time for draft talk

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Oracale
Club Player

Sorry to be a post whore (3rd in a row!!)

But for those who want a quality KPP - As Hurley will more than likely be gone by Pick #4/#5 that leaves the much talked about Jack Watts and Jackson Trengrove.

Both tall and athletic, mobile for 194cm +. Watts is more a lead up from deep in the square FF, where he can use his pace off the mark to get a few meters on his defender. Is willing to impose himself physically and crash the pack if need be too. Good on the ground for somebody his height too (maybe the basketball background helps here too?).

Trengove is gutsy and brave and would be bit of a wall across CHB (e.g. will back into a contest and expect contact but still pluck the mark (or free kick). Probably the best contested mark in the draft pool.

Hope that helps give u breif understanding of what they offer.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

[quote="The Oracale"]I'm going to do a Hutchy here and break some news:

Robert Warnock's management met with Richmond today at Cafe Greco's on Chapel st.

While I'm at it:

Michael Hurley will not slide past #5 (if he even gets that far!) - He is by far the best KPP in this draft pool - with the abillity to play FB/CHB/CHF/FF, is a mad Saints fan though as previously mentioned.

and finally ... St Kilda is very keen on both Jack Ziebell and Tom Swift.[/quote]

Whats known bout these 2 if true?

“Yeah….nah””
The Oracale
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
The Oracale wrote:I'm going to do a Hutchy here and break some news:

Robert Warnock's management met with Richmond today at Cafe Greco's on Chapel st.

While I'm at it:

Michael Hurley will not slide past #5 (if he even gets that far!) - He is by far the best KPP in this draft pool - with the abillity to play FB/CHB/CHF/FF, is a mad Saints fan though as previously mentioned.

and finally ... St Kilda is very keen on both Jack Ziebell and Tom Swift.[/quote]

Whats known bout these 2 if true?
Hard to know if it's true or not - this far away from Draft Day.

Not sure on Tom. I missed him in PSA in 2006 but saw him in a few club games that year playing for Swanbourne. Others stood out more at Swanbourne particularly the WA U18s' vice-captain, Matt de Boer, who IMO is a far more complete package than D Rich (who is probably superior only in kicking - but will go top 3). His major assett wouild be his hard running and inabillity to be tackled.

Tom Swift moved OK (in 2006) but seemed to be playing tired which was not surprising as that would have mostly been after the 16s Nationals. Lost 2007 completely but the latest setback is unrelated to that. However, 2 serious knee injuries while not out of U18s will cause pause for thought amongst more than a few recruiters.

I really like Ziebell, goes to Caulfield Grammar. All Australian, Murray Bushrangers TAC Cup side and on a full football scholarship. Was the youngest player ever to debut in a senior match in the powerfull Ovens & Murray League when he played for the Wodonga Bulldogs FC at just 15 years of age :shock:

Very exciting player to watch and would hate to play against him. He shows great class toughness and leadership possesses a prolific kick thats very accurate and a very strong mark, he's tough inside though he isn't really quick but reads the ball so well in the air. He will be a very strong player in years to come very versatile and will get people to come to the footy he's just great to watch. He's bottom age this year so will be interesting where he will go a lot of the scouts love him for his toughness.

Hope this helps. :!:

spiral2
Club Player

thanks for the posts Oracle, good reading
any other players we might be interested in with our first pick?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

wouldn't mind hearing more about de boer, I remember reading stuff about this kid late last year as very classy midfielder.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
The Oracale
Club Player

Matt De Boer is fairly impressive medium-sized midfielder who tends to run all day long. De Boer is known within the recruiting circles (particuarly within WA) for not only his his strong attack on the ball and run - but for his last minute decision to not nominate for last years draft where many thought he'd be a top 20 selection and instead commence his first year of university.

He again caught the eye of selectors this year when during the champs he ended up with 69 disposals in total (averaging 23 per match) which ranked him No.1. He has also taken 20 (average of 6.9) marks, ranking him first in the competition along with 17 inside 50s, which was also number one in the competition.

However, you tend to find a few keen draft watchers (colin wiseby and Adrian Dodoro to name a few) who think that he is overated and that the hype associated with him is unwarranted - such as last year when some recruiters/draft watchers considered him to be a top #10 selection - and as such assumed this year with an even deeper talent pool, would still remain a top 10 selection whereas others felt that he wasn't anywhere near one in 2007 - and unless he had a breakout year/championships (ala Rhyce Palmer) which he has had !! - he wouldn't warrant a top #10 selection, each to their own I guess. .

Solar
Saintsational Legend

The Oracale wrote:Matt De Boer is fairly impressive medium-sized midfielder who tends to run all day long. De Boer is known within the recruiting circles (particuarly within WA) for not only his his strong attack on the ball and run - but for his last minute decision to not nominate for last years draft where many thought he'd be a top 20 selection and instead commence his first year of university.

He again caught the eye of selectors this year when during the champs he ended up with 69 disposals in total (averaging 23 per match) which ranked him No.1. He has also taken 20 (average of 6.9) marks, ranking him first in the competition along with 17 inside 50s, which was also number one in the competition.

However, you tend to find a few keen draft watchers (colin wiseby and Adrian Dodoro to name a few) who think that he is overated and that the hype associated with him is unwarranted - such as last year when some recruiters/draft watchers considered him to be a top #10 selection - and as such assumed this year with an even deeper talent pool, would still remain a top 10 selection whereas others felt that he wasn't anywhere near one in 2007 - and unless he had a breakout year/championships (ala Rhyce Palmer) which he has had !! - he wouldn't warrant a top #10 selection, each to their own I guess. .
cheers thanks for that :)

FQF
In richo I trust

The Oracale
Club Player

spiral2 wrote:thanks for the posts Oracle, good reading
any other players we might be interested in with our first pick?
My pleasure mate.

I'm not a St. Kilda supporter (and I'm not a troll!) but I'd suggest St Kilda would be happy with any of whats considered to be this years 'top shelf' crop come their first pick (probably around #7/#8/#9)

It's a deep pool of talent this year - akin to that of "The Super Draft" 2006 and therefore any selection of the below mentioned players have the makings and means to turn out to be VERY GOOD players at the very least (given what they've shown so far) at AFL leve.

I dare suggest that the Saints will be taking a 'Best Available' Policy like most other clubs come their first selection in this years draft, regardless of pressing needs. Later on (2nd round onwards) I think the Saints will be prioritising on a needs basis so I think they'll be after a quick goalkicking midfielder and some tall athletic defenders.

The 'top shelf' talent that I made mention of earlier are:

Naitanui
Hurley
Walters
Rich
Watts
Trengrove
Cornelius (although personally, I don't rate him).
Suban
Yarran
Sidebottom
McKernan
Swift
Ziebell
Cordy (most likely F/S to the Bulldogs).

But I guess in summing up, as an answer to your question - Draft Day throws up many suprises and it's a 16 player game of poker where clubs try to bluff eachother! I couldn't tell you for certain (this far away from November 26) who the Saints would be super keen on.

Hope that helps.

spiral2
Club Player

thanks Oracle, you're the best troll we've had on here for ages :wink:
nice to have some saints related summaries on here, rather than have to trawl though page after page on BF.
good to hear it's a shaping up like a good draft, it's always an exciting time of year.
please feel free to post up any info that you think us saints followers might be interested. onya

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Oracle, is Walters Stephen or Michael, and is he indigenous?

The Oracale
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Oracle, is Walters Stephen or Michael, and is he indigenous?
Hello,

It's Michael Walters and yes he is indigenous :!:

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Thanks ''The Oracale''

I really like the look of Micheal Hurley. He is a KP Defender who is around 192cm & 92kg's and looks like the type of player we need.

Here is a video of him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kekjQCcEyoQ

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Here are some more Youtube Video's of the top draft prospects:

Nicholas Naitanui – 197cm, 95kg - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8zLvxkeqxI&feature=user

Daniel Rich – 183cm, 83kg - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OxmmVC8woY&feature=user

Jack Watts – 194cm, 85kg - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGzqCIRgJLw&feature=user

Steele Sidebottom – 182cm, 79kg - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73al5pJfEbw&feature=user

Jack Ziebell – 188cm, 84kg - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGPHFBBp9VE&feature=user

Christopher Yarran – 180cm, 84kg - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOQutR7QPy0&feature=user

Nick Heyne – 187cm, 79kg - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAuE9LfwYc0&feature=user

Jordan Roughead – 199cm, 87kg - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc45F8SYSkI&feature=user

Hamish Hartlett – 182cm, 74kg - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObMnBw-QV74&feature=user

Stephen Hill – 182cm, 72kg - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JIF1cOmgqA&feature=user

Shaun McKernan – 196cm, 95kg - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAP2oa9IDhQ&feature=user

Neville Jetta – 178cm, 75kg - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j8NhG-O2pM&feature=user

Jake Cox – 184cm, 71kg - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC931fuHexE&feature=user

Scott Reed – 193cm, 80kg - (Collingwood Scholarship Player) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_xa2UxwhhA&feature=user

Ranga Ediriwickrama – 178cm, 79kg - (Geelong Scholarship Player) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om49aChdtow&feature=user

Raven
Club Player

Thanks for the links, LTN16, some good watching there.

Naitanui looks pretty amazing, ferocious in his tackling and his leaps are massive, just like they say.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

LTN16 wrote:Thanks ''The Oracale''

I really like the look of Micheal Hurley. He is a KP Defender who is around 192cm & 92kg's and looks like the type of player we need.

Here is a video of him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kekjQCcEyoQ
It really is an interesting point of time for St.Kilda. We could quite easily still play some good footy & finish as high as sixth or we could lose to the blues (& the confidence built on the Gold Coast) and drop down into the bottom 5.

Should it be the latter & we end up with a Hurley then I don't think we'll be too disappointed in 2-3 years time.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Another player we may be interested in is Jon Thompson a 6'4 CHB 91 KG. Aged 18. Plays CHB in SAFL very agile. Been in the best in the seniors 7 times this season already. Also very quick and can play on smalls as well as talls. His leap is also one of the best in the SAFL. Ready to play next year. And probably will go around picks 7-12.

The other thing is he wants to play in Victoria next season.

The Oracale
Club Player

I must say ... the Championships on the weekend have got me re-thinking the order of my top #20 :?

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

The Oracale wrote:I must say ... the Championships on the weekend have got me re-thinking the order of my top #20 :?
I'd be interested to see the order of your top 20 :)

The Oracale
Club Player

LTN16 wrote:
The Oracale wrote:I must say ... the Championships on the weekend have got me re-thinking the order of my top #20 :?
Hey LTN,

I'll be happy to provide one with a bit of a write up closer to draft time. 8-)

For now, ill just keep re-shuffeling like everyone else.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

go for
fevola, who is out of contract and went for us when he was younger, if he wanted to sign then he would have with carlton already,

and pick up alex silvagni in the draft!

Sobraz
SS Life Member

ralphysaints35 wrote:go for
fevola, who is out of contract and went for us when he was younger, if he wanted to sign then he would have with carlton already,

Alex silvagni has been in the system for a few years. He is not an AFL footballer.. We would be crazy to draft him IMO...

Good VFL player, but so is Podsiadly... Big difference...

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Fev is a great player but his price would almost kill us plus for his age even though he still has a lot of footy left in him his best realisitcally is behind him

as for silvangni i dont see any casey games so i cant really comment but given his age and how long hes been in the VFL system we could pick him in the PSD not the main draft as i doubt many teams would show interest in him

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:

Alex silvagni has been in the system for a few years. He is not an AFL footballer.. We would be crazy to draft him IMO...

Good VFL player, but so is Podsiadly... Big difference...
pods is also not 20 and still developing as a key back....

remind me where egan, rix and others have come from? davey anyone....

can't see it happening ralphy, fev will stay

FQF
In richo I trust

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

NYET!

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

The Oracale wrote:
LTN16 wrote:
Hey LTN,

I'll be happy to provide one with a bit of a write up closer to draft time. 8-)

For now, ill just keep re-shuffeling like everyone else.
Thanks that would be great :wink: