Wake up call required (play 3 debutants)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Buckets
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:You cant compare the hawthorn game last year..we only had 23 fit players on our list...Phil Raymond missed out and EVERYONE else played...we HAD to play Armo, Howard and Sweeney..there was no option bar run out with 19 blokes.

McEvoy was named an emergency last week so he's in the mix...and he's the future of the CLub. Michael Rix most certainly is not. 4 possessions and 11 hitouts..thats not a lot to achieve in your first game I dont think...for a Top 10 pick. Do it and he's outperformed Rix from last week. No Lade'Brogan to contend with...just Troy Simmonds and the Pattison kid...yep..lets see what he's got I reckon

Allen? Im tempted. The kids got a lovely raking kick and is mobile. Let Roo roam up the ground, play Kosi deep and let Charlie and Allen rotate off the bench at HF. Its not our forward structure that the prohlem imho, its the fact we take 20 mins to get it in there and when we do we've already sent an SMS to the opposition coach "by the way we are gonna kick it to Roo no matter what'. Oh and some support from the midfield in providing forward pressure would be good..not having them beetle backwards at 100kph as soon as a Richmond defender touches it. God, who knows, you might even cause a turnover and..maybe..GET A GOAL FROM IT!!!!!!!!! ..Theres a blast from the past lol

Steven..nah..let him do school. I agree it would be a game for games sake. His time will come.
The most sensible post on this thread!
McEvoy deserves a go esp. if Gards doesn't come up! Rix does not have any upside what so ever. Agree about Allen could be a possibility but leave Steven till next year!
Why is it that whenever we ask for the chance to debut a new player we get hammered from pillar to post saying if we do that we are as good as dead hell i don't see this reaction from teams like Collingwood, Bulldogs, Brisbane, North and Essendon to name a few, hell the kids they play although not high draft picks seem to do well!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
SB10
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:The panic and hysterics is really quite funny, if a little sad.

Worst thread of the year.
Love the way you post the same thing all day long Joffa......"worst thread of the year"..............blah...blah....blah

Simple fact is we need to blood some new players. If you're happy with the same players making the same mistakes week after week then fine. It's just an opinion, and one that a few others seem open to discussing.

It seems other clubs (well above us on the ladder mind you) are willing to blood new players and try and improve deficiencies in their 22.

Not us though, we just turn over the same 5-6 players time and time again in the hope that all of a sudden they'll change their ways and miraculously start hitting targets and stop turning the ball over.

No mad hysteria here Joffa, just a willingness to support a team with the balls to try new things every now and again.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:You cant compare the hawthorn game last year..we only had 23 fit players on our list...Phil Raymond missed out and EVERYONE else played...we HAD to play Armo, Howard and Sweeney..there was no option bar run out with 19 blokes.

McEvoy was named an emergency last week so he's in the mix...and he's the future of the CLub. Michael Rix most certainly is not. 4 possessions and 11 hitouts..thats not a lot to achieve in your first game I dont think...for a Top 10 pick. Do it and he's outperformed Rix from last week. No Lade'Brogan to contend with...just Troy Simmonds and the Pattison kid...yep..lets see what he's got I reckon

Allen? Im tempted. The kids got a lovely raking kick and is mobile. Let Roo roam up the ground, play Kosi deep and let Charlie and Allen rotate off the bench at HF. Its not our forward structure that the prohlem imho, its the fact we take 20 mins to get it in there and when we do we've already sent an SMS to the opposition coach "by the way we are gonna kick it to Roo no matter what'. Oh and some support from the midfield in providing forward pressure would be good..not having them beetle backwards at 100kph as soon as a Richmond defender touches it. God, who knows, you might even cause a turnover and..maybe..GET A GOAL FROM IT!!!!!!!!! ..Theres a blast from the past lol

Steven..nah..let him do school. I agree it would be a game for games sake. His time will come.
Essentially agree...

Allen is alot more mobile than GTrain and looks to be a player, and so will be worth another look at some stage this year.....not sure if it will be this week though.

With Roo....last I heard he still had tendonitis of the knee....so I am not sure why people wanting up the ground where he would have to ru 100% of the the time.

McEvoy... If Gardi fit bring him back.....if he is not then Mceoy may be wortha run. Simmonds is not as mean as Lade and Brogan...and Simmonds does not have the back up of ade or Brogan.

However from what I saw in the intraclub McEvy was along way short of good ruckwork..so i hope that he has improved.

Steven.....no.....Geary, Jones are both better options.

Of the three...Allen is the most ready.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Solar
Saintsational Legend

allen has been in good form lately, knows where and when to lead and has looked alright at senior level during the NAB cup. Has looked more dangerous then charlie and G combined for casey.

As I have mentioned, it's a good game to give the bigmac one game to give him a taste for it, if he takes the bull by the horns he might push a returning king or gardiner out of a spot, otherwise it's a good education process. Richmond is not port, their rucks are competative at best and their midfield are hard workers. We can get away with playing a kid and kosi in the ruck.

Two youngsters with reasonable form and spots there for them. Not sure why the likes of plugger66 love to shoot people down if they have not watched every second of the casey players.......

Of the others,

I think geary needs to work harder to push back up, will hopefully get back to the huge numbers of late last year and push back into the seniors. Eddy is getting good experience playing on the best VFL midfielders (got JJ a couple of weeks ago). Good learning experience. Stevens is a very clever, tough onballer who has such a big upside. Got a few more tricks the mini had when drafted and should push for selection '09.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

If the players are not ready blooding them will most likely result in a negative experience that can affect their confidence and ultimately their development.

They need to demonstrate enough in the 2s to suggest they could handle the rough and tumble of elite football.

Some of them are probably close (Allen, McEvoy) from some reports but giving them a taste is only sensible if they are in a position to savour it.