Lyon..our unpopular coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon.

Came within two kicks to being our most successful coach ever.

Love him or hate him...It matters not.

At least you can go to the footy EVERY BLOODY WEEK and expect to win.

I dont know about you, but I would take that any day.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:At least you can go to the footy EVERY BLOODY WEEK and expect to win.

I dont know about you, but I would take that any day.
AMEN bigred :wink:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:I think the OP was mainly targeting 2 posters - one's he normally talks down to..... Anyway looks like it didn't go so well - hardly anyone slamming the coach :shock:
I actually thought it went very well as I intended to get some positive talk going rather than the doom and gloom.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saints66
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:
Mr X from the West wrote:Spoke with an ex-player on New years Eve who used to play under Ross at the Swans.

He said Ross was the best coach he'd ever had (he'd also played at another MEL club) and "...was a tactical genius".

Not bad accolades!
Tactical geniuses and brilliant assistants don't always make for great head coaches though.

I'm a big Ross fan, but our heads cost us at least one flag. Tactics may have gone us there in the first place, but something above the shoulders was missing in at least 2 of the 3 Grand Finals.

Coaches need tactical brilliance, a great temperament for the role (Ross had both these) but also the ability to get guys to pick fridges up over their heads when they're only really capable of picking up bar fridges.

This is the only area that worries me a bit with him.

Might be a good thing that the guys can't pick up fridges especially bar fridges.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saints66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
Mr X from the West wrote:Spoke with an ex-player on New years Eve who used to play under Ross at the Swans.

He said Ross was the best coach he'd ever had (he'd also played at another MEL club) and "...was a tactical genius".

Not bad accolades!
Tactical geniuses and brilliant assistants don't always make for great head coaches though.

I'm a big Ross fan, but our heads cost us at least one flag. Tactics may have gone us there in the first place, but something above the shoulders was missing in at least 2 of the 3 Grand Finals.

Coaches need tactical brilliance, a great temperament for the role (Ross had both these) but also the ability to get guys to pick fridges up over their heads when they're only really capable of picking up bar fridges.

Might be a good thing that the guys can't pick up fridges especially bar fridges.
Unfortunately, they can't pick up frigids either :(

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
and no matter what happens the coach is always right.
Can you even find one post where I have indicated that?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I like this Johnny Member bloke. Good point on West Coast.

Seriously there is a lot weird moral outrage but what has happened that effects these peoples ability to play footy and perform athletically.

crime 1 - having sex - impact on footy = nil
crime 2 - posing for photos - impact on footy = nil
crime 3 - 3 very young fringe players noone (besides hardcore saintsfans) have ever heard of have a night out - impact on footy = 1/10 .

so overall score for me is 1/30 negative.

seriously lets stick to the facts. footy media is so full of crap.

cant believe people are playing the "tear up my membership card" card.
if we lose to the tigers by 10 goals then yes we should all cut up the membership cards. but then and only then. who gives a flog about these hyped up so called scandals. what a crock.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:

Not bad accolades!

Ofcourse players need to "lift fridges" and play for the coach. I dont think Lyon has trouble getting them to do this - he just doesnt subscribe to all the empty, emotional "one tricks" the previous corporate svengali used.

Lyon does it via logic....a sort of....."IF we do this well then result takes care of itself stuff". He's not alone in the league with that approach - but hes already proven 1 thing......he IS capable of devising a game plan that has the rest of the competition playing catch up.......question is can he do it again? and does he have the depth of cattle to deliver it?

“Yeah….nah””
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

Not bad accolades!

Ofcourse players need to "lift fridges" and play for the coach. I dont think Lyon has trouble getting them to do this - he just doesnt subscribe to all the empty, emotional "one tricks" the previous corporate svengali used.

Lyon does it via logic....a sort of....."IF we do this well then result takes care of itself stuff". He's not alone in the league with that approach - but hes already proven 1 thing......he IS capable of devising a game plan that has the rest of the competition playing catch up.......question is can he do it again? and does he have the depth of cattle to deliver it?
Maybe I'm old school (I'm only 34 so I hope not!), but I still believe the old 'who wants it more' adage reigns supreme.

These days, every club has coaches that have played or coached at other clubs, and players that have played at other clubs. Every club has forward scouts and detailed game plans etc. etc.
This stuff is crucial and a decisive factor in winning obviously - but in finals and particularly on Grand Final day, when you're up against the best teams who obviously have great coaches and solid game plans aswell, it often comes down to who wants it more.

For whatever reason, we've stumbled at that hurdle twice.

That's my only criticism of the coach. And it's not even a criticism really. Just an area that I think we need to get better in.

As for him being unpopular, I don't think I know one Saints fan who doesn't love him!

As for Robert Walls suggesting he should leave the club!!??? That says more about the character of Robert Walls than anything else.
Things get too hard and don't go your way, walk out?

Yeah right. I don't think that's how Ross Lyon works.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

This has got to be the silliest thread I have ever seen on SS by a long way.

sRr, you seriously need to get a grip. Since mid-2008, this forum has typically been a Ross Lyon love fest. The only times this wasn't the case was immediately after the two GFs we lost, which was totally understandable and didn't seem to last too long.

In terms of the recent off-field incidents, I didn't notice any great criticism of Lyon, unless you count my comment that GT might have handled it all a bit differently (but, you see, I don't think most people share your tendency to interpret even the most mildly positive comment about GT to be a dastardly criticism of Lyon).

If the point of your thread is that not everyone on SS shares your view of Lyon as the 21st century Moses who - by the light of a miraculous game plan he received from the heavens on Mt Sinai - is leading the fans of St Kilda from out of the darkness and out of the clutches of Satan (aka GT) to the Promised Land: well, yes I agree, not everyone sees it quite this way.

However, notwithstanding your constant accusations that I am someone who "hates" Ross Lyon, I have praised the guy on here far more often than I have criticised him. As have a number of others with whom you often get into arguments on here.

As I said before, you seriously need to get a grip.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
spert
Saintsational Legend

Roos Lyon has got as much out of this playing list as possible and used a formula that perfectly matched the talent at hand. We now need an injection of more talent across the field by blooding young players, and maybe Ross could have done this a bit more over the last two seasons. I'm a bit both ways about the handling of Ball, but in the end, we are a team who has a lot of grind and not much flash, so one of those grinders couldn't be carried, whereas Collingwood needed a grinding under the pack player to get the flag..so Ross probably did the right thing in letting him go. Compare to Lyon to Malthouse who had unlimited resources at a cashed-up West Coast, and a representitive WA team at his disposal, then across at Collingwood..a good team, but cashed up again, and all the resources he needed including elite training facilities..I bet the most average coach in the world could have got a flag with that kind of support.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Roos Lyon has got as much out of this playing list as possible and used a formula that perfectly matched the talent at hand. We now need an injection of more talent across the field by blooding young players, and maybe Ross could have done this a bit more over the last two seasons. I'm a bit both ways about the handling of Ball, but in the end, we are a team who has a lot of grind and not much flash, so one of those grinders couldn't be carried, whereas Collingwood needed a grinding under the pack player to get the flag..so Ross probably did the right thing in letting him go. Compare to Lyon to Malthouse who had unlimited resources at a cashed-up West Coast, and a representitive WA team at his disposal, then across at Collingwood..a good team, but cashed up again, and all the resources he needed including elite training facilities..I bet the most average coach in the world could have got a flag with that kind of support.
He must be lucky MM. Just maybe clubs with money realise he is a very good coach.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:Roos Lyon has got as much out of this playing list as possible and used a formula that perfectly matched the talent at hand. We now need an injection of more talent across the field by blooding young players, and maybe Ross could have done this a bit more over the last two seasons. I'm a bit both ways about the handling of Ball, but in the end, we are a team who has a lot of grind and not much flash, so one of those grinders couldn't be carried, whereas Collingwood needed a grinding under the pack player to get the flag..so Ross probably did the right thing in letting him go. Compare to Lyon to Malthouse who had unlimited resources at a cashed-up West Coast, and a representitive WA team at his disposal, then across at Collingwood..a good team, but cashed up again, and all the resources he needed including elite training facilities..I bet the most average coach in the world could have got a flag with that kind of support.
He must be lucky MM. Just maybe clubs with money realise he is a very good coach.
I am lucky to have gotten to spar with you in this forum plugger! :)

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:I think the OP was mainly targeting 2 posters - one's he normally talks down to..... Anyway looks like it didn't go so well hardly anyone slamming the coach :shock:
I actually thought it went very well as I intended to get some positive talk going rather than the doom and gloom.
Well it went ok for the coach, not so for you - seeing as that you wrote:
saintsRrising wrote: I think I am out of step with most on this forum.

Since Lyon arrived I have liked the way he has gone about coaching....
....with many on the forum anytime a set-back or hurdle appears, they seem to take any opportunity to flag all that is wrong with Lyon.......
Not many in this thread or elsewhere on these boards slam Lyon - you implied many do. The only shot I have ever had (partly) at the coach would be certain player movements and trades :shock:

Hold your ground :shock: