trades?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milton66
SS Life Member

It's not a matter of getting thrashed.

Fact is, we've lost a golden opportuinty today.

with the Doggies and Magies improving, and the Hawks being fully fit... it's going to just get harder next year. And you can't write off Geelong.

We've had a great year, but we'll still need to improve by at least 15% next year.

We have Armo, Geary and Steven to step up.

I reckon King should either retire or accept a role as back up. Play Mac.

Milne is just too light and get spanked by stronger opponents. Time to go.

Demspter... depth player only.

Zac... will improve.

Raph... jury is out.

Eddy... depth only.

Goose? Possible trade bait.

X to come back in.

Club will need to decide if they do a big trade to land a good player.

But, we need another small fwd.

Sorry guys and gals, I'm gutted today, and maybe over reacting. But history shows that you cannot stand still in this caper.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Trade Kosi and Milne, well you've just traded away 90+ goals from the side, pretty hard to replace.
We do need a third medium sized forward though, like a Steve Johnson who will make it harder for teams to double up on Roo and Kosi.
I don't think we need trade anybody who played today, but we need to improve our list.
Everett from the Dogs may be worth pursueing, if we can get him for a draft pick, think that is about as good a trade as we can get.
Wouldn't touch Fev with ten foot pole, Gardiner had too move to the other side of the country to get away from his demons and to his credit he has done just that.
Fev just has to go to the local pub too meet up with his.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
henno
Club Player

Nathan Brown anyone?

Ryan gamble?

Recruit the best key forward in the wafl/sanfl/vfl/tac cup

JABBER
Club Player

trades

very good list we picked a lot of kids last year so i dont think we should be active But i heard through the radio interested in Everitt,Peake C Tarrant and S Thornton

trevor barker
ace
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Trade Kosi and Milne, well you've just traded away 90+ goals from the side, pretty hard to replace.
We do need a third medium sized forward though, like a Steve Johnson who will make it harder for teams to double up on Roo and Kosi.
I don't think we need trade anybody who played today, but we need to improve our list.
Everett from the Dogs may be worth pursueing, if we can get him for a draft pick, think that is about as good a trade as we can get.
Wouldn't touch Fev with ten foot pole, Gardiner had too move to the other side of the country to get away from his demons and to his credit he has done just that.
Fev just has to go to the local pub too meet up with his.
It is easy for oppositions to double up on Roo and Kosi when Kosi runs to the same place as Roo.
All he achieves is adding at least two more players - himself and his opponent(s) to the marking contest.
HE must lead simultaneously with Riewoldt but elsewhere.
That way he provides a second option and takes opponents away from
Riewoldt.
Even if Kosi leads into congestion rather than space opponents must go with him.

Silvagni has coached a bunch of clanger prone magoos -Dawson, Blake, Raph into the best defensive team ever.
Tudor has trained our small forwards to provide the best forward pressure in the business.

Now we need to train Kosi, he does not have much upstairs, but I think he is trainable.
AND properly trained he could be extremely effective for both himself and Riewoldt.

If we trade we must trade for CLASS.
We already have the backbone of a grand final team, we need more class to improve our chances of winning it.

Daniel Kerr would be my target.
He seems the only possibilty of class that may be got.
Salopek maybe.
Everitt can't get a game in a team that desperately needs a tall forward, simply is not class.

Kosi and Milne are definitely required to get us that vital top four place for the finals.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
hAyES
Club Player

We don't need to do any trading really. We should keep all our picks and develop from within with players like Armo, Geary, Steven, Lynch, McEvoy etc. and hopefully players like Gwilt can improve as well. And don't forget X will be back next year hopefully injury free.

reincarnated

Ralphy wrote:
saintjake wrote:ill get shot down for this,
but i would trade both milne and kosi for a decent FF.
who could kick 2-4 goals a game, and take heat off ROO
kosi tries, but he is far to inconsistant.
+1
except i wouldnt trade milne, because you need a small forward, think he does his job up the ground to, and i dont care if i get shot for this
but kosi is far to inconstant, and isnt good enough.
Idiot

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

xander wrote:
SainterK wrote:For goodness sake, we had the shots at goal, they didn't go through....this wasn't about lack of capable forwards, it was about lack of composure!
im surprised at everyone wanting to get rid of players.... the way some people are going on it sounds like we got thrashed. If we do trade i would think it would be pick or depth player for player not one of our established 22
Spot on

+1

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Schillaci
Club Player

hAyES wrote:We don't need to do any trading really. We should keep all our picks and develop from within with players like Armo, Geary, Steven, Lynch, McEvoy etc. and hopefully players like Gwilt can improve as well. And don't forget X will be back next year hopefully injury free.
Agreed.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

We have some young players who need to be given game time next year.
Surely, Geary will take the place of Eddy, and Jack Steven will give us something in the midfield and up forward. He'll definitely keep our small forwards looking over their shoulders.

In the ruck, we have Stanley and McEvoy, so we've got that transition covered for the moment.

Lynch has been earmarked as the third tall forward, so the challenge is to bring him up to speed, as playing Dempster and Gwilt up forward is not going to improve our goals per inside 50 ratio (which has been woeful for the past 7 games)

Hudghton leaves us, so do we keep Goose, or look for another tall defender? Blake will be 29 next year, so we need to look at grooming another tall defender to replace him (remember, it takes about three years to develop one)

So, our succession plans for certain players on our list looks something like this

Gardiner 31 in 2010- Stanley
King 31 in 2010- McEvoy
Hayes 30 in 2010- Steven (I hope Lenny plays at least three more years)
Hudghton retired?- Dawson
Blake 29 in 2010 - ??????????
Maguire - future uncertain - ??????
Baker - 30 in 2010 - Geary
Milne - 30 in 2010 - ??????

From that list, it appears that we need to focus on securing a key defender. We also need to develop another midfielder and possibly a creative half-forward.

I have confidence that McEvoy, Stanley, Geary, and Steven will all be valuable players for us.

The upshot is that we are in reasonably good shape, and in a position to give it a decent crack for another 2 years. We have one player who has real trade currency (Maguire), but I hope that he can resume with us in 2010. However, I'm not sure what our coaching staff think of that.

Our delistings are likely to be:

Hudghton
L.Fisher
Connors
The Irishman

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote:
Ralphy wrote:
saintjake wrote:ill get shot down for this,
but i would trade both milne and kosi for a decent FF.
who could kick 2-4 goals a game, and take heat off ROO
kosi tries, but he is far to inconsistant.
+1
except i wouldnt trade milne, because you need a small forward, think he does his job up the ground to, and i dont care if i get shot for this
but kosi is far to inconstant, and isnt good enough.
Idiot
+1

peter lockwood
Club Player

We need a another kp backman,a 3rd tall forward and more speed in the middle.I honestly believe that Lyon will go full tilt for it next year.Meaning trades.I understand that this is the last year of the uncompromising draft but it is said to be very shallow.We have a late pick that wont get us much.What would you rather a unknown quantity or the likes of a Everitt.Other players we have been linked to Mcmahon,Fisher,Peake,Tarrant all have some merrit of sorts.What about throwing Brown a lifeline and let him and Lynch fight for the 1 position.I trust Lyon do to what is needed and he will get it done.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote: We do need a third medium sized forward though, like a Steve Johnson who will make it harder for teams to double up on Roo and Kosi.
Taking your post and what Ross said last night about guys needing to take the next step and the name Tom Lynch springs to mind !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:
Griggsy wrote:I love the tiprat, but he is going missing more and more often. I doubt we could trade him though, who would take him.

Kosi I want to stay, I still think he can improve and perhaps at last live up to that number on the back of his jumper! Although I have to agree a true FF who kicks several each game would make our forward line scary and take 3 opponents off Roo in every contest.
Milne is a required player. He has developed so much more to his game this year including the ability to contribute to the Lyon game plan of forward pressure.

Kosi is important due to his ability to crash packs and create oportunity for small forwards like Sneider, Milne and McQualter.

What we need is to develop a new leading player to assist this forward line with more options. When Roo and Kosi are mobbed, small forwards must play forward, not up the ground to create the scoreboard and frontal pressure. Milne is needed here.
Milne is CRAP in September, barely played a good game in finals for us.

He is great over the H&A season, but goes missing when it counts - WAY too often.

Maybe Thomas was right.

Maybe Milne is better suited to a non-finals team.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote: We do need a third medium sized forward though, like a Steve Johnson who will make it harder for teams to double up on Roo and Kosi.
Taking your post and what Ross said last night about guys needing to take the next step and the name Tom Lynch springs to mind !!
Lynch and Jack Steven will add to the 2010 tilt, expect both to be in best 22 by season's end.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:
Eastern wrote:
Lynch and Jack Steven will add to the 2010 tilt, expect both to be in best 22 by season's end.
And Nick Heyne. He seems to be the forgotten man !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Ross said yesterday, "Success and Development don't have to be mutually exclusive".... I'll back his plans over anyone on here.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

players i want to see more of in 2010:

rhys stanley, jack steven, tom lynch, david armitage, ben mcevoy, jarryn geary, nicholas heyne.

not saying all or any are walk up starts, but if form warrants it they must be considered.

pressure must come on all spots.

older saint
SS Life Member

Assuming off field issues can be dealth with and a big if Lovett would be an attractive option . He has pace which always helps and can kick goals from the midfield.

Everitt for pick 18 would be ok as he is only 20 or 21 so not trading away a first rounder for an old player.

Forget Tarrant, Nathan Brown,
Peake mentioned inthe paper only would give up a 3rd round pick for him as a fill up.

Do not need ruckmen as have Gardiner, king, McEvoy, Stanley &McGrath (who long term looks really promising)

3rd marking tall- Lynch, or Everitt may be able to do that .
What i would not have given yesterday for one A Hamill.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:Bring in Fev....Carlton will want to get rid of him. He loves the Saints. And a strong leadership group such as ours can bring him into line. Example-Gardiner.

First rounder-He is not worth anymore after his recent antics
Just as a thought do you reckon that the Saints would offer Kosi as a straight swap?

Another opportunity awaits!
FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Moccha wrote:
#1GILL wrote:Bring in Fev....Carlton will want to get rid of him. He loves the Saints. And a strong leadership group such as ours can bring him into line. Example-Gardiner.

Just as a thought do you reckon that the Saints would offer Kosi as a straight swap?
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PJ
SS Life Member

Tom Lynch is seen as a hard-running Ryan O'Keefe-type.

I believe in developing our own.

We continue to develop youth and the future is always bright.
Saw a young bloke sitting next to The great Jack Barker in the stands and couldn't help but think how prophetic it looked - our future next to our past. Then at half time there was another kid who won the sprint - a ruckman can ya believe it, put a big smile on my face.

We're hurting now but the future looks good.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:
Griggsy wrote:I love the tiprat, but he is going missing more and more often. I doubt we could trade him though, who would take him.

Kosi I want to stay, I still think he can improve and perhaps at last live up to that number on the back of his jumper! Although I have to agree a true FF who kicks several each game would make our forward line scary and take 3 opponents off Roo in every contest.
Milne is a required player. He has developed so much more to his game this year including the ability to contribute to the Lyon game plan of forward pressure.

Kosi is important due to his ability to crash packs and create oportunity for small forwards like Sneider, Milne and McQualter.

What we need is to develop a new leading player to assist this forward line with more options. When Roo and Kosi are mobbed, small forwards must play forward, not up the ground to create the scoreboard and frontal pressure. Milne is needed here.
Crashing packs is not a game plan if you don't have forwards front and square. Kosi needs to take more marks and kick straighter.

Another opportunity awaits!
SuperSaint
Club Player

Moccha wrote:

We know Fev's dad and Brendan is a big kid at heart who has been a huge Saints Fan all his life. His favourite ever players were Harvs and Lockett. I believe and always will, that he would be a much better and consistent player at the Saints. I would have loved to see him at our club, it would have been the perfect "medicine or cure" for him. However, footy unfortunately does not work that way.

older saint
SS Life Member

SuperSaint wrote:
Moccha wrote:

We know Fev's dad and Brendan is a big kid at heart who has been a huge Saints Fan all his life. His favourite ever players were Harvs and Lockett. I believe and always will, that he would be a much better and consistent player at the Saints. I would have loved to see him at our club, it would have been the perfect "medicine or cure" for him. However, footy unfortunately does not work that way.
Kosi is younger, more versitile, and more stable would never do it.