"Courage Under Fire" - The Age 26/0608

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JeffDunne

As a parent of a child who has Epilepsy, I hope more than ever Raph can make it at the highest level.

Kids with conditions like Epilepsy need to see others making it at the highest level and this news is rather timely for my son. Others have revently put doubts in his mind whether he can continue to play Aussie Rules. Seeing someone like Raph playing at the highest level would do his belief a world of good.

You can cite examples of people that have made it until you're blue in the face, but kids need someone they know. Someone they can relate to. When I was discussing this news with him this morning his first question was 'will we see him this week'. He's already a fan of the Clarke borthers.

As for Raph, there are professional sports people he can seek out if he needs advice on dealing with it. A couple I know of from the NFL might be a good start. Samari Rolle from the Baltimore Ravens was diagnosed with Epilepsy a year or so ago and he's continued to play. Alan Faneca had it when he was a kid and played through college and the pros. I'm sure there's others closer to home that will probably even seek him out.

All the best Raph.

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

Whilst not a 'Raph-Hater'... as hate is a wasted emotion.... i will put my hand up and acknowledge that I have been highly critical of Raph in the past....

Lesson learned for me..... we really don't know much about these guys off the field, and extenuating circumstances may often exist.

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:As a parent of a child who has Epilepsy, I hope more than ever Raph can make it at the highest level.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
You can cite examples of people that have made it until you're blue in the face, but kids need someone they know. Someone they can relate to. When I was discussing this news with him this morning his first question was 'will we see him this week'. He's already a fan of the Clarke borthers.

As for Raph, there are professional sports people he can seek out if he needs advice on dealing with it. A couple I know of from the NFL might be a good start. Samari Rolle from the Baltimore Ravens was diagnosed with Epilepsy a year or so ago and he's continued to play. Alan Faneca had it when he was a kid and played through college and the pros. I'm sure there's others closer to home that will probably even seek him out.

All the best Raph.
Tony Greig the cricketer is also a long term epileptic

and to get out there and support Raph he should be on the field Sunday
rd12 Sunday, Jun 29 Casey Scorpions vs Bendigo Bombers Casey Fields Home 2:00 PM

for those not going to Qld.
Last edited by saintbrat on Thu 26 Jun 2008 10:49am, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

jonty rhodes is another one who is an epileptic.

let me add I think knowing tony greig is a epileptic doesn't distract from the fact he is still a jerk :lol:

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Buckets
SS Life Member

It goes to show that AFL players are just like everyone else and have problems to deal with. Best wishes to the Clarke boys hope they spend as much time with their father as they can and i sincerely hope to see Raph out in Saints colours very soon tearing it up!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
JeffDunne

saintbrat wrote: Tony Greig the cricketer is also a long term epileptic
He's 12. Old people like Tony aren't really someone he can relate to.

It's easy to find examples - it's hard to find people that help spark their belief.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:As a parent of a child who has Epilepsy, I hope more than ever Raph can make it at the highest level.

Kids with conditions like Epilepsy need to see others making it at the highest level and this news is rather timely for my son. Others have revently put doubts in his mind whether he can continue to play Aussie Rules. Seeing someone like Raph playing at the highest level would do his belief a world of good.

All the best Raph.
well said. hope someone at the club passes this on

MadSaintFan
Club Player

I'll own up to being one of the posters on here who have been very vocal about Raphs poor performances. Numerous times I've claimed that from what I've seen he just isnt an AFL standard footballer.

Perhaps in this case its what I 'havent' seen which is important. The diagnosis of epilepsy and the serious condition of his father. From time to time I think we just assume that for an AFL footballer life must be rosey. Im guilty of that in this case.

Goodluck Raph and X. Hopefully you can both get your bodys right and play some good footy in the near future. They have a tough couple of months ahead from the sounds of it.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

I've been critical of Raph in the past and in my opinion the criticism has been warranted.
I feel sorry for his personal circumstances and wish him every strength in dealing with the cards he's been dealt. It's obviouslsy having an effect on his life on and off the field.
However, we're in the business of winning premierships first and foremost. And if a player is unable to deliver, then he's not serving that purpose.
I agree that both Clarke brothers are quality people. No questions there.
But as footballers they've failed to live up to their promise. And as sorry as I am for their personal trials, I want a flag, not just a warm fuzzy feeling because we're doing all we can to support these guys through their personal trials.
The criticism that they've failed to deliver on their promise is warranted and I'd still have them both on the table at trade time.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: "Courage Under Fire" - The Age 26/0608

n1ck wrote:[
For Clarke has become a favourite scapegoat for the St Kilda faithful, and the target of much invective and ridicule on the internet and airwaves.

Complete article at:
http://www.realfooty.com.au/articles/20 ... ntentSwap2

AND THAT MEANS YOU...OR AT LEAST SOME OF YOU.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Always liked Raph, still believe he has the ability to go to a much higher level and personally I think he will.

I remember people bagging Lenny Hayes in his second and third seasons, too soft, too this, too that................FAIR DINKUM, always stuck up for Lenny, knew he was the real deal all along, seriously people did bag him out, I know it sounds strange now, but it didn't stop the nonsense from the know nothing, numbnuts and nuffies,

Brendan Goddard copped it from the flogs, obviously Goddard was going to be a great player, just needed time, also was not given a position previously which IMHO slowed his progress, but it was also obvious that he would be a star, yet it didn't stop the gobbledegook from the gaggle of gimps, gumps, goofballs and goat riders,

I have always believed in Raph and will continue to do so, even now I get bagged for it by a friend of mine, but then he thought Damien Monkhurst coming to our club was a good thing, so go figure,

personally I'd like to see Raph tried in other positions,

obviously there is a huge upside with Raph if he gets it together and IMHO he has the ability to do just that.

Absolute best wishes to Raph, X and their family at this difficult time, with his father's situation.

Go Raph, you will be a gun and the dingbats will once again be proven to be just that, buffoons, bong bandits and bone monkeys from the babble rabble.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.