Teams STK vs SYD

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Jeez, just over a month ago we were flying, everyone was fit and inform.

Now we are going into round one without Hayes, Hudghton, Maguire, Xavier and Armitage. Not to mention there are question marks over Riewoldt and Goddard.

Anyone who was hoping for a 10 goal win is very likely to be disappointed.

One thing that has been proven time and time again is that when Lyon feels we are undermanned, he goes even more defensive than usual... see the Hawthorn fiasco a couple years back...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:a little surprised to see that both king and gardiner are in. is it going to leave us light on for run?
Not really a bad thing against Sydney - the number 1 stoppage team in the AFL!

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Art Vandelay wrote:Good to see ol' Rossco trying some of the new kids....Fair Dinkum, Geary, McQualter, Blake etc, etc.

Another Nuthin' year for the Saints I'm afraid.
:roll: Blake is always in the team which is what should be happening he is one of our most underated players he is great

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:a little surprised to see that both king and gardiner are in. is it going to leave us light on for run?
I suspect that it will be one of the rare occasions when this is so in 2009.

Sydney play a very stoppage based game, we need to have a fresh ruckman for as long as possible on Saturday.

If we were playing Geelong, Doggies or even Pies I would be willing to bet one of them would be at Sandy...

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

BJ brownlow 09 wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Good to see ol' Rossco trying some of the new kids....Fair Dinkum, Geary, McQualter, Blake etc, etc.

Another Nuthin' year for the Saints I'm afraid.
:roll: Blake is always in the team which is what should be happening he is one of our most underated players he is great
Geary is also a youngster with a lot of potential...

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Teams STK vs SYD

IMO Mc Qualter, is a decent stopper and takes a good mid out of the game- last year he did the job well. You dont want your good players wasted negating. Blake kills Adam Goodes -sydneys best player and not playing one of the young guys with under 20 games in a match we start favorite would be crazy. All good picks. If you dont play young guys they come and go off your list never knowing if they were any good in a real game. Heaps at hawthorn looked average but Clarkson played them and they adapted.

Grrrrr
Club Player

Hmmm...

Goddard apparently has pulled a hamstring.

:( :shock:

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Anybody who saw the game at Shepparton against Richmond wwwould have to agree that Gards is in front of Kingy at this stage, as is McQualter in front of L.Fisher. I cant see how Dawson is in the team on his form to date. He has been very disappointing in the three games I have seen.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Anybody who saw the game at Shepparton against Richmond wwwould have to agree that Gards is in front of Kingy at this stage, as is McQualter in front of L.Fisher. I cant see how Dawson is in the team on his form to date. He has been very disappointing in the three games I have seen.
hard on over gards

hopefully he gets the premiership that is rightly his

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

What no Harvey!!!

Sorry but someone had to say it, it's going to take a little while to get use to him not being there.

milney044
Club Player

On the AFL side it has 23 players listed and there's no Milne or Dawson. A mistake or late change? Can anyone confirm?

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

It is close to our strongest side from those we have available and it is extremely versatile as close to half we could use thru the midfield (rucks included) - good to see Grammy come up considering he hasn't played too many minutes in the pre-season - don't why so many people have absolutely no love for mini - he works hard, has good hands, doesn't miss many targets by foot and tackles extremely well - with more games he will only get better - stevens and armo will get their chances soon enough - we need a solid start to the season so it makes sense to pick a solid experienced side

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saintly_safes
Club Player

Our depth is being exposed in round 1, heaven help us by the time we get to round 11. Really hard to imagine this line up beating too many teams , maybe Melbourne? One thing in our favour is that Sydney are not normally a high scoreing team so lets hope the trend continues.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

saintly_safes wrote:Our depth is being exposed in round 1, heaven help us by the time we get to round 11. Really hard to imagine this line up beating too many teams , maybe Melbourne? One thing in our favour is that Sydney are not normally a high scoreing team so lets hope the trend continues.
As far as I can remember didn't sides similar to this win 8 out of their last 10 games in last years H&A season

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

for those screaming about McQualter being named you havent seen any preseason games. It is not a case of favourites, simply armo and Steven must earn the spot. Not sure a team full of "potentials" ever won four premiership points.

Seeya
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I see Robert Eddy has been named as an emergency. So he must be right to go then.

I reckon Robert is going to be a long term player for us.

ThePunter
Club Player

McQualter named in the forward pocket has me thinking he may be playing a pressure small forward role. He is a very reliable kick for goal.

Gwilt is there in case Gilbert has to go back. I really think Gwilt's best role is medium sized forward, but I really think he needs to realise how strong he is. He wouldn't be far off Fraser a few years back through the lower body.

No Jack Steven really disappoints me, but I didn't have Geary in so that evens up. I had Begley in too, and I expect him to come in for Goddard if, heaven forbid, the rumours are true.

Dawson will go to whatever tall forward Sydney plays deep forward other than Barry Hall, who will be picked up by Blake. I'm not sure who will go to Goodes, but I'm also not sure where he'll be playing. There has been some talk he'll go forward, so I wouldn't be surprised if Sam Fisher follows him everywhere.

JEANLUCPICARD
Club Player

Looking very promising!

Loyal
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:.. we are going into round one without Hayes, Hudghton, Maguire, Xavier and Armitage. Not to mention there are question marks over Riewoldt and Goddard.
i think the thing with goose is that he is being saved for round three and four against the westies at home which is a smart move.

Bj i find a strange thing. he was late to training on monday.
Whats wrong with Armo? He seemed fine on Monday?

Is a week really that long a time in footy?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Loyal wrote:
Armoooo wrote:.. we are going into round one without Hayes, Hudghton, Maguire, Xavier and Armitage. Not to mention there are question marks over Riewoldt and Goddard.
i think the thing with goose is that he is being saved for round three and four against the westies at home which is a smart move.

Bj i find a strange thing. he was late to training on monday.
Whats wrong with Armo? He seemed fine on Monday?

Is a week really that long a time in footy?
Armo has a hammy so isnt training at the moment. What they did on Monday is touch training. Bj was late as he had detention or maybe he was in the clubrooms doing other training.

Just one question why would they save Goose for the WCE game?

Loyal
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Just one question why would they save Goose for the WCE game?
i see your point on BJ and Armo.

on Goose:
His comeback against WCE and/or Freo at home you would think with his early season history of injury may be a bit smoother for him at home.
I thought he would be included and he's fit, but there seems to be a conservative thing happening.

what do you reckon?
would it be easier for him at home against consecutive teams that dont have mids or to be included against sydney for his 100th on Goodes, Hall and/or O'Keefe?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Loyal wrote:

on Goose:
His comeback against WCE and/or Freo at home you would think with his early season history of injury may be a bit smoother for him at home.
I thought he would be included and he's fit, but there seems to be a conservative thing happening.

what do you reckon?
would it be easier for him at home against consecutive teams that dont have mids or to be included against sydney for his 100th on Goodes, Hall and/or O'Keefe?
He isnt playing because his form isnt good enough. He will play against anyone anywhere as soon as his form is good enough.

PJ
SS Life Member

I really think Gwilt's best role is medium sized forward, but I really think he needs to realise how strong he is. He wouldn't be far off Fraser a few years back through the lower body.
Good call - I'm always amazed this guy doesn't go harder. Could do anything but doesn't seem to have much self belief.

He needs to develop a bit of Akermanis style about him - not hair, just attitude. Take the game on and f*** what anybody thinks.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Loyal
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Loyal wrote:

on Goose:

what do you reckon?
He isnt playing because his form isnt good enough. He will play against anyone anywhere as soon as his form is good enough.
i'm not his biggest fan but he is a tall.
if his form is not good enough then fair enough; he's not in the 22.
i have no problem with selection policy.

Loyal
Club Player

PJ wrote:
I really think Gwilt's best role is medium sized forward, but I really think he needs to realise how strong he is. He wouldn't be far off Fraser a few years back through the lower body.
Good call - I'm always amazed this guy doesn't go harder. Could do anything but doesn't seem to have much self belief.

He needs to develop a bit of Akermanis style about him - not hair, just attitude. Take the game on and f*** what anybody thinks.
could not agree more.