Big mid fielders

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:Speaking of Gilbo, does anyone know the link between Adam Goodes and himself?

On Saturday night at a bar, I saw one of the more bizarre greetings I've ever seen, between the two.

Hugs, embraces, the whole deal.

It was strange.
I'd say it had something to do with the International Rules tour of Ireland.

Must have bonded real well :wink:
Yeah, probably.

The other interesting thing was that he was the same height as Goodes.

Surprised me.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

According to Wikipaedia, Goodes is 194cms tall, Raph is 189cms tall and BJ is 191cms tall.

I reckon that the figure they have for Raph is about right.

I'm not sure that Goodes is as tall as they have him listed?
194cms is about 6 foot 4 and a half, which would make him slightly taller than Big Carl was (if my memory serves me correctly)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:According to Wikipaedia, Goodes is 194cms tall, Raph is 189cms tall and BJ is 191cms tall.

194cms is about 6 foot 4 and a half, which would make him slightly taller than Big Carl was (if my memory serves me correctly)
I think you will be surprised. He is very much like ROK. Looks shorter than he actually is.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:According to Wikipaedia, Goodes is 194cms tall, Raph is 189cms tall and BJ is 191cms tall.

Goodes easily 194cm.

Remember he was a ruckman!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

Goodes easily 194cm.

Which is why Gilbert being the same height surprised me.

Obviously Goodes has a huge leap, but I certainly couldn't see Gilbert playing in the ruck.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

Goodes easily 194cm.

So is/was Jason Blake! :)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

1 inch = 2.54 cm. Divide 194 by 2.54 =76.38 inches = 6 feet 4.38 inches

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Anyway Carl was 6'5", a giant in his day.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Anyway Carl was 6'5", a giant in his day.
no...carl was actually 6'3''....193cm......slightly smaller than adam goodes.....

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

6.3". Hmmm. Dont think so. But still a giant in his day.

PJ
SS Life Member

Dont understand this fascination with moving guys from their best positions to places where they will never be as effective.
I think the fascination comes from the way the game is constantly changing and players are being asked to play differing roles depending on what is required by each team.

We haven't recruited anyone (perhaps being tough on Polo) that will change our ability in the next 6 months to turn around what happened in the midfield in GF 2 so the progression must come from within. I think it's difficult placing your faith in Armo and Steven to have that big an impact and let's face it we got belted in the clearances on that day.

I agree that Raph is probably not the answer but you gotta look at what we've got to make the improvement.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Raph is a player who is brilliant when playing on instinct. When he is not let fly he seems to get lost a bit. He has turned games but may not always be consistent he could also be accused of being injury prone. But the idea of poor decision making comes mostly from one play in the 09 GF.

The backline is a lot more of a challenging place than the midfield if your poor on decision making. I can't believe people are still sniping him after all this time it makes me laugh at the narrow minded view of the people on this forum.

What we need is a sticky with Raph's and Zac's name where the ignorant can post unfounded, biased opinions of these two every week. I wouldn't have to read them that way.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:6.3". Hmmm. Dont think so. But still a giant in his day.
that's straight from the afl encyclopedia of afl footballers.....i will double check from some of my other source material...

i have seen him listed at 6'4".....but never as 6'5'.....in fact he was dwarfed by guys like graeme fellows from the filth...who was listed at 6'7" (200cm)from memory....

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Raph is a player who is brilliant when playing on instinct. When he is not let fly he seems to get lost a bit. He has turned games but may not always be consistent he could also be accused of being injury prone. But the idea of poor decision making comes mostly from one play in the 09 GF.

The backline is a lot more of a challenging place than the midfield if your poor on decision making. I can't believe people are still sniping him after all this time it makes me laugh at the narrow minded view of the people on this forum.

What we need is a sticky with Raph's and Zac's name where the ignorant can post unfounded, biased opinions of these two every week. I wouldn't have to read them that way.
Clarkes form in subiaco was fantastic...

Can mark

Can kick

Can read the play and spoil

Pity he got injuried that day and his form over those few weeks was brilliant.

PJ
SS Life Member

Pretty sure the only discussion going on in this thread is whether Raph has the skills to go in the midfield. Bit extreme to start calling people ignorant based on a discussion about skills and capabilities. Can't recall anyone bagging Raph or Zac for that matter. Perhaps ignorance is reading a thread and going with your own little personal agenda.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Big mid fielders

plugger66 wrote:Dont understand this fascination with moving guys from their best positions to places where they will never be as effective.
How do you know that if they've never been tried there? The midfield was smashed in GF2 and needs strengthening IMO.

After Lenny, BJ, Dal and Joey we tend to fall away a bit.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:6.3". Hmmm. Dont think so. But still a giant in his day.
Actually I agree with Stinger that he was 193cms (in today's measurement) but in those days he was 6 foot 4 inches tall.
He was a huge man but by no means the tallest going around - Len Thompson, Graeme Fellowes were taller than him by a fair way (JPBFC can confirm this I think)

But Alan Morrow was about 5 foot 10/11 and Brian Mynott was a bout 6 foot 2 (or3), so Carl was certainaly our tallest player.
I think the first player we got that was taller than Carl was Rod Galt?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Dont understand this fascination with moving guys from their best positions to places where they will never be as effective.
How do you know that if they've never been tried there? The midfield was smashed in GF2 and needs strengthening IMO.

Well lets play Zac there as well as big Ben. Raph aint a mid or our coaches cant coach. Cant have it both ways.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Well lets play Zac there as well as big Ben. Raph aint a mid or our coaches cant coach. Cant have it both ways.
Raph may go in the midfield at some point, not like he is super old and one dimensional.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Alan Morrow was 6ft, although it may have been a Collingwood 6ft. But with his great leap and courage he could hold his own with the best of them.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Raph may go in the midfield at some point, not like he is super old and one dimensional.

You could be right. They may wait until he has played at least ten years before they work it out. We must have very poor coaches.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

You could be right. They may wait until he has played at least ten years before they work it out. We must have very poor coaches.
Averaging about 6 games a year over that 10 years would hardly give an indication of his best position, looking forward to that playing out the next couple.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

We have very good coaches and you'll find Raph in the midfield this year.
Thank goodness you are not a coach.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

We have very good coaches and you'll find Raph in the midfield this year.
Thank goodness you are not a coach.

Really BS?

He didnt play all that much in the midfield during juniors - Was a forward by memory.

Just can't see Raph having comparable (to other midfield players) ability in contested possession and clearances.

Can see him running through the midfield from half back, and utilising his marking and spoiling abilities...

But midfield as in a pure midfielder sense I really cant see.

Maybe wing... For a quarter.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Basically all players will do time in the midfield in the coming years.

I don't like it, but that's the way the game is going. You'll have a couple of key forwards and backs and the rest will be on the ball. It's just about being able to control it in a gameplan.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell