PF2: St Kilda team vs Hawthorn

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

very good team

there could be a chance that gardiner could come in if we want to stretch them but only if it is dry.

Croad and chance have big clouds over their heads.

Ball gives us a real edge in the clinches and this is where we will win it. To beat the hawks you need to not only move it quickly but get alot of it. Their backline has shown holes in it when under pressure.

Wathc out for roughead. I would back max to hold buddy to under 4 goals but the key is gilbert on roughy. Alot goals are also generated from half back against the hawks. We need to float one of gilbert, raph or chips across in front to give the two key backs a cut out.

This is going to be a ripper of a game. Be even at 3/4 time and we will run over them

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Still a bit miffed how McQualter and Eddy keep their spot. I understand the continuity aspect but surely X Clarke and Birss offer a lot more bang-for-buck.

The ideal situation is that we could play 22 youngsters and win - but sadly reality isn't like that.

X would have improved rapidly since making comeback in the QF, whilst Birss has surely earned his spot ahead of the first two.

I don't mind McQualter at all - many will remember I campaigned strongly for him to stay on the list at the end of last year - but I do not feel he can contribute more to the team than Birss right now. And we should be picking a team for right now - because we're eight matches from a premiership.

I am concerned about how many 'defensive' players we're going to have. CJ appears to have been sold into the tagger trade after last week; throw in McQualter and Eddy - and what happens when we need blokes two or three rotations in who can win the ball, not merely create 50-50s?

How badly would we have killed for a third quality tall forward here. This is where we need a player like Tim Boyle, although I wouldn't have been averse to giving Charlie Gardiner a go. He would have taken a lot of heat of Riewoldt and stretched their defence to breaking point. Would have been desperate to prove himself after the first final, too. Could he have provided a reasonable alternative? I don't know if I could find a spot for him, though.

I'm not trying to be negative, as some of the idiots on here might think, I just those few changes could have improved the team by 5%.

When you're talking about a match that could go either way, you need every advantage you can get.

rexy
SS Life Member

Just my spin on it. Think you would find, if you could ask the selection comittee, that minis selection is about running ability, Ie he can run all day, the tag never drops off. He has a big motor. Birss definately gets slower as the game goes on IMO.

Eddie sticks tackles, X does not. If X had full pace and his hammy had held up for even half a season then he would be playing one role or another. Eddy is also just at that height and build where he needs to be matched up in a pack marking situation or on the lead. Eddy will hold 3 or 4 marks inside 50 sooner rather than later and have a breakout game from an offensive point of view, IMO.

Maybe this year?
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

In Eddy's defence, what I like about him is that he looks like a footballer. He runs to reasonable positions, he can do smart things and he thinks before he uses it. I think in time he'll make it. There's a good element to his game. Not entirely dissimilar to Lenny Hayes at the same point in his career (although I always felt Hayes would eventually make it.

In McQualter's defence, I like the fact that he was a first-round pick who showed a lot at junior level. Of course, that's no sure-fire sign, but it must indicate he was highly rated and that he has the capacity to perform. Which is why I was glad we rookied him.

I guess my only gripe is about the here and now. I suppose many could argue why I would excuse Armitage. Fair point - I just feel like he's a bit more capable and he loves the hard stuff. Can kick a goal too, which I like. Plus he looks like he has some sharp improvement in him everytime he plays without holding the team up.

I understand the call on Birss's pace; it's not a bad call as it's not his strong point. But he is the type of player that can come on while Hayes is having a break, and break even with the likes of Hodge-Mitchell-Lewis until our A-graders can get back out there. Eddy and McQualter can't do that.

Agree on X Clarke. I guess there must have been something wrong, but didn't he play for Scorps last week? Just reckon his instinct creates 2-3 goals for us every time he plays and is fit.

Personally, I'd be thinking long and hard about whether Gwilt is really up for it over C Gardiner, but I guess Gardy had his chance in week one and failed. A bit frustrating because Gwilt, while he did well last week, seems to be a player who plays well when the team plays well, but doesn't dig in if things don't go our way.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:In Eddy's defence, what I like about him is that he looks like a footballer. He runs to reasonable positions, he can do smart things and he thinks before he uses it. I think in time he'll make it. There's a good element to his game. Not entirely dissimilar to Lenny Hayes at the same point in his career (although I always felt Hayes would eventually make it.
Nice summation of Eddy.

I've watched him closely since I sat near to what must have been his relo's (mum, dad, uncles, aunties) maybe at Canberra in the NAB cup.

Everytime he was within 30 metres they would shout his name, bringing our attention to him. He made a few clangers that day and I really wondered about his worth, but watched the replay of that game a few times.

Watching it back made me realise how many times he actually gets near the ball and makes a contest.

He finds the ball/the ball finds him.

When he learns the real defensive side of the game, he will be a gun mid. He is a really hard trainer and anyone who has gone to VFL games when he has been playing will see what a young leader he is.

Personally he is a real fave of mine now and am so pleased to see RL show faith in him.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

X is still not right. His hamstring injury has put him behind the 8ball, physically. Looked like a really light frame playing in the VFL last week.

rexy
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote:X is still not right. His hamstring injury has put him behind the 8ball, physically. Looked like a really light frame playing in the VFL last week.
Agree 100%, his size is not acceptable for a guy who has been in the system for 5 years or so. He must bulk up in order to stick more tackles, keep his body over the contested footy and avoid collision injuries IMO.

Maybe this year?
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I wish X would share his weight loss philosophies with me...I could show him how to put on weight...:p

So that's it for the year with X then, I guess :(

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

It's a great looking line-up! Thanks SM.

Come on Saints! Take them apart!!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

i actually dont mind that team at all
hopefully ball comes up, we need his head over the footy drive.

eddy i like, have done for a while

the 'he looks like a footballer' comment is spot on i reckon...and he does find the cherry.
i think thats about the best side right there, including the emergencies.
thats what we have, and between that lot we will win a flag. 8-)

saintly
Saintsational Legend

how do we counteract their rolling zone?

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:how do we counteract their rolling zone?
The same way we did last time. But instead of turning it around in 2 quarters, we can work on it over 4 :wink:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
StPeter
Club Player

I have to agree with Evertonfc that Birss and X are preferred to Mini and Eddy.

I don't believe McQualter is up to AFL standard. He has shown little in the many chances he has had.

Eddy will certainly make it as a player but still falls a bit short of what's required. Falls over too much, tackles don't always stick and his set shot accuracy has been found wanting.

HarveysDeciple

StPeter wrote:I have to agree with Evertonfc that Birss and X are preferred to Mini and Eddy.

I don't believe McQualter is up to AFL standard. He has shown little in the many chances he has had.

Eddy will certainly make it as a player but still falls a bit short of what's required. Falls over too much, tackles don't always stick and his set shot accuracy has been found wanting.
One thing in mini's favour is him shutting down Mitchell in the second half last time.