Team vs Tigers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ralph-SmithDaMan
Club Player

ralphysaints35 wrote:we have to find the right formula for the collingwood game

at the moment collingwood will kill us,

INS
Schneider,Gardiner,Gehrig,Mcevoy,allen

OUT
Blake,Dempster,Gram,Rix,Birss

Gram needs to be dropped to regain some form,

Dempster, Dont know what ross see's in him he is good But maybe out of form.

Rix....well that explains it Bring in Mcevoy he will do a better job.! give the kid a chance he doesnt have much ruck against him again Tigers, see what he can do.

Blake, well i am a bit iffy about him, do we drop him or keep him there, Hmm dont know
Gram was one of the best for us last night. You might want to try watching the game.

Play Dal Santo on a half forward flank for 3 Q's to regain some confidence.

OUT: Rix, L.Fisher, Milne
IN: M. Gardiner (if fit, otherwise give McIvoy a run), Gehrig, Allen

Shaun Ralph-Smith... the forgotten Saint. What a Champion!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

from what i can see if we do happen to scrape into the finals we'll go straight out unless we show some daring at the selection table and with the game plan and structure.

give riewoldt a run on the wing this week against richmond. put blake on richo and give roo the other wing.

m. gardiner and mcevoy to ruck.

kosi to chf (for the entire match). dal santo to hff (for the entire match). give armitage the other flank.

gehrig to ff and allen and milne in the pockets.

i've heard all the arguments about "forward pressure" etc, but to me a forward's primary function is to get it and kick a goal ... and we know gehrig and milne can do that.

the other thing i'd like to see is our forwards actually playing in the forward line, rather than traipsing all over telstra dome/aami stadium worrying about what their opponent is doing.

i've had enough of the flooding bullsh*t and people trying to elevate football into some sort of a tactical science.

it is a simple game. you get it and kick a goal or move it quickly to a teammate in a better position than you. if they've got it then get it back. tackle and harass.

to me we're still too focussed on what our opponents are doing and this negative and defensive mindset is permeating the entire club.

we looked like we went into yesterday's match trying to limit the damage rather than trying to win a game of football.

for heaven's sake, try a few things before the season disappears into a sea of mediocrity. take some risks.

i'll ask you again, what do we have to lose? it's not as if a top two spot is at stake

groupie1
Club Player

blake

The reasons people don't like j Blake are to do with his disposal is poor, his decision-making league-worst, he's no physical presence in the ruck, and while he can do a reasonable stopping job on a midfielder, he'll never demolish a player like Baker does.
He's, very simply, not good enough.

L Fisher is also not good enough - skills ok, but he lacks packs.

Birss, well, at least he has some mongrel.
Blake, L Fisher, Dempster, C Gardiner, probably Birss too, Fiora, and for me, S Milne, all come into a category of not really being good enough to win us the tough games.

I think when you do things like keep Maguire in, keep Gram in, keep Raph Clarke, for example, in, you show faith in the guys you can imagine lining up on Grand Final day.

The Ross Lyon realism hasn't given us much hope at all this year. Plus, it's a watered down realism, 'cause he never actually weilds the ax. This team reminds me of the Malthouse Eagles when he took over, the first day in which he asked them about the last game they'd player, individually, how they did. EVERYONE on the team said 'I more or less beat my opponent, so I did OK.' They lost by 100 points.
The point is sometimes you go with class over form, and over function. Blake and Fisher are functional players, they'll always 'do ok' against their opponent, but will never win us a game.
Sydney had 22 functional players and won a flag, but that was because of their level of fitness more than anything else. They had 22 functional, fast, and very fit players. Sorry, 21 and Adam Goodes.
We have a team where the stars are out of form, overworked, or asked to play themselves down, and a bottom half of not particularly good functional players.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Ralph-SmithDaMan
Club Player

Well said. Although I do disagree about C. gardiner. I believe he is good enough. Time will tell...

Shaun Ralph-Smith... the forgotten Saint. What a Champion!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
SaintBot wrote:
Teflon wrote:sad thing is well belt the tigers and paper over the holes....
I'm glad your confident.
we are to Richmond what Port are to us...

we will win comfortably and whoever we play a week later if they are remotely any good will be a show against us cause we'll be "superstars" again...

Dal for BOG - watch this space.

The Tiges are back in good form at present.

Our players need to play 4 quarters..or they will lose.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BakesFan
SS Life Member

Lennon wrote:
BakesFan wrote:
I miss...... B.Voss, A.Hamill, H.Black, J.Peckett, A. Jones, A. Thompson, and even B.Guerra.
Eh? :shock:

;)
Fixed! Thanks, Lennon. :oops:

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Re: blake

groupie1 wrote:The reasons people don't like j Blake are to do with his disposal is poor, his decision-making league-worst, he's no physical presence in the ruck, and while he can do a reasonable stopping job on a midfielder, he'll never demolish a player like Baker does.
He's, very simply, not good enough.

L Fisher is also not good enough - skills ok, but he lacks packs.

Birss, well, at least he has some mongrel.
Blake, L Fisher, Dempster, C Gardiner, probably Birss too, Fiora, and for me, S Milne, all come into a category of not really being good enough to win us the tough games.

I think when you do things like keep Maguire in, keep Gram in, keep Raph Clarke, for example, in, you show faith in the guys you can imagine lining up on Grand Final day.

The point is sometimes you go with class over form, and over function. Blake and Fisher are functional players, they'll always 'do ok' against their opponent, but will never win us a game.
Sydney had 22 functional players and won a flag, but that was because of their level of fitness more than anything else. They had 22 functional, fast, and very fit players. Sorry, 21 and Adam Goodes.
We have a team where the stars are out of form, overworked, or asked to play themselves down, and a bottom half of not particularly good functional players.
so we'll line up with a team of 12 player this week, get real, you need the functional players like blake doing their job to free up the brilliant players.

and I think you will find that in 05 swans had a few more than just one good player

have you seen kirk, o'keefe, mickey o, tadgh etc play, or do you just go on what the papers say

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Has Raph Clarke served his pennence yet? I see he was best for Casey this week and pretty good last week, all with a trip home to Darwin in between if what we read is correct !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Out Rix, dempster
In gardiner Schneider

No one played wellin the secords who deserves to go up so we cannot make changes for players who sre not playing well in a lower competition

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Out Rix, dempster
In gardiner Schneider

No one played wellin the secords who deserves to go up so we cannot make changes for players who sre not playing well in a lower competition
that's a bit unfair on allen. he didn't get a chance to press his claims.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

In gardiner Schneider

id also bring in gehrig

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:
In gardiner Schneider

id also bring in gehrig
How did he go on the weekend. I was away.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Some may want to think about whose Birr's opponent was....and what that player does against many teams...... :idea:
yes.....and?
keep going.....
tell everyone who his opponent was.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:
In gardiner Schneider

id also bring in gehrig
How did he go on the weekend. I was away.
got 1 point....

how was i forward line last night..... cant hurt give gehrig a go against richmonds relativly poor defense

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

In gardiner Schneider

Am I wrong to think that Dempster did a fair job on Shaun Burgoyne once he was moved onto him. Others were worse than him.

mick13
Club Player

Bring Gehrig in, just for his annual 5 goal bag against Richmond, then drop him the week after.

groupie1
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:from what i can see if we do happen to scrape into the finals we'll go straight out unless we show some daring at the selection table and with the game plan and structure.

give riewoldt a run on the wing this week against richmond. put blake on richo and give roo the other wing.

m. gardiner and mcevoy to ruck.

kosi to chf (for the entire match). dal santo to hff (for the entire match). give armitage the other flank.

gehrig to ff and allen and milne in the pockets.

i've heard all the arguments about "forward pressure" etc, but to me a forward's primary function is to get it and kick a goal ... and we know gehrig and milne can do that.

the other thing i'd like to see is our forwards actually playing in the forward line, rather than traipsing all over telstra dome/aami stadium worrying about what their opponent is doing.

i've had enough of the flooding bullsh*t and people trying to elevate football into some sort of a tactical science.

it is a simple game. you get it and kick a goal or move it quickly to a teammate in a better position than you. if they've got it then get it back. tackle and harass.

to me we're still too focussed on what our opponents are doing and this negative and defensive mindset is permeating the entire club.

we looked like we went into yesterday's match trying to limit the damage rather than trying to win a game of football.

for heaven's sake, try a few things before the season disappears into a sea of mediocrity. take some risks.

i'll ask you again, what do we have to lose? it's not as if a top two spot is at stake

i like your point

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team vs Tigers

One Eyed Saint wrote:B. Geary, Max, S Fisher
HB. BJ, Goose, Gram
C. Joey, Armo, Dal
HF. Schneids, Roo, Charlie G
F. Milne, Kosi, Allen
Ruck. Gardi, Lenny, Bally
IC - McEvoy, X, Banger, Bakes

In - McEvoy, Geary, Schneider, Gardi, Allen
Out - Rix, Birss, Blake, Dempster, L Fisher

With the exception of maybe L Fisher, all of the outs should be out for a LONG while.

The Ins either are good players or by playing them will develop them into good players. We can't keep playing our good kids in the 2's

Other AFL teams play their kids, why don't we?
I love it.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:sad thing is well belt the tigers and paper over the holes...

I wish we were playing Hawks this week - put some acid on this team instead of an honourable "40 odd" point win againstg a side strugglineg aka Essendon.
Richmond will beat us this week.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
matrix
Saintsational Legend

if the tigers beat us this week......
im not even going to contemplate what i will do.... i might make the 6 oclock news

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

I look forward to seeing FG running around the HBF again.

Milne picking up touches in the goal square.

our defencive pressure is good, especially given for vast swathes of the game all 18 players are within 5 metres of our defensive 50.

its interesting in a team that boasts, FG, Reiwoldt, milne, Kosi, schneider amongst others, richmond has scored more goals than us.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:I look forward to seeing FG running around the HBF again.

our defencive pressure is good, especially given for vast swathes of the game all 18 players are within 5 metres of our defensive 50.

its interesting in a team that boasts, FG, Reiwoldt, milne, Kosi, schneider amongst others, richmond has scored more goals than us.
yeah, what's wrong with having your forwards in the forward line?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:I look forward to seeing FG running around the HBF again.

yeah, what's wrong with having your forwards in the forward line?
I thought you wanted Roo on the wing??? :wink:

However having said that if there was one game you would do it....then this may be the one as FG is more likelyto have success against the Tigers than most teams as they do not have good options for FB.

FG could come in and kick 7...or he could come in and kick1.1 and have his opponebnt give countless runs down like the ground.
And that is the core of the problem at present....we have far too many players with whom you have no idea what you will get on match day.

However having said that they are full of pace and run at present...and too many slow talls in our forward line will most likely give the Tigers a lot of easy rebounds.

I think we are all hoping that Gardiner and Scheider will be declared fit to play as the team sorely needs what both of them can offer.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
starsign
Club Player

yesterday i watche Richo take a few pretty much uncontested marks on the wing, next minute double teming with ther fb spoiling in the hawks g-square , then taking anothe mark on the wing before making and goaling r
from their g-square
all in the space of 10 miuted or so it seemed!
I immediately thought if he can play like that all match, Roo could!
anyway he'll be at it again against us I bet, so who will match up?

they will clean us up if both teams play to the same intensity this week

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:yesterday i watche Richo take a few pretty much uncontested marks on the wing, next minute double teming with ther fb spoiling in the hawks g-square , then taking anothe mark on the wing before making and goaling r
from their g-square
all in the space of 10 miuted or so it seemed!
I immediately thought if he can play like that all match, Roo could!
anyway he'll be at it again against us I bet, so who will match up?
richo's had a new lease of life at 32 by being released from the constraints of playing forward.

he's reinvented himselrf as a tall winger and both he and richmond are reaping the benefits.

i agree that if richo can do it, then riewoldt can do it better.

but i wouldn't play riewoldt in a defensive role on richo. put blake on richo and let riewoldt dominate the other wing.