Cousins to announce preferred club tomorrow

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

roo+hayes=flag wrote:
Spinner wrote:
roo+hayes=flag wrote:
Spinner wrote:
roo+hayes=flag wrote:What does it mean if he does say us, does it mean he's ours, or can the pies still take him before us?
Pies have the pick before us! So they can definitely draft him.

Of course this is considering he nominates only for the pre season draft....He can put a price on his head, or he can just say that he only wants to play for St Kilda and hope everyone respects that and dont draft a player that does not want to be there.
Cheers Mark
Mark?

yeh, isnt that your name?
Nope. lol
Last edited by Spinner on Fri 26 Sep 2008 2:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

i can just see the headline if he does come to st kilda

FROM SINNER TO SAINT

:lol:

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:i can just see the headline if he does come to st kilda

FROM SINNER TO SAINT

Welome back Oh When The Saints!!!!!!!

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Everyone at my work except me is predicting the pies :cry:

Before Im 85
alstar

[quote]i can just see the headline if he does come to st kilda

FROM SINNER TO SAINT

What about - Ben goes from Hell to Heaven
[/code]

PREMIERS 09!
St Marcus
Club Player

How about

FROM HELL TO HALO

For my 2 cents worth not so sure about Benny Boy coming to my club, just hope he stays on the straight and narrow

degruch
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:
Beno88 wrote:Can we read anything into the fact he is announcing his preferred club on Channel 7 tomorrow? Surely if he was going to the Pies he would be announcing it on channel 9.
Channel 7 out-bidded Channel 9 for the announcement.
No, Ben nominated Channel 7 as his preferred media outlet.

All I can say is...geez, getting a bit ahead of himself, isn't he? Does it really matter who he wants to play for? Unless it's Collingwood, he can't do much about it, other than pull out of the draft!

I reckon it'll be Collingwood...they probably look as likely a finals contender as us, need a replacement midfielder, and you can't discount the Collingwood mafia post-football network, which would offer great media and business opportunities I'm sure.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

cosuins would be committing career suicide for the second time if he goes to collingwood. how is their culture going to help him?

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Do supporters want him more, because Collingwood might get him?

Or because he's a required player? You have to wonder sometimes. :roll:

I recall the jokes, abuse and cruelty on this forum when he fell from grace.

If he can help us as a player and we get him in the PSD, then ok. Otherwise I'm sure there's more capable players out there.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:i can just see the headline if he does come to st kilda

FROM SINNER TO SAINT

Welome back Oh When The Saints!!!!!!!
Thanks! :D

He probably nominated channel 7 as he preferred media outlet...because the worst that can happen is he get's asked the hard questions by the Ox :lol:

Geezer
Club Player

it's an announcment on cousins returning to AFL football and the steps he needs to take in getting there.
i dont think he will say i want to play at team A next season and only team A.

#35 - Thanks for the Memories.
21 Great Season's
Simply Remarkable
St Marcus
Club Player

fonz_#15 wrote:cosuins would be committing career suicide for the second time if he goes to collingwood. how is their culture going to help him?
Exactly, plus I would have thought he would prefer a more low key club like us.

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:Do supporters want him more, because Collingwood might get him?

If he can help us as a player and we get him in the PSD, then ok. Otherwise I'm sure there's more capable players out there.
Good post WJ42.....the doomsayers were quick to insert the cutlery into the appropriate area not 12 months ago and all of a sudden, all due to credit to himself if he has gotten over his issues, a massive turn around in opinions.

Don't worry a lot have been guilty of it.....I too was sceptical as to whether he had the ability (with or without help) to even get to this position.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:Do supporters want him more, because Collingwood might get him?

I agree with you 100% I remember that, after he went off injured in the final against Port (accompanied by lame and unnecessary jokes about ice from that comedy legend in his own mind Dennis Cometti) , there were several multi-page threads of derision on this forum. I dared to put up a post expressing sympathy for him and was howled down (although I did get some very nice PMs in support from some of the leading posters on here).

The guy has clearly been battling a terrible personal problem in the full glare of the media for the best part of the last 8 years. He was made a scapegoat by the AFL and rubbed out of the game on spurious grounds: I'm sure that, if Cousins, his management and his family hadn't realised that the key task for him was to get himself together, Cousins could have successfully taken the AFL to court. I would imagine he still might if he's not allowed to play next season.

It is funny that most on here are suddenly so excited about getting him to the Saints. I certainly really like the idea, if he has gotten his act together (and I don't think anyone should underestimate the challenges he would have faced, and will continue to face) that he should be given a chance to redeem himself in the AFL.

If he could recapture some of his past form, I reckon he'd be a wonderful addition to our list. At his best, he was definitely one of the best midfielders I've ever seen: I would rate him above Harvey (sorry folks), Voss, Kerr, Black and even Judd.

Whether he will be the same player without his (pharmacological? has he now confessed that?) crutch remains to be seen: I'm not 100% convinced that it would have helped him that much in a pure physiological sense, but the alleged substance undoubtedly increases aggression, drive and the ability to focus: key components of the Cousins package when he was at his best.

If another club such as the Pies goes all out to get him, and succeeds, I won't be devastated. Taking him on is always going to be a calculated risk, with a big chance of failure.

Wherever he ends up, I continue to wish him well and hope that he can make a good go of it. I will always be a fan: as a lover of AFL, watching him at his best gave me enormous pleasure (albeit, when the Eagles played against us, this was sometimes mixed with pain). And the guy has clearly suffered enormously for his sins.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
esaint66
SS Life Member

The only reasons i can see Cousins electing the Pies is if ...

* It's the Malthouse factor (previous coach/mentor)
* He really hasn't changed as a person (ui am not making judgements but only he alone can be 100% about that.)

He will pick the Saints if ...

* He wants to be a a footy club that doesn't seek the media spotlight and is heading in the right directiona nd he will have a unique place in our team in the future.

* Also He might want to be with his already changed and established mate Gardiner and his supposed new found friends Rooey and Dal.

Let's just hope it is us !!! :D :D

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i think benny boy was contracted by 7 back in the WCE days so that maybe why

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:

I agree with you 100% I remember that, after he went off injured in the final against Port (accompanied by lame and unnecessary jokes about ice from that comedy legend in his own mind Dennis Cometti) , there were several multi-page threads of derision on this forum. I dared to put up a post expressing sympathy for him and was howled down (although I did get some very nice PMs in support from some of the leading posters on here).

The guy has clearly been battling a terrible personal problem in the full glare of the media for the best part of the last 8 years. He was made a scapegoat by the AFL and rubbed out of the game on spurious grounds: I'm sure that, if Cousins, his management and his family hadn't realised that the key task for him was to get himself together, Cousins could have successfully taken the AFL to court. I would imagine he still might if he's not allowed to play next season.

It is funny that most on here are suddenly so excited about getting him to the Saints. I certainly really like the idea, if he has gotten his act together (and I don't think anyone should underestimate the challenges he would have faced, and will continue to face) that he should be given a chance to redeem himself in the AFL.

If he could recapture some of his past form, I reckon he'd be a wonderful addition to our list. At his best, he was definitely one of the best midfielders I've ever seen: I would rate him above Harvey (sorry folks), Voss, Kerr, Black and even Judd.

Whether he will be the same player without his (pharmacological? has he now confessed that?) crutch remains to be seen: I'm not 100% convinced that it would have helped him that much in a pure physiological sense, but the alleged substance undoubtedly increases aggression, drive and the ability to focus: key components of the Cousins package when he was at his best.

If another club such as the Pies goes all out to get him, and succeeds, I won't be devastated. Taking him on is always going to be a calculated risk, with a big chance of failure.

Wherever he ends up, I continue to wish him well and hope that he can make a good go of it. I will always be a fan: as a lover of AFL, watching him at his best gave me enormous pleasure (albeit, when the Eagles played against us, this was sometimes mixed with pain). And the guy has clearly suffered enormously for his sins.
Mate, you've got big balls to rate him above 35 on here... which I do not disagree with BTW.

It's funny (tragic) because I believe the reactions and derisions were motivated by people's own self esteem, as well as the fact that it was happening to another club (small pen!s syndrome) instead of us.

Now we have the extreme reaction because we got smashed in the finals, and some will be hitting the panic buton (like you did with RL :wink: ) and seeing things in players through emotinal eyes.

The coaching staff will make a decision in the cold hard ligt of day... and I am 100% cool with that.

I recall the derision towards Schneider and Dempster also, early in the year. The latter's injury being a major setback in the finals.

Cuz would be a handy "depth" addition, but the sun will still come up if we don't get him IMO.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

* He wants to be a a footy club that doesn't seek the media spotlight and is heading in the right directiona nd he will have a unique place in our team in the future.
Saint Edward....

Just to enlighten you, Collingwood does not seek the media spotlight. The media are like rabbits under the Collingwood headlights. They sell newspapers and the like. They have been a successful enough club without the need to seek out the media for further attention (admittedly some recent negative press due to off-field incidents).

Sorry buddy but your reasons above just don't cut it.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I have to confess, I don't think it's us. I think it's Collingwood.

I'd love if we could pick him up. Absolutely love it.

He'll really appreciate the interest we showed, and it sounds like we've pitched hard for him. My mail is that the club made a decent fist of it and presented strongly. Well done to the club for doing that.

However, I just feel it's a bridge too far when he was so tight with Malthouse at West Coast. People say M Gardiner - but he might not even be with us next year.

I'd suggest we're going to get rolled by the Pies. But I'm not sure how much we could have done.

I'm almost resigned to it not happening. If I'm wrong, it's a massive win for the club.

Massive.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

roo+hayes=flag
Club Player

Why is he doing it on Grand Final day anyway?

Keep on rolling Harvs
timtam
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote:a bit silly of him announcing his "preferred club" now when he wasn't been cleared by the AFL medico's yet.
I believe he has met with both the AFL Players Association and the AFL hierarchy this week. Apparently it took him as long as it did to get back into a VFL side due to the AFL dragging their feet in regards to letting him know what was required of him to get back into AFL.

In regards to an earlier post asking how he can dictate which club he wants to go to, technically he can't. However, say for example he was desperate to come to St Kilda yet Collingwood had first dibbs. If he was to go to Collingwood and their were issues down the track, it would serve no one's best interests. Same as Judd. Richmond could have come after him but didn't knowing full well that it was Carlton or nothing for Judd. The system is open to 'manipulation' so to speak. You can't fix that no matter what you do. Having said that, there is a lot of work and agreements done behind the scenes between the clubs so the manipulation occurs by all the parties involved, not just the player in question. Ben would have met and spoken with all of the interested parties and everyone involved will know exactly where he will be going before he announces it tomorrow.

As for his announcement tomorrow, the fact that it is on Channel 7 and not Channel 9 or announced on the footy show speak volumes at this point. Whether it be St Kilda, Richmond or even the Bulldogs that is his choice, IMO I don't believe that it will be Collingwood. I suppose we will just have to wait and see what tomorrow brings......

Don't argue with an idiot - people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote:
Saint Edward....

Just to enlighten you, Collingwood does not seek the media spotlight. The media are like rabbits under the Collingwood headlights. They sell newspapers and the like. They have been a successful enough club without the need to seek out the media for further attention (admittedly some recent negative press due to off-field incidents).

Sorry mate... That's BULLSH1T!

Your Prez uses every opportunity to promote his club in the spotlight ffs.

You guys are happy to brag about how successfull you are off field, and how many flags you won 2 centuries ago... what ever happened to the Pink Magpie Army?

I even heard Pert speaking at a Macca's function and he categorically stated that "being hated" was a major marketing ploy that the club plays upon and is happy to flame. Even Ed came out and stated what a fairytale marketing coup it would be to get Cuz.

You live by the sword... you die by the sword. Your coach arked up big time when he said there were 2 sets of rules for players. Seriously, what did u expect to happen with Didak and Shaw?

Given the resources, expsure and $$$, it would have to be one of the biggest underperforming clubs onfield, in the modern era IMHO.
Last edited by WayneJudson42 on Fri 26 Sep 2008 2:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saint Mik
Club Player

Saint Edward....

Just to enlighten you, Collingwood does not seek the media spotlight. The media are like rabbits under the Collingwood headlights.
Now you are sounding like a true Pies fan :roll:

Yep we all need Collingwood :shock: Give me a spell will ya :roll:

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
esaint66
SS Life Member

saint edward wrote:
Saint Edward....

Ok then,
I take back the 'seeking'(they always seem to find it so i'm not really sure though) Collingwood are a team that is constantly in the spotlight whether they want it or not. I think Ben has had enough of that and would just like to settle down. That is just my opinion though.

Another piece of evidence to back up my argument is Fraser Gehrig.
Didn't he turn down a career at Collingwood because he wanted to be at a club that was not constantly in the media spotlight ??? :? :? :?
Last edited by esaint66 on Fri 26 Sep 2008 2:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

timtam
Club Player

meher baba wrote:

I was not a massive fan of Cousins prior to his fall from grace (his personality, not his playing ability he has always been magnificent to watch), but with how he has conducted himself since, he has won me over. If anything, it was the how the media pounced on him that made me actually feel terrible for him and had me firmly in his corner watching his progress and hoping like hell he could beat his addiction. The arrogance has gone (although still extremely confident) and I have been really impressed with the way he has handled himself in interviews. Regardless of where he goes, I wish him well. How wonderful would it be to see such a tragic story (one that looked to be almost life ending, not just career ending at one point) have a happy ending.

Don't argue with an idiot - people watching may not be able to tell the difference.