Are we getting a little carried away?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Are we getting a little carried away?

joffaboy wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
But hey if you cannot enjoy the Saints..and act like a fan now, including taking joy in how they are playing...when can you????
I think you will find that is exactly the point I was making in the OP.

I never said we shouldn't take joy in our current position.

If anything I am even more excited by the fact that IMHO we can get even better - which is a scary thought for the other 15 clubs.

and yes...excited...but nervous too :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

I have not seen such a well rounded team and performance from the Saints in my short lifetime. Not nervous at all! They were 'fragile' and unconvincing in 2004 and 2005 even with the 10 run streak. I never felt convinced they would follow up their perfomances the following week.

I actually have faith in this current team - not something I have had a lot of in the past when it comes to the Saints. I was always hopeful, just never quite convinced.

GO SAINTERS!!!!!!!!!!

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
Our skills are still not the quality of Geelong. We still turn the ball over too much, and we still can go missing for periods of a game due to this.
Funny you should mention this bit about the skills JB. Had a guy sitting near me the other night bagging Lenny every chance he could. :shock: :wink:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

some of our younger fans might be getting a little carried away, but i hold no such fears for the playing group.

listening to ross's press conference on monday i have complete confidence in his ability to keep our guys' minds on the job and to stop them getting ahead of themselves.

the core of this team has come close before and would be well aware of the dangers of not being firmly grounded in reality.

the fact is that geelong have been the dominant team in the competition for three seasons (despite their shock loss in the grand final last year).

we are the hunters; they are the hunted ... a fact i'm sure is not lost on either them or us.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

I simply go off my nut every time the Saints play.
Every win is simply Euphoric... every loss, devastating (fortunately none of those thus far this year).
My job is to support as loudly as I possibly can... My job is to get in the face of every opposition supporter I can, and explain the fact that they are heathen scum bound for hell, simply beacause they do not follow the Saints.

... but apart from all that, I try to keep a lid on it.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

snoopygirl wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Our skills are still not the quality of Geelong. We still turn the ball over too much, and we still can go missing for periods of a game due to this.
Funny you should mention this bit about the skills JB. Had a guy sitting near me the other night bagging Lenny every chance he could. :shock: :wink:
What was this guy wearing? A (cheap) suit :?: :roll: :wink: !!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

aussiejones wrote:Agree "we do have turnovers. and we stil are not playing as well as geelong, but we are playing better then most teams at the moment!"

I am concerned about every game .

Collingwood was under manned and we struggled in the 1st qtr.

Lets enjoy one week at a time

actually...we are playing better than geelong at the moment...i have watched all of their games on replay....they are not destroying teams like we are....we have a better % solely because we are murdering our opposition...and besides we are on top of the ladder...not geelong ffs....so stop being apologetic ffs....

.not you aj.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Ah konichiwa Joffasun

We no get ahead of ourself.

We very good team for you.

You follow the Saint, you be happy long time.

You no wear kimono suit in Moorabin Wing.

Ever again!!!!!!!!!!!!

konichiwa

8-) :wink:

Griggsy
SS Life Member

one of my many day dreams was about this game (yes I'm a dreamer). Bombers came out hard in the first 5-10 minutes, beating us everywhere with their pace, so i guess it was a daymare? (like nightmare but day time, nm). But then at about that point the Saints adjusted to that game and all of a sudden when a bombers speedy had the ball running down the corridor out popped lenny and crunch. Restoring my faith in my day dreams.

I can see the game playing out like this (perhaps not to the degree of Lenny actually doing this...although that would be pretty awesome right?) But to us adjusting quickly like in the pies game. They had us beat for some of the 1st quarter, then all of a sudden the flood gates were open in the blink of an eye.

The dons have impressed me this year, but I think our big names are in top form. Unless Roo is doubled, expect another bag by him. And if he is the ball will spill for Milne n Schnieds. I can see this game playing out close, but then again ive thought most of our games would be close. who knows.

Khe Sera Sera, Whatever Will Be Will Bee, The futures not ours to see Khe Sera Sera.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Good thread Joffa I too have thought same and was a little surprised at an undermanned Collingwoods early hard ball/fwd 50 entry domination over us the other night. I didnt expect them to keep it up (something I am truly impressed with us on - consistency of pressure over 4 qtrs) and they didnt.

However, as others note I actually believe our defensive pressure is better than Geelongs and Geelong perhaps better skilled. I certainly think our midfield is going to have to battle hard to break even IMHO Cats have it over us here yet I believe our tall fwd options are ahead of theirs. If anything its their mid sized players that concern me - Chapman/Johnson are (Ablett aside) are the keys to stopping Geelong IMO.

Im wrapt with the way we are playing but certainly having been through "streaks" before I aint going over the top.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Carried away? It depends if you are talking supporters or players?

Anytime the players or RL have opened their mouths, they all talk about one week at a time and how Geelong is still the benchmark. They seem to be grounded, very much so.

From a supporter aspect, being carried away is what makes it so enjoyable...for me anyway

StSteven
Club Player

I am excited by what I see. We have not played this well or been this successful for years. So I am enjoying it.

There is no one at the club (including RL and Bally) who think we are as good as Geelong have been (we have done it for 7 games - they have done it for 50+. Geelong is the standout team in years. I doubt that any team will be as good and consistent ans they have been. It is a credit to Bomber Thompson that he has got his team to where it is and that others are wanting to imitate his game. It is great football.

However it does not mean that we cannot rise to the challenge this year. We sure as hell are in a better position than any other of 14 teams and I believe better than the hawks were last year.

For that reason this could be our year even if overall Geelong has a better record.

Enjoy the ride.

Shaggy
Club Player

StSteven wrote:I am excited by what I see. We have not played this well or been this successful for years. So I am enjoying it.

There is no one at the club (including RL and Bally) who think we are as good as Geelong have been (we have done it for 7 games - they have done it for 50+. Geelong is the standout team in years. I doubt that any team will be as good and consistent ans they have been. It is a credit to Bomber Thompson that he has got his team to where it is and that others are wanting to imitate his game. It is great football.

However it does not mean that we cannot rise to the challenge this year. We sure as hell are in a better position than any other of 14 teams and I believe better than the hawks were last year.

For that reason this could be our year even if overall Geelong has a better record.

Enjoy the ride.
Fair post. I agree with it all.

Hawks beating the Cats was bizarre IMO but and I think Clarkson deserves alot of credit.

As I said leaving the Stadium on Monday to my mate its typical of the Saints to come good now.

IMO the current team is the best Saints team I have seen in my life time. I am happy to declare it.

But the Geelong team is the best team I have ever seen.

Regardless I want to see us in the next 2-3 grand finals and we will win one + even if not this year. We should all enjoy the ride.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:

Regardless I want to see us in the next 2-3 grand finals and we will win one + even if not this year. We should all enjoy the ride.
Indeed.

And I can see us doing just that....as long as we can maintain the desire to play well.

Importantly we have enough new talent pushing up to IMO maintain the pressure for at least that long.....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
HarveysDeciple

I can only speak from the value of personal experience.

Have been watching St.Kilda since about 1991 or 1992.

It's the best I have seen them play easily in my oppinion.

Even counting 97, and 04-05 etc.

Some have been around much longer then me though, so can't compare to our other eras.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Saint_Gooner wrote:I honestly don't get why everyone gets so worried about not getting carried away and taking it one step at a time etc...

That's the teams job!

Obviously if the team weren't doing this it would be cause for concern, but I'm sure they're good enough and professional enough not to get carried away because the fans are a bit excited.

I think that as fans we should be getting right behind them, we're clearly showing that we're capable of something very special this year, and everyone should know it.

I know we could easily be let down, as we have in the past, but is that not part of supporting a team? I think so. The worse the lows are, the better the good times when they come. So get excited!!

Be proud to be following the Saints, don't hide and keep quiet cos we're scared of getting hurt, where's the fun in that?
Two reasons:

we don't want to be let down as we have been over the past number of years including 2004.

and secondly. maybe people think that our getting 'carried away' might affect the team. maybe ross won't be able to control how the team thinks. maybe the team wil lthen get too cocky!

i do think it helps that geelong is also unbeaten. everytime that the stkilda team twill try and get ahead of themselves all they have to do is look over their shoulders at geelong and see that they have won 49 out of 52 games.