Religious Question - Is it OK to Pray for Victory?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I would say it's okay to pray for victory as long as you have been practicing you're religion in some capacity for a while

If I was God and somebody only worshipped/prayed when they wanted something, I would view that person with contempt

SaintDebi
Club Player

If you pray and we win, don't forget to pray again to say thanks. :)

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Perhaps SS should organise a prayer group for Saturday?

People can bow their heads, cross themselves, face mecca, burn frankincense... whatever it takes to win this long awaited flag!
or you can Bowey their Rougheads, Daniel Cross themselves, face Rocca, or even Buddy Franklincense.....and the Saints may shine upon you :wink:

Young Georgie
Club Player

Mother Teresa who sadly passed away first week of the finals 1997 was unable to take her seat at the GF but remained our spiritual mascot - tragically it seems even the great Grannie herself confined her powers of compassion to the slums of Calcutta and Adelaide, in particular an inbred freak named Sharman.

If needed, not sure where divine intervention will come from in 2009...Father Ernie Smith at the Sacred Heart? Rabbi Heilbrunn at St Kilda Shule? Saint Godebertha - Patron Saint of Drought Relief? Robert Harvey?

Pray away - 3 Our Lennys, 2 Holy Nicks and an Our Father Ross should do the trick!

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Roo has noodly arms. Pray to the noodly one.

asiu

give thanks NOW ...(in advance)

bypass the beseeching bit , it's old hat ...doesn't work

it's ...thankyou for our '09 premiership flag

mantra that if you wanna help

trust me :)

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

two years ago i got the Saints jumper blessed in one of the most holy places in the world the Ganges river in India by dunking the jumper three times into the holy waters ... i also sacrificed my saints wrist band on a floating candle on prayer night on the Ganges..... i always though that 2008 was to be the year but maybe in typical indian style it will be a year late :)

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Bowey Boy
Club Player

Re: Religious Question - Is it OK to Pray for Victory?

Milan Faletic wrote:
Bowey Boy wrote:As a Christian, I am wondering if it is OK to pray for a St Kilda victory?

Clearly given the problems of the world such as starvation, natural disaster etc, I am thinking that perhaps my sorrow over a lack of St Kilda Premierships may not be God's number one concern.

However, in the last quarter last week, I asked for God's assistance and it was then forthcoming. A lady on the news has prayed every night apparently. Any views gratefully received.
Pray for all of the above and you should be ok. It may be easier to pray for every Saint player to play their best ever game because if they do, we will win.
Thanks for all of the advice. I like Milan's advice and feel that this is completely in line with Christian ideals. Suggest all others join in !!

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Yes Bowey Boy, it's okay to pray for a Saints win, :shock:

Hold your ground :shock:
Behind Play
Club Player

I just hope God is a Saints supporter

bigmicka
Club Player

I sold my soul to the Devil for a saints premiership.

mic

No one ever built a statue for a critic.
Ice Wolf
Club Player

Behind Play wrote:I just hope God is a Saints supporter
With the blasphemy coming out of Geelong (God and Son of God etc.), I just hope God's annoyed with them.

oh when
Club Player

More than OK

As I often pray for Collingwood to lose - I reckon it's more than ok to pray for the Saints to win.