They are not kicking it to Milne enough

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
SainterK wrote:It takes awhile to put it all together bigcarl, so I have only put together the last 3 rounds for now and have also included the small forwards output as well.

Rd 8 - 12 times - 3 goals / 2 behinds - 2 opportunists goals
Rd 9 - 7 times - 1 goal / 1 behind - 5 opportunist goals
Rd 10 - 8 times - 1 behind - 7 opportunist goals
sorry k, didn't mean to put you to any trouble.

i don't need to see stats to see that kosi has been ineffective this season in so far as kicking goals. he brings the ball to ground, sure, but is that enough from a ff?

the stat i'm most interested in is number of forward 50 entries turned into goals as compared to other teams.

i'll keep an eye on them myself if you tell me where to get the information.
No trouble, just time...

I love looking at stats, can't you tell? :)

Do you mean for our entire team, the total inside 50 and goals scored?

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:We cant use our forwards like Carlton. They are fast so they can kick to open spaces. ours are clever but arent fast.
exactly gotta play to our strengths and milne as a marking forward isnt the answer he lives off the crumbing goal he is at his most dangerous when he is picking up the scraps
Why can't Kosi contest more, so that he can get the spills and Milney and Schneids can pounce, with Mini and Steven applying pressure to keep it in.

We could really do with an Alwyn Davey.
i think Kosi is contesting fine .. it think the issue is when he get beaten in the air there is noone at the fall of the ball

we could really do with an andrew Lovett right now but hey we all know that aint gunna happen
I agree with two points, Kosi should contest more on the lead and not always jump from the back.

There should be crumbers at the fall of the ball.

I personally think Kosi's team mates don't have confidence in him at the moment and can't read him.

He leads to the wrong space and leads either too early when the ball is close to 50 or too late when the ball is on the wing. Sometimes he doesn't lead at all. I think he is causing confusion to the midfielders who are running up the ground looking for a Roo type lead to link to the forwards and that is why we are handballing more. Kosi has to know when to come up the ground and when to play deep. I just don't think he knows. Even if he leads early and then doubles back for the kick into space, that would be ok.
Up here I've been watching Gold Coast Footy Club go through their (early) paces. They have been okay too. Defensively they really have a crack, but they're really struggling for system up forward. They've been using Nathan Ablett as a key target and another kid called Charlie Dixon (incidentally he wears the no 23). Anyway my point is this. Everyone's been shitcanning both of them but particularly Ablett. But fact is he's been busting his arse running to ignored space, banging into people, and generally getting tangled up in a whole lot of really clumsy looking half-contests. But the indisputable fact is he's running himself ragged trying to be a key target when in the past he was always second foil to Mooney et al. Now I know the VFL is a far cry away, but I believe the principle is generally the same. Only we've got a big lumbering bloke trying to be Roo, himself and ruckman all at once. It's no picnic. And his effort is sound. I agree with the club on this. Once his effort starts getting rewarded - once a couple of pack grabs stick - he'll be a radically improved player, one of the type that was so handy last year. And to be honest, as a guy whose traditionally gone in bursts, I;'d much prefer him to be due to go bang in Rds 14-25 than now. Besides, talk of him not being there is academic. There is no one who can properly replace him. And King is over. So I say get on with it. Kosi-watch is wasted time. Go 23. Make them choke on their negativity.
I hope he can make me choke. Read my sig. Make no mistake, we all want him to succeed and I, and many others, have said that many times. So much so, that I am tired of it and the list of people is growing. He has to show something after 9 years. I will be the first to acknowledge it when he does it. Constructive criticism should not be confused with negativity.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:We cant use our forwards like Carlton. They are fast so they can kick to open spaces. ours are clever but arent fast.
exactly gotta play to our strengths and milne as a marking forward isnt the answer he lives off the crumbing goal he is at his most dangerous when he is picking up the scraps
Why can't Kosi contest more, so that he can get the spills and Milney and Schneids can pounce, with Mini and Steven applying pressure to keep it in.

We could really do with an Alwyn Davey.
i think Kosi is contesting fine .. it think the issue is when he get beaten in the air there is noone at the fall of the ball

we could really do with an andrew Lovett right now but hey we all know that aint gunna happen
I agree with two points, Kosi should contest more on the lead and not always jump from the back.

There should be crumbers at the fall of the ball.

I personally think Kosi's team mates don't have confidence in him at the moment and can't read him.

He leads to the wrong space and leads either too early when the ball is close to 50 or too late when the ball is on the wing. Sometimes he doesn't lead at all. I think he is causing confusion to the midfielders who are running up the ground looking for a Roo type lead to link to the forwards and that is why we are handballing more. Kosi has to know when to come up the ground and when to play deep. I just don't think he knows. Even if he leads early and then doubles back for the kick into space, that would be ok.

I love that our midfielders are having a go from 50. There is no use having 60 odd Inside 50's like we did in the GF and kick 9 goals. Long goals have been missing from our game since the PF last year and finally it is happening again. Those goals from Joey, BJ, Mini and Dal are team lifters.

I think in the last quarter last week we had 12 Inside 50's for 7 goals 3. Adelaide had 10 Inside 50's for 1 goal. How many of those were contested marks by a tall forward followed by a set shot?
If you want Kosi to lead then Milney cant be at his feet. That is the job for mids and HFF. He can only be at the foot of the ball for the high ball. It is impossible for a FP to be at the foot of the ball of a leading forward.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Noticed players kicking over Milnes head for a quick double-back. Like a set play. Remember it working on a couple of ocassions and creates doubt in defenders. If it comes off, it positions Milne for a snap on goal or centering chip. Anyone else notice? Is it new?

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Do you mean for our entire team, the total inside 50 and goals scored?
yes, our percentage efficiency (inside 50s converted into goals) versus the other teams and also number of possessions per goals scored versus other teams.

we mastered the defensive game last season and if we can build on that and improve in these other areas we can still win it this season.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 02 Jun 2010 9:41am, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:Noticed players kicking over Milnes head for a quick double-back. Like a set play.
i reckon that is a good set play for stanley as no one can touch him over 100 metres. i think his goal last week came from something like this.

sRs touched on this a couple of weeks ago and it had occurred to me as well.

rexy
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:If you want Kosi to lead then Milney cant be at his feet. That is the job for mids and HFF. He can only be at the foot of the ball for the high ball. It is impossible for a FP to be at the foot of the ball of a leading forward.
If he sets up in between the stoppage and the big man then yes he can be, FP is just a name on a team sheet now, all players expected to push up into the middle etc. I know traditionally the FP would be side by side with the FF but not anymore.

Early in the season Milne was a FP who was crumbing very well off the CHF in Roo.

Maybe this year?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:If you want Kosi to lead then Milney cant be at his feet. That is the job for mids and HFF. He can only be at the foot of the ball for the high ball. It is impossible for a FP to be at the foot of the ball of a leading forward.
If he sets up in between the stoppage and the big man then yes he can be, FP is just a name on a team sheet now, all players expected to push up into the middle etc. I know traditionally the FP would be side by side with the FF but not anymore.

Early in the season Milne was a FP who was crumbing very well off the CHF in Roo.
So he cant be deep when bombed long. Cant have it both ways. It is easier if the HFF and mids run onto a leading player.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Updated stats, we really need to continue to use him as a leading forward at times, it was quite effective, and makes us less predictable. His opportunity has certainly dried up since Roo returned.

Inside 50 target, his return, and his goal assists.

Rd 1 - 2 times = 1 goals / 1 behind
Rd 2 - 6 times = 3 goals / 2 behinds
Rd 3 - 6 times = 1 goals/ 1 goal assist
Rd 4 - 13 times = 5 goals / 1 goals assist
Rd 5 - 3 times = 1 goals / 1 behind / 1 goal assist
Rd 6 - 8 times = 2 goals / 1 behind
Rd 7 - 5 times = 1 goals / 1 behind / 2 goals assist
Rd 8 - 6 times = 1 goal / 2 behinds / 1 goal assist
Rd 9 - 5 times = 3 goals / 1 behind
Rd 10 - 3 times = 3 goals / 1 behind / 3 goals assists
Rd 11 - 10 times = 5 goals / 5 behinds / 1 assist
Rd 12 - 8 times = 4 goals / 1 behind