Pick the team for Thursday night

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Bardon Saint wrote:Just heard on SEN by Ross Lyon "Birth certificates are out the window". And then something like 'we're looking for players who want to play and be out there'. Maybe a surprise or two??
I love the guy. Best coach we have ever had. It is plain to see that attitude is the problem and Ross will weed out those that put self before club. It won’t surprise me if Goddard is a casualty or is at least put on notice. Dal and Milne being dropped in 2007 reaped us an immediate benefit. Luke Ball being dropped in 2009 also helped us.

What is happening at the club is what has always happened where a few stars put themselves ahead of the club. Since the arrival of Ross and the new board our culture has been fantastic in that regard and it would be a shame if we went back to the bad old days.
Curious, why would Goddard be put on notice CM? He is out of form sure, but nobody would question his endeavour?

Surely it's the guys who aren't tackling, putting their head over the ball, attempting to win contested ball...that would be at risk?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Geez K.

Not sure we can drop 22...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Bardon Saint
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
Bardon Saint wrote:Just heard on SEN by Ross Lyon "Birth certificates are out the window". And then something like 'we're looking for players who want to play and be out there'. Maybe a surprise or two??
I love the guy. Best coach we have ever had. It is plain to see that attitude is the problem and Ross will weed out those that put self before club. It won’t surprise me if Goddard is a casualty or is at least put on notice. Dal and Milne being dropped in 2007 reaped us an immediate benefit. Luke Ball being dropped in 2009 also helped us.

What is happening at the club is what has always happened where a few stars put themselves ahead of the club. Since the arrival of Ross and the new board our culture has been fantastic in that regard and it would be a shame if we went back to the bad old days.
Pity the line didn't originate with Ross. I heard Guy McKenna talk about it recently I think at a presser and it is also quoted here (Feb 2011):

"One of the first things Mick (Malthouse) said to us at West Coast was, 'Tear-up your birth certificates, you are out there with our jumper on and there is a standard I expect'.

and here in Jan 2010 by McKenna:

"Like all the boys, whether you're contracted or uncontracted, if you're fit and in form, you're picked," McKenna said.

"It was one of the lessons I learnt from Mick Malthouse, birth certificates are torn up and thrown out the door.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Geez K.

Not sure we can drop 22...
:wink:

Contested Ball and tackles should be the indicator IMO.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Curious, why would Goddard be put on notice CM? He is out of form sure, but nobody would question his endeavour?

Surely it's the guys who aren't tackling, putting their head over the ball, attempting to win contested ball...that would be at risk?
Why shouldn’t he be put on notice? He is a top-earning professional sportsperson who is afforded one bad game a year (or at least that should be close to it). Three in a row is not acceptable. Clearly there is something wrong when you have to be given 3 days off after only 2 rounds of footy. Clearly attitude is the problem. Moreover for the team to go out on the tiles and stay out until 6am after the Essendon game clearly suggests the general attitude is they have given up on a premiership this year. They wouldn’t have done that in 2009 or 2010.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

theres 3 blokes you wouldnt drop
1. roo
2. hayes
3. bj

EVERY team has players or a player they wouldnt drop after 3 average(?) games
he's had 22, 15 and 28 touches respectively and had 14 tackles in 3 games, and also kicked a couple....i mean its not exactly worth dropping him is it

seriously

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Nothing wrong with some soul searching, I liked that they got together to try and turn things around....

Personally, I'd have been more worried if they were OK with the results so far.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:theres 3 blokes you wouldnt drop
1. roo
2. hayes
3. bj

he's had 22, 15 and 28 touches respectively and had 14 tackles in 3 games, and also kicked a couple....i mean its not exactly worth dropping him is it

seriously
Yep.

Let's face it, we're all "frustrated".

No need to add "silly" to the equation!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

1. roo
2. hayes
3. bj

seriously
I agree Matrix, why would you drop the guys that are tackling, winning contested ball...

He has been down on form by his standards, don't confuse that with being down on the level that is required.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

1. roo
2. hayes
3. bj

seriously
Elite players like Goddard are always going to rack up stats. It's when they stop playing for the team that is the problem. Have you got any stats on team orientated actions. Seems to be spending a lot of time pointing and yelling at team mates.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Who do you tackle for, if not the team?

He is still averaging 9 contested possessions and 5 tackles a game so far this year CM (avg 3.5 tackles last year per game)

Harsh, but your opinion I guess.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
1. roo
2. hayes
3. bj

seriously
Elite players like Goddard are always going to rack up stats. It's when they stop playing for the team that is the problem. Have you got any stats on team orientated actions. Seems to be spending a lot of time pointing and
yelling at team mates.
People often complain about our bottom six. Others often suggest they're in the side because they're better than anyone else we've got running around in the VFL. They bemoan our lack of depth.

So, with no wins after 3 rounds, and with one of our top 3 players out for the year, how can anyone seriously consider dropping one of the other 2?

Goddard will return to form very soon and it won't be in a gold, black & blue jumper. Someone will pay big time and it just may be the Lions :wink:

spert
Saintsational Legend

In: Kosi, Mini, Johnson, Winmar
Out: Raph, Gambler, BJ and Roo rested

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Who do you tackle for, if not the team?

He is still averaging 9 contested possessions and 5 tackles a game CM.

Did you read the article by Wakelin in the paper the other day. He was speaking about certain players and their effect on the team after successive GF losses. I think a player of Goddard’s caliber could rack up 40+ stats a week but still have a negative effect on team attitude. He certainly doesn't have the ability to hide his demeanor.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

you show me where you can get stats for hard ball gets and assists and forward 50 tackles etc etc
and ill show you the amounts
almost impossible to get hold of all the decent stats

but anyway
geelong
22 possies, 6 marks, 9 contested possies (third behind lenny and dal), 100% effective disposal %, 1 inside 50 and 2 rebound 50s, 3 1%ers, 1 centre clearance, 6 tackles

richmond
15 possies, 1 goal, 8 contested possies, 87% effective disposal, 3 inside 50s and 2 rebound 50s, 3 1%ers, 1 centre clearance, 4 tackles

essendon
28 possies, 2 centre clearances, 10 contested possies (= second), 86% effective disposal, 1 mark, 2 inside 50s and 3 rebound 50s, 4 1%ers, 6 tackles

not superstar best on ground stats
but blimey peeps reckon he should be put on notice????

not me
8-)

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
SainterK wrote:Who do you tackle for, if not the team?

He is still averaging 9 contested possessions and 5 tackles a game CM.

Did you read the article by Wakelin in the paper the other day. He was speaking about certain players and their effect on the team after successive GF losses. I think a player of Goddard’s caliber could rack up 40+ stats a week but still have a negative effect on team attitude. He certainly doesn't have the ability to hide his demeanor.
No he isn't able to hide his demeanour, I agree with that.

Flipside, that is why you get the chest thumping, fist raising, team lifting actions as well.

PS - He isn't the only one to give his teammates a mouthful, that certainly isn't behaviour exclusive to BJ.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:you show me where you can get stats for hard ball gets and assists and forward 50 tackles etc etc

but anyway
geelong
22 possies, 6 marks, 9 contested possies (third behind lenny and dal), 100% effective disposal %, 1 inside 50 and 2 rebound 50s, 3 1%ers, 1 centre clearance, 6 tackles

richmond
15 possies, 1 goal, 8 contested possies, 87% effective disposal, 3 inside 50s and 2 rebound 50s, 3 1%ers, 1 centre clearance, 4 tackles

essendon
28 possies, 2 centre clearances, 10 contested possies (= second), 86% effective disposal, 1 mark, 2 inside 50s and 3 rebound 50s, 4 1%ers, 6 tackles

not me
8-)
Hey what's a peep? and while you're at it what's a flog. Just curious.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

peep(s)=people/person

i think flog is kinda like for idiot or wanker
as in flogging off?? wanking?
flog? wanker?

dunno
popular term on here tho lol

8-)

eppo67
Club Player

spert wrote:In: Kosi, Mini, Johnson, Winmar
That's the team for me to spert. Really want to see Big Will in. (that doesn't sound quite right does it? 

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:peep(s)=people/person

flog? wanker?

dunno

8-)
Thanks for the heads-up. You'd think after being on the internet after all of these years I would have asked sooner. I'm old school though and still like to communicate with old fashioned words.

spert
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:
spert wrote:In: Kosi, Mini, Johnson, Winmar
That's the team for me to spert. Really want to see Big Will in. (that doesn't sound quite right does it? 
Either that or Big Willie out?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:peep(s)=people/person

flog? wanker?

dunno

8-)
If you look up "Flog" in the dictionary you get a pic of Jason Dunstall !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

matrix wrote:you show me where you can get stats for hard ball gets and assists and forward 50 tackles etc etc

but anyway
geelong

richmond

essendon

Could not agree more - not sure what else he has to do - wears his heart on his sleeve, would do anything for the Saints. Goddard 'being a casualty or being put on notice' would be one of the harshest calls ever :shock:

Hold your ground :shock:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BJ isnt at his best but why would anyone think he is slightly on notice especially since there would be 18 players in front of him to be dropped. If you are going to have a go at a big name I think Joey may be first cab off the rank but he aint close to being dropped either. Anyway 3 know of the 3 outs. Is Jimmy injured. That could be 4. So it is Kosi, Blake, and than either Baker, Winmar or Johnson. Probably go with Bakes. The only other possible change is Stanley out for Johnson.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

There has been a lot of discussion about his general attitude. It may only be perception. Why was he given 3 days off after the Richmond game. Possibly not a reward for having good stats.