GC17 Granted Licence...Lock Up Your Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

python
Club Player

this is a terrible move by the AFL. Its hard enough to win a flag without the governing body clearly favouring one side. The AFL is too concerned with stamping out rival codes rather than worrying about making their game better for the fans that support the game now.

The obvious goal of destroying other codes has to be the only reason why they are so committed to Gold Coast and West Sydney and not to Tasmania, a place which is actually desperate to get its own club. Hell, they even got a sponsor for the team! If they were purely interested in expanding the game, why not Tasmania? They are pleading for a team, but yet AFL wants to go straight into the stronghold of NRL, and a place which has only recently acquired teams in two other football codes in Australia.

Gold Coast have the titans, and the Gold Coast United team, does anyone sincerly believe that anyone up there has the time for the AFL?

And what happens if they get Roo? Buddy? Ablett? I for one will be buying a membership, but i highly doubt i will be going to any of the games. Its too easy for them to just come in and take the stars that the clubs have put time, effort and money into. They've already hijacked the draft, they shouldnt be able to hijack our teams.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Sorry - you've lost me. Outcry on whose behalf? The Saints? Or the entire comp?

St Kilda will be in the same position as everyone else. And as far as that's concerned, I think we're well-positioned, with a full list and plenty of young blood.

I made my point earlier. I highly doubt that GC will succeed in culling marquee players from the top clubs. Tell 'em they're dreaming.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:Sorry - you've lost me. Outcry on whose behalf? The Saints? Or the entire comp?

St Kilda will be in the same position as everyone else. And as far as that's concerned, I think we're well-positioned, with a full list and plenty of young blood.

I made my point earlier. I highly doubt that GC will succeed in culling marquee players from the top clubs. Tell 'em they're dreaming.
is this post in relation to my previous or python?

saint4life
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

http://www.realfooty.com.au/

ST KILDA captain Nick Riewoldt remains the Gold Coast's dream inaugural skipper now it is officially an AFL club, not just an ambitious concept.

Granted a conditional licence yesterday to become the competition's 17th club in 2011, the Gold Coast is poised to embark on an aggressive recruitment drive to lure established AFL players who are uncontracted after next year.

Top of the wanted list is Gold Coast-raised Riewoldt, whose name has been linked with the GC17 bid consortium since a second Queensland club was floated.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I have faith in Roo, he wont screw us over.

If we win a flag this year e can leave for all the money in the world, I really wouldn't care...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

I firmly believe that the only reason Roo's contract expires in 2010 is to scare the Saints into paying him top dollar. I don't think he wants to leave and play his later years for a young, developing team. He should be eligible for the veterans list in 2013 if he stays here, assuming they don't change the VL rules at the next CBA negotiations. He'll make a lot of money to play out his career for the Saints.

Gilbert has now been in Melbourne for about as long as he lived in Queensland. I question whether there's any 'go home' factor there at all.

The only real problem will be younger players out of contract who aren't fixtures in our side. Somebody like Armo right now would be virtually guaranteed 22 games in their side. Armo should be a starting onballer by 2011 though. I doubt he leaves.

I really doubt we'll lose anyone significant. GC won't be able to lure any star players. My guess is they'll be league doormats for at least a few years. IMO there's been way too much emphasis put on the draft for the new clubs and not enough emphasis on making sure they can compete in their early years.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

They get plenty of points for ambition. It's a good way for them to publicise their blueprint. But reality will bite.
...Downie has drawn on his experiences with the Brisbane Bears and Lions to demand recruiter Scott Clayton find a leadership core of between five and eight players in their mid-20s with about 150 games' experience.
They have an extra million to spend. Which equates to offering 5-8 players an extra $100-$200k on what they're worth, to entice them up to the Gold Coast. Nick Riewoldt could take it up, knowing he would be branded a mercenary and pariah for the rest of his career. Think so? Nup. I don't think they could even draw Sam Gilbert up there. I don't think they could draw Brendon Goddard up there, unless he had a burning desire for a captaincy and they offered it to him.

Come on... the equation is this:

Premiership VS Money

McKenna is completely unproven. These guys don't play football for a mansion on the boulevard and a garage full of fast cars. They play it for GLORY!

Didn't Buddy's press statement spell it out?

If they want a Riewoldt their only realistic hope is Jack, and only then if Richmond tanks this year.

Lennon
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:
If we win a flag this year e can leave for all the money in the world, I really wouldn't care...
You wouldn't care if our first premiership captain in forty years and best current player leaves the club?

Is no-one really attached anymore?

Would care a lot, but wish him well, and continue to follow his career.

PJ
SS Life Member

Riewoldt is driven by the fear of ending up like Harves - a superstar with no flag. He's even said as much.

If he goes to the GC that's what will happen!!

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Lennon wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
You wouldn't care if our first premiership captain in forty years and best current player leaves the club?

Is no-one really attached anymore?

Would care a lot, but wish him well, and continue to follow his career.
I worded that poorly, I would be disappointed, but if he left for money I would not hold it against him in the slightest, i would be happy for him to chase the dollar if he brought us a flag.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
happy feet
Club Player

GC17 = fizzer

For those of us that live in NSW and Qld, we know that Rugby League is King - followed by Rugby Union and then maybe AFL. You only have to look at the coverage that AFL gets in the papers compared to League.
IMHO the GC17 franchise will struggle, especially in RL heartland and troubled economic times. It will be the Brisbane Bears all over again.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

The Gold Coast could well end up with Riewoldt. One thing I know for sure: the AFL will move heaven and earth to get him there.

But I also doubt very much that he really wants to go back there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the only relative he still has up there is a younger brother - his girlfriend and parents are in Melbourne, and his extended family is still mainly in Hobart. I understand that most of his family (including his parents?) are longstanding Sainters fans.

Moreover, the GC club is going to be an extremely iffy proposition, depending on government support and - most likely - vastly inflated estimates of likely revenue from memberships and sponsorships. If (or, in my opinion, when) these figures turn out to be as rubbery as a truckload of Ansell products, I wonder whether the AFL Commission will continue to be as staunch in its support of this daft plan and the even dafter Western Sydney pipedream?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
rocksolid
Club Player

I have faith our club can do a deal that sees a 28 year old traded for 2 top 5 picks that would set us up for the next 10 years if Roo really wants to go back to the Gold Coast.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

you don't get any compensation if they lure an uncontracted player away...so be scared saints fans...be very scared.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

rocksolid wrote:I have faith our club can do a deal that sees a 28 year old traded for 2 top 5 picks that would set us up for the next 10 years if Roo really wants to go back to the Gold Coast.
not if he is uncontracted ffs...you then get sfa.....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

talk about a recipe for disaster....and inflation....

"
...But Downie has drawn on his experiences with the Brisbane Bears and Lions to demand recruiter Scott Clayton find a leadership core of between five and eight players in their mid-20s with about 150 games' experience.

He has ruled out players in their late 20s or 30s, but an exception would be made for Riewoldt, a local hero who has been earmarked as the side's first captain.

Clayton has already presented leading player agents with an ambitious recruiting plan the club says can deliver a premiership to the region in 2014 - its fourth year in the competition.

"Scott Clayton's main focus seems to be ensuring every player in the competition is out of contract at the end of 2010," Downie said. "If it works out, we'll have a few to choose from."

It is believed Clayton, the ex-Bulldogs football manager, favours Bulldogs Ryan Griffen and Adam Cooney, and Collingwood's Scott Pendlebury.

Former Queenslanders Brent Renouf (Hawks), Ricky Pettard (Melbourne) and Gavin Urquhart (Kangaroos) are also on the radar."

...this clayton pr!ck is trying to convince all player managers to not allow their players to re-sign before 2010.....