What if we dont make the 2010 finals let alone the GF???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:Anyone else not surprised that the teams playing well now were bundled out fairly early year early (Collingwood the exception)

The teams that I thought likely to be up there again (Geelong / Saints / Doggies) have certainly not peaked in the first 7 rounds of the season.

My general feeling is that Collingwood have closed the gap somewhat, and the Freo's, Brions, Swans, Blues....were all back much earlier to their preseasons than the 'contenders' I mentioned, and it will need to be proven if their form is sustainable.

We were thrashing teams this time last year, didn't help us much in September.
So why didnt that happen last year? We can look for all the reasons we like but we just are out of form at the moment. Hopefully it will come back but other teams have definately improved. The question is have we improved enough. signs arent great but we can only live in hope.
Why didn't what happen last year?

I can remember the greater footy public talking about Geelong being shaky most of last year, then they hit their straps just prior to the finals series?
Both teams were unbeaten after 13 rounds. What are you talking about?
I said most of last year, and my point is that Geelong didn't see the need to win every week to make the finals. There is no point talking to you about it....you just always pick for a word.
Well you were talking about slow starts to the season and I pointed out it didnt happen last year. Alright you win no side that made the finals in 2008 started well last year.
I don't want to win, I had an opinion that I thought that Geelong, Saints and Doggies had not peaked yet...
i am with you Sainter K and have mentioned this in a previous thread already.

Geelong won their first 13 games last year, but in some of them they looked shaky. Towards the end of the second half of the season they hit their straps and looked exceptional. So far this year except for 2 games we have done just enough to win except against a bottom 8 team. Last year we were in exceptional form for the first 10 rounds and then we fell away. I believe that the fitness staff have primed the team to hit their peak a little later in the season.

I would rather lose a few now than lose the big one at the end of the year. Some of the teams playing well now will not be able to sustain it, especially for 4 quarters against us with our style of play (a theory which has been proven this year already).

It only takes an a couple of injuries in the pointy end of the season to make things go awry for any team (Geelong included). We have played reasonably OK (with the exception of a couple of games) against top 8 teams and are sitting 5-2. Not too bad for a team with no depth and crap players, wouldn't you say? :wink:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Geelong were lucky to win a few out of 13. Most sides are but they still won 13 and we won about 18. Dogs were third most of the year and the Pies were up the top as well. Not sure Geelongs form was that good towards the end of the home and away but yes obviously it was in finals as was ours. Not hard to say that as we both made the GF. My point is no side took it easy or whatever you guys are trying to say early in the year. These wins early count as much as late. Geelong probably peaked around finals time because they had all these wins in the bank early.

Why would you play well in the first 4 games like us and struggle in the next 3. Doesnt sound anythink like peaking at the right time. Sounds like we are just out of form at the moment. Anyway lets just hope we get back near our best soon.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

/Henny Penny thread.

Holy shyte we are 5-2 after round 7...

Nut up.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Re: What if we dont make the 2010 finals let alone the GF???

WinnersOnly wrote:What if we dont make the 2010 finals let alone the GF??? Will there be a repeat of the Stan ALVES debacle ?

What if - RL and our match committee refuse to make changes until it is too late. LYON plays KOSI as FF for the remainder, who doesn't kick 20 goals for the season.

We have no kids ready to come through as they simply haven't been given the opportunity.

We have no ready replacement for HAYES or and out of form DAWSON due to poor player and list management.

RL will be telling the troops that ROO is only 1 player but they begin to question their ability to win without him under the current game plan.

Will people question the RL structure then ???
I agree, here's the plan I'd go with: PANIC.

It's the all purpose plan that never gets old.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
na exa
Club Player

Some famous coach once said "you don't lose your skills, you lose your confidence"
was that our timmy ?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage