Round 5 Side V Port Adelaide.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintsime
Club Player

Robert Eddy In

I don't for one minute understand how he can be selected.

I hope he does well but.........

Because of the forcast weather ?

You have got to be kidding me ! You need BETTER SKILLED players in the wet. His skills are poor at best under the Dome roof. Falls over more often than Stephen Milne, can't hit a target or take a contested mark and has the goalsense of the Fremantle forwardline. He is about as dangerous in our forwardline as a telephone pole.

Because he is an athlete ?

Fantastic - Start training for the London Olympics !

Am I blind ? I just can't see his value in the forwardline ?

I can only hope he is played in a position where he can apply a hard tag and negate the influence of a Port playmaker, I just can't see how he adds any value to the side.

Obviously X Clarke does not have the same rapport with Football Dept as Eddy does. He would have been a perfect choice for this game in my opinion.

Still shaking my head....

I

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Side just posted

Emergencies: X Clarke McEvoy Miles
In: Eddy
Out: Koschitzke (hamstring)

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
bendigo bob
Club Player

very pleased for eddy. thought armo may have got a gurnsey also given weather forecast. i think this sends a clear message to x, and he may not like what the mailman has to deliver. ross obviously wants guys who are able to not only lay tackles but make them stick. i gather he would like a team made up of mostly "blue collar" players who can maintain the pressure all over the ground.

BJ has arrived!!!!!!!!!!

BJ's #1 Fan

Winner of the half time Social Club auction for Kosi's jumper Round 19 2005
Can we build it? Yes we can!!
starsign
Club Player

Eddy has been brought in simply for pressure, he is one of the best runners and tacklers in the team and Ross has said if you want to get in/ stay in the team you have to apply pressure and tackle, tackle, tackle.

It is this attitude that has kept Geary in the side and he is begining to repay the faith with an improved offensive output.

Ross is building a team around his philosophy of relentless pressure and quick rebounds and from the results thus far I'm backing him 100%.

IMO the Clarke brothers simply aren't going to play a great deal in our future. They've got enough talent to be walkup starters but their bodies just can't let them have a fair go.
Spot on Armaroo... Eddy is a blueprint player....he's definitely in that mould and fits RLs successful bill at present

bubba2

i reckon both burgonynes out gives us a very good chance, peter is so dangerous, the key is cornes on dal, if dal wins we win!!!!!

Go Saints Born and Bread Sainter
I LOve mY Saints
rexy
SS Life Member

Personally thought Eddy was very good last year, thought he cottoned on to and comitted to the type of gut run and preassure that we are after alot quicker than many others and is a worthy inclusion.

Dont see marking as a flaw in his game either, just thought that he got most of his ball a bit further up the ground than I would have liked from a half forward. This didnt allow him to put pressure on the score sheet.

Due for a breakout game IMO.

Maybe this year?
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Personally thought Eddy was very good last year, thought he cottoned on to and comitted to the type of gut run and preassure that we are after alot quicker than many others and is a worthy inclusion.

Dont see marking as a flaw in his game either, just thought that he got most of his ball a bit further up the ground than I would have liked from a half forward. This didnt allow him to put pressure on the score sheet.

Due for a breakout game IMO.
Well Geary ceratainly has improved since last year...so why not Eddy too...

Interesting to note that earlier that Lyon was bagged for not playing kids...but when he does that he still gets bagged....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bubba2

i have never seen eddy as such a star. He rly needs to perfrom this week

Go Saints Born and Bread Sainter
I LOve mY Saints
Maxy's Missing Left Foot

Ohhh FFS! Robert Eddy???

Seriously - the boy can't kick, can't run and can't mark. Yes, he has endeavour and can run. But Forrest Gump had that too!

I'm ok with replacing Koz with a small but why wouldn't you pick X Clarke who's been burning for Sandy?

At least X can hit a target by foot and hand not to mention take a mark. Robert Eddy can't do any of the above.

Unless he's been picked purely to stop someone then I think this is pretty much a wasted selection.

Go you red, black and white warriors!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Re: Round 5 Side V Port Adelaide.

ace wrote:
saintnuj wrote:Looks like Burgoyne did not pass the fitness test.
Rumour is they did a scan and found no brain.
Or heart.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Solar
Saintsational Legend

not suprised

Good solid team (remember saying that about the round 1 team)

The tackling hard ball side versus the outside efficient receivers

match of the round

dal needs to keep working his butt off because this week he has cornes to deal with

eddy needs to have 6+ tackles and work his butt off to keep his spot.

Can't wait to see this match, should be a beauty!

Saints by 25 points

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy will be an emergency until Gardiner or King are injured.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
rexy
SS Life Member

Maxy's Missing Left Foot wrote:Ohhh FFS! Robert Eddy???

Seriously - the boy can't kick, can't run and can't mark. Yes, he has endeavour and can run. But Forrest Gump had that too!
Stupid is as stupid writes Forrest :roll:

Maybe this year?
To the top
SS Life Member

"in my opinion the Clarke brothers are not going to play a big part in our future".

Two highly skilled, richly gifted footballers who are easily inside our upper echelon of players.

Simply, most players endure injury at some stage of their careers - even the greatest of them all, Robert Harvey.

So what are you going to do?

Trade them?

And watch the sides lining up - then watch the damage they inflict on us in opposition colours?

Fair dinkum!

StPeter
Club Player

If the team is picked on form then surely X should be selected.

He had 3 BOG's in a row with Sandy. I can't remember Eddy being

mentioned as showing any form. So where is reward for effort?

ace
Saintsational Legend

LOOK AT WHO GOT PROMOTED

Luke Miles is named as an emergency.
Luke Miles is a rookie.

Zac Dawson is also a rookie.
St Kilda is only entitled to one nominated rookie in place of a second veteran.
That means that Miles must have been temporarily promoted in place of a long term injured player (Dempster and Allen).

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
BallBanger
Club Player

markp wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
meher baba wrote:I guess the consensus at the club is that X isn't quite ready.
I think X is about as ready as he's going to get. Lyon just has a man-crush on RobEd
I think it sends a great message to X... when your chance comes, you're gonna need to grab it with both hands.
If he did as little as gwilt/eddy during his games would he not get the same opportunities...Eddy has had very little output with sandy to get picked while x the opposite..good form for x proves jack while form for other not needed.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:LOOK AT WHO GOT PROMOTED

Luke Miles is named as an emergency.
Luke Miles is a rookie.

Zac Dawson is also a rookie.
St Kilda is only entitled to one nominated rookie in place of a second veteran.
That means that Miles must have been temporarily promoted in place of a long term injured player (Dempster and Allen).
I'm pretty sure that unless they decide to bring him into the selected side he is not promoted.

on eddy,the reason he has not been in the best for sandy is because he has not played for sandy as the playing emergency

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:
markp wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
I think X is about as ready as he's going to get. Lyon just has a man-crush on RobEd
I think it sends a great message to X... when your chance comes, you're gonna need to grab it with both hands.
If he did as little as gwilt/eddy during his games would he not get the same opportunities...Eddy has had very little output with sandy to get picked while x the opposite..good form for x proves jack while form for other not needed.
Well then, Eddy must be training better than X and has impressed the coach and the selection committee :idea:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

X is a far better player, this was noticed in R1 of the VFL.....X was dominant and dangerous.......Eddy was hardworking....

Eddy is a good solid player in the L.Fisher mould who is IMO a VG VFL player, OK depth AFL player.......Geary IMO has the talent to be a 150 gamer.......rate him about as good as Gram at the same age......X is a very talented footballer who cannot seem to string games together..

Good teams have hardworking players (Coll, Adel, Syd)......Top teams have class and skill (Haw, Geel, Bull)

kaos theory
Club Player

Ohhh FFS! Robert Eddy???

I'm ok with replacing Koz with a small but why wouldn't you pick X Clarke who's been burning for Sandy?

At least X can hit a target by foot and hand not to mention take a mark. Robert Eddy can't do any of the above.

Unless he's been picked purely to stop someone then I think this is pretty much a wasted selection
Are you a troll or an idiot?

he can't run, yet he can run? What's that statement mean?

Too many people here seduced by 'potential' talent rather than players that can actually deliver on instructions.

For those who don't know Eddy had a big pre-season and by all accounts had come up another level before the umpire incident in the nab cup. RL is a big fan of this kid. Remember, it was virtually his first season last yr, and he was a regular towards the end.

Lets give him a chance to perform before we cut him up....

i think he will be a key player for us in the future...

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Baaah, I'd take Eddy too; am not convinced that 3 ressies games means X won't break down for the umpteenth time. IMO Eddy has the runs on the board... plus i think he's a harder running mid

With 2 Burgouyne's out, if we don't beat them now, we never will

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Eddy may have pipped X because of the weather.

If we were playing at Etihad, or weather conditions were going to be great, McEvoy may have got the nod for the extra height.

As I said before the season start, this game will be our first real indicator of how good we are.

One thing in our favour is that Port have a lot of younger players in their side with lighter bodies, if we play real hard on them in the wet, it may make them very hesitant.

Pressure, pressure, pressure is the key to tomorrow night.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
claystreet
Club Player

kaos theory wrote:
Ohhh FFS! Robert Eddy???

Unless he's been picked purely to stop someone then I think this is pretty much a wasted selection
Are you a troll or an idiot?
I would take an each way bet hes both.

:roll:

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Can't believe Gwilt is keeping X out, and Dawson is keeping Goose out.. Who would have thought...

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM