Building a Premiership Team...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:Ok, so let me get this straight...

First it was Brisbane we had to copy coz they were the benchmark. We did that but the game moved on.

Then we had to copy Geelong because their style was the biggest thing since sliced bread...

NOW we have to go down the Hawthorn path? :roll: :roll:

What about next year? Who do we have to copy next?

No...you mss the point entirely.

You do not have to ape Hawthorn...or the Lions..or the Swans in terms of exactly doing what they did etc.

But whichever path you use you have to do it VERY WELL.

And in particular whether you draft or trade...you have to pick well and develop that talent well....and you must do it with an overall team structure and gameplan in mind.

This the Hawks did.
The Swans
The Cat's
The Lions.

They all need it in different styles...but all assembled very good talent to suita particular vision.

At the start of the nuaghties we were do it very well....and our fortunes lifted.

BUT then we lost focus and made many poor decions and in particular with our incoming talent.

So we went into decline...

The reason I am such a Lyon fan and have been from Day 1 is that he clearly hasa vision for the type of team that he belives will be successful and he is going about building it ina systematic and deliberate manner.

That is the lesson from that article on the Hawks.

It is also why I disagee with the recruit the best available player philophosy (apart from say the first pick..).

You need rather to have decided what type od team you are builder...and then to get the players you need to achieve it..

Your starting pool of players may of course influence where you decide to go....as I am sure it did with roos when he gained the Swans list.
Yes, we are on the same page here...

The post was in reply to all the other threads extohling how great the Hawks are and how bad we are.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:hamill was "100%" to go that night ??!! :shock: How credible is that info?
It's not.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

First it was Brisbane we had to copy coz they were the benchmark. We did that but the game moved on.

Then we had to copy Geelong because their style was the biggest thing since sliced bread...

No...you miss the point entirely.

You do not have to ape Hawthorn...or the Lions..or the Swans in terms of exactly doing what they did etc.

And in particular whether you draft or trade...you have to pick well and develop that talent well....and you must do it with an overall team structure and gameplan in mind.

This the Hawks did.
The Swans
The Cat's
The Lions.

They all need it in different styles...but all assembled very good talent to suit a particular vision.

At the start of the noughties we were do it very well....and our fortunes lifted.

BUT then we lost focus and made many poor decisions and in particular with our incoming talent.

The reason I am such a Lyon fan and have been from Day 1 is that he clearly has a vision for the type of team that he believes will be successful and he is going about building it in a systematic and deliberate manner.

It is also why I disagree with the recruit the best available player philosophy (apart from say the first pick..).

You need rather to have decided what type of team you are builder...and then to get the players you need to achieve it..

Your starting pool of players may of course influence where you decide to go....as I am sure it did with Roos when he gained the Swans list.
So why hasn't Lyon traded anyone?

He's kept every single genuine player we had - and only discarded VFL players.

I'm not sure Lyon is as systematic as some think.

There's no evidence to suggest he's building anything. It seems as though he's topping up more than any coach in the comp.

One week we seem hell bent on defensive, lockdown type footy. But then Fiora is selected for a prelim final.

It actually frustrates me incredibly that we don't seem to have a system at all - on the park on a weekly basis or at a long term level.

If Lyon was fair dinkum about walking in and having a vision in mind for how he wanted us to play, and the type of player he wants to carry it out - it must be the greatest coincidence of all time that every one of our established players fits that bill.

Especially considering our list was in such horrendous decline.

Are Jones, Eddy, Dempster and Matthew Clarke his fix?

I think you have some pretty intense rose coloured glasses on SrR. You seem to be seeing what you want to see happen, rather than what is actually happening.

Saints43
Club Player

You seem to be seeing what you want to see happen, rather than what is actually happening.
See Thread: Lyon's Backline...

Saints43
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:agree - they held their nerve. saints (thomas) got sucked in by 2004 and sucked in by the media hype that the saints were going to not only win a flag but win a few in those 05-07 years. so sucked in they believed their own BS and believed what they read and stopped developing young players and went for quick fix hacks from other clubs. disgrace.

hawks still have tuck, muston, morton and kennedy as talented kids ready to come in next year. if saints fans arent concerned about our lack of young players they should be.
As we were the innovators of the 'bottom out & rebuild method' Hawthorn had the opportunity to watch and learn from our mistakes.

Pretty handy situation that we didn't have.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

No...you miss the point entirely.

This the Hawks did.
The Swans
The Cat's
The Lions.

They all need it in different styles...but all assembled very good talent to suit a particular vision.

At the start of the noughties we were do it very well....and our fortunes lifted.

BUT then we lost focus and made many poor decisions and in particular with our incoming talent.

The reason I am such a Lyon fan and have been from Day 1 is that he clearly has a vision for the type of team that he believes will be successful and he is going about building it in a systematic and deliberate manner.

It is also why I disagree with the recruit the best available player philosophy (apart from say the first pick..).

You need rather to have decided what type of team you are builder...and then to get the players you need to achieve it..

Your starting pool of players may of course influence where you decide to go....as I am sure it did with Roos when he gained the Swans list.

He's kept every single genuine player we had - and only discarded VFL players.

I'm not sure Lyon is as systematic as some think.

There's no evidence to suggest he's building anything. It seems as though he's topping up more than any coach in the comp.

One week we seem hell bent on defensive, lockdown type footy. But then Fiora is selected for a prelim final.

It actually frustrates me incredibly that we don't seem to have a system at all - on the park on a weekly basis or at a long term level.

If Lyon was fair dinkum about walking in and having a vision in mind for how he wanted us to play, and the type of player he wants to carry it out - it must be the greatest coincidence of all time that every one of our established players fits that bill.

Especially considering our list was in such horrendous decline.

Are Jones, Eddy, Dempster and Matthew Clarke his fix?

I think you have some pretty intense rose coloured glasses on SrR. You seem to be seeing what you want to see happen, rather than what is actually happening.
RF, while I agree that sRr sees the world through rose-coloured glasses (or, perhaps it might be better to say, through the astigmatism of his agenda), I think Lyon did come to the club with the idea of the sort of team he was trying to build and that players like Doc Clarke, Jones, Dempster, Eddy, Raph, Schneider and an in-form Fiora (which we got in spades during 2007, but time now seems to have passed him by) all fit into his vision of what he is looking for.

As I see it, Lyon has a preferred structure in his mind, and has rotated all the players at the club - bar Steven, Connors and (except for one game when he was the last man standing) Howard through it over the past two years to try to see who he likes in what role.

I know I'll get flamed for writing this, but I don't care. The structure Lyon is looking for is a modified version of the Swans' structure. Apart from his stopper in Max (and a younger, less accomplished version of Max probably wouldn't get a run under Lyon), he is looking to have a number of tallish players in the backline who can run and set up play down field. Dempster, Sam Fisher, Gilbert and now Raph have impressed him as being able to do this. He has also often looked to use BJ in this role, but has (it would seem) finally started to appreciate that BJ goes better further upfield. He would seem to have given up on Leigh Fisher, has never been impressed by Ferguson, and also seems to be a bit dubious about Geary in this role.

He would ideally like to have 4 or more in-and-under, lock down/tagging midfielders: he used Harves more in this role than Thomas did, plus Hayes and Ball and sometimes Dal and Joey and even Schneider helping out (and Armo getting guernsey when someone was injured, although - rightly - Lyon isn't hugely impressed with Armo's work rate). He has also used Jones - not by any stretch an in-and-under player - to provide a bit of midfield grunt in the absence of someone harder and more skilled.

He would also like to have several outside midfielders/half forwards who can get away from their opponents, either through speed or stamina or a combination of both. He used Fiora in this role until his form deserted him. He has now moved Gram forward to do this work. Joey gets a run in this role from time to time. He has also experimented with Gwilt there a bit, with some success. And Eddy - with his enormous stamina - is another experiment. Maybe he'd like Geary to do some of this work, and I suspect Howard, Steven and Connors are earmarked to have a go in this spot as well.

I think Lyon might see Birss as being neither totally an in-and-under player nor an outside player, so doesn't seem to want him. He also doesn't seem to know quite what to do with Dal. He isn't really looking to create a lot from the middle of the park except at centre bounces: he wants to start moves from the back.

They're calling my flight. I will return to this later.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

I did not say that he MUST. What I have said is for the Saints to get better that we need to recruit VERY well...and to do so with a particular team and gameplan in mind.

If Judd had been available to the Saints last year I think he would have.

He clearly was interested in Judd....and would have needed either a low draft pick or to trade a good player to get him.

To get a low draft pick we would have had to have traded a good player.
So either way you would need to have a traded a player.

As for the Hawks trading away older but good players to get more picks.

We are past that stage..... and to go that way now would not make the most of Roo etc....

So if Lyon does trade a player this year I think it would be more secure a particular player that he believes that we really need....unless another club is generous enough to give us a 4th rounder for someone like L Fisher or Fiora.....(which would not seem likely....but the saints managed some amazing deals last year!!!!)

Of the players supposedly known to be available......(though they may just be engineering longer contracts at their own clubs) the ones that catch my eyes as making a significant difference:

* O 'Keefe..can boost both our forward line and midfield. We desperately need a medium forward. Charlie has shown what a difference the right structure up forward can do..but we need someone better than Charlie.

* Kerr...would obviously make a big impact in our under-performing midfield. However I cannot see how we could trade for him. trading Dal for Kerr to me does not make sense.

However last year from "knowhere" Lyon gained King for basically nothing!!!!! and Schneider AND Dempster for only pick 26!!!!! So who knows what Lyon and Drain will engineer this year?????

The idea is to recruit to advantage....and not be fixated on trading players in advance etc...

Look at each deal...and if it is to our advantage and provides a piece of jig saw puzzle that Lyon is assembling you do it. If not you stick to taking kids.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Attention: RF and MB.

I'd really like to know how and where you get your acces to RL's thoughts.

And I think all the other posters on here would also love the same access.

Obviously, you both seem to know exactly what's going on, and we don't.

I think if you can share this with us, it would save a lot of unnecessary threads and arguments IMHO.

Cue: Where did I post that I'm aware of his thoughts... :roll:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

and Matthew Clarke his fix?

I think comments such as this are pretty much crud.

MC was never meant to be anything more than a one year back-up ruckman to give lyon time to get better depth in our ruck division. This he achieved..and for his cost...what is the problem???

As it was with Gardi not getting his body right, and the inept state of the saints ruck division when RL took over, it actually turned out to be a very prudent pick up.

The way RF and MB keep carrying on you would think that MC was meant to be a long term solution that did not work out.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:

RF, while I agree that sRr sees the world through rose-coloured glasses (or, perhaps it might be better to say, through the astigmatism of his agenda), .
Well at least my "Lyon" glasses have been consistent.....and what I posted that we need prior to GT going still seems to me to be the way to go...

As to agenda's......how is the "Sack Lyon" Club going?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
meher baba wrote:

RF, while I agree that sRr sees the world through rose-coloured glasses (or, perhaps it might be better to say, through the astigmatism of his agenda), .
Well at least my "Lyon" glasses have been consistent.....and what I posted that we need prior to GT going still seems to me to be the way to go...

As to agenda's......how is the "Sack Lyon" Club going?
Ouch!

We all have astigmatism when it comes to our personal prejudices,sRr. But my call to "sack Lyon" was just an old-fashioned misinterpretation of what was going on

And,WJ42, I don't claim to know what Lyon is thinking. I'm just trying to intuit from what I see going on on the field

And, finally, I'm not particularly critical of the decision to recruit Doc Clarke. I supported it at the time, although was (and remain) unhappy that we had to cut TS40 for the Doc

Clarke didn't turn out too well, which tends to support the idea of not going for older players who are first rate talents (which King is IMO, or close enough anyway).

But drafting older GOPs can work sometimes: look at Dew!!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
Cue: Where did I post that I'm aware of his thoughts... :roll:

It's a correct cue too.

I simply responded to a post that suggested Lyon was onto something and that the poster knew precisely what it was.

My response didn't suggest I knew what Lyon was thinking - quite the contrare infact.

My post suggested - even outright said - that he doesn't appear to have a plan at all, and if he does I certainly can't see what it is.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I hope we see better recruiting this time around, as I think our recruiting has been at the best, ordinary for years. Recruiting players who display leadership qualities is a good start, and also recruiting expressly to build a premiership team is a priority. We have recruited a lot of talented and highly skilled players over the last 20 or more years, but few have had that leadership and hard work ethic which is needed to get a premiership.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I hope we see better recruiting this time around, as I think our recruiting has been at the best, ordinary for years. Recruiting players who display leadership qualities is a good start, and also recruiting expressly to build a premiership team is a priority. We have recruited a lot of talented and highly skilled players over the last 20 or more years, but few have had that leadership and hard work ethic which is needed to get a premiership.
Indeed...and it is why one needs to recruit players for the team you want...

Rather than just the so called "best available" player at each pick.

One of the very interesting aspects of the Hawks recruiting was the depth of their analysis and thoroughness in application.

For example their study on the footskills of players with the conclusion that left footers tend to out perform with footskills....and hence they really looked through this pool to get their TEAM footskills up.

While the Hawks were doing that...the saints were recruiting McGough...a player that the Pies delisted because his skills were not good enough.

Is it any wonder with such contrasting recruitment processes that the Saints list declined...and the Hawks improved (even allowing for where picks were taken)?

I have been posting for years that sound List Management is the key to success.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 01 Oct 2008 10:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I missed the start of this thread, and usually once a thread goes for about 22 pages + I don't read the whole thing.

But I feel this is important and is worth noting, if it has already been said or is completely irrelevant to the way the thread evolved just ignore it...

I think it is time as a club we took a stand at developing a list our own way.

It seems that every year we want to build our team around the powerhouse of the time, football evolves on a year basis however it revolves around a cycle, there is no point building a team around the current powerhouses method of success, because all the other teams will focus on a way to beat that, and if they can beat the original they will find a way to beat our imitation of it...

I believe that our list has fallen under a few different philosophies and it seems we have a few players who are now lost, men without islands because they were developed for one game plan and now we've changed it, these include Dal Santo, Kosi and even Maguire...

The club are going to have to decide whether or not they think a flag is reachable in the next 3 years, if they don't we should rebuild, but we shouldn't base it around hawthorn, we have to be pro active and come up with a method that will have people want to chase us, not vice versa.

Unfortunately I have absolutely no idea on how that could be achived, that is where the great footy brains come from, finding away to beat the pack...

Good Luck RL

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dal has the skills to succeed in any gameplan....

He just needs to lift his workrate and improve his consistency...and in particular realise that when the opposition has the ball that you need to be just as focused as when your team has it.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Dal has the skills to succeed in any gameplan....

He just needs to lift his workrate and improve his consistency...and in particular realise that when the opposition has the ball that you need to be just as focused as when your team has it.
I don't disagree with anything you've said, but he played a lot of football under GT's philosophy which had a large emphasis on attack, so it was a huge paradigm shift for the players to have to focus on accountability and it is one that Dal Santo has struggled with more than anyone else...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Dal has the skills to succeed in any gameplan....

I don't disagree with anything you've said, but he played a lot of football under GT's philosophy which had a large emphasis on attack, so it was a huge paradigm shift for the players to have to focus on accountability and it is one that Dal Santo has struggled with more than anyone else...
Well firstly...Lyon's game plan too has an emphasis on attack when we have the ball. but it also has a strong defensive element when the opposition have it.

What is putting the clamps on our offence though is that our engine simply at present is not as good as the Hawks and cats....and so the brakes are put on us before we can accelearte.

Secondly, I think a key point is that teams have moved on since 2004.

The Premiership Lions may have had more class than the Premiership Cats...but what makes the Ctas such a very good team is their great team play and abslute discipline.

Likewise the Hawks.

Against teams such as the Hawks and Cats of today you cannot hope to win against good teams by being so one dimensional.

This is by the way is a large factor in why the Saints fell by the wayside post streak....and why we are still lacking when playing against the best.

Opposition coaches picked apart our game plan...and had their teams work as a unit to stop us in our tracks.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well my "rose-colored glasses" now seem to be in mass production and are now worn by many others :wink:

My faith in Lyon often ridiculed has been rewarded with interest.

saintsRrising wrote:

However last year from "nowhere" Lyon gained King for basically nothing!!!!! and Schneider AND Dempster for only pick 26!!!!! So who knows what Lyon and Drain will engineer this year?????

The idea is to recruit to advantage....and not be fixated on trading players in advance etc...

Look at each deal...and if it is to our advantage and provides a piece of jig saw puzzle that Lyon is assembling you do it. If not you stick to taking kids.
7 games in...and Lyon and Drain have done it again. :)

Ray has simply been a star and Zac at Full Back a genuine surprise.

Gardi has emerged after a lot of faith shown by Lyon.

The injury rate is down which is a big help too (Misson said on starting that it would take years to address), but is still occurring though with greater depth we have not even blinked when Max, X and King have gone down.

The rookies have come on....and the much criticised Lyon gameplan tinkered with over Summer...but the No 1. difference to me is that the players are now all to man onboard and committed to Lyon's Vision.

Visions are only any good when shared. That is when they become a reality!!!