their draft picks to select players.
If the player does not live up to the club's expectation then it is the club that made a poor selection not the player.

Richmond and their supporters were dirty on Fiora because they made a bad pick at No 3 in 1999. Now they have Polak who Fremantle wasted No 4 on in 2001.
Bartel .... Mitchell .... Dal Santo .... Swan (Collingwood) .... S. Johnson .... James Kelly (both Geelong) .... Montagna.
Last edited by ace on Tue 15 Apr 2008 1:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shaggy
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:

2 Hodge

3 Ball
More like

1 Judd
2 Hodge

daylight

3 Ball
Possibility the lowest post I have seen on SS.

Bally doesn't look like he will ever reach his true football potential because of OP.

But throughtout his troubles he has still been one of the guttsiest footballers I have seen don a Saints jumper and he puts more pressure on the opposition than half our team combined.

I don't think you can ask more from a player than if you can't play at your best at least give it your best. Ball does that.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I watched Ball on Saturday, and think is on the way back to top form -Ball, Hodge, Judd are all quality and we haven't seen the best of L Ball yet.

st paddy
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:

2 Hodge

3 Ball
More like

1 Judd
2 Hodge

3 Ball
pawn brokers

parking inspectors

snakes

blow flies

john howard

andrew bolt

daylight

barry hall

more daylight

Barks4eva.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Persuader wrote:This post is offensive to Luke Ball, a great player who gives his all and a former captain of the team.
Boo Hoo... Ball is far from a great player, and in the same way Tambling cops it in the media for being a poor selection ahead of Franklin, Griffen etc, so should Ball... Average player at best, and the fact is hindsight has shown he was the wrong decision at no.2..

Clearly we would all much prefer Hodge or Judd, and anyone who disagrees doesnt watch enough football...

From my knowledge of Judd and Butters around the 2000/2001 time, I wouldnt be surpirsed if Barks' original point is right on the money...

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Possibility the lowest post I have seen on SS.

Bally doesn't look like he will ever reach his true football potential because of OP.

But throughtout his troubles he has still been one of the guttsiest footballers I have seen don a Saints jumper and he puts more pressure on the opposition than half our team combined.

I don't think you can ask more from a player than if you can't play at your best at least give it your best. Ball does that.
Luke Ball is one of the gutsiest players, no question, his tackling is superb, to be applauded.

Hopefully Ball will get better and be able to kick 50 metres and be able to hit targets in the future but the facts are at the moment he can't.

Judd and Hodge are far more dynamic and destructive players for their teams than what Ball currently is for St.Kilda.

That's just reality, personally I love Ball, but unfortunately at the moment, I'd swap him for either Judd or Hodge without even blinking.

Obviously though Luke Ball should be treated like royalty and the truth of the matter should never be spoken.

AND please do not mention the war, there might be Germans reading

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

st paddy wrote:
barks4eva wrote:

2 Hodge

3 Ball
More like

1 Judd
2 Hodge

3 Ball
pawn brokers

parking inspectors

snakes

blow flies

john howard

andrew bolt

daylight

barry hall

more daylight

Barks4eva.
Whats this got to do about football?

These are the pathetic posts that restrict posters from outlining their true opinion.

These are the posts the destroy the quality of discussion. Which especially seem to appear when a post doesn't hold up a St Kilda player in all it's glory.

krabb
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:before Judd

Butterss who coached Judd as a 14yo wanted us to draft him, but Thomas overruled, disagreed and went for Ball instead.

Does anyone here still think Ball was a better selection?

Who here thinks Thomas made the right call?

8-)

From that draft

1. Hodge probably the most damaging kick to position and set up player in the entire AFL.

2. Luke Ball, slow, can't kick over a jam tin, but terrific in and under.

3. Judd probably the most damaging and dynamic quick midfielder in the AFL.
To go back to your orignal post and to keep on topic..

You're stating the bloody obvious.

Of course if we could go back to that moment in time when we had a choice of the three...we would've picked Judd...who wouldnt?

Its a bleeding tragedy whats happened to ball..i hope he improves but chances are he wont.

Thats what recruiting's all about...you pick a player for all the qualities you know he has.. and hope he can become all you know he could be.

Make no mistake about it....most recruiters had them all lineball...it was the most discussed subject around at the time....'which one would you pick?'

Judd's shoulders put a cloud over his head..if it hadnt been for that...i know we would've probably gone with him...sometimes you win and sometimes you dont...thats football.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote: From my knowledge of Judd and Butters around the 2000/2001 time, I wouldnt be surpirsed if Barks' original point is right on the money...
It is!

Butterss coached Judd as a 14yo and indicated to the football department that it was his preference that this selection be used on Judd and put forward a case for it.

However it was not Butterss decision as President, he was listened to but ignored and Thomas decided, Ball was the player he preferred.

They are just the facts, this is known publically, it was even reported in the press at the time.

They are on record in stating this.

st paddy
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:
Shaggy wrote: Possibility the lowest post I have seen on SS.

Luke Ball is one of the gutsiest players, no question, his tackling is superb, to be applauded.

Hopefully Ball will get better and be able to kick 50 metres and be able to hit targets in the future but the facts are at the moment he can't.

Judd and Hodge are far more dynamic and destructive players for their teams than what Ball currently is for St.Kilda.

That's just reality, personally I love Ball, but unfortunately at the moment, I'd swap him for either Judd or Hodge without even blinking.

Obviously though Luke Ball should be treated like royalty and the truth of the matter should never be spoken.

AND please do not mention the war, there might be Germans reading

You can mention the war all u like but it raises the question, amongst most anyway, as to WHY you'd even bother?

Why indeed does a grown man (supposedly) at 11:03am on a tuesday morning have nothing better to do with his time but to stir up ill feeling with a pointless thread about another mans worth?

Particularly when that same man achievements (although, I'm guessing, is less than half the posters age) far outweigh anything that the poster has (or will) ever achieve in his life.

I can assure u barks4eva that the bulk of respondees to this post have done so either whilst taking a break from school or work and that, unlike you, this is not the sum of their days output.

To call your post a useless waste of space is grossly unfair to useless wastes of space.

Go back to bed, have another bong, watch more Jerry, eat some more 2 minute noodles and give us all a break!
Last edited by st paddy on Tue 15 Apr 2008 1:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

krabb wrote:
To go back to your orignal post and to keep on topic..

You're stating the bloody obvious.

Of course if we could go back to that moment in time when we had a choice of the three...we would've picked Judd...who wouldnt?

Its a bleeding tragedy whats happened to ball..i hope he improves but chances are he wont.

Thats what recruiting's all about...you pick a player for all the qualities you know he has.. and hope he can become all you know he could be.

Make no mistake about it....most recruiters had them all lineball...it was the most discussed subject around at the time....'which one would you pick?'

Judd's shoulders put a cloud over his head..if it hadnt been for that...i know we would've probably gone with him...sometimes you win and sometimes you dont...thats football.
Of course you're correct, I know :wink:

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

didn't someone post an article by Bevo stating they expected to draft Judd at no.5 as st kilda believed that WCE were going for someone else?

Also st kilda's no.1 choice and WCE no.1 choice was hodge.

it was pretty much stated at the time all three clubs had hodge and ball as 1 and 2 as stated policy.

perhaps it was cloak and daggers by WCE?

who knows.

also judd has a premiership medal and a brownlow, but he certainly isn't the player he was 18 months ago, then again ball isn't the player he was 24 months ago.

i think wringing of wrists and waving angry fists at bygone coaches and drafters is a joke.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

st paddy wrote:
You can mention the war all u like but it raises the question, amongst most anyway, as to WHY you'd even bother?

Why indeed does a grown man (supposedly) at 11:03am on a tuesday morning have nothing better to do with his time but to stir up ill feeling with a pointless thread about another mans worth?

Particularly when that same man achievements (although, I'm guessing, is less than half the posters age) far outweigh anything that the poster has (or will) ever achieve in his life.

I can assure u barks4eva that the bulk of respondees to this post have done so either whilst taking a break from school or work and that, unlike you, this is not the sum of their days output.

To call your post a useless waste of space is grossly unfair to useless wastes of space.

Go back to bed, have another bong, watch more Jerry, eat some more 2 minute noodles and give us all a break!

MODS, I take it this will get a warning, correct?

Please let me know, if this is deemed to be acceptable.

Assume all you like, but once again you are wrong!

st paddy
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:
st paddy wrote:

MODS, I take it this will get a warning, correct?

Please let me know, if this is deemed to be acceptable.

Assume all you like, but once again you are wrong!
Mate if you think its fine to take annonymous pot shots at the worth of one of our hardest players then what does that say about you?

You constantly bleat on about GT and his ego yet all u ever seem to do is post repetitive rubbish beating ur own drum with the same old "look at me, look at me" beat.

My post was not abusive in any way, shape or form - I am simply pointing out the paradox of someone like urself having a sly go at someone the ilk of Luke Ball.

I called your post a waste of space because that is exactly what it is.

The fact that you see nothing wrong with it speaks volumes about the kind of perso than you are.
Last edited by st paddy on Tue 15 Apr 2008 1:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

krabb
Club Player

st paddy wrote:
barks4eva wrote:

2 Hodge

3 Ball
More like

1 Judd
2 Hodge

3 Ball
pawn brokers

parking inspectors

snakes

blow flies

john howard

andrew bolt

daylight

barry hall

more daylight

Barks4eva.
Pathetic waste of space.

Some people enjoy having a discussion mate about many things...dont like it...dont read it.

Any wonder most people with a brain cant be bothered posting here anymore.

I noticed there was a mod online that did nothing..apparently its acceptable...and ive seen some poor buggers in here get pulled over the coals for less...go figure.

What are the rules in here again?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

yep.....there were 5 top class picks...polak and sampi were the other two...it was thought that the wa clubs would go after them...leaving two of hodge ball and judd for us....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Wow, explosive thread.

Don't know anything about Raph Clarke's recruitment.

Do know about the draft in 2001 though when Ball & Judd & Hodge were up for it. Grant Thomas did not make the call on his own. Brian Waldron was actually gung ho for Luke Ball and had dismissed Judd due to his shoulders.

I know. I was at the table. Decision went BW first, JB second, GT third.

Oh and I also remember RB making his Judd comments a few months before that draft.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Chris Judd was selected All Australian in 2004. Ball was close, but not Hodge.

Both Luke Ball and Luke Hodge were selected in 2005.

They have different qualities. Certainly Chris Judd matured earlier than the other two, playing 22 games in his first year with Hodge playing 15 and Luke Ball none (because of OP).

Judd was considered the superior player by everyone in the year prior to the Draft but had two ops on his shoulders which made some wary.

Luke Ball was never as fast as Judd but was better "in and under". He was skilled on both sides, unlike Hodge.

I hope all three can recover from injury and show us their skills over the next decade.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Basically, it goes like this.....

Any bad recruiting decision was handled by GT alone, and he overruled everyone in a fit of egomaniacal rage.

Any good recruiting decision, was done by either Waldron or Beveridge, or Rod Butterss.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
Sobraz wrote: From my knowledge of Judd and Butters around the 2000/2001 time, I wouldnt be surpirsed if Barks' original point is right on the money...
It is!

Butterss coached Judd as a 14yo and indicated to the football department that it was his preference that this selection be used on Judd and put forward a case for it.

However it was not Butterss decision as President, he was listened to but ignored and Thomas decided, Ball was the player he preferred.

They are just the facts, this is known publically, it was even reported in the press at the time.

So even though Butterss may have said as a joke we should have taken Judd because I coached him you are now saying we should have listened to him because he is president. You have never said what role JB had in this because you know he wanted Hodge first then Ball and Judd but that doesnt work with your hatred of GT.

st paddy
Club Player

krabb wrote:
st paddy wrote:
barks4eva wrote:

2 Hodge

3 Ball
More like

1 Judd
2 Hodge

3 Ball
pawn brokers

parking inspectors

snakes

blow flies

john howard

andrew bolt

daylight

barry hall

more daylight

Barks4eva.
Pathetic waste of space.

Some people enjoy having a discussion mate about many things...dont like it...dont read it.

Any wonder most people with a brain cant be bothered posting here anymore.

I noticed there was a mod online that did nothing..apparently its acceptable...and ive seen some poor buggers in here get pulled over the coals for less...go figure.

What are the rules in here again?
great point.

next time I wont read it if i dont like it...

Hang on...how will i know if I dont like it without reading it?

paint it up as discussion if that suits u pal but this aint nothing but the same guy pushing his same old agenda.

what discussion is it meant to provoke?

"Oh yeah that's right Barks4eva - GT was no good - good call"

Brks4eva's contant whinging, in all it various forms and disguises, about GT aint discussion in any shape - it is spamming pure and smple.

whats the rules on spamming BTW?

st paddy
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
It is!

So even though Butterss may have said as a joke we should have taken Judd because I coached him you are now saying we should have listened to him because he is president. You have never said what role JB had in this because you know he wanted Hodge first then Ball and Judd but that doesnt work with your hatred of GT.
we should have listened to him about the light show at telstra dome too.

what an innovator!