Game lost at selection table

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
s*** while we are at it lets sack Trevor Cooley and bring in BM as Australia's bowling coach what do we have to lose
Trevor Cooley - Troy's secret twin brother.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead....cheers to Brian Collis.....you sure sound (write) like him. Cheers to Jack High Five or was it Mile High Jack...... cheers welcome back Brian Collis aka Devilhead :lol: :wink: :wink:

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
s*** while we are at it lets sack Trevor Cooley and bring in BM as Australia's bowling coach what do we have to lose
Trevor Cooley - Troy's secret twin brother.
Sorry mixed up Troy Cooley with Paul Hogan's disco dancing alter ego Trevor Dags :evil:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saintly_safes
Club Player

Time will tell but if Luke Ball is fit he provides imo alot more value againt a team like the bullies than Eddy but to give Eddy game time againt quality opposition makes perfect sense.This is going to be every bit as tough as the Geelong game & I just wonder if we are taking the foot of the pedal a bit & are resting guys that could play but are taking the cautious approach as we are near on assured of a top 2 finish & are putting guys that are part of the big picture into the fire to see if they are up to it when the whips are really cracking.Its a nice spot to be & the coaching staff have risen to every challege so far so I definately cannot question their judgement so go sainters

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 06 Apr 2010 1:32am, edited 1 time in total.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:I agree.......a poor selection...

Gwilt <GOP
Eddy <GOP
McEvoy <GOP (at this stage) but a fair inclusion as a second ruck....

No exposure for the accomplished Lynch, or the talented Armitage is not getting an opportunity?????.....

And Goose should just not bother training and start his pre-season early at Carlton...

Riewoldt may have three opponents....his, plus eddy's and Gwilts to contend with.....because they will pay about as much respect to them as England pay to our <GOBowlingAttack
Goose< GOP this year
Armitage hasnt played for 3 weeks and not even sure this week
Lynch young up and comer not quite ready for the big league.

McEvoy has to play as MG is fit. Eddy is in because Bally isnt fit enough and Gwilt did nothing wrong when playing in the ones.

It is the best side we can put on the park or do you think RL wants to lose.
Goose can't be that far away if he's named as an emergency...
Armitage not named in the ressies
Would liked to have seen Lynch or Goose in the 1's, hate seeing us go in with one KPF only, we just then play a boring running game, but hey, I will take the 4 points if we win, any way we can get them...would love to smash the Doggies though, something about Eade annoys me....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Gwilt <GOP
Eddy <GOP

No exposure for the accomplished Lynch, or the talented Armitage is not getting an opportunity?????.....

And Goose should just not bother training and start his pre-season early at Carlton...

Riewoldt may have three opponents....his, plus eddy's and Gwilts to contend with.....because they will pay about as much respect to them as England pay to our <GOBowlingAttack
Goose< GOP this year

McEvoy has to play as MG is fit. Eddy is in because Bally isnt fit enough and Gwilt did nothing wrong when playing in the ones.

Would liked to have seen Lynch or Goose in the 1's, hate seeing us go in with one KPF only, we just then play a boring running game, but hey, I will take the 4 points if we win, any way we can get them...would love to smash the Doggies though, something about Eade annoys me....
Armo is named so he will probably play. That boring running game hasnt been boring for me and having Lynch in the side wouldnt change that as he isnt KPP.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Gwilt <GOP
Eddy <GOP

Goose< GOP this year

Armo is named so he will probably play. That boring running game hasnt been boring for me and having Lynch in the side wouldnt change that as he isnt KPP.
But he plays taller than Gwilt and is a marking target...missed Armo when i saw the team, good news at least...

BallBanger
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Gwilt <GOP
Eddy <GOP

Goose< GOP this year

Poor performance guys...
Bigmart puts up his thoughts and because you don't agree you childishly shoot him down

If gwilt and eddy get games ahead of what we have in reserve then we have a very poor back-up if we seriously get hit by injuries
I think it is time to get games/experience into some of steven/lynch/Armitage etc..surely their skills are at a higher level.

At least they don't run on tram tracks like gwilt

I have never knocked a saints coach, does not mean I always agree with them...

At the moment we have many a graders playing great footy avoiding some of our players being exposed but come finals time?

Some of you must go to the games and agree with all the moves umps /players decisions etc because they know better than you

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

thought this must have been a richmond thread?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Our strength this year has been our relentless defence, and the outs this week, with Max coming in has not weakened our defence at all.

As for our forwards, well Kosi has only kicked two goals for the last two weeks, so if Gwilt can kick one or two, plus tie up Lake a bit, then we will win and comfortably.

If we strangle the dogs, like we have all other sides, they will not be able to kick a winning score.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Gwilt <GOP
Eddy <GOP

Goose< GOP this year

Poor performance guys...
Bigmart puts up his thoughts and because you don't agree you childishly shoot him down

If gwilt and eddy get games ahead of what we have in reserve then we have a very poor back-up if we seriously get hit by injuries
I think it is time to get games/experience into some of steven/lynch/Armitage etc..surely their skills are at a higher level.

At the moment we have many a graders playing great footy avoiding some of our players being exposed but come finals time?

Some of you must go to the games and agree with all the moves umps /players decisions etc because they know better than you

You're wrong BallBanger. You said

"If gwilt and eddy get games ahead of what we have in reserve then we have a very poor back-up if we seriously get hit by injuries
I think it is time to get games/experience into some of steven/lynch/Armitage etc..surely their skills are at a higher level."

Their skills are not better and that's why they are not getting a game with the Saints.

You say "surely their skills are at a higher level", which indicates that you don't know. The coaches do know and from what I've seen at Sandy this year, I agree with the coaches.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Game lost at selection table

Wolfpak wrote:With the absence of Kosi, we only now have one tall forward being in Roo.
The bulldogs will double tag Roo and we will loose game.
No Gardiner or Goose. Huge problem. Maybe Gilbert will play forward.
Again Stkilda you are going back to your old tricks.. ......
What is wrong with Gardner and Ball and why will you not play Goose.
Please let us supporters know.
candidate for the silliest post of the season ...ffs..... :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Our strength this year has been our relentless defence, and the outs this week, with Max coming in has not weakened our defence at all.

As for our forwards, well Kosi has only kicked two goals for the last two weeks, so if Gwilt can kick one or two, plus tie up Lake a bit, then we will win and comfortably.

If we strangle the dogs, like we have all other sides, they will not be able to kick a winning score.
spot on mate.....and...

anyone think the plan might be to play gwilt down back......releasing any ..or at times....all of bj, raph and chips down forward.... :roll:
Last edited by stinger on Thu 23 Jul 2009 10:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
BallBanger
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
BallBanger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Gwilt <GOP
Eddy <GOP

Goose< GOP this year

Poor performance guys...

"If gwilt and eddy get games ahead of what we have in reserve then we have a very poor back-up if we seriously get hit by injuries
I think it is time to get games/experience into some of steven/lynch/Armitage etc..surely their skills are at a higher level."

Their skills are not better and that's why they are not getting a game with the Saints.

You say "surely their skills are at a higher level", which indicates that you don't know. The coaches do know and from what I've seen at Sandy this year, I agree with the coaches.
sorry neil but i like your taste in music but Big Mart IMHO is a better judge than you all things footy

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
BallBanger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Gwilt <GOP
Eddy <GOP

Goose< GOP this year

Poor performance guys...

sorry neil but i like your taste in music but Big Mart IMHO is a better judge than you all things footy
Unfortunately YHO is nullified by the fact that Ross Lyon in everyone else's humble opinion is a better judge than Big Mart in all things footy :wink:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Game lost at selection table

Wolfpak wrote:With the absence of Kosi, we only now have one tall forward being in Roo.
The bulldogs will double tag Roo and we will loose game.
No Gardiner or Goose. Huge problem. Maybe Gilbert will play forward.
Again Stkilda you are going back to your old tricks.. ......
What is wrong with Gardner and Ball and why will you not play Goose.
Please let us supporters know.
Have you actually seen Goose play at VFL level? That might answer your question.

Gardiner is obviously still not right and the same with Ball.

Who the hell are you to question our selection panel? Are we not 16-0?

Fortius Quo Fidelius
S.A Saint
Club Player

lol just having a read of this thread it seems as though we have lost the grand final or something due to poor selections...some people in this thread have no idea seriously...we have not lost a game and the inclusions imho are spot on....gwilt as previously mentioned when been selected has actually played quiet well....he was not dropped because of poor form but because of structure....and now when a opportunity has opened up for him its sensible to think that he would be selected in fornt of goose (who i have my doubts over) and lynch who still needs to have another pre season as he is still young and we dont need to rush him in like other clubs do with their youngsters....

good inclusions by the ross and the match committee...gwilt over goose will not win us the game its about a team effort and they we disspoes of the crows last week after they were hyped up was amazing to watch...the same thing will happen to the bulldogs this week...they will match us for maybe2 quarters and after that fall away making it another fun time to be a saints supporter until the ins and out for next week :roll: :roll: :roll:

AP Erebus
Club Player

Obvious troll is obvious

it has been around this time that "Kosi" will headbutt a fence, rip a hamstring or belt someone.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Gwilt <GOP
Eddy <GOP

Goose< GOP this year

Poor performance guys...

Sorry I didnt realise I had to agree with bigmart. I was just sticking up for our coach and our players currently in the side. And I certainly didnt abuse him so where is the problem. Poor performance maybe but by whom?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
BallBanger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Gwilt <GOP
Eddy <GOP

Goose< GOP this year

Poor performance guys...

So BallBanger, do you agree with the OP of Wolfpak, as BigMart does, that we have lost this game at selection?

Or are you ignoring what BigMart posted and just defending his right to post his opinion?
If so, aren't others just as entitled to disagree with his opinion?

Just because you think BigMart's knowledge of 'all things football' is greater than other posters doesn't make his opinions immune from debate/criticism does it?

I would have thought that nobody's opinions are above debate/criticism (other than SaintBrat's :) ), no matter how 'revered' some posters' opinions are by others.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'd prefer to think that the game will be won or lost in the coaches box...

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:I'd prefer to think that the game will be won or lost in the coaches box...

I prefer to think the game will be one or lost in the forums

DON"T FEED THE TROLL

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

For those who care to see past names, a large portion of our scoring this year has resulted from forward line pressure. If we can get the ball inside F50, the pressure we build on our opponents by locking the ball in there eventually results in a turrnover and we capitalise via Milne, Schneider, Mini, Dal, etc.

This, for those who have missed the past 16 weeks, is a major reason we haven't scored less than 80 point s this year and have our opponents averaging 60 points. We are not relying on winning all the centre clearances and then having star talls take a grab and convert. Yes, we get some scores that way, but it is not what our success is built around. Hell, a portion of our forward 50 entries our via the opposition being forced backwards then turning it over inside our F50.

So answer this. Who is better at being able to provide that "lock-in" forward pressure, Goose or Wazza? I love Goose, and hope he has a role to play with us till the end of his playing days, but I want success for our team above all else. For all of his detractors, Jimmy is pretty reasonable overhead, has a good solid body that he is learning to throw around, has a great kick, and is quicker and more agile than Goose (agility is not the strongest card to play for either of them). He doesn't play quite as tall, and doesn't split the packs like Goose - but do we need that this week?
If Jimmy provides a hit-up target, helps lock the ball in, and separates the defenders, then he will have done his job, particularly if he kicks one or two.

A suggestion for those at this weeks game. Instead of just following the ball all day, watch what our forwards do when the ball is in the centre or in our defensive half. Watch where they position, where they run to, and how they go about creating options and space in the forward line for the ball coming in. We ended up with Milne as the leading forward target on a lot of occassions last week because both Roo and Kosi lead up to the centre line on opposite wings, thus dragging their defender with them. They keep visual contact to see who is best placed to lead back or to be the link-man when we regain possession.

With Milne not being the biggest bloke around, it indicates to me we don't necessarily have to obsessed with body type for the role that Kosi is playing, we simply need the best equippe dplayer to fit a structure and strategy.

To finish off, from what I have seen of Goose this year (on TV, not live, so I declare that here and now), he is not yet back to being the player he was. Had a couple of standout games as a fill in forward, where body type and maturity helped him in a second tier competition. Still has the tools, but is not looking like the player most would remember just yet.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt <GOP
Eddy <GOP

Agree 100%

poor selections,

almost feels like tanking,

I'll be very surprised if we win this game,

Hayes needs Armitage to come in and give him a breather,

Lenny's super human efforts week in and week out are simply amazing,

without the out of form Ball, surely Armitage being selected is a no brainer,

R Eddy is NOT ready, he's a liability, too raw, lacks skill and is at least two years away from deserving a game IMHO

I am absolutely amazed that Geary and Eddy get selected ahead of Armitage, totally wrong IMHO

I do have a very good feeling about McEvoy and very happy to see him getting more game time,

All in all, I have a very strong feeling that we will lose this game,

The weakest team we have fielded all season,

No
Gardiner
Ball
Kossie
Dawson ( has been amazing all year )

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.