afl considers moving st kilda v cats blockbuster

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

"I like to move it, move it. MOVE IT!"

Benefits to the club by moving this match far outweigh the negatives to our supporters. Perhaps the club could find some way to appease the reserved seat holders but I'm not sure what...perhaps the preparation and experience our players gain to hopefully hold them in good stead come September is the trade off.

Order of priority for the club:

1. Giving our players the best opportunity to prepare themselves for the finals by testing their progress against the best opposition at a finals venue in a finals like atmosphere and crowd.

2. $$$ Money to assist with our bottom line after having to pay to play some of our games at the Dome. If we can't capitalise on these opportunities we may very well be selling off our home games against interstate clubs in future seasons.

3. Our sponsors & supporters, from the reserved seat holders through to our pet patrons.

4. The AFL...must keep in mum & dad's good books

5. The general football public, including our followers who can't or won't dip into their pockets.

Disclosure: I am an MCC Member so will enjoy watching our boys on the big stage from the member's enclosure. I am also a season ticket holder and socia; club member of the Saints.

Saint_Gooner
Club Player

I am not a reserved seat member so I can't really argue that point 100%, but I do think it's slightly selfish of those members who might want the game not to be moved, only because they don't want to lose their reserved seat.

Surely the team would come first, and for them I am sure the experience of playing Geelong at the MCG where we will hopefully be playing them come September 26th, would far outweigh the 'home ground advantage' of the dome. The way both teams are going there is a chance both will be unbeaten then, by which time I doubt top 2 positions would really be a worry for us. Therefore I'd much rather the challenge and experience at the G than yet another game at the dome.

I can understand it would be annoying for those who have payed foir their reserved seat, but if we win on September 26th I really doubt you'll care...

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Just one thing that really has not been brought up in this thread....

um...

We dont lose at the dome much.

It is our fkn fortress and we play it better than anyone.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Saint_Gooner
Club Player

bigred wrote:Just one thing that really has not been brought up in this thread....

um...

We dont lose at the dome much.

Exactly why we should move it imo.

Challenge ourselves, afterall, the GF isn't played at the dome.

StPeter
Club Player

From personal point of view I definitely prefer to watch from my reserved

seat on the wing at Ethiad than the crap seats we will be allocated behind the

goals at the MCG. Also we would forfeit our home ground advantage. Think

what a good win in this match would do for our confidence if we meet in the

finals.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

premierships are won at the mcg, not at the dome, so any exposure we can get to it before september will be welcome.

No1_Saint
Club Player

And we have been screaming out for a genuine blockbuster opportunity to prove that we can fill the G on the day as much as the others.

I hope it moves, Saints and Cats fill it to at least 70.000 and the AFL books a permanent fixture there between the two clubs every year.

Joffa 5
Club Player

bigred wrote: We dont lose at the dome much.

The Cats don't do too bad there either :shock:

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Yes it sounds selfish by me saying we shouldn't move because of the ramifications to me and other reserved seat holders personally.

I would gladly give up my benefits if my Club St. Kilda came out and says

WE WANT THE GAME MOVED.

But they aren't/haven't.

So far this is being driven by the AFl. media and maybe even Geelong?

My Club who most are posting will be the beneficiaries of this move are saying sfa about it.

Why?

Where's the 'push' from the Saints to do this?

As for playing the game at the G to get bigger returns, we abandoned future games in Tasmania with guaranteed money because they diminshed the chances of us winning those games.

Carlton took the money and played on the Gold Coast last week and lost a game they may well have won had it been played in Melbourne at their ground in front of their crowd.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:I would gladly give up my benefits if my Club St. Kilda came out and says

WE WANT THE GAME MOVED.

But they aren't/haven't.
i'm surprised we haven't yet and i reckon we will, unless we're worried about taking on the cats away from the safety of the dome.

but i don't think that would be the case.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Yes it sounds selfish by me saying we shouldn't move because of the ramifications to me and other reserved seat holders personally.

WE WANT THE GAME MOVED.

But they aren't/haven't.

My Club who most are posting will be the beneficiaries of this move are saying sfa about it.

Why?

As for playing the game at the G to get bigger returns, we abandoned future games in Tasmania with guaranteed money because they diminshed the chances of us winning those games.

Carlton took the money and played on the Gold Coast last week and lost a game they may well have won had it been played in Melbourne at their ground in front of their crowd.
The game will only be moved if we want it moved and why wouldnt we. Any reserve seat holder will get a replacement seat which may or may not be as good but for the good of the club this year and into the future it must be moved. Surely for one game you can have a seat not quite as good if it helps the club financially and more importantly helps our season. We may or may not win at either ground but one thing is for sure we will not be playing the GF at the dome.

Please all you people against the move dont be selfish if the club decide it is our best interest to play at the G and I'd be pretty confident the club including RL would want it.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Yes it sounds selfish by me saying we shouldn't move because of the ramifications to me and other reserved seat holders personally.

WE WANT THE GAME MOVED.

But they aren't/haven't.

Why?

The game will only be moved if we want it moved and why wouldnt we. Any reserve seat holder will get a replacement seat which may or may not be as good but for the good of the club this year and into the future it must be moved. Surely for one game you can have a seat not quite as good if it helps the club financially and more importantly helps our season. We may or may not win at either ground but one thing is for sure we will not be playing the GF at the dome.

Please all you people against the move dont be selfish if the club decide it is our best interest to play at the G and I'd be pretty confident the club including RL would want it.
Plugger, given that the post you are replying to quite clearly states, in bold, that I would happily give up my seat if the Club states that they want it moved, why the need for you to reply?

And quite frankly, until the Club states publicly that they want the game moved why should I or anybody else believe anything written in the papers or said on radio/tv that they do?

I get an email from the CLub at least once a week telling me all sorts of information.
If they want the game moved they can easily notify me. So far they have said nothing to me, or any other member.

HarveysDeciple

sainter35 wrote:I'm a reserved seat member and I think it would be fantastic if the game got moved.

Isn't this what we want?

To have our footy club playing games of footy on the big stage in front of massive crowds?

From a financial perspective it makes a hell of a lot of sense. It also sends a message to Etihad Stadium that we've been a very loyal tenant and it's about time we get properly looked after.

From a football perspective I would thought the opportunity to play another game at the MCG in a finals type atmosphere is exactly what we need.

I don't think we can expect a specific reserved seat but provided we receive a large enough area and we're well catered for I don't have a problem.

We're hardly giving Geelong any sort of advantage because they play every ground well.
absolutely..

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

perhaps the reason the club hasn't requested a move yet is that they want to see how we are tracking a bit closer to the game.

imo if we're still top or second, it's a monty.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

WE WANT THE GAME MOVED.

But they aren't/haven't.

Why?

Plugger, given that the post you are replying to quite clearly states, in bold, that I would happily give up my seat if the Club states that they want it moved, why the need for you to reply?

And quite frankly, until the Club states publicly that they want the game moved why should I or anybody else believe anything written in the papers or said on radio/tv that they do?

I get an email from the CLub at least once a week telling me all sorts of information.
If they want the game moved they can easily notify me. So far they have said nothing to me, or any other member.
Well you said in an earlier post you will not be happy if the reserved seat replacements arent as good I just used that post to point out that if our club want it moved we shouldnt be selfish about it. Sorry if that upsets you but i'm sure your man enough not to get upset that I used a more recent post.

I can hardly see a negative if we move it but can see plenty of positives. And yes I do realise we havent heard anything from the club as yet but when has that ever stopped this forum speculating.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
WE WANT THE GAME MOVED.

But they aren't/haven't.
EXACTLY, and so would I

I think that Greg Westaway/Michael Nettlefold should come out and state the club's position on this. At the appropriate time, of course !!

markp
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:perhaps the reason the club hasn't requested a move yet is that they want to see how we are tracking a bit closer to the game.

imo if we're still top or second, it's a monty.
I reckon yes and yes.... the G will be vacant so it's a decision that can probably wait a bit longer.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

[quote="plugger66
Well you said in an earlier post you will not be happy if the reserved seat replacements arent as good I just used that post to point out that if our club want it moved we shouldnt be selfish about it. Sorry if that upsets you but i'm sure your man enough not to get upset that I used a more recent post.

I can hardly see a negative if we move it but can see plenty of positives. And yes I do realise we havent heard anything from the club as yet but when has that ever stopped this forum speculating.

AFAIK, we (saintsational) didn't start the conjecture about moving the game. It was started by the AFL/Media and yet we have posts on here 'demanding' we move it because of .......
And then other posters make comments along the lines of 'I'm pretty confident the Club and RL wants it'.

Well please excuse me if I wish to wait to have this 'desire' confirmed by the Club rather than by posters on here who may/may not actually know if it's true or not?

Oh, and btw, are your thoughts on this matter from the perspective of a Saints supporter or as an AFL apologist/spokesperson?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
[quote="plugger66

AFAIK, we (saintsational) didn't start the conjecture about moving the game. It was started by the AFL/Media and yet we have posts on here 'demanding' we move it because of .......
And then other posters make comments along the lines of 'I'm pretty confident the Club and RL wants it'.

Well please excuse me if I wish to wait to have this 'desire' confirmed by the Club rather than by posters on here who may/may not actually know if it's true or not?

Oh, and btw, are your thoughts on this matter from the perspective of a Saints supporter or as an AFL apologist/spokesperson?
No we didnt start the conjecture about moving the game but again why does that matter. Hasnt this forum ever commented on things that never become fact. And my thoughts have nothing to do with anything but helping our club survive and more importantly winning the friggin flag. You know that thing we have won once and for your sake, mine and everyone else's sake we hopefully win this year.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Mr Magic wrote:I would gladly give up my benefits if my Club St. Kilda came out and says

WE WANT THE GAME MOVED.

But they aren't/haven't.
Whoa, hold your horses. There was some noise about this over two weeks ago.

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=51545

Michael Nettlefold has already said they would be keen to do it.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:

WE WANT THE GAME MOVED.

But they aren't/haven't.
Whoa, hold your horses. There was some noise about this over two weeks ago.

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=51545

Michael Nettlefold has already said they would be keen to do it.
Actually, here is the total story pertaining to the issue:-
GEELONG is keen and St Kilda would be happy for the potential blockbuster on July 4 to be moved from Etihad Stadium to the vacant MCG. The benchmark Cats and the surging Saints would accommodate an extra 30,000 to 40,000 fans on a Sunday at the MCG than at a sell-out at Docklands. Melbourne plays the West Coast Eagles at the MCG the day before.

Already there are suggestions of a swap of match venues (with consent from home clubs Melbourne and St Kilda). That would satisfy the AFL's commitment to play a specific number of games at each venue each season.

But AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said the AFL has not moved a match for "four or five years" and is hamstrung in any bid to do so.

"St Kilda is contracted to a minimum number of games at Etihad Stadium," Keane said.

Yet the Saints chief executive Michael Nettlefold said: "We are always up for playing games that the most number of people can see. I can't see a contract drama with Etihad. We are scheduled to play 15 games there this season and we played 14 last season. It is the AFL that sets the fixture, so I guess it is up to them."

Amazingly, St Kilda is scheduled to play only once at the MCG before this year's finals -- against Melbourne in Round 22.

Geelong chief executive Brian Cook said the Saints/Cats clash at the MCG would be a "no-brainer".

"We would love the game to be at the MCG," he said.

"Unfortunately it is not up to us. But to have a blockbuster with more than 80,000 at the home of football would seem a no-brainer."
I believe the most salient points in the article are the ones I've changed the font size on.

Nettelfold was replying to a comment from Patrick Keane about the Club being contracted top play a minimum number of games at TD and the story has portrayed his answer, IMO, to suit the line they are pushing in the article.

I don't read Nettlefold's statement as a request to change the venue.

Also I noted Geelong's comments. I haven't seen any public comments from him about moving any of the games from Skilled stadium, but then those games are Geelong's home games aren't they?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Sure, money wise it might be a good move, but I really don't want to give up our home ground advantage over them. Surely it would be St Kilda and not the AFL who gets to make the final call?

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Mr Magic wrote:Nettelfold was replying to a comment from Patrick Keane about the Club being contracted top play a minimum number of games at TD and the story has portrayed his answer, IMO, to suit the line they are pushing in the article.

Nettlefold is not necessarily replying to Keane's statement at all. That is where you are buying into the contextual placement of the quotes.

And unless they have misquoted Nettlefold, I can't see how he can not be talking about moving a fixture to the MCG, regardless of the context. What's the largest capacity AFL venue?

sainter35
Club Player

The last time Geelong lost at Etihad Stadium was Round 1 2007.

They play well everywhere. How about the advantage we might gain from playing another game at the MCG, particularly one with a finals type atmosphere to it.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Nettelfold was replying to a comment from Patrick Keane about the Club being contracted top play a minimum number of games at TD and the story has portrayed his answer, IMO, to suit the line they are pushing in the article.

Nettlefold is not necessarily replying to Keane's statement at all. That is where you are buying into the contextual placement of the quotes.
See, we both are reading the same words and yet we're both reaching different understanding. :)

You don't trust the story enough to accept that Nettlefold's comments are a response to Keane's and I don't trust the story enough to accept that Nettlefold's comments aren't a response to Keane.

It could be easily solved.
Tell all members in the weekly email where they stand on the concept.

I just have the feeling that we're (the Saints) being manipulated into doing something we wouldn't necessarily do.