Eddy Gone?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints43
Club Player

IluvHarvey wrote:Good to see all the keyboard heros are out again!!
Are you naming names (everyone in this thread?) or just sniping from a distance?

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

From a distance.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Eddy could be the next Aaron Hammil. ;)

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure the lack of a full pre doesn't help particularly for a player who's role requires ridiculous stamina.

I reckon the whole Lovett thing might have taken a bit of wind out of his sails. He was a new leader and found himself at the front line of it all.

Some people are perhaps less equipped to deal with that kind of drama than others.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:I'm sure the lack of a full pre doesn't help particularly for a player who's role requires ridiculous stamina.

I reckon the whole Lovett thing might have taken a bit of wind out of his sails. He was a new leader and found himself at the front line of it all.

Some people are perhaps less equipped to deal with that kind of drama than others.
He definitely missed his preseason, I remember Ross talking about it on radio, and he spoke about how he some kind of groin surgery.

By less equipped, you mean sober :?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

im sick of the word "role"

footy hasnt changed much. its not rocket science. and the key thing in playing footy is playing footy. "role" is a weazel word.

get ball deliver it to teammate OR score. when dont have ball - win it back.

thats it fellas! if u cant do the above 2 things ur no good.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

If we want to take the next step and win the flag we have to get rid of some players like eddy, mcqualter etc. They're good players but we need great players.

This could also indicate that we may be looking at picking up one or two delisted players.... :?:

Sainter for life.
Saintersss
Club Player

SaintSimmo wrote:If we want to take the next step and win the flag we have to get rid of some players like eddy, mcqualter etc. They're good players but we need great players.

This could also indicate that we may be looking at picking up one or two delisted players.... :?:
Easy to say, hard to do. Where are we suppose to find these 'great' players? I'm sure the extra picks we get in the 70's and 80's from delisting Eddy and Mini are just going to become the next Hayes and Riewoldt next year.

And please don't say our youth. If they were great, they would have already found a spot in the 22.

St Lenny
Club Player

SaintSimmo wrote:If we want to take the next step and win the flag we have to get rid of some players like eddy, mcqualter etc. They're good players but we need great players.

Well in the scheme of things, Eddy is relatively new and inexperienced, where as Mc Qualter has had years to prove himself and failed IMHO.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Maybe the club forgot about Eddy, everyone else does.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
SaintSimmo
Club Player

Saintersss wrote:

Easy to say, hard to do. Where are we suppose to find these 'great' players? I'm sure the extra picks we get in the 70's and 80's from delisting Eddy and Mini are just going to become the next Hayes and Riewoldt next year.

And please don't say our youth. If they were great, they would have already found a spot in the 22.
I will say it....our youth, people like steven and to a lesser extent armitage are kept out of the side because of players like eddy and McQualter. I am honestly a fan of eddy....not McQualter.

McQualter Out and bring in Jack Steven and let him have his time to develop into an AFL player.

Can't breed AFL players in the VFL....completely different standard of footy.

Sainter for life.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Actually not true, OP kept Steven out, and Armo his knee...

Saintersss
Club Player

SaintSimmo wrote: I will say it....our youth, people like steven and to a lesser extent armitage are kept out of the side because of players like eddy and McQualter. I am honestly a fan of eddy....not McQualter.

McQualter Out and bring in Jack Steven and let him have his time to develop into an AFL player.

Can't breed AFL players in the VFL....completely different standard of footy.
Steven and Armo kept themselves out of the side, with either injuries or form. If they are good enough, they will push their way into the side, whether Mini and Eddy are delisted or not.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:Eddy could be the next Aaron Hammil. ;)
No - Eddy is the next Smythe.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
ace
Saintsational Legend

The facts in this article are that St Kilda has 5 players still out of contract.
Robert Eddy
Andrew McQualter
Sean Dempster
Luke Miles
Michael Gardiner

What can happen with these players
1 The club does not delist them and they sign new contracts with the club
2 They can nominate for the National Draft and Pre Season Draft
3 They can nominate for the Pre-Season Draft
4 St Kilda can delist them today in List Lodgement 2
5 They also nominate for the rookie draft.
Eddy is still young enough (by 7 days) to be a normal age rookie.
The remainder can become but mature age rookies but the club can only have 2 of these.

In all cases except 1 they cease to be St kilda players unless redrafted.

We all suspect the club is tight on salary cap.
All these players would be on low salaries and all could be hoping for a bit more pay which the club can't pay or can only pay at the expense of another player being cut.

With exception of Gardiner these players are backup or bottom 4 players dependent on others being injured to get a game.
They are our depth.
I hope they all remain with the temptation of a premiership medal but they would all be assured of games and money at lesser clubs.

Lets hope the AFL can publish the List Lodgement 2 lists a little faster than they did List Lodgement 1.
It would be nice to know BEFORE the national draft Mr Demetriou.
Last edited by ace on Wed 10 Nov 2010 2:10pm, edited 2 times in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
fingers
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
fingers wrote:Eddy could be the next Aaron Hammil. ;)
No - Eddy is the next Smythe.
Eddy wishes he was the next Smythe

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Eddy no loss at all. McQualter and Dempster go ok but we'd probably be better off playing kids. Miles however looks like he has the tools to become a best 22 player and should definitely get another contract.

Though it wouldn't surprise me to see the writer of this article jumped the gun with all of the mentioned players re-signing.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Eddy no loss at all. McQualter and Dempster go ok but we'd probably be better off playing kids. Miles however looks like he has the tools to become a best 22 player and should definitely get another contract.

Though it wouldn't surprise me to see the writer of this article jumped the gun with all of the mentioned players re-signing.
Regardless of what you think of Eddy it is a strange decision if true.

How do you go from being in the best 22 to not being in the best 38 all within the space of 0 games?

Even if you don't want him in your starting lineup next year you would have to think he'd be a handy backup player :?

saintlee
Club Player

Its now offical, Miles and Eddy delisted.

Saints43
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:How do you go from being in the best 22 to not being in the best 38 all within the space of 0 games?
Not only that... Being so important to the team that you would be played in two grand finals with a broken jaw.

And then delisted.

Strange.

Always a bit of a sad time this time of year. Whether you like a player or not on the field the dedication shown to get to first team AFL is a credit to all of them. Must be extremly difficult to lose the income, club involvement and status that comes with the job. Especially if it was unexpected...

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

St Lenny wrote:

Well in the scheme of things, Eddy is relatively new and inexperienced, where as Mc Qualter has had years to prove himself and failed IMHO.
Don't know how relevant the stat is, but Champion Data's "pressure" ratings for the drawn GF featured this at the top:

Lenny Hayes: 76.5
Andrew McQualter: 71.1
Scott Pendlebury: 68.8
Leigh Montagna: 67.2

...and this at the bottom:

Robert Eddy: 11.1
Ben Reid: 9.3
Nathan Brown: 9.1
Michael Gardiner: 7.3

...suggesting that Eddy did stuff-all in 2 GFs, and McQualter at least had a crack in one of them.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Sad for the kid, who is clearly a lovely boy, but IMO its the absolutely right move for the club to make...

His upside and improvement is very limited, and his current output is not enough... Am not questioning his endevour, just dont think he'll ever bring enough to the team...

Ross clearly has identified that we need a shift in style, and Eddy is a clear victim... Harsh for the kid, but good coaching...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

:(

I'll remember who you are Robert Eddy

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote::(

I'll remember who you are Robert Eddy
Nice one Centurion :wink:

St Lenny
Club Player

SainterK wrote::(