noddy sheahan is starting to really annoy me

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think the AFL journo tools just had the two in the Granny and are unable to see any other scenario. They all tipped it so it has to come true.

I can't believe how many Geelong supporters believe that they got an unfair run from the umpires. Maybe the teams selected by journalists should be allowed to play as many games they need to win through to the grand final -teams that are not hand picked make up numbers and provide a handy training role for geelong and collingwood.

It would be great for the afl if it was like english premier league where the same team wins every season and occasionally a challenger comes up to upset the apple cart.

goodie
Club Player

This "best team all year" garbage annoys me. They didn't get to the top of the ladder until round 7, lost top spot in round 9 then hovered around 2nd/3rd until round 15. In other words they were on top of the ladder for less than half the year.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I like On The Couch but Mike 'Collingwood' Sheanan seems to have a chip on this shoulder about the Pies and their 'rewards' for finishing minor premiers.

It's almost as if he feels they should just be handed the flag. First, he felt that a qualifying final against the Bulldogs wasn't a a good enough advantage, due to both qualifiers being held at the G. The top four were all Victorian teams, what would have been fairer? Promote Sydney to fourth spot, just so the Pies could earn a 'real' home advantage? Or promote them straight to the prelim?

Now he argues that it isn't fair that they have to play the second best team of the year in a prelim. The concept that they should be able to play the Dogs again to get an armchair ride to the granny is ludicrous. I'd like to see his reaction if the AFL entertained such dribble and Pies actually lost to the Dogs. He would probably argue that the Pies should have been able to go straight to the big dance, based on the fact that they were minor premiers.

Maybe he's just dirty that it wont be a Cats and Pies grand final. If the Pies make the grand final and lose, look for his opinion piece that argues the AFL should entertain adopting the EPL's concept, the team that finishes first wins the comp, because it is so unfair to the Pies.

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Well they finished on top, so I'm not sure how they could NOT be considered the best team? Who cares, we were the best team all year last year, but finals is a different season.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood should win easily on Friday. They're playing a team that couldn't even beat St Kilda FFS.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Look for more saints bashing coming who ever gets through. I am hearing so much "who ever wins on friday wins the GF" from supporters. If we win the GF it will be all luck, and a few decisions will be picked apart in the media.

I watched the replay of Hawks Geelong Gf the other day and the umpires gave geelong every opportunity to win that because they obviously believed them better.

They should play that game to the Saints to show how to make the most of opportunity. We probably need to just really knuckle down and drill the belief that what ever comes, just go out and take the game on.

bozza1980
Club Player

What I don't understand is why we are hearing this now like it's something new.

It's the 11th time this finals format has been used!!

Before the 1st weekend of the finals we had Mike complaining that Collingwood had no real reward for finishing 1st against the Bulldogs 4th place finish.

For some reason he didn't have the same concern last year when Collingwood were on the receiving end of the same advantage.

What they have failed to note, is that Geelong stopped being considered the number 2 seed when we beat them.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
westy
Club Player

The advantage Collingwood have as being the top side is they dont have to play themself. That is advantage in itself.

Well, they should play themselves. God knows they have enough practice playing with themselves!

I'm livin' in a madhouse
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Meh, the Collingwood reflex has kicked in, for AND against.

Could the system be fairer? Probably, and so it's a conversation worth having. Should it be that Collingwood being impacted actually starts the conversation, probably not - but it's not Collingwood that finishes the conversation, so that's fine.

I wouldn't really have an issue with redrawing the games week-to-week to reflect ladder, so talk about it.

The elephant in the room has to be the MCG though. Under the current system, those who use the MCG as their home ground have an edge come finals.

Collingwood (or Hawthorn, or Melbourne...) don't get much sympathy from me. For the last 2 years, the Saints - the best team of the last decade at Etihad - have played their "home" finals against the Pies at the MCG. Until the MCG is used ONLY for it's seating, and not as a club's home ground, the system isn't going to be fair.

So let's have the discussion...

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Apparently whoever wins on Friday night will be given the premiership cup then and there and we dont have to bother about the second PF or the GF.

I mean Mike Sheahan has said so, so I dont understand why you people are even discussing it.

keep underestimating us.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

What they have failed to note, is that Geelong stopped being considered the number 2 seed when we beat them
exactly right.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Mike Sheehan is:

<<<<<A DUMBASS>>>>>>>>>>

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I can see his point, actually.

What he's saying is that Collingwood are meant to get the easiest draw because of them finishing on top (4th in the QF, 3rd in the PF, 2 in the GF) - which is entirely the point of finishing on top.

Now, because we've beaten Geelong, we're the ones with a much greater advantage.

In essence, his argument is that if you finish 3rd or 4th in the finals and WIN in week one, you're guaranteed to have the easiest draw. Is that fair? Well, not really - the top team should have the easiest draw. But in our system, it doesn't work like that.

It's a valid point to make. However, the execution to rectify is almost impossible. It would be a logistical nightmare and would negate the point of winning in week one.

So don't worry about it. Mike isn't advocating a change, he's just pointing out that we've ended up with the better draw - despite having a worse season and winning our final by a debatable free kick - than Collingwood.

And when it's all said and done, that's finals. And it doesn't matter about excuses, it matters about winning.

So just win it, Saints.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

roxanne
Club Player

I remember thinking the same thing last year..... assuming you win the first final, finishing second or third is better than finishing 1st.
Finishing first will usually give you a prelim against the best of the remaining finalists....as it did for us last year....and a tougher game going into the GF.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
Badlands
Club Player

Whatever your thoughts on the current AFL finals system... spare a thought for the poor buggers who have to cop the NRL's outrageously unjust system.

This Friday night - the 2nd week of the finals, the 3rd placed Wests Tigers, will travel here to Canberra to meet the 7th placed Raiders, who only snuck into the 8 with a win in the final week of the competition.

Raiders won in the first week of the finals, and Tigers lost, obviously. But home ground advantage goes to the winner, it is not based on ladder positions. Doesn't matter if you finish top 4, lose your first final and you forfeit any advantage gained over 26 rounds of competition.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Too bad so sad to Collingwood.

Hell, why don't we just give them the flag now FFS!!

Would there be all this uproar for the poor old pies if they were to face us instead of Geelong? No, I don't think so. Like to know where our sympathy vote was last year? Hard tough prelim against the Bulldogs and I didn't hear anyone saying how unfair that was to us going into the GF.

You have to play the best sides to make it to a Grand Final. The draw falls the way that it will. We beat Geelong so now they have to meet them. Collingwood have already had 2 weeks off (may as well have had a bye the week they played the Dogs). So really, how would you like to change it? The team that finishes first automatically goes to the GF and doesn't play another game? There's equality for ya'!

Must be a really slow news week for Sheehan to be spewing this type of garbage.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

It's in the interests of media people to promote the filth at all opportunities... it sells papers, rates on telly & radio and having the filth army on your side is better than the alternative.

Noddy is a well known bandwagon jumper... watch him over the next few weeks, he will contradict himself 4 or 5 times & should we get up, he'll be our greatest supporter in the media.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Was there uproar last year?

If so, I can't recall it.

To be honest I don't give a f*** beyond smashing the bejeesus at of Footscray...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Q5
Club Player

Eddie will want us to go back to the 'good old days' where the team that finished top of the ladder could 'challenge' the team that beat them in the final and if they won, would be declared premiers... (For those few who don't know, this is how we were ROBBED of our first cup in 1913!)

noob
Club Player

If your the top team who gives a stuff who you play.. being the top team after the home and away season you should think that you can beat anyone.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Journalists are paid to go on with this sort of nonsense. Hence you get rubbish like Gwilt's free kick "robbed" Geelong or that the Pies shouldn't have to play Geelong this weekend.

They're just "creating" controversy where it doesn't really exist. I'm Sheahan doesn't mean a word of it and is perfectly aware that any change to the current finals system would create as many problems as it would "solve".

Too few "experts" are needed to front too many TV shows with too little to talk about. The same thing is happening with politics.

Nobody wants to buy newspapers any more, so the journos seem to be moving into a kind of circular neverland in which they all endlessly interview each other about what each other said.

I'd rather read a book than watch any of that nonsense. Personally, I'm looking forward to watching some actual football on my telly, with the sound turned down (at least for Channel 10, I can just about tolerate the more intelligent and knowledgable bunch on Channel 7).

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:I've got to chime in here....

I don't know where this idea that the top team gets a reward has come from?

Was there a rule once upon a time that said this is the case? Because in the entire time I've been following footy, there it has never been the case.
There used to be the 'challenge rule' whereby a team that finished the H&A season on top, but lost the GF, had the 'right' to challenge the team who did win the GF to a replay the following week - winner to be declared premiers.
It happened to us in 1913 when we beat Fitzroy in the GF, they challenged us, and then won the following week.
That was our last GF appearance until 1965.

Not sure when the 'challenge rule' was disposed of?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cant stand Sheahan. Has an opinion that doesnt suit some people and also makes it so obviously he follows the Pies. No wonder no one buys the paper.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Cant stand Sheahan. Has an opinion that doesnt suit some people and also makes it so obviously he follows the Pies. No wonder no one buys the paper.
go to: theage.com :wink:

bozza1980
Club Player

Badlands wrote:Whatever your thoughts on the current AFL finals system... spare a thought for the poor buggers who have to cop the NRL's outrageously unjust system.

This Friday night - the 2nd week of the finals, the 3rd placed Wests Tigers, will travel here to Canberra to meet the 7th placed Raiders, who only snuck into the 8 with a win in the final week of the competition.

Raiders won in the first week of the finals, and Tigers lost, obviously. But home ground advantage goes to the winner, it is not based on ladder positions. Doesn't matter if you finish top 4, lose your first final and you forfeit any advantage gained over 26 rounds of competition.
The NRL's system used to be the AFL's system from 1994-1999.

I don't mind it, it heavily rewards the top 2 teams if they win but punishes everyone if you lose.

The Wests Tigers had they won last week would have qualified for a home prelim, because they lost they stay alive but only just.

Canberra in week 1 played away against the 2nd best side of the season, had they lost they were out, because they won they stay alive and host a final.

In my mind this is fair and not a flaw. If you want a flaw it shows itself when teams 1 - 4 win in the first week, effectively two finals in the first week were played for no reason week 1 3 would have played 6 and 4 V 5 and in week 2, it would be 3 v 5 and 4 v 6.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.