Gwilts best game by far

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

very impressed with his foot skills on Saturday night, generally hits targets and is clean clearing ball. Needs to improve below the knees but big upside.

Was a late pick so love how RL gives young players time to develop over 3 years not rush them in

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:very impressed with his foot skills on Saturday night, generally hits targets and is clean clearing ball. Needs to improve below the knees but big upside.

Was a late pick so love how RL gives young players time to develop over 3 years not rush them in
I too like this approach of RL's, but I don't think this is quite the story with Jimmy.

He has had a body ready for AFL right from the word go and great footskills, but lacked a bit of confidence and also what some like to call "footy smarts". Further, because of his asthma, he hasn't typically been able to run out games to either GT's or RL's liking.

At the end of 2005, I think he was seen as likely to be a regular player in 2006, but then missed most of the year with injury.

Under Lyon, he has been consistently a fringe player: he has actually played in more than half of the AFL games that Lyon has coached. Lyon and other members of the coaching staff have consistently said that Gwilt has all it takes physically and in terms of skills to make it as an AFL player, but just needs to get it together a bit more mentally.

Early days, but he looks like he might have done this at last: probably at the expense (at least in the short term) of Raph and Dempster.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
spert
Saintsational Legend

JG is starting to move like an experienced player now -positive, tough and does some smart stuff. Like Goddard, some of these guys can take a few years to get it together. I wouldn't compare him to Raph as they are different kinds of players - I think Raph should go forward as I reckon he could be hard to match up on.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:JG .
He must have made it then...once a player starts getting referred to by his initials, he has joined the big boys :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Solar
Saintsational Legend

johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote:He definately strikes me as a confidence player and one of those that just needed games under his belt. Bit like a Harry O twin from the pies.
If he can be as good as harry O then our defense will be even better if thats possible!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:His kicking penetration out of defence is really telling - he kicks it 40 with speed.....has a good frame and is surer than Raph under pressure.

Id still like to see Raph Clarke be given a shot on a HFF......I reckon he might go allright...
wise words!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Badlands
Club Player

This thread kicked off a tad early.
It's just been usurped!

In my opinon anyway... very important tonight. Especially early, he was crucial.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Turned over a couple of kicks late, but plenty of good easily outweighed a couple of pressure clangers. His attack on the ball really impressed me. Really imposes on contests now, and that clinch goal was an ABSOLUTE GEM. Always had faith he might be a player but now I'm convinced he will be.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Sainterone
Club Player

Excellent game from Gwilt tonight.

Most impressed with his run and his accurate kicking (most times).

Have to be in front of Raph now for a spot on the backline.

Might be an opportunity for Raph to get back in the side on the fwd line now.
I think Raph might go allright in the fwd line.

But I like Gwilt in the backline going forward and kicking goals.

Very happy with the performance of the back line tonight - superb.

GO SAINTS

NICK RIEWOLDT - 444 GOALS FROM 200 MATCHES
STEPHEN MILNE - 440 GOALS FROM 216 MATCHES
Milton66
SS Life Member

Pivotal game for Jimmy tonight. Against all odds, he stood up. What a goal.

Go the 'fro!! :D

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:Pivotal game for Jimmy tonight. Against all odds, he stood up. What a goal.

he's been fabulous since going into defence, hasn't he. the stint up forward last year must have given him a fair bit of confidence.

Milton66
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
Milton66 wrote:Pivotal game for Jimmy tonight. Against all odds, he stood up. What a goal.

he's been fabulous since going into defence, hasn't he. the stint up forward last year must have given him a fair bit of confidence.
Jimmy has always been my fave fairytale player. Had tear in my eye when he drilled that goal.

I'l go so far as to say he's in the top 3 for accuracy by foot.

He'll be our "improver" for the year.

God bless him!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

My mate and I played against him back in 2004 when he played for Noble Park. Both of us mad saints fans so have always followed him with interest. Both of us always wondered if he had the smarts to make it at this level. Both of us decided after tonight that he's almost there.

starsign
Club Player

His last 2 games have been his best ever for the team and tonight he topped that again....wow! great stuff Jimbo! Keep it up and if a few more can take a leaf from his book and step up that notch, we are a big chance for the major prize!

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Couldn't agree more. Thought tonight's was his best game so far - rock solid.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Indeed.

I think we all nearly collectively dropped our load after that goal!

Milton66
SS Life Member

Iceman234 wrote:Couldn't agree more. Thought tonight's was his best game so far - rock solid.
Did you enjoy that IC??? :D :D :D

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Another ripped game from Jimmy, very solid and so composed....very happy he is out there.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Once again his foot skills are very good out of defence - NO FLOATERS and can kick a goal from 50.

Its all ahead of Gwilt how far he can take his game but hes got the goods and I was an early critic and never more happy to be wrong.

“Yeah….nah””
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt was excellent and stepped up in the last quarter. Showed a lot of heart and that will accelerate his progress. Ownership, responsibility, confidence.

saintstime
Club Player

I think JG stepped up when he needed to . tonights game reminded me of OLD school Footy a bit of Biff and baff, and JG stood up, I Like him up forward, he can move the ball well.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Unbelievable so far!!

I had so much hope for him when he first debuted only to give up on him, he was then tried as a key back and even scored a brownlow vote playing on BBBH, but alas I lost my faith in him again. But now I'm sure he's going to make it, you can not have that level of skill and not make it...

If he could really step up and make a back pocket/ flank his own he could be a very important missing link, a guy who can stop the mid sized forwards as well as be very damaging on the rebound.

I dream of a day when James Gwilt and Jesse Smith will both be fit and in form in the St Kilda backline... We could have Gram as a winger, Goddard as a utility and Sam Fisher as a swing man... oh the potential!!

Also I am loving all the G's down back!!

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
markinUSA
SS Life Member

I thought he was very good too. And long-kicking players are more and more important in breaking the flood.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

has taken his game up a notch this year , lets hope it continues. He's our fuzzy wuzzy angel !

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Once again his foot skills are very good out of defence - NO FLOATERS and can kick a goal from 50.

Its all ahead of Gwilt how far he can take his game but hes got the goods and I was an early critic and never more happy to be wrong.
i was an early critic and a late critic but it's hard to argue with his composure and smarts in the back line. i'm also very happy to be proved wrong.

(though last night he started off in the forward line and didn't make an impact - it's just not his position, get him back!)