pathetic

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:
Thinline wrote:
BallBanger wrote:If only zac was playing for adelaide...he has no idea where he's palyer is or the ball...a 9 yr old has better judgement
He's one out on a big opponent who has the ball spitting at him at a hundred miles an hour because we are kicking to THEIR advantage and excepting Armo our midfield refuses to tackle.

He's on a hiding to nothing.

SOS, Langford, whoever would be getting a bath.

It's un-Saint-like.
Bull....Zac is a dud that was covered by our ultra numbers getting back...he's utterly useless without blake etc covering up his deficencies.
To suggest his name in the same bracket as langford/sos is laughable.

What weapons does he have...at least gram can run and carry
Disagree. Defence is a team thing, especially now. Having Dawson running with the flight towards an opponent marking virtually uncontested speaks much more about what's happening up the ground than in our defensive fifty. He cannot be held accountable for blokes shirking the hardest part of their work elsewhere. And as for midfield shirkers tonight here's a list. Gram, Joey, Dal Santo, Mini. As for his fellow defenders Gilbert, Fisher and Dempster are simply shadows of what they once were. As a direct result of their ineffectiveness physically the Crows just charge upfield, Tippett spins around and heads goalward, and Dawson can do little but hope the ball somehow hits his waving arms. Shitcanning the goalkeeper is wallpapering the bigger picture. We've got major structural issues everywhere. Dawson, frankly, is way down my list of concerns.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
wraiyth
Club Player

clarky449 wrote:
wraiyth wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
wraiyth wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
fugazi wrote:
We are out of ideas.
You aren't wrong there. Ross has nothing. Zippo.
I think he may have used up his quota by the end of the first GF last year, because pretty much everything he's touched since that day has turned to s***.
I was criticised sometime last year when I said RL was a one-trick pony as a coach, he'd just been doing that one trick really well.
Does anyone want to re-visit that claim now?
Its the players that are playing s***? Why would Ross change the gameplan etc in 2009 and 2010 when we made the GF? Ross is a thinker.
Its the coach who makes the selections. If they're playing s***, why are they getting selected?
Or perhaps they are playing exactly how they are being told to.
You think Ross is telling them to play half hearted?
Also how many more new players do you want Ross to bring in?
Enough that the ones who aren't performing consistently are getting dropped. What's he done, brought in 3 kids in the past month? Big woop.
Gilbert has been horrible the past few weeks and Lynch has played a few great games. Why is he still even there?
Dawson has shown time and time again this year that he's not up to 1 on 1 contests. Give someone else a crack.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Defence is a team thing, especially now. .
Well we certainly do not have a team at present...just 22 individuals...most of whom are content to trot around like headless chooks

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

wraiyth wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
wraiyth wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
wraiyth wrote:
fugazi wrote:
We are out of ideas.
I think he may have used up his quota by the end of the first GF last year, because pretty much everything he's touched since that day has turned to s***.
I was criticised sometime last year when I said RL was a one-trick pony as a coach, he'd just been doing that one trick really well.
Its the players that are playing s***? Why would Ross change the gameplan etc in 2009 and 2010 when we made the GF? Ross is a thinker.
Its the coach who makes the selections. If they're playing s***, why are they getting selected?
Enough that the ones who aren't performing consistently are getting dropped. What's he done, brought in 3 kids in the past month? Big woop.
Gilbert has been horrible the past few weeks and Lynch has played a few great games. Why is he still even there?
Dawson has shown time and time again this year that he's not up to 1 on 1 contests. Give someone else a crack.
Ross obviously thought we still had a good chance, if we brought in anymore youth it is pretty much season over. Dawson has been one of our better players this year but of course he is having one bad day and suddenly he is the worst player to play.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Thinline wrote:
Defence is a team thing, especially now. .
Well we certainly do not have a team at present...just 22 individuals...most of whom are content to trot around like headless chooks
Sadly, yep.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
wraiyth
Club Player

clarky449 wrote:
wraiyth wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
wraiyth wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
wraiyth wrote:
fugazi wrote:
We are out of ideas.
Ross obviously thought we still had a good chance, if we brought in anymore youth it is pretty much season over. Dawson has been one of our better players this year but of course he is having one bad day and suddenly he is the worst player to play.
Lyon even flagged a few weeks ago that maybe he's been in denial, and maybe its time to bring in some youth. And whats happened since then? Johnson made his debut, and Cripps is only in tonight through Ray's misfortune.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

clarky449 wrote:
wraiyth wrote: Its the coach who makes the selections. If they're playing s***, why are they getting selected?
I don't, but isn't it his job to get the best out of them? To get them to play "whole-heartedly"?
He is failing miserably at that. The buck stops with him. He's going as badly as they are, IMHO.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

So livid right now. Feel like giving back my membership. What happened to "saints footy"?

Tonight's game of footy is insipid, saints don't help out each other and don't get in there and get the contested ball. Many passengers tonight standing around waiting for the ball to come to them.

Only one i see trying is Armo. McQualter has been pathetic. Zac being silly. No cohesion as a team. Totally understand why rooey was mouthing off before. No effort at all. Even the Suns could beat us at this rate.

Go saints in '09!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

i_luv_nick_riewoldt wrote:So livid right now. Feel like giving back my membership. What happened to "saints footy"?

Tonight's game of footy is insipid, saints don't help out each other and don't get in there and get the contested ball. Many passengers tonight standing around waiting for the ball to come to them.

Only one i see trying is Armo. McQualter has been pathetic. Zac being silly. No cohesion as a team. Totally understand why rooey was mouthing off before. No effort at all. Even the Suns could beat us at this rate.
Actually,i cant wait until we play the Suns...that will be some game.....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

clarky449 wrote:
wraiyth wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
wraiyth wrote:
fugazi wrote:
We are out of ideas.
Nobody has ever suggested that the coach is asking the players to play half hearted.

However, in a time when the good teams are evolving their game plans in order to counteract zones etc, St Kilda on the other hand are still playing the same style which, admittedly, did get them to two grand finals but is now old hat.

A prime example of this is how teams are kicking long and direct out of defence whilst we still chip it around and more often than not go backwards and indirect. All this achieves is give opposition players time to gang up on the likes of Riewoldt giving him no chance of taking a mark anywhere near goal. We have seen it time and again this season with no obvious change in tactic.

The coaching panel is displaying a pragmatic approach to the game plan instead of adapting it to suit the current game style of our opponents, giving the perception of Lyon being a one trick pony... and perception is reality!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Rubbish.

When the boys actually tackled, worked for each other, applied pressure.

We looked good.

That they can do it, points to the fact that they are choosing when and when not too.

Don't fool yourself that we are still playing the old game plan, for one, that actually involves forward pressure, which has been non existent for the most part.

It it actually offensive to suggest the first quarter was anything like the game style St Kilda became known for.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Rubbish.

When the boys actually tackled, worked for each other, applied pressure.

We looked good.

That they can do it, points to the fact that they are choosing when and when not too.

Don't fool yourself that we are still playing the old game plan, for one, that actually involves forward pressure, which has been non existent for the most part.

It it actually offensive to suggest the first quarter was anything like the game style St Kilda became known for.
I have asked you before to explain our different game plan. Looks similar but we cant execute as well.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Earlier in the season (and I think in both GF's) we were clearly moving the ball on much more quickly and trying keep it moving almost all the time (from the backline and through the middle), but were making a mess of the decision making and execution. But in the past two games we seem to have reverted back to the same old style of moving it really slowly from the backline, with short chips that go sideways and backwards, etc and going back over the mark, instead of trying to move it on quickly with run and carry.
Then Ross was apparently "excited" by our second half on the weekend, when we were "more attacking", so to me it seems they're either deliberately, or else unintentionally chopping and changing between playing this more attacking, positive style of footy we were promised over summer and the dour slow style that is now yesterday's news (ie the first half on the weekend and for large chunks of the Brisbane game, after the 1st quarter).
Now I read in the paper today that Ross has said we'll "probably adopt a more free flowing style in the coming weeks" which I thought was what we were promised all summer. WTF?
To me, it seems his biggest problem is that he doesn't have the chops to see his changes through. He says "we're going to go this way" but then, when the going gets tough, as it invariably does when you're going in new direction, to test your committment to it, he reverts back to the old familiar style, instead of seeing it through.
Case in point:
He says Gilbo is going to play forward this year, but as soon as Gilbo tells Ross he's not "comfortable there", or whatever, he sends him back down back, totally screwing up the set-up that we've presumably had all summer and trained for and leaving Roo one out against 3-4 in round one. Instead of asking him to suck it up and do it for the team. Great.
Then, in round two, what happens? Gilbo is back in the forward line at the start of the game, we play really attacking footy (the sort of footy we've been promised since the GF's), our forward line looks extremely dangerous and Gilbo being closely watched frees Roo up to be one-out and Roo takes 7 marks in the first 45 mins.
But our inaccuracy lets the Tigers back into the game and when it gets close, instead of saying, OK, we've committed to going in this new direction, so we're going to tough it out until we get used to it, even if it costs us a game or two, he reverts back to the same old ways, sending Gilbo back to defence to play loose, which in turn lets Richmond put someone loose next to Roo and Roo doesn't take another mark for the rest of the game. Great again.
He needs to watch the Truman Show and take a leaf out of Truman, when he's committed to going across the water. Even when the sea gets extremely rough and it looks like he's going to drown, he never quits and as a result he's rewarded by breaking free. If that was Ross, he would have turned back, when the going got tough, if what he's been doing lately is anything to go by and been stuck in the same old same old. I realise it's "only a movie", but it's a metaphor and message that Ross needs to understand quick smart. If he's going to go in a certain direction, he needs to see it through, to see if it's ultimately going to work. He needs to "break on through to the other side". Even when it gets really tough, or scary, or else he's going to stay stuck in a rut.
All this chopping and changing s*** will lead us to where we are now. Shitsville.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Mon 02 May 2011 5:05pm, edited 4 times in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
BallBanger wrote:If only zac was playing for adelaide...he has no idea where he's palyer is or the ball...a 9 yr old has better judgement
He's one out on a big opponent who has the ball spitting at him at a hundred miles an hour because we are kicking to THEIR advantage and excepting Armo our midfield refuses to tackle.
Armo = 3 tackles.

NDS = 6 tackles.
Jones = 7 tackles.
Monty = 4 tackles.
Schneids = 8 tackles.

I reiterate, we actually applied reasonable pressure around the ground for most of the game, disposal efficiency over 70% for most of the team, contested possessions the same as the Crows, we were much better that most of you think.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

wraiyth wrote:
fugazi wrote:
We are out of ideas.

EDIT: http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... sc&start=0
Anyone want to dispute it now?
No disputing it. You made the call in April last year that Lyon was rubbish. Five months before we came within a whisker of winning the flag.

Now you're making that call again. I am suddenly full of optimism.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:
wraiyth wrote:
fugazi wrote:
We are out of ideas.

No disputing it. You made the call in April last year that Lyon was rubbish. Five months before we came within a whisker of winning the flag.

a possible troll.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Yep,... even JPB has given up on us....

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:
wraiyth wrote:
fugazi wrote:
We are out of ideas.

a possible troll.
Hmmm...not sure, I've just been looking at a few various Saints related Facebook groups, and there are actually St Kilda fans making equally as mind-numbing calls en masse.

Our resident Collingwood troll will be back in time for the Saints v Pies clash, don't you worry.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

SaintPav wrote:Yep,... even JPB has given up on us....
even he knows there is no honour in sinking the boot in when your on the canvas.
Pies fans have moved on to more formidable foes

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

degruch wrote:
Thinline wrote:
Armo = 3 tackles.

NDS = 6 tackles.
Jones = 7 tackles.
Monty = 4 tackles.
Schneids = 8 tackles.

I reiterate, we actually applied reasonable pressure around the ground for most of the game, disposal efficiency over 70% for most of the team, contested possessions the same as the Crows, we were much better that most of you think.
bless your little adelaide heart degruch
yes it was the one stat we managed to beat the crows
63 - 64

oh and we won tackles inside 50mt
which you could put down to the fact that once they got it near goals we couldnt touch them

Seeya