How ridiculous was the Crows' Premiership Buzz??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

They had the game in the bag....I went last night and couldn't believe how good the Crows handballed and kept possession in the first term.

Their ability to kick 45 to 50 metres across their bodies off one step was amazing - they looked the real deal in the flesh and a genuine threat.

Then they did indeed go ultra-defensive and started playing "dumb" footy.

The Pies are full-on downhill skiiers - Daisy and Didak are the ring leaders - brilliant when the team is on song, duds when the chips are down.

Make no mistake - the Pies stole the match and will get stitched up by Girlong.

Was easily the best "neutral" game I've been to - and that numbers at least 50 now, being an MCC member.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Adelaide like a lot of teams, have been trying to emulate the Saints style of play -especially in the second half of the season, but none of them have done it very well, and when they don't get ot right, it comes undone.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I'm just amazed that the media are reporting the free to Anthony's which resulted in the winning goal as "controversial".

Why is it controversial? Because free kicks are rarely paid in the dying seconds of a big final? Rutten was clearly holding Anthony's arm and that's a free kick every day of the week.

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
yipper
SS Life Member

SydneySainter wrote:I'm just amazed that the media are reporting the free to Anthony's which resulted in the winning goal as "controversial".

Why is it controversial? Because free kicks are rarely paid in the dying seconds of a big final? Rutten was clearly holding Anthony's arm and that's a free kick every day of the week.
Anyone see that Crowlice fan after the game - claiming (in appropriate sooky voice) "the Crows were robbed" - "right in front of me!!" " right in front of me!!"

Funniest thing I've seen in ages - what a flog!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'm just still in shock that Leigh Brown and Travis Cloke kicked accurately :shock:

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Forget that it was Collingwood who won. That had to be one of the best finals game this old codger has seen. True, Adelaide changed their game (with disastrous consequences) but the Magpies played themselves right into contention and in the end had the result that their efforts deserved.
No good being one-eyed about it. As far as the Crows are concerned, well so much for the much-vaunted "supercoach" Neil Craig. With all the money and resources availaable to them, they are becoming bigger chokers in finals than their neighbours at Alberton!
I still believe that whoever wins the flag is going to have to beat us first!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
roxanne
Club Player

I am totally with the poster here - the crows have been talked up for over a month, all we've been hearing is they have 'the best forward line in the league' - well, most of them were playing down back in the 3rd quarter. Anthony's free kick wasn't controversial but Tippet's was! He goes down grimacing like he's having his head cut off and draws the free kick - does it every week.
They have had a couple of soft games and forgotten how the defensive press works, couldn't put it into place on Saturday and Collingwood were able to move the ball forward too easily. Easy to score, soft finals don't help - I think the Bulldogs will find that out on Friday night.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
gosainters66
Club Player

i HATE the pies but i HAAAAATTTTEEEE interstate sides more

SAINTS FOR EVER
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:craig coached appallingly

they went defensive about 2 quarters too soon

although they were one man down which with the warm night was critical

but it has always been the criticism of craig that he is too defensive
yep i reckon you are right. Where adelaide went wrong is that they didnt tackle hard with their "hard bodies" and wear collingwood down. This is what we do. First quarter we run teams around and are so hard on their bodies that physically they cant come back. I dont think last nights game was very physical personally
Too busy quantifying lactic acid levels in the little toes of his forwards and comparing it against data collected from Dallas Cowboys wide receivers in 2008. By the time he'd extrapolated measurable statistics the Jack Anthony had kicked truly.

Adelaide choked. Appalingly. Again.

And if nothing else comes of this year, at least we have that.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Snakeman66
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:Forget that it was Collingwood who won. That had to be one of the best finals game this old codger has seen. True, Adelaide changed their game (with disastrous consequences) but the Magpies played themselves right into contention and in the end had the result that their efforts deserved.
No good being one-eyed about it. As far as the Crows are concerned, well so much for the much-vaunted "supercoach" Neil Craig. With all the money and resources availaable to them, they are becoming bigger chokers in finals than their neighbours at Alberton!
I still believe that whoever wins the flag is going to have to beat us first!
Finals coaching record now stands at 3 wins 7 losses. Has a plan '"A". No plan "B".

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
Milton66
SS Life Member

The Crows, like the Dogs and Pies all had a great 2nd half of the season because they played eacj other and teams below them.

So the media was talking them up as being hot and the gap narrowing.

Couple that with our 2 losses, and these other teams looed even better.
Had our losses been mid-season, everyone would be saying how big the gap was between us and the rest.

Truth is that in the games that mattered, we smashed all 3 teams and just beat Geelong.

Along come the finals, and the cream has risen, and natural order has been returned.

Saints and Cats have been the top 2 and only contenders so far.

All the rest has been hype, generated by a media whose sole purpose is to sell papers and increase TV ratings.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?