X and Goose

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shmic_s
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:Goose taken at #21 in the draft

Steve Johnson taken at #24 in the draft.
Sam Fisher taken at #55 in the draft.

Your point?

markp
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
bigred wrote:Jess Smith could be in the mix for senior selection in the next six-eight weeks if he can stay on the park.
let's hope his body is up to it. what were his injury issues, can anyone tell me?
Chronic hamstring and calf problems, I believe they had to change his running motion somehow.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

shmic_s wrote:

Your point?
We still have Sam Fisher.

We dont have either Goose or Stevie J.

While we are at it

We dont have Judd or Ball either :wink:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
bigred wrote:Jess Smith could be in the mix for senior selection in the next six-eight weeks if he can stay on the park.
let's hope his body is up to it. what were his injury issues, can anyone tell me?
Chronic hamstring and calf problems, I believe they had to change his running motion somehow.
ah, thanks markp. let's hope that unlike goose and X he can overcome these chronic injuries.

shmic_s
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
markp wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
ah, thanks markp. let's hope that unlike goose and X he can overcome these chronic injuries.
These came about because of his ankle.

I may be wrong but i think he had problems with an ankle. Once he got back on the park he then started to struggle with hamstring and calf problems, which related to his ankle.

St Kilda's plans was to get him to alter his running style. Looks like it has worked in reltation to hamstring/calf. Just hope the ankle holds up.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

SMITH LIMPED AWAY END OF MATCH AT VIC PARK ON SATURDAY - but I'm sure he'll be fine :?

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

yes Luke Miles did play in the Sandy 2nds on Saturday.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

I was under the impression that not only was Goose not traded, but neither was he cut... essentially, in a manner similar to Luke Ball, he was offered a contract based on 2009, and - somewhat bravely, but totally understandably - he figured he could do better than to take a VFL salary to play VFL games.

It almost backfired on him. I for one was glad to see someone show the common sense to take a free player.

Not knowing how bad the foot is at this stage, he's still well ahead of anyone else from the OP's list of players. Even if he weren't to play again in 2010, he's going to come back to a starting 18 job at Brisbane when available, and has had a much better year than Zac Dawson.

Sometimes there's really no use cryong over spilled milk. Based on '09, St Kilda couldn't see Goose ahead of Dawson/Blake(IMO the guy who really took Goose's spot) in the 22. Goose had an obligation to himself to find an opportunity. Brisbane has profited.

St Kilda wasn't wrong for 11 rounds, and they're not right now.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
markp
Saintsational Legend

shmic_s wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
markp wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
These came about because of his ankle.

I may be wrong but i think he had problems with an ankle. Once he got back on the park he then started to struggle with hamstring and calf problems, which related to his ankle.

St Kilda's plans was to get him to alter his running style. Looks like it has worked in reltation to hamstring/calf. Just hope the ankle holds up.
Yep, that sounds right.

Let's hope in years to come we are shaking our heads at what a bargain he was....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

At the moment the only side in front is Brisbane because Goose has played. Long term who would know but the side definately behind is Sandy. I think Smith has played 4 games for 4 losses.

How anyone can say we are in front is beyond me. We may be in front but we arent yet.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:SMITH LIMPED AWAY END OF MATCH AT VIC PARK ON SATURDAY - but I'm sure he'll be fine :?
I think he will walk with a limp for the rest of his life. When he arrived at the club he only had about 30% of "normal" movement in his ankle. I think I read somewhere that our fitness & physio people have got that up over 80%, and that was about 6 weeks ago.

I said at the time that he could be anything but he's coming from a long way back. Yes, he's played 4 vfl games but I suspect that he still has a very long way to go before he is looked at for senior selection. Let's keep our fingers crossed that he makes it and the gamble we took on him pays off !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Beekay
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
shmic_s wrote:

Your point?

While we are at it

It's these sort of posts that keep forcing me to purchase new computer monitors.

COULD U IMAGINE HAVING JUDD! JUDD TO RIEWOLDT.... geez I'm gonna have to punch something...

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
shmic_s wrote:

Your point?

While we are at it

It's these sort of posts that keep forcing me to purchase new computer monitors.

COULD U IMAGINE HAVING JUDD! JUDD TO RIEWOLDT.... geez I'm gonna have to punch something...
Mitigate by thinking "How would we fit Judd, Roo, bj, Stevie J, etc under the SC.

Saints under Waldron would have been looked at much harder. We probably would have lost Judd or Stevie J by now because of SC.

Feel better?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Saints43 wrote:
ace wrote:
Saints43 wrote:
ralphsmith wrote:Honestly, we didn't lose much, we didn't gain much.

I thought X's career was over a couple of years ago. His body just isn't right for AFL footy.
I feel a bit sorry for X. I believe that if he entered the AFL system 5 years later he would have had a very different career.

I think we would all remember that when X came to the club he was fairly intimidated by the physical nature of the game at AFL level. The coaching staff then taught him to 'get his own ball' & 'take his turn'. It must have taken enormous courage to get involved in some of the contests he did considering that he was not naturallly that way inclined. His frame suffered in that environment.

In todays game he would be given a role suitable to his frame. He would still be expected to contest of course but it would be more on his terms. Instead of collision contests he would be set the challenge of tackling, harassing, 'spreading'.

There are far more lighter framed players having a bigger influence on the game now than in 2002-2006.
If X had come to the club five years later he would have met a superior conditioning team and may have been taught to protect his hamstrings better.
Instead he joined a club with a 1970's neanderthal culture of "just go get the ball son", "if it hurts just play through the pain son".
To be fair to the 1970's neanderthal culture of the club we did establish a patnership with Monash University Centre for Biomedical Engineering from 2001 to specifically target the clubs incidence of hamstring injuries.
Finally someone posts the truth about this era.
To say that best practise was not employed by the club during this period is a complete lie.
This facility that the club utilised was up there with the AIS, and in regard to muscle strain/tears the cutting edge in Australia.

Seeya
degruch
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:I was under the impression that not only was Goose not traded, but neither was he cut... essentially, in a manner similar to Luke Ball, he was offered a contract based on 2009, and - somewhat bravely, but totally understandably - he figured he could do better than to take a VFL salary to play VFL games.
My impression too, taking what the club said at the time. You can only act on what you have seen with an existing player, sadly the club wasn't seeing much value in Goose, and from what I'd read about his VFL performances, rightly so.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:I was under the impression that not only was Goose not traded, but neither was he cut... essentially, in a manner similar to Luke Ball, he was offered a contract based on 2009, and - somewhat bravely, but totally understandably - he figured he could do better than to take a VFL salary to play VFL games.

It almost backfired on him. I for one was glad to see someone show the common sense to take a free player.

Not knowing how bad the foot is at this stage, he's still well ahead of anyone else from the OP's list of players. Even if he weren't to play again in 2010, he's going to come back to a starting 18 job at Brisbane when available, and has had a much better year than Zac Dawson.

Sometimes there's really no use cryong over spilled milk. Based on '09, St Kilda couldn't see Goose ahead of Dawson/Blake(IMO the guy who really took Goose's spot) in the 22. Goose had an obligation to himself to find an opportunity. Brisbane has profited.

St Kilda wasn't wrong for 11 rounds, and they're not right now.
again this is the correct version of history.
Maguire did a pre-season with Carlton before getting picked up by the lions with their last pick. He obviously weighed up the contract offered by the saints and thought the draft was a better option.
Really the OP smacks of "i told you so" now he has gone down, but in reality Maguire has been very serviceable for the lions, and even more so held down the whole backline when Merritt did his hammy in april.

Seeya
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

No break in his foot, just something ending in an 'itis' and a rest of 2-4 weeks required.

rexy
SS Life Member

Both very good picks at that position IMO.

Maybe this year?
bigred
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:

And remember that Stevie J was a **** before he got decent.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
degruch
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
rexy wrote:

Bartel was ordinary too...these development players tend to have their lesser moment glossed over when they become champions.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

too early to call...imho...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:No break in his foot, just something ending in an 'itis' and a rest of 2-4 weeks required.
tendonitis. inflamation of a tendon in his foot.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
bigred wrote:
rexy wrote:

Bartel was ordinary too...these development players tend to have their lesser moment glossed over when they become champions.
2 flags and a brownlow and about 100 good games later. i guess its fair we forget their lesser moments by now...

good discussion, but sheesh ill get a lot of pleasure if jesse w comes good!
imagine of we get 100 games out of him?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

A bloke in the hawks footy department told me that Smith will be a gun - for about 70-80 games and then they expect he'll need to retire prematurely. REckons his injuries are chronic and he's destined for a life of pain. Let's hope we get 3-4 good yrs out of him at least.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

X taken at #5 in the draft
Jimmy Bartel taken at #8 in the draft

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM