Ross wants a forward (even at a cost), so...

The cost may have to involve a trade with someone on the list that has cache. I can't see anyone that other teams want that we could give up without being significantly weakened.

Non negotiables with cache
Roo, Lenny, BJ, Dal, Monty, Fish, Jimmy, Armo, Steven, Ben

Middle tier - probably not enough value

Ray, Peake, Schneids, Gram, Kosi (maybe), Dawson

Too old

Bakes, Milney, Gardy, Blake

Kids - little value yet unless part of a trade or wants to return home

Sippos, Cripps, Ledger, Winmar, Archer

The rest no value

Tiprat44

PJ wrote:The cost may have to involve a trade with someone on the list that has cache. I can't see anyone that other teams want that we could give up without being significantly weakened.

Too old

The rest no value
Gram and a pick?

"Schneider, here is Hayes belting forward....GODDARD!"

Gram and a pick?
Depends on who

Charlie Dixon anyone??

Tiprat44

PJ wrote:
Gram and a pick?
Depends on who
Think we may be able to send gram and a second rounder back to his old team Brissie for Mitch Clark. (Especially with Vossy at the helm :wink: )

Tiprat44

Cairnsman wrote:Charlie Dixon anyone??
No chance unless we give up goddard imo

Tiprat44 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Charlie Dixon anyone??
No chance unless we give up goddard imo
Well for Goddard I'd want at least two first round draft picks as well. That would be a win win deal.

SaintTom wrote:Wait, regardless, I might have missed something major, but when did he say he wanted a forward at a cost?
After match interview with Tim Watson.

It should be bleedin' obvious by now that we need a big bodied full forward who can contribute regularly with a few goals and make big contest for our smalls to feed off. Kosi a few years back sort of filled that role, but those days are clearly gone. I would almost take a punt on Fev for a couple of years, as he would be cheap and ticks a few (but not all) boxes.

spert wrote:It should be bleedin' obvious by now that we need a big bodied full forward who can contribute regularly with a few goals and make big contest for our smalls to feed off. Kosi a few years back sort of filled that role, but those days are clearly gone. I would almost take a punt on Fev for a couple of years, as he would be cheap and ticks a few (but not all) boxes.
I take it you didnt go to Sandy last week. Fev was a disgrace last week. He didnt tick any boxes unless they were negative ones. He refused to chance and tackle and made Tom Walsh look like Matthew Scarlett.

Jack Darling or Sam Day :shock:

Don't know how they can make it happen though.

Hold your ground :shock:
True Blue Sainter

Why don't we recruit Tom Lynch just so we can have two of them?

The Saints are coming!
Tiprat44

True Blue Sainter wrote:Why don't we recruit Tom Lynch just so we can have two of them?
or a straight swap of them :lol:

Why don't we recruit Tom Lynch just so we can have two of them?
It might be better if he stays opposition...I can just hear the call now

Lynch picks it up across half back and goes looking to bring it in but it's cut off by Lynch who wheels around looking for a team mate, ball moves to centre half forward where Lynch recovers well from the turn over but there's no one but lynch in front of him.

Barry Hall (to go with Fev as twin spearheads?) :wink: :lol: :lol: WELL if someone can contemplate getting Fevola why not Hall? :roll: :roll:

Tiprat44

thejiggingsaint wrote:Barry Hall (to go with Fev as twin spearheads?) :wink: :lol: :lol: WELL if someone can contemplate getting Fevola why not Hall? :roll: :roll:
I've got a great idea. Let's bring Gehrig out of retirement! :roll:

:lol: GOLD! :lol:

Tiprat44 wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Barry Hall (to go with Fev as twin spearheads?) :wink: :lol: :lol: WELL if someone can contemplate getting Fevola why not Hall? :roll: :roll:
But why stop there?

Plugger has now made his peace with the Saints. Just whack a Guerra hairpiece on top of the old boy and plonk him in the goal square :)

Tiprat44

Tiprat44 wrote:
But why stop there?

Plugger has now made his peace with the Saints. Just whack a Guerra hairpiece on top of the old boy and plonk him in the goal square :)
Maybe if we give up our first rounder we could poach Dunstall as well :lol:

Anyone who wants Fevola is as big an idiot as he is. He would be poison and is a has been.
He did a lot for Brisbane.
If we are going hunting for a forward we need someone who will give us 100+ games.
Mind you we will have to replace Roo sometime in the next few years, so we really need two.

PJ wrote:The cost may have to involve a trade with someone on the list that has cache. I can't see anyone that other teams want that we could give up without being significantly weakened.

Too old

The rest no value
AS far as I'm concerned if we could get a quality fwd to our club there are only 4 players I wouldn't trade (highlighted)

Lenny I love the bloke and everything that he's about, but who would want 31 yr old (probably 32 when he's back playing) coming off a knee reconstruction? He goes in the too old basket, but if someone was stupid enough to offer us a good young fwd like Kennedy for Judd, I would jump at it.

Not saying the others on your list aren't good players, but I reckon they're all replaceable - for the right deal. Roo and BJ, no way. Clubs are built around those two players. Chips is the only one who can take a mark in our backline so has to stay. Ben will likely be too valuable down the track.

The one player who you missed in the middle tier, who I reckon has the most trade value is Gilbert.

IF we were to trade for a fwd you have to give something decent up. Gilbert to me is the most obvious. Still relatively young, has played quality footy in the past, and would/could improve most teams.

I can't see any of the above scenarios happening though. Just reckon it was RL being wishful and speaking his thoughts out loud.

Tiprat44

Too old

The rest no value
AS far as I'm concerned if we could get a quality fwd to our club there are only 4 players I wouldn't trade (highlighted)

Lenny I love the bloke and everything that he's about, but who would want 31 yr old (probably 32 when he's back playing) coming off a knee reconstruction? He goes in the too old basket, but if someone was stupid enough to offer us a good young fwd like Kennedy for Judd, I would jump at it.

Not saying the others on your list aren't good players, but I reckon they're all replaceable - for the right deal. Roo and BJ, no way. Clubs are built around those two players. Chips is the only one who can take a mark in our backline so has to stay. Ben will likely be too valuable down the track.

The one player who you missed in the middle tier, who I reckon has the most trade value is Gilbert.

IF we were to trade for a fwd you have to give something decent up. Gilbert to me is the most obvious. Still relatively young, has played quality footy in the past, and would/could improve most teams.

I can't see any of the above scenarios happening though. Just reckon it was RL being wishful and speaking his thoughts out loud.
Think we would have a very real chance of trading gilbert for taylor walker.

3rd generation saint wrote:Anyone who wants Fevola is as big an idiot as he is. He would be poison and is a has been.
He did a lot for Brisbane.
If we are going hunting for a forward we need someone who will give us 100+ games.
Mind you we will have to replace Roo sometime in the next few years, so we really need two.
Well 3G Saint, I dont go around calling people idiots for tossing a few left-field ideas around on a Sunday arvo. Taking a punt on Fev would cost us nothing, and even half-pissed he would probably do more than the current vacuum at FF we have had for too long. It would be an easy fix and at least give us another experienced big-body in the forward line to take the pressure off Roo, and would make contest spillages for the smalls- we could chuck him in the ruck and if he goes down, well bad luck..nothing lost. In the meantime, our recruiters could go out and get a big 100+game full forward, many of whom grown on trees and are there for the picking.

How about looking at our own list form for a forward! Develop Tommy WALSH. Develop Tom Lynch. Maybe Sam Fisher. He was recruited as a forward. All is not lost.

I agree- Walsh is the only player who has the body size and agility to play FF. Lynch is a flanker if played as a forward, and Sam Fisher is our most consistant defender, so he stays put.