new sub rule and the bench

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:I'm really interested to find out where this rule is going. If a team has no injuries will the sub - he who plays in the last quarter (sometime) become the bench warmer until near the end.

If you are picked as sub regularly you could end up playing 1 full match over 1 month. Even worse it could end up being like soccer where they sub in the last 5 minutes of the game.
Maybe no one person will be a sub regularly, the coaches will use it as potential ace up the sleeve based on the opposition that particular week?

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

It's.reasonable.to.make.ar.rule.change.to.address.a.realistic.problem.with.the.game...

Like.when.Hawthorn.ran.the.ball.behind.the.point.line.ad.infinitum

Such.a.tactic...although.effective.and.productive...is.not.in.the.spirit.of.the.game.

But.really...what.does.this.sub-rule.achieve?

The.game.is.going.great.guns

Why.can't.these.tools.in.at.the.AFL.leave.well.enough.alone?

PJ
SS Life Member

Maybe no one person will be a sub regularly, the coaches will use it as potential ace up the sleeve based on the opposition that particular week?
Problem being if you use it as a rotation before say half time and a player goes down you are down to a 2 man bench.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

sendmehomehappy wrote:It's.reasonable.to.make.ar.rule.change.to.address.a.realistic.problem.with.the.game...

Like.when.Hawthorn.ran.the.ball.behind.the.point.line.ad.infinitum

Such.a.tactic...although.effective.and.productive...is.not.in.the.spirit.of.the.game.

But.really...what.does.this.sub-rule.achieve?

The.game.is.going.great.guns

Why.can't.these.tools.in.at.the.AFL.leave.well.enough.alone?
Are you William Shatner?

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.