New Linen House facility in Seaford - update and video

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintlee
Club Player

Beej wrote:
saintlee wrote:
Beej wrote:Once everyone has their new training ground, sadly ours will still probably be bottom four.
Why do you say this? Our new facilities look impressive, what's wrong with them?
I've read on here that, cost of the land aside, our facility itself will be the cheapest of all the new training centres.

Generally you get what you pay for, no?
Our facilities are a different case though, as we were starting from a blank canvas. I'm pretty sure that all the others were redevelopments to existing facilities.

My understanding is we got the best deal of all the Vic clubs, not that we got a second-rate facility.

I can't say with any authority, because I really don't know how good they will be, but the only people I've heard say the new facility is no good are those anti-seaford types.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

saintlee wrote:the only people I've heard say the new facility is no good are those anti-seaford types.
spot on. of which b4rkinmad is an anti-seaford/anti-progress person.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

ChicagoSaint wrote:1. visy is a d-u-m-p. the grandstands are a throwback to a bygone era. in terms of the whole complex it is bound by heritage listing. visy will not ever be an elite facility.
Carlton haven't played a game there since, what, 2005?! Therefore, what do the bloody grandstands have to do with the training centre you bell-end LOL

Carlton spent $19.5m on their training ground, I believe ours will cost 11 million.

I think it's fair to say ours won't be at the same level as theirs.

What could 8 million buy you these days? Well, it would probably be enough to get you a brain transplant and a one-way ticket back to Chicago, you absolute wrong'un.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:
Beej wrote:
saintlee wrote:
Beej wrote:Once everyone has their new training ground, sadly ours will still probably be bottom four.
Why do you say this? Our new facilities look impressive, what's wrong with them?
I've read on here that, cost of the land aside, our facility itself will be the cheapest of all the new training centres.

Generally you get what you pay for, no?
Our facilities are a different case though, as we were starting from a blank canvas. I'm pretty sure that all the others were redevelopments to existing facilities.

My understanding is we got the best deal of all the Vic clubs, not that we got a second-rate facility.

I can't say with any authority, because I really don't know how good they will be, but the only people I've heard say the new facility is no good are those anti-seaford types.
I wouldn't class myself as anti-Seaford. I'm anti-Moorabbin in the shape it's in now. TBH I can't wait till we move out of that dump.

I rarely get down there as it is. Last time I was there would've been grand final week last year.

saintlee
Club Player

Beej wrote:I'm anti-Moorabbin in the shape it's in now. TBH I can't wait till we move out of that dump.
This sums me up too. I don't care where we move to, as long as we have first class facilities, and the new Seaford training base will be a vast improvement on Moorabbin even if it is in a less desirable location.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Beej wrote:
ChicagoSaint wrote:1. visy is a d-u-m-p. the grandstands are a throwback to a bygone era. in terms of the whole complex it is bound by heritage listing. visy will not ever be an elite facility.
Carlton haven't played a game there since, what, 2005?! Therefore, what do the bloody grandstands have to do with the training centre you bell-end LOL

Carlton spent $19.5m on their training ground, I believe ours will cost 11 million.

What could 8 million buy you these days? Well, it would probably be enough to get you a brain transplant and a one-way ticket back to Chicago, you absolute wrong'un.
LOL you really are a fruit short of a salad.

ask me this: you're an AFL star ChicagoSaint where would you rather train mate, visy park (the run down, heritage listed, no-one goes there anymore, surface is alright, stands are on eyesore shiteheap after battling traffic to and from) or a newly purpose-built, all-in-one spankingly clean centre without ghosts on the outskirts of metropolitan melbourne?

you know what the answer is surely, you're not that dumb?

Beej
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:
Beej wrote:I'm anti-Moorabbin in the shape it's in now. TBH I can't wait till we move out of that dump.
This sums me up too. I don't care where we move to, as long as we have first class facilities, and the new Seaford training base will be a vast improvement on Moorabbin even if it is in a less desirable location.
No doubt.

A state-of-the-art training facility is more important now than it's ever been so it's important we have everything covered and we're no longer behind the 8-ball when it comes to recovery.

Surely Westpac Centre would've been a massive advantage to Collingwood in their recovery after GF1.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Beej wrote:Surely Westpac Centre would've been a massive advantage to Collingwood in their recovery after GF1.
What about the $19.5m Visy though, is it Top4 in your opinion?

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Beej wrote:Carlton haven't played a game there since, what, 2005?! Therefore, what do the bloody grandstands have to do with the training centre you bell-end LOL

You could spend $195m on Visy and it would still be a Dump.
Because of the Heritage Listing status they can NOT do anything with it.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:Are you on drugs?

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
ace wrote:They are running late like the Delhi Commonwealth Games facilities.
Hopefully the standard of construction is better than in Delhi!
the standard is world class.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

bigred wrote:Compare Moorabbin with the freaking Westpac centre....
compare away.
westpac was built before moorabbin.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

ChicagoSaint wrote:
Beej wrote:

LOL you really are a fruit short of a salad.

ask me this: you're an AFL star ChicagoSaint where would you rather train mate, visy park (the run down, heritage listed, no-one goes there anymore, surface is alright, stands are on eyesore shiteheap after battling traffic to and from) or a newly purpose-built, all-in-one spankingly clean centre without ghosts on the outskirts of metropolitan melbourne?

you know what the answer is surely, you're not that dumb?
Are you doing comedy? I'm not sure if this is part of a skit. :lol:

No-one goes there anymore? Do you know where Carlton is? Have you ever been to Carlton? I reckon more people would use the public toilets around the Princes' Park running track in an hour than go to Frankston in a day.

Frankston is a long drive away from the heart of one of the world's most livable cities which just so happens to also be the centre of sport, art, tourism, education and, most importantly for footballers it seems, entertainment in this state, while Carlton is within walking distance and you believe there are actually professional footballers in the prime of their lives who would rather spend their time driving to Frankston and back?

Don't be ridiculous.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Bono wrote: You may not see Seaford as an issue but a couple of assistant coaches, the list manager, staff in the marketing and membership departments, along with a few top 10 senior StK players DO have an issue with the move to Seaford.
EXACTLY!

The club is literally heading further south and our premiership window has possibly only a couple of more seasons to run!

When we are trying to compete with the likes of Collingwood who have the Westpac Centre, the board have signed off on a white elephant sold to them by a CEO who left only months later!

This will bite us big time!

The only positive I can see about Seaford is that it does not cost much, so when the inevitable happens and it turns into an absolute disaster, we will look for a new home closer to St Kilda, in about 10 years time!

It will eventually make it increasingly more difficult to attract quality players to our club, when competing with the likes of Collingwood with an inner city location!

St Kilda is the most marketable suburb in Victoria and one of the most marketable suburbs in Australia and it is just plain stupid, to even further dilute and distance the football club from the place that gives this club it's name!

When Rod Butterss was voted out, he was actively seeking to establish the club as close to St Kilda as possible!

Even Ross Lyon made the comment " the challenges that Seaford presents" when asked about the departure of Leigh Tudor!

If there is one tradition the club is continuing, it's the capacity to once again shoot itself in the foot!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Is AFL suburban footy B4E because if it is then yeah you're still an idiot!

Beej
Saintsational Legend

ChicagoSaint wrote:ask me this: you're an AFL star ChicagoSaint where would you rather train mate
Bono wrote: You may not see Seaford as an issue but a couple of assistant coaches, the list manager, staff in the marketing and membership departments, along with a few top 10 senior StK players DO have an issue with the move to Seaford.
You must not be an AFL star ChicagoSaint.

Thing isn't even finished yet and our players already don't want to go to a "newly purpose-built, all-in-one spankingly clean centre without ghosts on the outskirts of metropolitan melbourne"

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Beej wrote:No-one goes there anymore? Do you know where Carlton is? Have you ever been to Carlton? I reckon more people would use the public toilets around the Princes' Park running track in an hour than go to Frankston in a day.
I'm talking specifically about Visy when I say no-one goes there. It's a Heritage Listed DUMP.

Re. the public toilets at Princes Park perhaps you know more about them than me.
Beej wrote: Frankston is a long drive away from the heart of one of the world's most livable cities which just so happens to also be the centre of sport, art, tourism, education and, most importantly for footballers it seems, entertainment in this state, while Carlton is within walking distance and you believe there are actually professional footballers in the prime of their lives who would rather spend their time driving to Frankston and back?

Don't be ridiculous.
You may not know this, however Seaford is approx. 20mins from the city.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:
Thing isn't even finished yet and our players already don't want to go to a "newly purpose-built, all-in-one spankingly clean centre without ghosts on the outskirts of metropolitan melbourne"
Which players? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Eastern wrote:
Beej wrote:
Which players? !!
yeah -- name them you moron!

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Paul 'Huddo' Hudson clearly doesn't mind getting away from the madhouse that is Westpac and the St Kilda Gmes Record Holder seems pretty keen.
Last edited by ChicagoSaint on Wed 13 Oct 2010 3:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I find it hard to believe players would have a major issue with it, perhaps if you isolated the issue purely to where would you rather be...

However overall, given a choice between staying put until a romantic refurbishment could be approved (no guarantee of this happening) and having something that gives them every chance to compete in an industry where every little advantage helps....

It's done, it's new, to say it's an improvement is a massive understatement.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
Beej wrote:
Which players? !!

ALL of them!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
ChicagoSaint
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:
Eastern wrote:
Beej wrote:
Which players? !!
Just about ALL of them!
crawl back into your little hole squirrel

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

SainterK wrote:I find it hard to believe players would have a major issue with it, perhaps if you isolated the issue purely to where would you rather be...

However overall, given a choice between staying put until a romantic refurbishment could be approved (no guarantee of this happening) and having something that gives them every chance to compete in an industry where every little advantage helps....

It's done, it's new, to say it's an improvement is a massive understatement.
this is why women are much smarter than men.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The one thing about Seaford is it will be easy to park, living in the inner city is a pain in the arse when it comes to parking. You try parking anywhere near Visy and you're doing good. It takes 20 mins just to park around there.

If they could get Lin Fox to drop them in seaford in his copter we're all good.