Round 1 Team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:is anyone else hanging for the season to just hurry the f*** up and get here??

'scuse my langauge

NAB just aint the same as home and away.......
UUm yep. Can't wait to watch it on the Big screen at home with a beer in hand. Maybe I shouldn't say that on here, but stuff it. It's the League players that are stuffing up and making people whinge about alcohol in sport. I thought it was an Australian Tradition to have a beer at the footy. Anyone else on that page.
I think when it comes to accusations falling on sports players there is a significant difference between having a few beers with some mates and having 13 or 14 beers...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
DWOODROW
Club Player

[quote="Armoooo"][quote="DWOODROW"][quote="matrixcutter"]is anyone else hanging for the season to just hurry the f*** up and get here??

'scuse my langauge

NAB just aint the same as home and away.......[/quote]

UUm yep. Can't wait to watch it on the Big screen at home with a beer in hand. Maybe I shouldn't say that on here, but stuff it. It's the League players that are stuffing up and making people whinge about alcohol in sport. I thought it was an Australian Tradition to have a beer at the footy. Anyone else on that page.[/quote]

I think when it comes to accusations falling on sports players there is a significant difference between having a few beers with some mates and having 13 or 14 beers...[/quote]

[color=yellow]Too true Armoooo[/color]

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Everybody is picking Dawson????
I have seen him play three times, in the intra-club game, against Brisbane and against Richmond. I must be missing something because I have hardly seem him touch the footy. Not worthy of a game at this level yet.

Saints94
SS Life Member

He can also be a pinch hitter up forward....... good old zac 8-) :wink:

Sam23
SS Life Member

Hopefully we reward Geary's good pre season form with a go in rd 1.

Goddard.
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Wrote this on another thread earlier in the week, havn't really changed my opinion much.

St Kilda
Sydney

FB: S.Baker – Z.Dawson – R.Clarke
FF: J.McVeigh – H.Grundy - P.Veszpremi

HB: S.Fisher – J.Blake – F.Ray
HF: R. O’Keefe – B.Hall – A.Buchanan

C: L.Montagna – L.Hayes – B.Goddard
C: N.Malceski – B.Kirk – A.Goodes

HF: S.Gilbert – N.Riewoldt – J.Gram
HB: T.Richards – C.Bolton – R.Shaw

FF: S.Milne – J.Koschitzke – A.Schneider
FB: P.Bevan – L.Roberts-Thomson – M.Mattner

R: S.King – N.Dal Santo – L.Ball
R: D.Jolly – C.Bird – J.Bolton

I/C: M.Gardiner – X.Clarke – J.Steven – J.Geary
I/C: J.White – J.Moore – K.Jack – E.Barlow

EMG: T.Lynch – L.Fisher – C.Begley – J.Gwilt – C.Jones – A.McQualter
EMG: L.Ablett – J.Crouch – M.O’Dwyer – M.Laidlaw – R.Brabozon

Out due to fitness: M.Hudghton, D.Armitage, M.Maguire, S.Dempster, J.Allen, R.Eddy

17 of the 18 players I have selected on the field will be lock-ins (with respect to fitness) for anyone. Dawson as a rookie may not have full support however he's been recruited as a replacement for Hudghton when he finishes so it is a must that Dawson is given the nod while Max is out. It helps that O'Loughlin is injured as Dawson's opponent will probably only be Heath Grundy.

Picking the final four for the bench gets a little harder.
I've drawn a line through L.Fisher and A.McQualter for round one due to the fact that Sydney just doesn't have anyone worthy of specifically negating.

Gwilt was very ordinary towards the end of last season. He is extremely slow both in mind and pace.

Jones could get a look in due to the fact that he gets the ball and actually has genuine pace. However I still don't favor playing him plainly due to his skills.

Lynch from reports has been promising as a third tall. I'm very tempted to have him rotating off the bench however against Sydney another tall isn't as vital. Give him a few games at center half forward for Sandringham and give him a shot in the seniors by round 5.

By the looks of it Ross is determined to go back to giving both King and Gardiner about 50% gametime per match. So therefore Gardiner takes one spot on the bench.

So that leaves Begley, X.Clarke, Steven and Geary as players pushing for those last three spots. I've gone with the latter three basically due to their better preseason numbers. If Clarke has any fitness doubts then I'd have no hesitation in bringing in Begley (or if you must, Jones).

I have Baker on McVeigh. Whether Baker follows him when he goes onball I'm not sure. We will need a small defender to take the likes of Moore and Jack when they go forward.

Sam Fisher on O'Keefe. If Fisher needs to be freed up then send Gilbert back onto ROK and bring in Lynch (or Gwilt) to play as third tall.

It would be very entertaining to see Goddard go head to head with Goodes. Lets hope these two get physical because I know who would win hands down.

Finally our on ball rotation consists of: Hayes, Ball, Dal Santo, Goddard, Ray, Gram, Montagna, X.Clarke, J.Steven and Baker as a tagger.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

IMO Dawson shouldn't be in our lineup unless three of S.Fisher, Hudghton, Maguire and Blake are out.

I have only selected him in my team because from all reports he's as good as certain to start...

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
PJ
SS Life Member

Do Begley and Geary play the same role?

If so who do you have ahead and why?

I haven't seen enough of the pracy games to judge Column but Gears doesn't knock me over just yet - not sure exactly why.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Do Begley and Geary play the same role?

If so who do you have ahead and why?

I haven't seen enough of the pracy games to judge Column but Gears doesn't knock me over just yet - not sure exactly why.
Interesting point, while they do play the same position/ role they are very different players.

Colm's advantages (from what I've seen) are his height and athleticism. His disposal can be a bit of a worry however.

Geary is stockier but is probably a better runner over four quarters. He is better built and is a better tackler and probably better with the ball.

Geary is younger but Colm only started playing the game a few years ago so they probably have similar upsides.

Personally I would choose Geary because IMO he is more versatile, he has the endurance and speed to be a tagger, but he is also a ball magnet. His disposal is better than Begley's, but still needs some work.

I would rather play Raph/ Gilbert/ Blake in the Begley role but IMO unless Baker comes good we don't have any that could play the role I would be suggesting for Geary.

saintjake
Club Player

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
Quixote wrote:If both Clarke's are fit ( :?: ), Begley out, onto EMG. Gwilt off EMG.

I honestly think Rocco will get his run - whether it be RND 1 or RND 15 - wait for it.
to clarify rocca is ross tangatulum???

and we already have two small forwards that are more than capable...we dont need three
if your saying schnider man is a capable small foward, i think you are blind played maybe one good game last year

PJ
SS Life Member

i think you are blind played maybe one good game last year
For someone who played 1 good game I think 28 goals isn't bad jakey - and interestingly how do you call someone blind you are communicating with on the internet? Perhaps you are refering to his inability to see what you see, who is blind here?

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

I wouldn't rule out CJ for round 1. And Begley ahead of Geary.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
PJ
SS Life Member

Just interested - when you pick your team are using the ready for March 28th criteria or best balanced team long term criteria?

I guess you have to go with who's up and running but some need game time and a bit of faith. Some just need people to remember what they are capable of.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

CJ is about #30.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:CJ is about #30.
Unless we've got serious improvement from players that I can't see or RL is ready to make wholesale changes... I reckon CJ will play as #1 tagger. Especially if Baker plays BP.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CL will play. Played in the important games last year so I think he is fairly certain. Also played all the practice matches. Just a player IMO but seems to have a role that RL likes.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Assuming Raph is out and X, Gram and Schneider are right to play, that leaves three spots for Begley, Geary, Gwilt, Jones, McQualter and Steven. Any one of those six could be selected. Begley if we need a small-to-medium defender; Gwilt if we need a taller player; Geary, Jones, McQualter and Steven if we need midfield bodies.

Based on that, I'd expect the lineup to look something like this:

FB: S. Fisher - Dawson - Baker
HB: Ray - Blake - X. Clarke
C: Gram - Hayes - Dal Santo
HF: Montagna - Riewoldt - Gilbert
FF: Schneider - Koschitzke - Milne
OB: King - Goddard - Ball

IC: Gardiner - Geary - Jones - McQualter

EM: Begley - Gwilt - Steven

Begley comes in if X. Clarke or Gram can't go. Steven comes in if Schneider isn't deemed ready. If there are concerns over any of our other forwards or rucks, we could see McEvoy or Lynch named as an emergency.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CL will play. Played in the important games last year so I think he is fairly certain. Also played all the practice matches. Just a player IMO but seems to have a role that RL likes.
Who is CL :?

Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

Backs: S Baker, Z Dawson, J Blake
Half Backs: J Gram, S Fisher, R Clarke
Centre: B Goddard, L Hayes, F Ray
Half Forwards: S Gilbert, N Riewoldt, L Montagna
Forwards: A Schneider, J Koschitzke, S Milne
Rucks: S King, L Ball, N Dal Santo
Bench: J Geary, M Gardiner, X Clarke, C Jones
Emergency: L Fisher, J Gwilt, C Begley

CJ will play. Became pretty valuable last year, only thing that lets him down is his disposal which is slowly improving.

Longwayfromhome
Club Player

I might not be in the best position to come up with a side for round one because I gather I might be the only member that places Kosi outside our best 20 players.
Who cares. Here goes:

Baker Gilbert R. Clarke
Begley Blake Fisher
Steven Ball Montagna
Dal Santo Riewoldt Goddard
dawson Gwilt Milne

King Hayes Gram

I/C Geary Lynch X and KOSI

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Who is CL :?
Cameron Ling.
Christian Lister

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

so has anything official been said about goose not playing???

there seems a bit of hoo-haa about him not on here..but im yet to find any evidence of any decision maker ruling him out...

regardless i will feel a lot better watching him stride down to he backline pregame, find his match up and start the arrogant shouldering

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:so has anything official been said about goose not playing???

there seems a bit of hoo-haa about him not on here..but im yet to find any evidence of any decision maker ruling him out...

regardless i will feel a lot better watching him stride down to he backline pregame, find his match up and start the arrogant shouldering
he said himself on tuesday night.

lefty
Club Player

Why wouldnt L.Fisher play on A.Goodes?

Leigh killed him last year, and as far as im aware, he's our fittest player.

Plus he's big and solid, can play in key positions if required.

SaintBot lineup looks good, I'd swap Goddard/Ray though, still unsure if Gram can play on the forward flank.... I'd swap X clarke for armo.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:Why wouldnt L.Fisher play on A.Goodes?

Leigh killed him last year, and as far as im aware, he's our fittest player.

Plus he's big and solid, can play in key positions if required.
SaintBot lineup looks good, I'd swap Goddard/Ray though, still unsure if Gram can play on the forward flank.... I'd swap X clarke for armo.
Are you talking about Leigh Fisher or Sam Fisher?
Whilst Leigh is a 'solid' midfielder/flanker I don't think even he would claim to be a KPP?

That's not to say you cannot play a midfielder/tagger on Goodes?