Team changes for next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
dragit wrote:OUT:
Dempster (inj), Blake (inj)
IN:
Ledger, Walsh

Let Kosi, Gram & Raph earn a recall by playing a few good VFL games, not one, we saw Gamble kick 6 the other week but nothing either side of that…

If Peake & Montagna are out suspended then maybe the door would open early for Gram/Raph.
It's maddness to bring in 2 newbies Vs the Pies and keep Winmar and Sippa in also. They would tear us a hole bigger than Kimmie!!!
Exactly.

A lot of our young kids have young kid's bodies. Have a close look at Winmar and Siposs.

To bring in more of these "skinnies" would be dangerous against the likes of the Pies.

Also we need to keep things in perspective. As exciting as it has been to watch Cripps, Siposs and Winmar get some games the reality is they're getting half a dozen or so touches per game. The excitement relates more to us getting a glimpse of what they may become in the future.

Once again, against the Pies we can't afford to bring in more kids who may touch the ball a couple of times - even if they look really good getting those couple of touchs.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:I think Baker will play. I'm not sure who's place he will take, but I think he will take on the mids coming forward to rest.

We're still a small defender short.
You're probably right, Lyon is a big Baker fan too, hopefully he has freshened up from a 2 week break…
Injuries/Suspensions are the big unknowns this week, it could be as many as 6 outs…

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

This is probably well documented somewhere else but how did people think Lynch went before the finger injury.

Why wouldn't he keep his spot if he's fit to play?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
To bring in more of these "skinnies" would be dangerous against the likes of the Pies.
This is quite ironic coming up against the pies,
They have been prepared to put skinny kids in for a couple of years now,
Hows this
Thomas, Pendlebury, Macaffer, Dawes (not skinny), Wellingham, Dick, Brown, Reid, Macarthy, Beams, Blair & Sidebottom

12 players, all 23 and under - average games played 50

They weren't all great in their first 10 games…

Kosi, Raph, McQualter, Baker, Gram might help us win this week - who cares, as far as I can tell, they're not taking us to the next premiership.

shoot me down…

remember flogging the pies by 80 points in 09? wasn't that great…
Bu they were prepared to take a risk and now look at them… If Walsh, Simpkin, Ledger & Heyne are playing well - then reward them.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:This is probably well documented somewhere else but how did people think Lynch went before the finger injury.

Why wouldn't he keep his spot if he's fit to play?
Well he would keep it IMO

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I know young Ledger looked good in the NAB cup games he played, but has he played enough games since to warrant a call-up? And I have never noticed his name amongst the best players either. They are the ones that should be called up.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

b.t.w - is walsh a skinny kid?
23 YO, 195cm & 97KGs…

degruch
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:remember flogging the pies by 80 points in 09? wasn't that great…
Bu they were prepared to take a risk and now look at them… If Walsh, Simpkin, Ledger & Heyne are playing well - then reward them.
Why would you inject new players into a team that's playing OK, unless you really needed to? I doubt there be anyone on debut against the Pies, and a win with senior campaigners will do more for our season than injuring some kids on debut.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Why would you inject new players into a team that's playing OK, unless you really needed to? I doubt there be anyone on debut against the Pies, and a win with senior campaigners will do more for our season than injuring some kids on debut.
If you check my post, I haven't said to DROP anyone…
The only changes i suggested are players out injured… there are 4 who could be injured and 2 who could be suspended

realdeal
Club Player

dragit wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
IN:
Ledger, Walsh

Let Kosi, Gram & Raph earn a recall by playing a few good VFL games, not one, we saw Gamble kick 6 the other week but nothing either side of that…

If Peake & Montagna are out suspended then maybe the door would open early for Gram/Raph.
It's maddness to bring in 2 newbies Vs the Pies and keep Winmar and Sippa in also. They would tear us a hole bigger than Kimmie!!!
MADNESS maybe…
However this integrity in selection process is a real joke…
It takes Lynch 6 good games to get selected…
Polo plays 2 half decent ones - gets a game
Kosi - I don't need to say anything
Walsh/Simpkin - frequently in the best - no games yet

I totally understand the need for experience, but dressing up the selection criteria as having integrity around form is ridiculous. The favorites get plenty of chances when they are terribly out of form, and the wanna-bes have to star for many weeks to even get a sniff.

If we hadn't lost a few close ones this year, the truth is we may still not have seen Cripps, Sippos, Winmar, Johnson,
And walk-up starts would still be McQualter, Raph, Gamble
Integrity of selection also means picking the appropriate player. We've been short an inside mid which is why Polo got a chance and has so far done ok. Who was Lynch meant to come in for during those weeks? Kosi has been lucky but who would you have replaced him with? Stanley?

We may not have seen these kids if we'd been winning but we also may have seen them, who knows... Finally we have some kids that have been 'deserving' a game as opposed to not deserving one due to form/ injury like the past few years.. The fact is that we've played a heap of young players with more to come.. we're going about it the smart way not just throwing them all in at once.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:b.t.w - is walsh a skinny kid?
23 YO, 195cm & 97KGs…
Good match up for Dawes (if no Blake...who may take L Brown anyway)? How is Walsh one-on-one? Dawes always seems to go well against us, he can play far enough up the ground to get 50m shots at goal (in his range), needs someone to go with him.

realdeal
Club Player

dragit wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
IN:
Ledger, Walsh

MADNESS maybe…
However this integrity in selection process is a real joke…
It takes Lynch 6 good games to get selected…
Polo plays 2 half decent ones - gets a game
Kosi - I don't need to say anything
Walsh/Simpkin - frequently in the best - no games yet

I totally understand the need for experience, but dressing up the selection criteria as having integrity around form is ridiculous. The favorites get plenty of chances when they are terribly out of form, and the wanna-bes have to star for many weeks to even get a sniff.

If we hadn't lost a few close ones this year, the truth is we may still not have seen Cripps, Sippos, Winmar, Johnson,
And walk-up starts would still be McQualter, Raph, Gamble
Integrity of selection also means picking the appropriate player. We've been short an inside mid which is why Polo got a chance and has so far done ok. Who was Lynch meant to come in for during those weeks? Kosi has been lucky but who would you have replaced him with? Stanley?

We may not have seen these kids if we'd been winning but we also may have seen them, who knows... Finally we have some kids that have been 'deserving' a game as opposed to not deserving one due to form/ injury like the past few years.. The fact is that we've played a heap of young players with more to come.. we're going about it the smart way not just throwing them all in at once.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
degruch wrote:
The only changes i suggested are players out injured… there are 4 who could be injured and 2 who could be suspended
Who's suggesting dropping anyone? I'm talking about replacing injured players with senior players...not debutants.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:b.t.w - is walsh a skinny kid?
23 YO, 195cm & 97KGs…
Nah, he's quite a large lad.

Heyne is also quite solid, as is Johnson and Simpkin.

The main skinnies are the first yearers plus Nicholas W.

Nonetheless it's imperative we field the team that will give us the best chance of success against the Pies. Forget all these "they won't be in our next premiership" comments. If an older player or two can come in and help us get across the line this week then they should be considered.

Plenty of time left in the season to experiment.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'm pretty confident that we would not have seen 6 debutantes if we were 6 + 3…
Lynch should have played in front of McQualter, Gamble & Raph this year IMO

dragit
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
dragit wrote:
degruch wrote:
Who's suggesting dropping anyone? I'm talking about replacing injured players with senior players...not debutants.
I'm talking about putting in players who have been performing consistently in the 2's, not just from some memory of a great performance back in 2007…

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Certainly the wrong game to add debutanats unless they are definately the right player for the job. Why would it matter if they come in this week or in 3 weeks time. It isnt going to make in any difference in either short or long term to the player but may make a difference to the result.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Certainly the wrong game to add debutanats unless they are definately the right player for the job. Why would it matter if they come in this week or in 3 weeks time. It isnt going to make in any difference in either short or long term to the player but may make a difference to the result.
True enough… maybe hold out a week or two for anymore, just hate seeing the old hats selected because of what they used to do…

realdeal
Club Player

dragit wrote:I'm pretty confident that we would not have seen 6 debutantes if we were 6 + 3…
Yeah, maybe not 6 but im sure we would've seen a few still. Remember Lyon was talking up Cripps before the season. He'd never done that before.

Lynch is being played before those other players atm however before that run of 6 good games in the VFL he hadn't shown much, he needed to do it over a few games to prove himself. McQ and Gamble were played as fwds too, Lynch hasn't been playing fwd.

On another note, when does the Rising star nomination for the week get announced?

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote:
dragit wrote:I'm pretty confident that we would not have seen 6 debutantes if we were 6 + 3…
Yeah, maybe not 6 but im sure we would've seen a few still. Remember Lyon was talking up Cripps before the season. He'd never done that before.

Lynch is being played before those other players atm however before that run of 6 good games in the VFL he hadn't shown much, he needed to do it over a few games to prove himself. McQ and Gamble were played as fwds too, Lynch hasn't been playing fwd.

On another note, when does the Rising star nomination for the week get announced?
usually today if a player doesnt wreck it via twitter.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Certainly the wrong game to add debutanats unless they are definately the right player for the job. Why would it matter if they come in this week or in 3 weeks time. It isnt going to make in any difference in either short or long term to the player but may make a difference to the result.
True enough… maybe hold out a week or two for anymore, just hate seeing the old hats selected because of what they used to do…
And plus bringing more debutants this week would be lambs to the slaughter. It just wouldn't do a players introduction to the big time any good at all. You have to pick you matches and this week is going to be messy. I say time to put a few of the kids back out to kindy and bring in the list cloggers. They will be gone years end anyway and the result is meaningless this week in terms of the future. Yes a win would help development and belief in the game plan, blah blah blah but the reality is we is really up against it this week.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Raph would be first player in. Big occasion player, and B.O.G. yesterday, apparently. Next in would be Walsh, Sandys 2nd best yesterday (of the Saints players) and although a debutante, he has experienced big games in his previous code. And he is not a skinny type. Would be a good match for one of the Maggie big forwards.

suss
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
dragit wrote:
And plus bringing more debutants this week would be lambs to the slaughter. It just wouldn't do a players introduction to the big time any good at all. You have to pick you matches and this week is going to be messy. I say time to put a few of the kids back out to kindy and bring in the list cloggers. They will be gone years end anyway and the result is meaningless this week in terms of the future. Yes a win would help development and belief in the game plan, blah blah blah but the reality is we is really up against it this week.
We've won more games with the youngsters in team than the list cloggers...why the hell would you go back to a losing formula just because you're playing the #2 team? Sounds counter-intuative to me.

I think Ross will play Ledger too. Several people on here seem to think that you need to be dominating the VFL before Ross gives you a game. Wrongo bongo. If he sees something special in a player, then that player will get a game. Neither Cripps, Syposs or Winmar had been getting 30 touches a week before they got a call-up.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
dragit wrote:
We've won more games with the youngsters in team than the list cloggers...why the hell would you go back to a losing formula just because you're playing the #2 team? Sounds counter-intuative to me.

I think Ross will play Ledger too. Several people on here seem to think that you need to be dominating the VFL before Ross gives you a game. Wrongo bongo. If he sees something special in a player, then that player will get a game. Neither Cripps, Syposs or Winmar had been getting 30 touches a week before they got a call-up.
Sounds counter-intuative to me. Which seasoned finals campaigners shall we line our debutants up against? You pick the best guys for the job at AFL level, then you look to VFL performers. A win will do a lot for the club. Who wants a loss, and a repeat of what we did to Lynch last year?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Lots of different views on this.

In the end I'm happy to back in Ross whichever way he goes.